PDA

View Full Version : CZ 550 FS 9.3x62mm - any reason not to?

rallygreen
07-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone, I'm just getting into big game hunting and am hoping to limit my overall number of rifles... I used a Remington 514 and (much less often) an old 12ga as a kid and had the hankering to go plinking again with a buddy, so picked up a CZ 455 lux. I've really enjoyed it, so want to get another CZ and found that I could have a 550 fs in 9.3x62mm imported. From what I've read, it seems like a nice generalist sort of rifle.

Are there any reasons not to go with it? None of my friends are much into firearms, so I pretty well just have what I read to go on. I know ammo availability will be more limited, but I don't imagine doing nearly as much shooting with it as I do with the 455. The full stock is purely for fun - thought it would be nice to have something different for a different purpose. Appreciate any input!

Petamocto
07-08-2016, 06:25 PM
By modern standards it's pretty slow of a round at 2,400 fps, even if it is for a larger round approaching 300 gr.

Does it offer a anything a more common round like 30-06 or 300 Win Mag doesn't offer? Lighter bullets but 3000 fps = same energy on target.

I'm all for rarer stuff that has different ballistics (I love 10mm for example), but if you are looking to limit the amount of rifles you have, I would think it would be better to be something very common.

kennymo
07-08-2016, 06:51 PM
The 9.3x62 is on pretty even ground with the 375 H&H. Ignore the velocity mentioned above, that's pushing 286 grains of fury. The cartridge is well renowned in Africa, and is the only sub-.375 cartridge accepted by many outfitters there. It has literally knocked down every big game animal on the planet and is well liked on moose, deer and large bears by those in the know. Components and ammo are readily available in Canada, the only drawback is you'll be paying large cartridge prices.

As for the CZ 550, it's an excellent firearm, tried and true. Well known for accuracy and reliability. One in 375 H&H is on my 'someday' list....

anything a more common round like 30-06 or 300 Win Mag doesn't offer? Lighter bullets but 3000 fps = same energy on target.

You need to go out and shoot something with a big, slow bullet someday. Numbers on paper aren't the whole story. Fast an light is a very different wound than heavy and slow, even with a comparable energy level.

Petamocto
07-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Did you just actually give the advice to ignore velocity as part of the equation?

kennymo
07-08-2016, 07:17 PM
Did you just actually give the advice to ignore velocity as part of the equation?

No, I'm saying that 2400 FPS is plenty enough velocity to knock s##t dead. When coupled with a 286 grain Nosler Partition, big s##t....bigger s##t than I'd feel really comfortable shooting at with a 30-06 loaded with 165 grain projectiles no matter how many ft-lbs of energy that amounts to....

Petamocto
07-08-2016, 07:58 PM
I just punched them into a calculator, and they deliver about the exact same energy.

180 gr at 3000 fps is about the same as 285 gr at 2400 fps.

That said, faster velocity = flatter trajectory and better point of aim accuracy at longer ranges, so the tie goes to the 30-06, not even counting for his aim of reducing the amount of firearms, not to mention ammo availability.

Rory McCanuck
07-08-2016, 08:16 PM
I don't have any experience with the 9.3, but I've read enough about it to have a good idea how versatile it is.
I looked at some .366" 286gr Nosler Solids yesterday, wow!
Looked like a 1.5" long 3/8" bolt with the head cut off.
Yeah they were $3.50 apiece, but they would go all the way through anything.

Very popular in Europe, loaded ammo would be a little harder to get here.
I think it's a cartridge that cries out for handloading; you don't always need full snort loads just to knock over tin cans.
I know there is a selection of cast bullets available, they'd make for inexpensive shooting, and allow you to actually shoot it for fun.

There is something magical in the way that big bullets moving at moderate speeds drop animals.
Even at 'only' 2400 fps, there isn't much those big bullets are going to bounce off.

Rory McCanuck
07-08-2016, 08:18 PM
I just punched them into a calculator, and they deliver about the exact same energy.

That said, faster velocity = flatter trajectory and better point of aim accuracy at longer ranges, so the tie goes to the 30-06, not even counting for his aim of reducing the amount of firearms, not to mention ammo availability.

When you launch a 180 out of a 30-06 at 3000 fps please film it for us.

firemachine69
07-08-2016, 08:54 PM

http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Challenge-Accepted-Girl-Meme-07.jpg

rallygreen
07-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Thanks for everyone's time - this is exactly the sort of discussion I'd never get to have in person. Having only ever shot small animals when I was younger (only when there was an issue with wildlife on my grandparents' farm, such as a racoon that developed a taste for cat), I didn't need to think about bleed out and tracking after a shot. That's what grabbed my attention about the big, slower moving caliber.

It's a funny thing about my wife - it's not so much the cost of a tool, it's the number of them that starts a discussion. For instance, I have a few higher end fishing rods, but my el cheapo ice rods that I like get counted right alongside the Loomis rods! So when a new, expensive rod came in, I made sure to sell a $20 ice rod. God help me if I brought home a 12 gun safe, haha. I could very likely get a pass on reloading equipment, based upon it being more economical than buying cartridges long-term, but more than 3 guns, unlikely.

kennymo
07-08-2016, 09:26 PM

That's sort of why I mentioned 165's, but Hornady is telling me even that is a tad optimistic. The 300 Winchester magnum is the first cartridge that puts 180's solidly up to the 3000 FPS mark, burning considerably more powder...

Surprisingly no, there were even a few boxes on the shelves at Cabela's quite recently. And there is a shop in Ontario that regularly carries a decent selection of both loaded ammo, brass and projectiles. Also the 9.3x57 which I have been pondering....

Petamocto
07-08-2016, 09:27 PM

Dude, we're not talking about a 308/7.62 here, there's all sorts of room in that long case to load it to 3000.

kennymo
07-08-2016, 09:30 PM
http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Challenge-Accepted-Girl-Meme-07.jpg

If you're thinking of launching the rifle at 400 feet per second before setting the cartridge off.....well, you're going to need a really big crossbow. Maybe built from leaf springs out of a tank. Genuine Saskatchewan sealskin should make due for the string.....

firemachine69
07-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Pistol powder. :p

(DISCLAIMER! I am NOT backing you up if you do it! ;D)

Rory McCanuck
07-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Surprisingly no, there were even a few boxes on the shelves at Cabela's quite recently. And there is a shop in Ontario that regularly carries a decent selection of both loaded ammo, brass and projectiles. Also the 9.3x57 which I have been pondering....

Oooh. That's makes even a bit more attractive.
I've never looked for the ammo, and it has never jumped out at me on the shelf.
Even just 2 or 3 boxes and then reload the brass, it wouldn't be a high volume type of gun.
Never have to worry (in N.A) 'Gee, do I have enough gun?'

rallygreen, please understand that this isn't a pop gun. It's going to kick.
I doubt that it'd be particularily violent, but that is still a good bit of horsepower going out the barrel.
There's no free ride in physics, all that energy has to be braced by your shoulder.

If you do decide to get one, you do realise you have to bring it to show and tell for the class, right? ;D

kennymo
07-09-2016, 09:26 PM
^^ That ammo WILL be hard to locate under about $50 a box. IIRC, the product at Cabela's was stuffed with some rather pricey, rather durable bonded soft points of one kind or another. Most of the other factory stuff I've seen was geared towards large animals that can bite, gore or stomp you rather badly, not surprising with it's extensive use in Africa on things that bite, gore and stomp. It is really versatile though, much like the .375's it so closely resembles. Easily toned down for deer with some lighter bullets and a slightly lighter charge.

If you're interested though, I can point you towards some really, REALLY reasonably priced 9.3x57 Huskies.... More of a potato tosser than a potato launcher like the x62, but hey, there's very few things you can't fix with a medium velocity potato.... Load data is scarce, but apparently you can use 8x57 data and work up. And I know where there's some brass too ;D. Been having trouble not adding one of them to the credit card lately.....

lone-wolf
07-09-2016, 09:34 PM
A cz 550 fs in .303brit would of been cool

Justice
07-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Find a source of ammo, bullets and brass first. Probably an expensive special order thing through your local shop. MSRP for Hornady runs $75 to $85US per 20. Not seeing any loaded ammo listed on any Canadian site.

kennymo
07-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Find a source of ammo, bullets and brass first. Probably an expensive special order thing through your local shop. MSRP for Hornady runs $75 to $85US per 20. Not seeing any loaded ammo listed on any Canadian site.

Well, search a few more sites, since I was just looking at a schwack of Norma, PRVI and S&B, ready to go.....

Spooksar
07-10-2016, 06:14 PM
I have this rifle, excellent choice, Ive shot over 25 head of African plains game with mine and only used a second shot once. Good caliber and with modern handloads will take anything on this planet.

SpenceyHR
07-10-2016, 08:40 PM
If you're thinking of launching the rifle at 400 feet per second before setting the cartridge off.....well, you're going to need a really big crossbow. Maybe built from leaf springs out of a tank. Genuine Saskatchewan sealskin should make due for the string.....

Sounds like a future BSD project.

blacksmithden
07-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Sounds like a future BSD project.

Oh no you don't...you're not dragging me into this. LOL.

ruger#1
08-03-2016, 02:37 AM
I own the same rifle in 6.5X55. It is a fine rifle,and a shooter. I do not know much about the 9.5. 375 H&H. That's the one I would want. Not sure if they make it in a FS. I know you can get it in a FS Vastava. Good luck I am sure you will like it in any cal.

BgBlkDg
08-03-2016, 07:07 AM
I bought my first 9.3x62 in May, 2006 and have now owned six rifles so chambered and one of the rimmed version, the 9.3x74r, in a Merkel drilling. I currently own two original Brno ZG-47s, customized by some of the smiths at Martini Gunmakers, a custom CZ-550, same work, and an original Oberndorf Mauser, Type B, vintage 1937-nine years older than I.

This is among THE most useful hunting-bush working rounds ever designed and quite easy to shoot with warm handloads. I have a lot of rifles and find it kicks a bit less than my .338WM or .375H&H rifles as well as holding four down and one chambered without a costly and heavy drop mag.

I load 286 Nossies and Hornady SPs to 2450-2500, with Big Game and/or RE-17 and shoot small groups using my Zeiss 4x scopes. I really like these rifles and the old 9.3, wish I had had one decades ago!

As to the CZ-550, this is a TRUE CRF Mauser action and with a little work, they are fine rifles. I am not a huge fan of "stutzen" stocks, prefer to install Mickys, Bansners, Browns and 3-pos. safeties on all of my Mausers, but, these will do the job.

BTW, paper energy figures are not a "real world" indicator of field function in hunting cartridges and velocity is not the major issue either.

Rory McCanuck
08-03-2016, 12:38 PM
There is something magical in the way that big bullets moving at moderate speeds drop animals.
Even at 'only' 2400 fps, there isn't much those big bullets are going to bounce off.

BTW, paper energy figures are not a "real world" indicator of field function in hunting cartridges and velocity is not the major issue either.

Describing how 'big' bullets work just doesn't seem to register to someone util they see it for themselves.

CLW .45
08-04-2016, 10:49 PM
If the rifle feels good to you, go for it.

Good big game cartridge.

rallygreen
08-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Wanted to thank everyone for their input - I went ahead and ordered it. Will post photos in some weeks when it arrives!

BushCaddy
08-10-2016, 04:04 PM
I don't have any experience with the 9.3, but I've read enough about it to have a good idea how versatile it is.
I looked at some .366" 286gr Nosler Solids yesterday, wow!
Looked like a 1.5" long 3/8" bolt with the head cut off.
Yeah they were $3.50 apiece, but they would go all the way through anything.

I think it's a cartridge that cries out for handloading; you don't always need full snort loads just to knock over tin cans.
I know there is a selection of cast bullets available, they'd make for inexpensive shooting, and allow you to actually shoot it for fun.

Magical is right ! I have a couple of 9.3's,a 35 Whelen ai and a 338-06 There is a lot to be said about big bullets,high SD's and moderate velocities but the operative word is momentum. The 9.3's earned their stripes at a bit over 2200 MV and it did it all for 100 yrs - very efficiently. Todays improved powders, increased velocities to 2450 fps + and bullet technologies has made the 9.3 a strong candidate for the best all-round cartridge ever devised IMHO. It has it all.

rallygreen
10-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Took a few weeks longer than I had hoped, but got a call yesterday that it's out in the mail to me! Should arrive in a few days. Next question will be whether to install a peep sight or stick with the open sights...

Rory McCanuck
10-15-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm excited for you, can't wait to see pics.

The easy answer is to see how you like the open sights, but my gut reaction is that peeps are better.
I'd be opting for a low powered scope, but I don't look so good anymore ;)

rallygreen
10-15-2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks! Yeah, it's just so fun to fiddle with stuff - hard to resist thinking on possibilities. Its been a long time since I used a peep sight... Maybe 20 years, so it's all new and exciting! It won't see the bush till next year in any case, so plenty of time

rallygreen
10-26-2016, 10:40 PM
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B4iWU0sUpkPDT1ZBWVd5NUFUM00

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B4iWU0sUpkPDWVNscW1sNGdyS0U

I am really liking this rifle! The size, the sight, how easily it shoulders, the size of the grip, the internal magazine - it's by far the nicest rifle I've personally handled (in my admittedly limited experience). Looking forward to ordering a bunch of 285gr PPU to get familiar with it! Just to put this info out there, I had a happy surprise in finding the 285gr PPU for $30 per box of 20 cartridges, so that will mean I may do more shooting than initially imagined.... Thanks again everyone for weighing in on this!

kennymo
10-26-2016, 10:44 PM
Now that is just plain purty... I've used the PPU stuff in a few calibres now, the brass seems pretty decent for reloading as well. Wish they'd make a run of 35 Whelen... Might just have to buy some 30.06 and neck it up a hair.

Rory McCanuck
10-26-2016, 11:30 PM
Oh but that's gorgeous!

lone-wolf
10-27-2016, 04:15 PM
CZ sure does make pretty rifles

Why not?
11-01-2016, 06:10 PM
By modern standards it's pretty slow of a round at 2,400 fps, even if it is for a larger round approaching 300 gr.

Does it offer a anything a more common round like 30-06 or 300 Win Mag doesn't offer? Lighter bullets but 3000 fps = same energy on target.

I'm all for rarer stuff that has different ballistics (I love 10mm for example), but if you are looking to limit the amount of rifles you have, I would think it would be better to be something very common.

Dude, we're not talking about a 308/7.62 here, there's all sorts of room in that long case to load it to 3000.

Clearly spoken by one who has never loaded for the '06, or shot and hunted big game with a 9.3X62.

Will be glad to share almost forty years experience with both cartridges if you care to know.
Ted

Petamocto
11-01-2016, 06:18 PM
Clearly spoken by one who has never loaded for the '06, or shot and hunted big game with a 9.3X62.

Will be glad to share almost forty years each of experience with both rifles if you care to know.

I'm not sure what you mean by your first point? I've had a Browning BAR in 30.06 and Browning X-Bolt in 30.06 and I have loaded for both. I've got a Garand in the mail, too, so yes I'm a big fan of the 30.06.

Your second point is correct that I've never shot or hunted with the latter round, though.

Sure, you have more experience than me with both, you win. But my questions were just meant to ask what the benefit of the latter round was, that's all, and I knock the 30-30 and 45ACP in the same manner.

I have always been a huge proponent of being okay with people spending their own money however they want, though.

But what is it about this particular round that makes it great, or at least better than the competition? Why should someone who only has a few guns buy it?

Why not?
11-01-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by your first point? I've had a Browning BAR in 30.06 and Browning X-Bolt in 30.06 and I have loaded for both. I've got a Garand in the mail, too, so yes I'm a big fan of the 30.06.

Your second point is correct that I've never shot or hunted with the latter round, though.

Sure, you have more experience than me with both, you win. But my questions were just meant to ask what the benefit of the latter round was, that's all, and I knock the 30-30 and 45ACP in the same manner.

I have always been a huge proponent of being okay with people spending their own money however they want, though.

But what is it about this particular round that makes it great, or at least better than the competition? Why should someone who only has a few guns buy it?

In order of your questions, Petamocto, here's why I posted as I did.

1) You have loaded for both. What loads do you use to get 180 gr bullets to 3000fps in your 30-06 rifles? I am not a shy reloader, but have never gotten beyond 2850 without leaning on the brass too hard.

2) The most obvious benefit of the '62 is that it delivers bullets that are more than 50% heavier than the '06 in rifles that are inexpensive, accurate, and easy to shoot. The trajectory is not quite as flat as the '06, however it is certainly flat enough to kill big game with dead on holds to 300 meters.

Plain vanilla cup and core bullets function very well at 2350 fps, the standard factory load, with chamber pressure considerably lower than the 30-06. It is no trick at all to load the same bullet close to 2600fps, slightly less velocity than factory 30-06, and do so with good case life and no expanded primer pockets. At this velocity 9.3 spitzers actually shoot as flat as the '06, and still hold together and penetrate deeply to kill very quickly.

3) The 9.3X62 is a smart choice for someone who only has or wants a few guns. Simply, it brings them a rifle capable of handling any big game they will ever hunt in North America, in a medium weight package that is easy on the shooter and his pocketbook, while being very effective in the field. I am fond of saying that someone carrying a 9.3X62 has a 375 with five in the magazine, as most 375s only hold three.

The original loading of the 9.3X62, produced in 1906, 111 years ago, was a 286 gr bullet at a leisurely 2160 fps. That is the load that made its reputation in Africa, where it was used on everything that walked there. I have actually loaded the lighter 270 gr Speer bullet to that velocity, and it is both accurate and very easy to shoot.

The current standard loading, 285s at 2350, will give you more notice of its presence, and the same bullet at 2600 is certainly enlightening in a seven and a half pound rifle.

The 300 and 325 gr bullets at 2500 are just plain obnoxious, and are one reason this cartridge is not for everyone. Norma has a factory load in that weight that Don Heath brained a huge charging bull elephant with a few years ago. They had it on their website for a while. Unlikely any of us will ever need to do that, but I'll see if I can find the picture, and post it here.

That kind of recoil is easily avoided by buying the 285 gr PRVI factory ammo that loafs out of the muzzle at around 2200fps in the rifle I have chronographed it in, costs less than $40 a box, and kills game with aplomb. Corlane's in Dawson Creek, BC, had it on sale for $30/box recently. A buddy of mine bought four boxes just for the brass. That raises one more point, 30-06 brass can be reformed to 9.3 with a little effort.

Nothing wrong at all with a 30-06 or a 300 Mag. I have several of them, but if I were to reduce the herd to just four rifles, a '62 would definitely be one of them.

Best,
Ted

kennymo
11-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Good old .366 Wagner....lol.

Nice to see you here Ted.

Why not?
11-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Here's the picture, but not good quality.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/laketrouter/hunting/998249f0-8441-42b0-9f21-eda5968f466d.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/laketrouter/media/hunting/998249f0-8441-42b0-9f21-eda5968f466d.jpg.html)

I saw the original in much larger format somewhere, but for the life of me cannot find it now.

Ted

Petamocto
11-02-2016, 09:47 AM
...Nothing wrong at all with a 30-06 or a 300 Mag. I have several of them, but if I were to reduce the herd to just four rifles, a '62 would definitely be one of them.

Thank you for your input. I have not yet personally achieved 300fps out of a 180gr 30.06, when I first made that comment it was more of a gold standard benchmark that I'm aiming for more than something that is easy.

Overall I am a fan of smaller and faster than heavier and slower, though, so take that original post in that spirit. I studied ballistics a lot when I was in charge of Small Arms doctrine in the Army, and a lot of evidence pointed toward velocity being much better than weight. Not just in terms of the exponential energy it delivers, but because of the trajectory aspect as well. That is more of a combat function, though, because when shooting at people-sized targets, it's good to not have to move the point of aim as much as possible. I'm a proponent of full-length rifle barrels over short carbines, as well (for combat use).

I can not discount the popularity of a round, either, and if all other factors lead to a similar result, availability must become an important factor in itself. Sure we reload, but it is also reasonable to assume that 30.06 will continue to be around for another century. I will keep you (and the forum) posted on my challenge to get 3000fps out of a 180gr bullet, though. Hopefully I don't blow fancy stainless X-Bolt apart in the process because it's a beaut.

Ubermeier
11-06-2016, 01:44 AM
Thanks for imparting your wisdom here Ted. For those who don't know, he is somewhat of legend in the Yukon. Any one who disregards his input in hunting, firearms, reloading and the like is doing themselves a great disservice.

I hope to get back up there with the family to visit again Ted. If the timing is right maybe we can do some shooting. God bless.

Why not?
11-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Thank you for your input. I have not yet personally achieved 300fps out of a 180gr 30.06, when I first made that comment it was more of a gold standard benchmark that I'm aiming for more than something that is easy.

Overall I am a fan of smaller and faster than heavier and slower, though, so take that original post in that spirit. I studied ballistics a lot when I was in charge of Small Arms doctrine in the Army, and a lot of evidence pointed toward velocity being much better than weight. Not just in terms of the exponential energy it delivers, but because of the trajectory aspect as well. That is more of a combat function, though, because when shooting at people-sized targets, it's good to not have to move the point of aim as much as possible. I'm a proponent of full-length rifle barrels over short carbines, as well (for combat use).

I can not discount the popularity of a round, either, and if all other factors lead to a similar result, availability must become an important factor in itself. Sure we reload, but it is also reasonable to assume that 30.06 will continue to be around for another century. I will keep you (and the forum) posted on my challenge to get 3000fps out of a 180gr bullet, though. Hopefully I don't blow fancy stainless X-Bolt apart in the process because it's a beaut.

Thanks for your clear response, Petamocto. My apologies for taking so long getting back to you. Have been out of the country the better part of a week.

There is hardly any chance that you will take your X Bolt apart trying to reach 3000 fps with 180s in your 30-06, unless you attempt it using powders with quite fast burning rates. As you know, hard extraction will show up long before a blowup.

As for popularity, the 9.3X62 has been around for 111 years, and is now actually experiencing a resurgence in both use and production. Even Remington, Hornady, and Nosler, which are about as homespun as they come, now load for domestic consumption. Nosler actually has three loads!

Without question, velocity affects energy and trajectory more noticeably than bullet mass, however that small advantage is of little consequence until beyond 300 yards. And, for truly long range, most knowledgeable hunters will be not be choosing a 30-06 either.

The real advantage in using the '62 on is how quickly it anchors and puts down really big game. It is not a cartridge for everyone, surely deer hunters will find it of little advantage over the '06, but looking back to the original post in this thread, it can be the answer to the question without undue effort or expenditure.

I would enjoy the opportunity to spend an afternoon with you at our range with a couple of rifles, treat you to some caribou stew with biscuits and gravy, and share some stories whenever you make it up this way.

Best,
Ted

lone-wolf
11-09-2016, 03:25 PM
the 9.3X62
My friend was telling me of his bear hunt, and iirc he has a 9.3something, to summarize his words;
they put my in the stand and told me that the bear will run after he's shot - I told him no he won't, the guide insisted that the bear will run - they all run.
Anyways the guide went back 150yrds and watched me, and a bear approached. I fired, the bear dropped dead, and all I heard was the guide yelling what the ef did you shoot him with! haha, he said all you could see was a giant cloud of pink mist after the shot.
Guide didn't realize what cartridge he was packing.

I'm sure I butchered his story.

mossler
02-22-2017, 06:16 PM
Bloody gorgeous rifle mate. Where did it get imported from if I may ask? I see 285 PPU at 40$ and that is still reasonable in my book.

rallygreen
03-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding, I had it imported from the USA since it seemed it couldn't be ordered through the Canadian supplier. If you're located in Canada, TradeEx has it for 30. Although even at 40 I wouldn't mind, given that I don't imagine firing it too often. I'd like to get a box of those fancy lead free lapua naturalis cartridges for this fall, if I can find them

ruger#1
03-03-2017, 05:56 AM
She is a beauty. A lot fancier then mine. Love at first sight. Now go and sight it in. Nice choice in cal.