PDA

View Full Version : Calibre's biggest issue ever: 64 Pages! Are we a high capacity magazine now?

Calibre
07-17-2016, 12:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6KPvfyo.jpg

So it's kind of a big deal for me. For those that don't know publishing here's why:

Printing presses all work in 16-page signatures. These are the big giant sheets of paper that are folded super fancy, stapled together to form a magazine, and then trimmed to free up all the pages. If you guys want, I can go to the print and shoot some video of this process; it's super cool looking.

Anyway, when we print, there's the expected costs: Paper, ink, press time... but a big cost is set up. Obviously, that's a big cost, seeing as setting up to print a magazine requires like a dozen machines be programmed to print, fold, compress, wrap, stitch, trim, package etc. Because of this, and the standardized 16-page signature, working in 16 page lumps is by FAR more cost effective; even though it uses substantially less paper printing 32,000 copies of a 56-page magazine is damn near the same price as printing a 64-page version of the same thing. So, we've eschewed the 56 page format as it costs almost as much as the 64 page layout, but doesn't give us nearly as much space for additional content.

Unfortunately this means we've been stuck at 48 pages until we could make the pretty big jump to 64. We finally did. Obviously I hope the coming year will see us transition to a full time 64 page layout, and I'll be trying my balls off to make it so, but in the meantime I just wanted to say thanks for all the support from our readers here and sort of share what is an admittedly nerdy but satisfying moment for me! And to all the readers and subscribers that are making this possible with their support, from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

If you want to become one of those supporters, and don't want to miss this issue's mailing, we're closing subscriptions for this issue on Monday night: http://calibremag.ca/subscribe/

Foxer
07-17-2016, 12:19 PM
64 Pages! Are we a high capacity magazine now?

Ok, that was clever. Horrible, of course, but very clever :) :) :)

Congrats on the bump in capacity! And that looks like a seriously good issue

Calibre
07-17-2016, 12:22 PM
The firearms lab has a pair of subscriptions they use for reference... we're considering stapling every past page five together.

Foxer
07-17-2016, 01:44 PM
The firearms lab has a pair of subscriptions they use for reference... we're considering stapling every past page five together.

ROFLMAO :) While you're at it, drill a hole thru it and put a trigger lock on it. Tell 'em 10 bucks more for the key.

Mark-II
07-17-2016, 03:19 PM
it's only a semi automatic magazine in pdf format. Print version is manually operated, so you're good to go.

Also - is this going to mean a doubling a Cooey prices?

Foxer
07-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Yes. They will now be $10.

Calibre
07-17-2016, 09:17 PM
it's only a semi automatic magazine in pdf format. Print version is manually operated, so you're good to go.

Alright, so when we send them a PDF version of it, I'll just delete pages 6-64 and replace page 6 with a picture of a pop rivet.

Mark-II
07-17-2016, 09:38 PM
LOL

The print version is the primary one, though, yes? Then it is conceived and designed as a manually operated magazine and should be legal at its rated capacity in semi-auto form, since it can't fall under dual-use by dint of the inability to cram a printed copy through the global internet.

Oh, no...wait.... Better limit it to 10 pages to be safe.

Convoluted bloody laws...