PDA

View Full Version : Pool Help - inground

TheHydrant
06-07-2016, 03:38 AM
Looking for some advice or even possible solution for my *sigh* pool. How do I detect a leak?
I'm losing water and I don't know how or from where, and I don't just want to start digging without knowing where the water is leaking from. It's not even a consistent leak. It can stay at a level for days and then it's like someone pulled the plug out of a bathtub and the water loses several inches in a single day. It slows usually below the skimmer which at least indicates the depth of the leak. I tried doing a dye test around the skimmer and that didn't reveal anything. I did the dye test around all of the jets and no results. my liner isn't the nicest, but it seems water tight. I thought of having a pressure test done but I want to try all DIY options before I shell out the money for someone to come.

firemachine69
06-07-2016, 05:40 AM
Grab a snorkel mask and go to the bottom. Make sure you vacuum very, very well before checking it out. :)

IJ22
06-07-2016, 02:08 PM
I had a crack at the bottom of the intake "pipe" in the skimmer once, where it connects to the line going to the pump. The two symptoms I recall (besides dropping water level) was a noticeable decrease in suction when vacuuming, which got worse as the water level dropped. Also there were lots of bubbles in the pump as air got sucked into the line.

IJ22
06-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Grab a snorkel mask and go to the bottom. Make sure you vacuum very, very well before checking it out. :)

Lol, and if you see a hole don't try to plug it with your finger. :)

TheHydrant
06-08-2016, 04:06 AM
I had a crack at the bottom of the intake "pipe" in the skimmer once, where it connects to the line going to the pump. The two symptoms I recall (besides dropping water level) was a noticeable decrease in suction when vacuuming, which got worse as the water level dropped. Also there were lots of bubbles in the pump as air got sucked into the line.

Bubbles you say.....hmmm. interesting...I have noticed that each time I start the pump it runs dry for a few seconds until it finally draws some water and circulates. I just assumed gravity was pulling the water back when I turned the pump off so each time I started the pump it needed to re-prime.
Were you able to repair the crack or was it a full replace?

SIR VEYOR
06-08-2016, 09:01 AM
You can now get "flex-seal" in paint cans, not just rattle cans. Might be an option to try if anything else sounds expensive or summer destroying.

IJ22
06-08-2016, 10:25 AM
Bubbles you say.....hmmm. interesting...I have noticed that each time I start the pump it runs dry for a few seconds until it finally draws some water and circulates. I just assumed gravity was pulling the water back when I turned the pump off so each time I started the pump it needed to re-prime.
Were you able to repair the crack or was it a full replace?

Yeah that's normal, but after it regains it's prime and runs for a few minutes you should have a clear flow of water....in a perfect world, such that you can't even tell there's water in the pump. If there are a lot of bubbles swirling around then at least you know the leak is somewhere on the suction side of the lines.

In my case it was a simple plumbing repair, after a major PIA digging out around the skimmer so I could get to it. Those things go deeper than they look lol.

coastal
06-08-2016, 10:54 AM
I build ponds, and have great success finding leaks. The first thing you always do is fill it up to your optimum level. Turn everything off and leave it until it leaks down to its lowest point. If it doesn't leak much or is going very slowly...compared to the times you say its like draining a bath tub, you might start looking for leaks in the plumbing system. If it drains fast with everything shut off, look to anything that goes through the liner at the depth it stops leaking down to. Skimmer flange, jets, the obvious stuff. If the liner puncturing hardware seems OK... You get to look for physical damage at the water level.

Unless a badger got in the pool, or your liner is old and starting to uv crack I doubt physical damage would be the case, but a mechanical failure of a bulkhead fitting through liner, or old silicone are high probabilities.

If it leaks more when the pump is running, and you can't see water pouring out.... You're in for a lot of work.

Zinilin
06-08-2016, 11:49 AM
If you left the filter full of water overwinter then check the underside of the filter for a crack.

dakotamar
06-08-2016, 12:09 PM
you sure it is not just evaporation? been pretty hot up till the last couple days, my pool needed to be topped up. do you put a solar blanket over it during the day?

TheHydrant
06-08-2016, 01:45 PM
definitely not evaporating, even though my backyard is in full sun all day. No way I'm losing 6" of water overnight through evaporation.
As soon as possible I will inspect all accessible fittings. Maybe I'll be lucky and it's just a couple of loose screws at the mouth of the skimmer. It's not leaking at the filter/pump. Everything on the outside is dry. Checked the waste out also to see if water was escaping and it's also dry. It's gotta be leaking into the ground somewhere.

dakotamar
06-08-2016, 08:03 PM
yea, not 6" mine was losing 1". may want to walk around the pool and see if the ground is spongy anywhere. when my return pipe broke the ground was all wet where the water was filling into the ground from a foot below.

Dak.

definitely not evaporating, even though my backyard is in full sun all day. No way I'm losing 6" of water overnight through evaporation.
As soon as possible I will inspect all accessible fittings. Maybe I'll be lucky and it's just a couple of loose screws at the mouth of the skimmer. It's not leaking at the filter/pump. Everything on the outside is dry. Checked the waste out also to see if water was escaping and it's also dry. It's gotta be leaking into the ground somewhere.

TheHydrant
06-13-2016, 01:54 PM
Well I'm stumped. The water level had been holding steady at optimal level for about 4 days. It seems to drain out whenever it feels like it. I have been seeing some bubbles in the pump window so my dig down by the suction side and see if it's wet. All I have to go on right now

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

TheHydrant
06-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Ok so I bought this stuff to try. Seems it works similar to the leak sealer you would use to fix a leaking radiator. $50 for 909ml. You read that correctly...900 and 9ml. :confused: sounds expensive but if it actually works then this would be a cheap fix.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160616/6320033827b1b47bf81639662354fae0.jpg

dakotamar
06-16-2016, 04:19 PM
did you check that cleaner hose for cracks? that could be a source of air in the pump. water level still holding? let me know how the crack stuff works, i;ve got a small leak in my hot tub it may fix.

Ok so I bought this stuff to try. Seems it works similar to the leak sealer you would use to fix a leaking radiator. $50 for 909ml. You read that correctly...900 and 9ml. :confused: sounds expensive but if it actually works then this would be a cheap fix.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160616/6320033827b1b47bf81639662354fae0.jpg

blacksmithden
06-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Don't know how I missed commenting here. LOL. So....I'm going to be of absolutely no help here. None what so ever. I am however going to make a suggestion. After being the owner of a hot tub for 2 years......for you pool......I would suggest about 15 dump truck loads of sand.....3 of top soil.....add sod.....pool is now fixed. At one time, I actually thought I wanted one. After having to babysit that stupid hot tub for 2 years....forget that noise. I'll take the kids to a hotel with a pool once a month, and still be ahead financially, AND MENTALLY. :)

FALover
06-17-2016, 01:01 AM
Don't know how I missed commenting here. LOL. So....I'm going to be of absolutely no help here. None what so ever. I am however going to make a suggestion. After being the owner of a hot tub for 2 years......for you pool......I would suggest about 15 dump truck loads of sand.....3 of top soil.....add sod.....pool is now fixed. At one time, I actually thought I wanted one. After having to babysit that stupid hot tub for 2 years....forget that noise. I'll take the kids to a hotel with a pool once a month, and still be ahead financially, AND MENTALLY. :)

I will be helping my bil fill his pool in this year. If there is a true definition of money pit, then pools and hot tubs are that definition. The time and money spent to install and maintain them does not equal the enjoyment of use. The lowering of property values should also be factored in as well as the danger to pets and non swimmers.

SIR VEYOR
06-17-2016, 03:21 AM
I will be helping my bil fill his pool in this year. If there is a true definition of money pit, then pools and hot tubs are that definition. The time and money spent to install and maintain them does not equal the enjoyment of use. The lowering of property values should also be factored in as well as the danger to pets and non swimmers.

If you're filling it in, why not look at making the deep end a root cellar, something else useful? Maybe a rec room for the kiddies, or a reloading space....

TheHydrant
06-17-2016, 06:52 AM
It has been made abundantly clear to my wife, who chose this house, that this is the last pool we ever own. And that once our boy is older and no longer uses it I cannot guarantee that the pool doesn't simply vanish one day.

IJ22
06-17-2016, 08:48 AM
I like pools. Very relaxing to just sit by the pool with a beer after a hard day. Surround it with those Polynesian bamboo torches and it's like being in Hawaii after dark.

SpenceyHR
06-17-2016, 01:32 PM
If you're filling it in, why not look at making the deep end a root cellar, something else useful? Maybe a rec room for the kiddies, or a reloading space....

Doomsday bunker.

TheHydrant
06-19-2016, 08:07 AM
did you check that cleaner hose for cracks? that could be a source of air in the pump. water level still holding? let me know how the crack stuff works, i;ve got a small leak in my hot tub it may fix.
I might do a second treatment with the leak sealer. Seems to be working. So far so good.