PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge Bomb!

LifeLine
07-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Here is a method for making a super easy fire starter using vaseline and cotton balls!

<iframe width="800" height="500" src="https://www.full30.com/embed/5921a9390ffdd0d135735d28ab3c459f" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kennymo
07-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Been using that trick for years. A ziplock sandwich bag is OK for storing a batch, but I keep mine in an old pill bottle tucked into my pack, less chance of them escaping the packaging and Vaselining all my spare clothes and hunting gear. It's cheap enough to get this stuff at the pharmacy, but you can be fully set up with a couple years supply by spending $2 at the dollar store on el cheapo cotton balls and a jar of non name brand petroleum jelly. We used these every day to light the stove at moose camp last year.

blacksmithden
07-22-2016, 02:55 PM
Doritos start fires pretty well too.....and you can eat them....I didn't say they were good for you. Lol.

Likeaboss
07-22-2016, 02:59 PM
Doritos start fires pretty well too.....and you can eat them....I didn't say they were good for you. Lol.
Wait, what? Not good for us?

soulchaser
07-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Hand sanitizer works well too.

Squirt some on a hunk of bark/cardboard/whatever else is handy, shoot a spark into in with a flint striker and away you go.

I keep the travel size bottles and a striker in my hunting pack, travel survival kit in my hiking/biking pack, both cars, tackle box ect.

Coke
07-22-2016, 07:48 PM
Wait, what? Not good for us?

Don't listen to the haters... It's all good...

IJ22
07-22-2016, 07:51 PM
'round here we just use birch bark. Burns great and you don't have to pack it.

tinbird
07-22-2016, 09:13 PM
coffee whitener (regular not lite)= firestarter :)

Foxer
07-22-2016, 11:21 PM
cotton balls is a very old trick - but i'll do you one better.

Take cotton make up remover pads (must be cotton) and lay them out on some wax paper or other surface. Melt the vaseline (slowly and carefully - petroleum product) and pour a little on each pad. It doesn't take much, you do not want it over saturated but saturated. I usually use a spiral pattern.

Allow to dry.

To use - just pull the pad apart to expose the fibers - they will catch with the slightest spark, even if wet. I've used a dead bic lighter to start them first strike many times.

You don't need a full 'pad' if the wood is even remotely dry, but if it's raining and you're using damp wood then just pull the pad almost in half and light it up. otherwise, a quarter or half of a pad will do nicely.

These are FAR FAR less messy, you don't get all vaseline-y handling them, they work like a charm and they're easier to pack. They will roll up, so you can do the 'straw' trick or keep them in a 'waterproof match' container with a small ferro rod, or a metal 'mint' tin works amazingly well and contains enough for many fires and a fire source. It takes only one or two tries to get the perfect amount of vaseline figured out for a single pad.

Same thing, just a little better and less messy.

blacksmithden
07-23-2016, 12:59 AM
cotton balls is a very old trick - but i'll do you one better.

Take cotton make up remover pads (must be cotton) and lay them out on some wax paper or other surface. Melt the vaseline (slowly and carefully - petroleum product) and pour a little on each pad. It doesn't take much, you do not want it over saturated but saturated. I usually use a spiral pattern.

Allow to dry.

To use - just pull the pad apart to expose the fibers - they will catch with the slightest spark, even if wet. I've used a dead bic lighter to start them first strike many times.

You don't need a full 'pad' if the wood is even remotely dry, but if it's raining and you're using damp wood then just pull the pad almost in half and light it up. otherwise, a quarter or half of a pad will do nicely.

These are FAR FAR less messy, you don't get all vaseline-y handling them, they work like a charm and they're easier to pack. They will roll up, so you can do the 'straw' trick or keep them in a 'waterproof match' container with a small ferro rod, or a metal 'mint' tin works amazingly well and contains enough for many fires and a fire source. It takes only one or two tries to get the perfect amount of vaseline figured out for a single pad.

Same thing, just a little better and less messy.

Or you could just stop playing around with all that kids stuff. Boy scout water always saves the day. You can always get a fire going with it.....even if you don't have wood !!!! :) It comes in assorted size containers. Here's my favorite.

https://judymintz.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/gas-can-with-spout.jpg

Swampdonkey
07-23-2016, 01:06 AM
Spare tire = signal fire. Let insurance cover the rest. Who needs a buck when you'll get a new truck?

Foxer
07-23-2016, 03:47 AM
Or you could just stop playing around with all that kids stuff. Boy scout water always saves the day. You can always get a fire going with it.....even if you don't have wood !!!! :) It comes in assorted size containers. Here's my favorite.

true. Harder to keep in your pocket tho.

road kill
07-23-2016, 06:31 PM
The box that beer comes in is a good fire starter.

kennymo
07-23-2016, 06:58 PM
The box that beer comes in is a good fire starter.

But it also makes an excellent jousting helmet. I'd hate to be stuck in a survival situation trying to decide between having a fire and drunken broomstick jousting.....

Foxer
07-23-2016, 06:59 PM
But it also makes an excellent jousting helmet. I'd hate to be stuck in a survival situation trying to decide between having a fire and drunken broomstick jousting.....

If you can't have drunken broomstick jousting... can you really call it 'surviving'? Would you even want to ?

SeirX
07-23-2016, 10:18 PM
OR..you could just use a little bit of the rubbing/isopropyl alcohol works wonder. If you've got a First Aid kit packed up, you should have some in there.
That stuff will set water on fire. [technically, float on the top of water, melted snow, a hunk of ice, etc].

Ruff
02-14-2017, 04:41 AM
Nice thing about Vaseline and cotton balls (or pads) is that they also provide a backup first aid treatment for burns and scrapes, chapped lips, friction spots, and things like that.