PDA

View Full Version : Affordable rifle comparison

Calibre
07-05-2016, 06:16 PM
http://i2.wp.com/calibremag.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/DSC_0315.jpg?fit=783%2C520

So we don't post too much on here in our own section because although re-posting our articles serves a fantastic purpose for SEO, it always feels just a wee bit self-serving. I'd rather just bounce around and comment on the threads I do elsewhere!

But that said, this particular article I wrote, and I actually really enjoyed. I totally thought these guns were going to be almost identical but they were anything but. I sort of thought Savage had hit the $500 rifle formula with the Axis and, as a 783 owner, I kinda expected Ruger and Mossberg to follow suit in the sort of "evolutionary nor revolutionary" sort of formula Remington did with the 783. But Mossberg went the other direction entirely and price-engineered their normal rifle down to the entyr-level price point, and Ruger went off on their own and totally invented a gun with a layout all it's own with a tubular receiver, full-size bolt body and three-lug bolt head.

So I'm posting this here because I genuinely feel some folks may benefit from the comparison, and because I'm kinda satisfied with the result we got. And I really want a Ruger American now. Here's the review: http://calibremag.ca/four-affordable-rifles-compared/

kennymo
07-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Good article, but I always kind of figured the trend of cheaper to manufacture synthetic rifles went back to the Remington 710 around 2001, morphing into the slightly improved 770 after the proof of concept took off. Despite a number of shortcomings, they were fairly accurate rifles (the old man's 710 .243 is a tack driver, despite a rather disappointing trigger pull and a sticky bolt). Other manufacturers were quick to jump on board once they saw Remington raking in cash, with Savage releasing an extremely cheapened version of the 10/110 rifle, the Stevens 200. The Marlin XL7 was the next serious player, followed by Savage releasing the Edge, which followed the Remington blueprint with the addition of the barrel nut. The Edge was yanked off the shelves very briefly, being rebranded the Axis due to some sort of trademark dispute over the Edge name.

Just my take :p. I love a deal. Miss my Stevens 200 every now and then.....

Foxer
07-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Good article, but I always kind of figured the trend of cheaper to manufacture synthetic rifles went back to the Remington 710 around 2001, Savage was doing cheap rifle packages before that and doing it a lot better than the 710 (but then again, simply throwing the bullets at game was better than the 710). Manufactuers just got a lot more serious about it in recent years.

Foxer
07-05-2016, 07:09 PM
BTW- Great article Calibre - you can always tell when a writer is enjoying the subject, it's a very well put together piece and way beyond the fluff you often see with that kind of article. I daresay newbs would actually find that useful and informative, AND it actually would help with buying decisions without 'pooh poohing' any of them. Very well done. Proud to be a subscriber.

chuckbuster
07-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Interesting article. I have an American in .308 that surprised me; really surprised me, with it's accuracy. Shooting with my elbows braced on the bench to simulate field shooting, I recently let fly with an assortment of handloading leftovers at a life sized deer target at 100yds. Almost all rounds clustered into the heart, with a couple just outside that I knew were "bad" shots. I was suitably impressed as it seems to shoot as well as my considerably more expensive Tikka Whitetail Hunter which wears considerably more expensive glass. Having heard good things about the 783, I was most interested in what the author had to say about it. If they ever make one in left hand, I may well have to take a look at it as well.

kennymo
07-05-2016, 07:41 PM
Savage was doing cheap rifle packages before that and doing it a lot better than the 710 (but then again, simply throwing the bullets at game was better than the 710). Manufactuers just got a lot more serious about it in recent years.

I know there were all sorts of el cheapo Savages before the 710, but they were basically the 10/110 wearing a cheap ass stock, either a synthetic of some sort (much like their Stevens) or the cheapest chunk of lumber they could buy that week. Unless you go well back to the older bolt actions they made when the 99 was still the flagship rifle, but the 710/770 seems to have sparked much of the current blueprint for the el cheapo rifles in question, not the Edge/Axis (at least in my eyes). And the article does make mention of the earlier availability of low end Savages and Remington 700's (like my old man's 700 ADL with the blind magazine to cut costs), but the point is the origins of the current design trend. Let's face it, there's always been someone out there offering a cheap hunting gun....

And the 710 wasn't entirely as bad as it was made out to be. Especially once they abandoned most of the poly receiver bits for steel in it's final years. The old man's will throw five rounds of Federal .243 into roughly a quarter, nuff said there. Other than that, I hate the thing ;D.

lone-wolf
07-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Unless you go well back to the older bolt actions they made when the 99 was still the flagship rifle

I have a stevens 325 right now, with it's dbm, iron sights, and a good short length for bush wacking, they should bring it back(but easier to scope).
In .17hornet, be still my beating heart!

kennymo
07-05-2016, 07:56 PM
Anyone shooting the A-bolt III or the Winchester I-can't-remember-what-they-named-it while we're on the subject? I know they're slightly more money, closer in price to the cheaper Vanguards (love 'em), but I haven't had the chance to try either of them. Fondled the AB3 in store, it seemed alright. The Winchester I haven't seen around much at all, only once on the shelf of one of the local LGS that I recall....

Calibre
07-05-2016, 11:33 PM
I heard the AB3 was supposed to be a decent gun... Lord knows Browning generally seems to be a reliable manufacturer, if not a creative one. It is at a VERY crowded price point though.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Rory McCanuck
07-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Really enjoyed the article, thanks.
It's nice to read about guns that cost less than a truck :D