PDA

View Full Version : Cold Steel New Frontier Hawk - A short review

Drache
04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
First off if you look closely you can find these for decent prices online. The best place for me is Warriors and Wonders. I picked up two when they went on sale for $22 each. Now though they come with a sheath and the sale price is $30 each.

Anyways when I ordered mine they came without any sheathes. They came with cardboard coverings on the axe heads.

After taking off the cardboard I realized how sharp these were. They came to me EXTREMELY sharp, almost too sharp for an axe.

http://www.swords24.eu/images/products/en/Cold_Steel_Tomahawk_New_Frontier_Hawk_90FH.jpg

Overall Length: 22"
Hawk Length: 6"
Primary Edge: 3 1/4"
Steel: Drop Forged 1055 Carbon
Weight: 21 oz (approx.)
Handle: American Hickory

Now the crapiest part although maybe it's also a blessing is the heads are attached by a hex bolt through the back into the handle. Now after use the heads will become loose. All I did was tighten the bolt in the back and haven't had a problem since. Some people have removed the bolt, filled the hole with wood glue, then reinserted the bolt, and others have used a paracord wrap around the axe head and handle to hold it in place (and an emergency source of paracord if needed).

As for the handles they are real hickory and strong as hell. Cold Steal also sells replacement handles if you're crazy enough to break one. The long handle means you can get a good swing in. And with the perfectly shaped blade, you can cut through a lot. I've used mine for trees and even clean through the next of a deer.

They are also really nicely balanced if you're into throwing tomahawks. Once you find the perfect distance and throw this thing will stick with a nice thunk!

For the price I can't beat it!

Edward Teach
04-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I have the rifleman's hawk, with the hammer poll.

http://www.bladeseller.com/Cold%20Steel/images/90RH%20Riflemans%20Hawk.jpg

Drache
04-17-2012, 09:26 AM

I wanted one of them but they weren't on sale :p

lone-wolf
04-17-2012, 09:26 AM
22 bucks? cool

jwirecom109
04-17-2012, 09:33 AM
at that price i can arm a small native band and go raiding :D

Drache
04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
22 bucks? cool

They are $30 now, price went up because they now include a sort of sheath for the axe head or something like that.

lone-wolf
05-31-2012, 07:37 PM

Just put an order in for one of these things. I figured it'll replace my fiskars axe that I keep in the truck. See if it's worthy.

FlyingHigh
05-31-2012, 08:01 PM
i have a review of the Rifleman's Hawk in the review section here. I've been pretty impressed with it.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
05-31-2012, 08:06 PM
We sell all the Cold Steel Hawks - at 5% less than Warriors and Wonders because we include the GST :).. plus you get another 10% off as a GOC member so that makes us a better deal by 15%. Frontier Hawks should be back in stock by Monday June 3rd for anyone interested.
$29.95 including the sheath.
http://www.outdoorpursuitscanada.com/products/Cold-Steel-Frontier-Hawk-with-Sheath.html

appache
06-01-2012, 02:36 PM
I also have the rifleman model and the only thing i can say bad about it is the handle breaking after a lot of abusive trow.. But still one of the favorite piece i always keep in my jeep for trail, camping or hiking

JustBen
06-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Can anyone speak to how these compare to the Fiskars axes? I've been very impressed with my Fiskars so far...

lone-wolf
06-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Looking at the cs rifleman blade on youtube reviews, it looks like I'll be keeping the fiskars axe in the truck. I can't picture the rifleman being useful for trees across trails.

FlyingHigh
06-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Looking at the cs rifleman blade on youtube reviews, it looks like I'll be keeping the fiskars axe in the truck. I can't picture the rifleman being useful for trees across trails.

you'd be surprised. i don't have photos of it, but on the long weekend my friend and I cleared 2 trees about 8" in diameter from a deactivated road using rifleman hawks. they work surprisingly well. i also cut down the dead tree in the picture below for fire wood with my hawk. the thin blade penetrates deeply and with a chopping technique that allows you to throw chips out, the hawks work great. i personally can't stand fiskars axes. i hate them with a passion, so the Rifleman hawk rides in my truck and will even once i get a full size truck axe.

my only issue now? i threw my hawk at a tree and stuck it. i then proceeded to throw a full size axe at the tree. by fluke, the axe split the hawk handle. :( with the egg shaped handle on the hawk, i'll either have to fashion my own or try to find a new one somewhere.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/163356_10151757722005512_526830511_24808136_961853 393_n.jpg

Drache
06-02-2012, 11:16 AM
i'll either have to fashion my own or try to find a new one somewhere.

Cold Steel sells replacements that cost almost as much as a new axe.

FlyingHigh
06-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Cold Steel sells replacements that cost almost as much as a new axe.

bloody hell. lol. guess i'll try to make my own.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
06-02-2012, 12:04 PM
We sell replacement 30" handles that will fit any Cold Steel Hawk for $12.95 - you can leave it long or cut it down to your desired length.

Drache
06-02-2012, 12:54 PM
We sell replacement 30" handles that will fit any Cold Steel Hawk for $12.95 - you can leave it long or cut it down to your desired length.

THAT's where else I seen them for sale! Thanks for the heads up! I knew I seen them for sale somewhere and for the life of me couldn't remember.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
06-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Well as per usual if its a knife, tool or some other outdoor gear we are the place... ;)