PDA

View Full Version : Emigration

Swampdonkey
07-28-2016, 01:39 PM
Where would you move to for a better life?

You know, there is one freedom you have that'll take care of this. Move away and never come back if you hate it so much.

The same idiot the retard turdeau uses would be my guess.

I'm getting to the point where I'd be quite alright not living in Canada anymore. I'm turning my flag upside down tonight.

I see New Zealand has work for welders, allows suppressors for rifles and has amazing fishing...

blacksmithden
07-28-2016, 01:42 PM
I hear Panama is nice.

Swampdonkey
07-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Eastern Europe appeals to me for being somewhat socially conservative and fairly free-market. Southern Africa too. Problem being how to make a living and learning a local language.

wolver
07-28-2016, 01:47 PM
U.S. of A., if Trump gets in. Certain states I will stay away from, but Vermont and New Hampshire are a possibility. Close to Canada, good gun laws, and closer to my wife's family.

Gaidheal
07-28-2016, 01:48 PM
Looking at Panama, Belize* and Arizona

Belize has English as the official language. They only allow you to own one of each type of gun, but you're allowed to carry them.

wolver
07-28-2016, 02:10 PM
They only allow you to own one of each type of gun

? Define type, please.

Gaidheal
07-28-2016, 02:20 PM
From what I remember. rifle, shotgun, handgun.

Arizona (maybe New Mexico) might get the nod from me as I can take everything with me but my prohibs probably... and of course I will have to give my beloved 1911 to my son as it is a Norinco.

I could probably replace all my lost prohibs - and more! - in Arizona.

wolver
07-28-2016, 02:24 PM
From what I remember. rifle, shotgun, handgun.

Arizona (maybe New Mexico) might get the nod from me as I can take everything with me but my prohibs probably... and of course I will have to give my beloved 1911 to my son as it is a Norinco.

I could probably replace all my lost prohibs - and more! - in Arizona.

Yes, Arizona would definitely be my first choice, if it wasn't so far away from my wife's kin.

harbl_the_cat
07-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Alberta as a separate country from Canada.

lone-wolf
07-28-2016, 03:22 PM
latest issue of g&a says Arizona is the most gun friendly state.
Probably too hot for me, but iirc they have lots of wild country to wander if it's ever cool enough there to do so.
Would love to wander around with a six gun on the hip.

Maine has favourable laws, and is close to home.

BrotherRockeye
07-28-2016, 03:23 PM
A lake in Saskatchewan...save driving ;D

x0ra
07-28-2016, 03:25 PM
Idaho has some nice gun laws, and pretty much no people living there...

lone-wolf
07-28-2016, 03:39 PM
A lake in Saskatchewan...save driving ;D

Within Canada...
I can think, PEI is F-ed, how about NS? Nope, they're largely F-ed too. NB? Nope. NFLD? No. Quebec? hahahaha no.
Ontario? No, they have a idiot trade/sharing agreement with PEI.
AB? Notley or whatever her name is
BC? PEI is taking bad ideas from them, no
Manitoba? ... I don't know anything about manitoba. Do people live there?
Sask? Well Brad Wall seems cool.
The territories in the north would be alight I think.

Candychikita
07-28-2016, 03:46 PM
An uninhabited island. Like Eil Malk, Isla Gibraleon, Olimarao Island, Oruluk Island, Pikelot...the list goes on.

harbl_the_cat
07-28-2016, 03:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIH-J3uLN3E

oilman28
07-28-2016, 04:30 PM
I have been looking at Idaho, western Montana or Wyoming to move to. I have thought about moving back down to the south but it's way to hot and humid in the summer. But the bass fishing and deep sea fishing are pretty great though.

Forbes/Hutton
07-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Philippines. It takes 3 months to adjust to the level of heat and humidity, but it's a socially conservative country, you can live very well for little money, fairly gun friendly, the people are terrific, beautiful beaches with amazing tropical reefs and a new president whose suggesting average citizens should go out and shot criminals and drug dealers.

Billythreefeathers
07-28-2016, 05:52 PM
and a new president whose suggesting average citizens should go out and shot criminals and drug dealers.

now that's what I'm talking about,,

FlyingHigh
07-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Mine was posted in the OP. New Zealand has a climate alot like BC's, good fishing, great people, lots of adventure type stuff to do and is relatively gun friendly.

My second choice would be Belize.

DOOK
07-28-2016, 07:46 PM
I have been looking at Costa Rica mostly gun Freindly, cheap to live, and the window bars are mostly to keep the monkeys from stealing your food.

Doug_M
07-28-2016, 08:37 PM
Costa Rica is the third oldest democracy in the Americas. The president is term limited to two. It has the second highest literacy rate in the Americas. It has no national army but does have a large police force. It has good health care. It has a program for ex-pats with a minimum guaranteed income (was $1000US per month in the 90's) to live almost like citizens. It has an English language newspaper (Tico times). It has a huge percentage of the country as parks and preserves. It has both a Caribbean and Pacific coast. If you're going the Central America route forget Belize. Cost Rica is the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zinilin
07-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Within Canada...
I can think, PEI is F-ed, ...

There are 150,000 people living in P.E.I.

If 10% of Canadian firearms owners moved to P.E.I. and established The Firearms Party and voted for it, P.E.I. would be a shall-issue Provence.
They could also create a provincial police force and oust the R.C.M.P.

lone-wolf
07-28-2016, 09:09 PM

If 10% of Canadian firearms owners moved to P.E.I. and established The Firearms Party and voted for it, P.E.I. would be a shall-issue Provence.

Yea, that hasn't been lost on people, the Free Province Project exists, but without much momentum.

Swampdonkey
07-28-2016, 09:32 PM

I'd rather separate to maintain separate immigration.

I'm also wary of the USA because they're headed down the same road Canada is. America is too draconian on other things, like pollution and Affirmative Action and taxation.

igel
07-28-2016, 11:27 PM
Best emigration is when you don't even have to move! :) Maybe about time to dust off the Western Alienation slogan?

...And if only Alberta had guessed to use some of those hi-price-oil money from the past "fat" years to fund and fuel the Quebec separation referendum! :) Once it is out, the rest of the East would have way less saying in what the rest of the country should do. And a lot of real savings across the board from a sudden mono-linguism as an added benefit! Maybe it is still not too late? :)

pitw
07-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Only way you is moving me from my spot will be be with blood on yer hands and a dead weight in the bag.

harbl_the_cat
07-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Only way you is moving me from my spot will be be with blood on yer hands and a dead weight in the bag.

I feel the same way - although I consider my spot all of this province.

awndray
07-29-2016, 11:34 AM
Costa Rica is the third oldest democracy in the Americas. The president is term limited to two. It has the second highest literacy rate in the Americas. It has no national army but does have a large police force. It has good health care. It has a program for ex-pats with a minimum guaranteed income (was $1000US per month in the 90's) to live almost like citizens. It has an English language newspaper (Tico times). It has a huge percentage of the country as parks and preserves. It has both a Caribbean and Pacific coast. If you're going the Central America route forget Belize. Cost Rica is the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup! We have family there. Once you convince some of the locals that you're one of the good gringos, you're home-free.

harbl_the_cat
07-29-2016, 02:03 PM
You know, there is one freedom you have that'll take care of this. Move away and never come back if you hate it so much.

You know, I've been giving this some thought and not to pick on Awndray about it, but this is such a common sentiment among Canadians and for me, is the biggest reason I identify as a separatist.

Doesn't this attitude reinforce an assertion I've made in the past that the "Canadian" way to solve big problems is to run away from them? Whether it's compromise or concessions - it seems to me "retreat" is the way we Canadians solve most of our problems these days.

I've seen this attitude so pervasive among Canadians especially in the case of fundamental injustices. Accept it or leave.

The thing is, when you look at it objectively and eliminate all bias that comes from a lifetime of indoctrination to the contrary, Canada is NOT the best country on the planet.

It's pretty good in many ways, but in many others, it's completely unacceptable.

In my childhood, I lived as a transient.

My family moved around ever 2-3 years until I was about 16. As the son of immigrants, I had little context of roots, although late in life, I've discovered how fundamental my roots are to Calgary (predating Canadian confederation). Calgary is my home and I will not be driven out because of unacceptable problems within Canada.

The thing that bothers me to no end is that in the face of near insurmountable challenges, today the attitude of Canadians as individuals is "leave." If that is the pervasive attitude among Canadians, why do I get mocked or insulted when I insinuate the right solution to our problems is for entire groups of Canadians, right up to provinces, simply "leave?" It's clearly the Canadian way.

I submit this is the reason Canada is not the greatest country on earth.

Canadians today shirk away from problems they don't think they can solve and they tear down people who have the audacity to give an honest appraisal of the situation.

Being honest is not being defeatist, nor is it being cynical or pessimistic.

If I call Canada a "wretched country" when a fundamental institution of Canadian identity gets away with an action my emblematic of a despotic dictatorship - I'm not being a defeatists or negative. I'm being honest - and such honesty scares, frightens, and offends Canadians.

Such actions truly are wretched and paint Canada in that light.

If in response to being honest, I'm met with hostility from fellow "Canadians" who I should be allied with, what does that say about our ability as Canadians to solve problems like this?

It says that we as "Canadians" can't.

If you are dishonest with yourself and with others about a problem, you can't understand it. If you can't understand it, you can't solve it.

You won't have the right information or initiative to do what needs to be done to fix it.

harbl_the_cat
07-29-2016, 02:16 PM
I might add this is a problem Canada always has and always will have.

All of Canada, some parts more than others, are places that are uninhabitable wastelands wherein the only way to survive is to be brutally honest with one's self and with others.

Alberta, by nature, is an uninhabitable hell hole. By nature, no one WANTS to live in Alberta. By default, it sucks living here.

None of that is pessimistic or cynical. All of it is truth.

That said, the people who are honest about it are the ones with the right mindset to be able to both live and thrive here.

That's the mindset of the problem solver.

However, the disingenuous Canadian attitude of "accept what is hard to fix or leave" is the reason so many problem solvers ACTUALLY leave Canada.

The Americans, as crass and ignorant as they can seem are a nation of problem solvers.

There's a reason so many of the top minds - creative and innovative - Canada has ever produced became successful going to the United States or becoming American.

They either did that or become freaks, weirdos or frauds (like David Suzuki and Justin Trudeau).

Candychikita
07-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Harbl, it's one of the bad things about being "nice". Canadians are "nice".

But. When "nice" people are tired of being a "nice" doormat, it can be surprising in not a very "nice" way :) There will be a tipping point. Ask me how I know :)

Swampdonkey
07-29-2016, 02:47 PM

But. When "nice" people are tired of being a "nice" doormat, it can be surprising in not a very "nice" way :) There will be a tipping point. Ask me how I know :)

How do you know?

Can you sing it like Tammy Wynnette?

Candychikita
07-29-2016, 03:52 PM
How do you know? Can you sing it like Tammy Wynnette?

Nah, I can sling it. I do legal paperwork and mediation with a pro-bono team for fun...I see a lot of "nice" people who are done being "nice". I too reached that tipping point myself 4 years and 29 days ago - it was such a glorious day of victory that all of Canada celebrates it with fireworks ;)

x0ra
07-29-2016, 04:12 PM

There won't be a tipping point, as those who reach this point will no longer meet the definition of "Canadians", which is very much not only all about being a doormat, but also being sorry about it.

ESnel
07-29-2016, 05:33 PM
You know, I've been giving this some thought and not to pick on Awndray about it, but this is such a common sentiment among Canadians and for me, is the biggest reason I identify as a separatist.

Doesn't this attitude reinforce an assertion I've made in the past that the "Canadian" way to solve big problems is to run away from them? Whether it's compromise or concessions - it seems to me "retreat" is the way we Canadians solve most of our problems these days.

I've seen this attitude so pervasive among Canadians especially in the case of fundamental injustices. Accept it or leave.

The thing is, when you look at it objectively and eliminate all bias that comes from a lifetime of indoctrination to the contrary, Canada is NOT the best country on the planet.

It's pretty good in many ways, but in many others, it's completely unacceptable.

In my childhood, I lived as a transient.

My family moved around ever 2-3 years until I was about 16. As the son of immigrants, I had little context of roots, although late in life, I've discovered how fundamental my roots are to Calgary (predating Canadian confederation). Calgary is my home and I will not be driven out because of unacceptable problems within Canada.

The thing that bothers me to no end is that in the face of near insurmountable challenges, today the attitude of Canadians as individuals is "leave." If that is the pervasive attitude among Canadians, why do I get mocked or insulted when I insinuate the right solution to our problems is for entire groups of Canadians, right up to provinces, simply "leave?" It's clearly the Canadian way.

I submit this is the reason Canada is not the greatest country on earth.

Canadians today shirk away from problems they don't think they can solve and they tear down people who have the audacity to give an honest appraisal of the situation.

Being honest is not being defeatist, nor is it being cynical or pessimistic.

If I call Canada a "wretched country" when a fundamental institution of Canadian identity gets away with an action my emblematic of a despotic dictatorship - I'm not being a defeatists or negative. I'm being honest - and such honesty scares, frightens, and offends Canadians.

Such actions truly are wretched and paint Canada in that light.

If in response to being honest, I'm met with hostility from fellow "Canadians" who I should be allied with, what does that say about our ability as Canadians to solve problems like this?

It says that we as "Canadians" can't.

If you are dishonest with yourself and with others about a problem, you can't understand it. If you can't understand it, you can't solve it.

You won't have the right information or initiative to do what needs to be done to fix it.

So out of curiosity what is the best country in the world?Under what criteria do you use to select this utopia?

Nothing special about moving every 2-3 years,lots of families do that,6 counties,3 different continents for me by 15,you?

Just because people don't agree with you does not make them dishonest or in denial. You state "Being honest is not being defeatist, nor is it being cynical or pessimistic" hard to argue with that statement but who determines if your being honest or me or the other person?History and religion are full of examples of contradictory honesty.

Swampdonkey
07-29-2016, 05:35 PM
Is Uruguay still a fairly free place?

ESnel
07-29-2016, 05:46 PM
I might add this is a problem Canada always has and always will have.

All of Canada, some parts more than others, are places that are uninhabitable wastelands wherein the only way to survive is to be brutally honest with one's self and with others.

Alberta, by nature, is an uninhabitable hell hole. By nature, no one WANTS to live in Alberta. By default, it sucks living here.

None of that is pessimistic or cynical. All of it is truth.

That said, the people who are honest about it are the ones with the right mindset to be able to both live and thrive here.

That's the mindset of the problem solver.

However, the disingenuous Canadian attitude of "accept what is hard to fix or leave" is the reason so many problem solvers ACTUALLY leave Canada.

The Americans, as crass and ignorant as they can seem are a nation of problem solvers.

There's a reason so many of the top minds - creative and innovative - Canada has ever produced became successful going to the United States or becoming American.

They either did that or become freaks, weirdos or frauds (like David Suzuki and Justin Trudeau).

Please share with us tales of this hell you live in Alberta? Your pretty much the only person I know that keeps going on about this hellish environment.I don't get the impression you struggle to stay warm in the winter or

worry about feeding yourself or family if your hunting doesn't go well.

ESnel
07-29-2016, 06:03 PM
Is Uruguay still a fairly free place?

It's not bad( I have a Uruguayan citizenship) but haven't been back in years) https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/uy.html

Foreign income in not taxed so overseas investments and foreign pension plans are good.There is a high VAT on imported goods but exempt on your initial mover there so bring all the big ticket items.If your a car guy it beats Cuba for classic cars,last I heard there is just under 1000 Model Ts still in daily use. Import of cars very expensive, http://dare2go.com/amazing-old-cars-in-uruguay/

There is a higher guns per capita ownership then Canada,8th world wide to Canada at 12th

Gaidheal
07-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Hmmm... I hadn't even considered Uruguay.

Intrigued to level: must google the shit out of it

Swampdonkey
07-29-2016, 06:41 PM
ESnel, please inform us further.

ESnel
07-29-2016, 07:31 PM
Some random stuff...

For the history buffs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_River_Plate

For healthcare Uruguay has what some consider one of the world’s best health-care systems, with doctors trained in Europe and a hospital plan known as a “mutualista” that costs an average of $185 U.S. monthly and covers many common procedures.

The “mutualista” is similar to the “health-care concierge” plans at some U.S. medical practices . With a mutualista, you become a member of a hospital and go there for all your scheduled health care needs. You make monthly payments to the mutualista and also pay a small co-pay when you see a doctor or have a medical test.”

A mutualista is different from health insurance. There is no deductible, no lifetime cap, and no complicated terms to decipher. Each private hospital sets its own guidelines for accepting non-employed members (such as retiree expats). Some hospitals will not take new members over a certain age or with certain pre-existing conditions.

It’s easy to find good medications, both generics and brand-name drugs. (Do note that brands may not have the same names as in the U.S.) Cost can depend on your hospital plan. Many offer a 50% discount.

If you prefer to buy health insurance instead of joining a mutualista, health plans are available with a variety of coverage options.

All schools are free WiFi locations even the rural schools and literacy rate is about 98%. Uruguay is part of the One Laptop per Child project, and in 2009 became the first country in the world to provide a laptop for every primary school student,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguay-

"Uruguay is ranked first in Latin America in democracy, peace, lack of corruption,[8] e-government,[9] and is first in South America when it comes to press freedom, size of the middle class and prosperity.[8]"

"Beef is fundamental to Uruguayan cuisine, and the country is one of the world's top consumers of red meat per capita. Asado, a kind of barbecued beef, is the national dish in Uruguay, and other popular foods include beef platters, chivito (steak sandwiches), pasta, barbecued kidneys, and sausages."

Gaidheal
07-29-2016, 08:14 PM
This sounds like it goes onto my hell-yeah look into it more list.

My next vacation is likely to be there now

Thanks!

Canuck223
07-29-2016, 09:06 PM
If I had to leave Canada, and could largely cash out as I exited, I could live a very comfortable life in Slovakia. Similar climate to Ontario. Very moral people. Aside from Czech, perhaps the most gun friendly country in the EU. Plus, I have a number of friends including a kick ass lawyer to help smooth the way.

BrotherRockeye
07-29-2016, 09:09 PM

:FP2

SIR VEYOR
07-30-2016, 05:41 AM
St Pierre & Miquelon - a little different from France
Bermuda
Antigua - Dutch Antilles

Turks and Caicos - big trench nearby where all the sealife passes. Just hang out and watch even the elusive whale sharks go by...

firemachine69
07-30-2016, 07:20 AM
:FP2

I don't see western separation as running away from the problem, I see it as preventing yourself from punching the majority of eastern idiots in the face.

Swampdonkey
07-30-2016, 09:47 AM
I don't see western separation as running away from the problem, I see it as preventing yourself from punching the majority of eastern idiots in the face.

In the same way that divorce is better retaliatory abuse?

I can see that.

AskPermissionFollowOrders
08-02-2016, 03:13 AM
USA.
One of the Southern States, or the Midwest.
Western Europe is a lost cause IMO.

Many Canadians talk about Albertans in a similar manner to how they talk about Americans...full of envy, jealousy etc.
Trying to tear down in order to raise themselves up. No never mind "raise themselves up", that's difficult, they do so in order to feel better. It doesn't always have to be zero-sum.

Gaidheal
08-02-2016, 05:08 AM
St Pierre & Miquelon - a little different from France

NIce place - not sure what there is for real estate - one island is inhabited and the other is used for vacationing and hunting.

65% of the residents there are employed by the gov't in one way or another.

Apart from a couple north-armerican tour busses and a few cars the ONLY thing there that says "north america" is the home hardware. LOL

Gaidheal
08-02-2016, 05:11 AM
BTW - customs going to SP & M and coming back... entry to France took literally seconds.

Coming back into Canada? HOURS.

JustBen
08-02-2016, 05:23 AM
Belize.
Fishing.
Hot weather.
Speaking English.
What's not to like?

FlyingHigh
08-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Belize.
Fishing.
Hot weather.
Speaking English.
What's not to like?

The hot weather. But the ocean winds help with that.