PDA

View Full Version : Re-examining gun crime: letters

jwirecom109
07-31-2012, 08:39 AM
Re-examining gun crime

Re: Gun Nations, July 28.

The statistical display of gun ownership, firearm homicides and deaths by firearms has at least one flaw. Israeli homes have many more firearms than the chart would suggest, as soldiers often come home on furlough with their weapons. Moreover, although the ratio of guns per 100,000 people in Venezuela, for example, is depicted to be only about 50% higher than in Israel, the rate of homicides per capita is more than 400 times greater. This appears to confirm what gun enthusiasts have argued: Itís not guns that kill people, rather it is the society in which their owners are raised.
Steve Samuel, Toronto.

The most important statistic is how many people were killed by guns in a country, rather than the overall number of firearms. The United States has three homicides committed with firearms for every 100,000 people. Compared to Honduras (68), El Salvador (40), Jamaica (39), Venezuela (39), Guatemala (35), Trinidad & Tobago (27) and Columbia (27), it is amazing how restrained and guarded our American neighbours are with their 89 firearms for every 100 citizens. In Honduras, there are only six firearms for every 100 people, yet they have 64 homicides by firearm per 100,000 people.

Once again, this proves that guns donít kill people, but rather, it is what a few specific people choose to do with their guns that kills people.
Gordon Akum, Toronto.

Guns can only be combated with guns. That seems to be the mentality seizing people in Colorado after the recent Dark Knight massacre, as there has been a large increase in applications for gun licenses in the area since the tragedy.

Although a gun provides a certain level of protection, it pales in comparison to the danger created by the thousands of twitchy fingered, nervous first-time gun owners on the streets. In a mass shooting, the chances of such people shooting someone other than the perpetrator would probably be much higher. Instead, the police need to be more alert and post more officers in public areas.

Given the rising frequency of these shootings in the United States, itís time the government sat down and analyzed how many have been stopped by an armed citizen, as opposed to the police. If it turns out that most were stopped by law enforcement officers, then the theory of equivalent arms preventing gun violence goes out the window.
Azhar Goraya, Maple, Ont.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/07/31/todays-letters-the-great-pipeline-swindle/

Rory McCanuck
07-31-2012, 10:51 AM
I somehow think Azhar Goraya wouldn't like the true numbers if they were presented.
I don't remember hearing about any innocents being hit by gunfire from a civilian
using a firearm to stop a madman, and that's an instance the antis would be all over.
I'm not saying it hasn't happened, it likely has, but I don't remember hearing about it.

It would also be interesting to see how many shootings were stopped by citizens rather
than authorities, and how often the shooter just stopped.

50calshooter
07-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Please, the average armed citizen is way more trained and competent with a firearm then most police officers. Not saying that police aren't competent, I'm just saying that the average citizen visits the range alot more often.

jrcbecher
07-31-2012, 04:03 PM
When a crazy man has a gun its too late for the Doctors or shrinks to do anything the answer is make it safe and then let the authorities sort it out.

3MTA3
08-01-2012, 04:47 PM
The deterent factor in gun possesion (e.g CCW) is very difficult to measure, would it have been a factor in the "gun free zone" theatre of Aurora? - I doubt it , but I guess we will never know.