PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a range finder

blacksmithden
07-12-2016, 10:23 PM
With this new custom built long range rig of mine, I find myself in the market for a rangefinder. I was briefly talking to someone at the Poker Rally shoot this weekend and remember him saying his $450 range finder had given him readings out as far as 2900 meters. I wish I'd taken the time to inquire more.

At any rate....say you needed to measure out to 1600 meters (The Longest Mile range at Edson).....what would you pick ? I can't go to nuts on the price right now due to the situation at work (possible lockout in the not too distant future). Anybody got anything that gives them reliable readings out to 1 mile - 1600 meters ? How long have you had it ? How much did it cost ? Fill my brain with information. I've been googling stuff for the past hour, and I want some first hand accounts/reviews of stuff if I could. Thanks guys.

jwirecom109
07-12-2016, 11:03 PM
pm inbound

Dmay
07-13-2016, 06:24 AM
Dammit, we should have talked more at the rally, you could have tried mine. Newcon LRB3000.
I shot my 2600 yd range with it, using pickup as a target....done animals to 1300 and change.....2200 on a highly reflective road sign....
Anyway, an option to look at.

SIR VEYOR
07-13-2016, 06:47 AM
Drop into the pawn shop in Ft Sask next to the 7-11. See what they have. Leica is normally good, but typically not worth the extra they want for the name.

If you're willing to walk to it first, any old hiking\car GPS should do. And good to about 225km before distortions get too big lol

TDC
07-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Leica or Swarovski for those distances. Newcon is good.

TDC

Sandhu
07-13-2016, 09:06 PM
Sig Kilo 2000

blacksmithden
07-13-2016, 11:38 PM
Sig Kilo 2000

Yea...I was actually looking at that one.....then the phone rang......then I went over to Rotweilerboy's place to drop off some AR parts.....then I forgot what I was looking at. Thanks. :) It looks like it's going to be either the 1800 meter Newcon or the Sig Kilo 2000. Much research and many reviews to read. :)

Run 'n' Gun
07-14-2016, 08:41 AM
Has anyone ever tried these Gunwerks units?

http://www.gseven.com/products/G7-BR2-2015

I like that it has a lot of features that take an extra step out of the shot prep. I don't know who makes it for them, I think the scopes are just rebranded Nightforce units.

I like my little Leupold RX-1000 TBR, but it doesn't have the range you are looking for.

blacksmithden
07-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Has anyone ever tried these Gunwerks units?

http://www.gseven.com/products/G7-BR2-2015

I like that it has a lot of features that take an extra step out of the shot prep. I don't know who makes it for them, I think the scopes are just rebranded Nightforce units.

I like my little Leupold RX-1000 TBR, but it doesn't have the range you are looking for.

Pretty cool but out of my price range unfortunately. I looked at a ton of reviews of the Newcon 1800 meter unit as well as the Sig Kilo 2000. The deciding factor was the visability of the numbers. The Sig looked all washed out and often I couldnt read the numbers at all (could have a lot to do with my color blindness). The Newcon used much darker numbers which I liked a lot more.

So....all that being said....Newcon it is.

6MT
07-14-2016, 01:45 PM
....um....you don't really need to range the distances at Edson. I've checked, they are very accurate.

That being said, a range finder that works out to a mile can be pretty pricey.

blacksmithden
07-14-2016, 03:56 PM
....um....you don't really need to range the distances at Edson. I've checked, they are very accurate.

That being said, a range finder that works out to a mile can be pretty pricey.

Im not really thinking of Edson as much as longer hunting shots. The Newcon is going to be around $580 plus taxes. Once Ive saved up a little more cash and our contract is settled, Ill pull the pin on one. I didnt really intend to use this gun for hunting but if the opportunity of doing some longer range presents itself, I dont want to be running around the night before looking for a range finder. Thats one sure way to not find what you want....to settle for something you dont want.....and still pay too much for it.