PDA

View Full Version : Remington 783 : The good, the bad and the ugly ? (anybody owns one ?)

RobSmith
07-04-2016, 06:09 AM
Came across one in 30-06 at an event I attended, this constitutes by far the most "modern" firearm I have ever owned and also the first scoped centerfire I have ever owned (other than a 77 year old Russian Mosin Nagant dressed up as a PU sniper rifle so I don't think that counts). Now that these have been on the market for a couple of years are there anything I should know about them ? Thinking of possibly dressing it up with aftermarket parts (seems to be slim pickings so far), first order of business would obviously to get rid of every single piece of plastic <shudder> I can find on it. I know Boyds makes stocks, Pacific makes bottom metal but nobody seems to make 30-06 specific magazines so far. Anyways hoping somebody here has spent time behind one and let me know what to expect. Thanks

kennymo
07-04-2016, 06:47 AM
I don't own one, but have been around a few, particularly a friend's .308. Nothing really wrong with the rifle, they aren't the prettiest, some rough machining here and there, but they work and most seem to shoot pretty well. So long as you aren't expecting the fit and finish of a $1000 rifle in one that runs about $400 you should be fine. Haven't seen a lot of people accessorizing them yet though. Everyone I know picked them up for kick around hunting rifles, or shoving them behind the seat of the truck.

50 B.M.G.
07-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Came across one in 30-06 at an event I attended, this constitutes by far the most "modern" firearm I have ever owned and also the first scoped centerfire I have ever owned (other than a 77 year old Russian Mosin Nagant dressed up as a PU sniper rifle so I don't think that counts). Now that these have been on the market for a couple of years are there anything I should know about them ? Thinking of possibly dressing it up with aftermarket parts (seems to be slim pickings so far), first order of business would obviously to get rid of every single piece of plastic <shudder> I can find on it. I know Boyds makes stocks, Pacific makes bottom metal but nobody seems to make 30-06 specific magazines so far. Anyways hoping somebody here has spent time behind one and let me know what to expect. Thanks

Expect nothing. That way you are never disappointed.

Justice
07-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Very much doubt you'll see any aftermarket stuff for a 783. Entry level hunting rifles rarely sell well enough for the companies who make that stuff to bother.
The 783 is supposedly Remington branded version of the Marlin XL7 as well. Not that that matters.

RobSmith
07-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Yup, they seem to have rolled up a little of several rifles designs into one that works. Reviews seem favorable anyway. A multi thousand dollar top shelf rifle it ain't but it looks like it's worth tinkering with anyway. From what I understand they're selling pretty well.

elimsprint
07-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Jerry @Mystic Precision seems to like them http://mysticprecision.com/2016/01/remington-783-the-best-donor-for-prsmag-fed-rifles/

Tbolt
07-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Jerry @Mystic Precision seems to like them http://mysticprecision.com/2016/01/remington-783-the-best-donor-for-prsmag-fed-rifles/

Thanks for the link, a buddy of mine just won one at a charity shoot, and I will send him this link.

RobSmith
07-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Sweet, thanks.

elimsprint
07-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Glad I could help.

Rory McCanuck
07-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Very much doubt you'll see any aftermarket stuff for a 783. Entry level hunting rifles rarely sell well enough for the companies who make that stuff to bother.
The 783 is supposedly Remington branded version of the Marlin XL7 as well. Not that that matters.
Wow.
Walk into a gun store, and look at the number of Axises, 783s and Ruger Americans there are compared to all the other rifles combined.
Or maybe it's just a cheapskate Manitoba thing, but just about everyone has an Axis or four.

kennymo
07-04-2016, 08:13 PM
Wow.
Walk into a gun store, and look at the number of Axises, 783s and Ruger Americans there are compared to all the other rifles combined.
Or maybe it's just a cheapskate Manitoba thing, but just about everyone has an Axis or four.

I may be the exception.... But the next coyote rifle is likely going to be a 783 if I don't get a screaming deal on a Savage Hog Hunter in .223.... One of which is currently haunting me at the gun library for an almost good enough price....meaning nearly what they were new a year and a half ago, but well below the new Canadian Peso value at the gun counter..... Uncle bought a snow camo Axis in 30.06. It does shoot, I'll give it that....but it might give your mule a run for it's money in the bite at the back end department ;D.

All that aside, most of the bargain rifles are selling like hotcakes. It's been ages since I hit a gun store and there wasn't at least one guy checking out or walking out with a 783, an Axis, American or one of those Mossberg thingys.

Oh, last dedicated coyote gun was a Stevens 200 with a Rifle Basix trigger installed. I love a bargain....probably that Manitoba Ukranian Pollack thing.....

zulu
08-27-2016, 08:50 AM
They arnt bad and get the job don't as far as a hunting rifle go and maybe in the future some builds...
I think you will like this rifle more then you like having 300 dollars

Allen
11-01-2016, 11:12 AM
I picked one up in .223. Picked it up for some coyotes. The magazine is actually metal, minus the bottom part to match the stock. I'm definitely not upset with it for something I paid $400 for, brand new. As far as accessorizing goes, you could swap out the stock and the no name scope. If you're looking to do more than that, you're probably better off buying a different rifle altogether.

murph83
11-01-2016, 11:51 AM
I own one in .308, nothing fancy. I would say the 783 is just as good as any other budget level rifle, I have used just about all of them over the years, at one time or another. I found the scope that the 783 comes with to be "ok" at best, and like any other setup, one can upgrade the scope if one so chooses. Oh, the 783 is a huge upgrade from the disaster that was the Remington 770.

Why not?
11-01-2016, 05:52 PM
I bought one in 7mm Rem Mag a while back because I had lucked into a big find of 7mm Mag ammo. From the very first the rifle has exhibited very fine accuracy, and has the fastest 7mm barrel I have ever owned...... 150 gr loads at well over 3100 fps, and 160s at near 3100.

It is also one of the smoothest operating bolts I have used. Basically a Marlin XL rifle with a detachable mag.

Now they just need to make it available in 9.3X62 for the European market, and those of us here who know. ;D
Ted