PDA

View Full Version : Red dot / scope combo

salibas007
07-25-2016, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure if what I'm looking for even exists, but I'm wondering if there is a mount that allows both a scope and red dot to be installed on a rifle.

I've seen red dots installed on top of scopes or at 45 degrees, but what I'd like is kind of a swivel mount that would allow me to swivel the scope to the side and thus allow the red dot to be sitting as low as possible, but not at a 45 degree angle.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I'd like to be able to switch between the red dot and the scope by pivoting the combo setup, rather than tilting the gun or having my red dot sit 4" above my barrel.

Maybe this only exists in my imagination. Mate not. I've tried looking online and I can't seem to find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lone-wolf
07-25-2016, 05:36 PM
I don't think such a thing exists, it honestly sounds like a pita, but to each their own.
Solutions that do exist, low power scopes that can be used as red dots offering magnification from 1-4x, 1-6x
Or low fixed power magnifiers, 3x I think is common, that are positioned behind red dots and swings into place when needed and provides a magnified view through the red dot.

TheHydrant
07-25-2016, 05:48 PM
You don't thing you want the scope to be able to move. You'll lose zero every time you move it. That's why the magnifier flips over and not the red dot in the example lone-wolf mentioned.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

GR0M
07-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Not as you describe but the Vortex Strike Eagle variable 1x-6x for example will get you a same result. A 1x it functions as a red dot with a big illuminated circle and with a throw lever you're at 6x in moments

salibas007
07-25-2016, 09:08 PM
I like the idea of a red dot with a separate power magnifier that swivels out. Thanks for the suggestion. I think this will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TacticalCanuck
07-26-2016, 06:05 AM
Just to add to your resolve - i have a vortex strike fire 2 on my tavor. I put the vortex 3x magnifier behind it. I still can use BUIS that co witness with the red dot. It all goes on the rail.

The big complaint about the 3x magnifier is it rolls to the left when not in use. This could, i suppose, effect feild of view with both eyes open. Most people are switching it to roll to the right if they are right eye dominant.

I havent done this yet, but it looks easy to do.