PDA

View Full Version : 1911 issue post reassembly

DTC709
06-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Hey everyone. I've got a Norinco NP-28 1911 9mm. Purchased second hand and I've put close to 1000 rounds down range with it since bought with no issues. So I decided to go for a full strip down and clean this time around instead of the normal field strip and clean. Being my first time with a 1911 apart, I watched several videos and took my sweet time to make sure I had everything figured out before it came apart.

Anyways upon reassembly I have issues with the pistol, just dry firing haven't been able to take it to the range because of these issues. I cock the hammer and sometimes I'll get two or three trigger clicks before it actually fires, then 2 out of 3 times it will only drop the hammer to the half cocked position. I've disassembled and checked everything with no luck. Looking for some insight! Can supply photos and/ or videos of anything you might need to see/ hear!

Steveo9mm
06-04-2016, 02:45 PM
took mine apart once. took me an hour to get the seer spring back in. never again.

DTC709
06-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Yeah that's the boat I'm going to be in if I can get this remedied.

DTC709
06-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Admins can close/ delete this post

Mark-II
06-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Got it sorted?

It gets easier with repetition.

Trick to the sear spring is to install it after you've got the guts back in but before you do the grip safety. Lay it in and trap it in place with the mainspring housing slid about halfway home, then install grip safety, drop the hammer, line up the hammer strut and drive the MSH home.

Easy peasy :)

Took me a year to work up the nerve to detail strip my first 1911. Now I don't even think about it. Much simpler than many modern pistols, save for the Glock. Simplicity of having more pins than internal parts is the one thing that I truly liked about those guns...

DTC709
06-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the input! Pretty sure I wasn't lining the strut up perfectly with the MSH. All works fine now. The only bonus of this situation is now I can almost do it with my eyes shut and know the name and detailed function of every part from all the reading I've done. They truly are fairly simple !

Mark-II
06-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Awesome.

They're really not that bad. A trick to getting fiddly bits like sear and disconnect in is to stick them together with grease. I grease the ignition parts anyway.

I've yet to fit a safety.... I want to get a 1911A1 style one to finish back dating the look of my series 70 government. Got to find one that isn't needing a re-blue or is $100 first...