PDA

View Full Version : Buying based on ease of care?

MissMeggie
07-28-2016, 06:35 PM
I don't have a gun (yet) but I have an RPAL burning a hole in my pocket. I was out shopping today and found some a few contenders.

My problem is that I have no idea how to care for a gun. I know there are instructions and videos and I will be checking them out, but in the mean time I'm hoping to keep things simple.

My first thought was that a .22 revolver would be easier to clean and care for. After talking to a few people in the shops today, I found out some of the semis can be pretty easy to deal with as well so I have broadened my scope. :)

There were a couple of guns that I quite liked but I'm not sure how easy they are to clean. Does anyone here have any experience with any of these?

Ruger SR22
Walther P22
S+W M&P22
Browning Buckmark Contour

Thanks!

Swampdonkey
07-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Considering maintainance makes you smarter than most people. Glad to have you on GOC.

ESnel
07-28-2016, 08:42 PM
YouTube is your friend,there are all sorts of videos on disassembly/cleaning plus reviews that you can watch,this can give you an idea of how each model compares.

As to choice,finding one that feels good in your hand and seems 'balanced' are more important.From your list I'm partial to the Buckmark as first choice but that doesn't make it the right first choice for everyone.

blacksmithden
07-28-2016, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty sure that Ruger SR22 is just a milder version of my SR45....and if it is, you're going to like how easy it is to take care of. I can have the slide off and the barrel out in about 5 seconds flat. No, I'm not joking.....5 seconds.

Calibre
07-28-2016, 09:15 PM
In order of ease of disassembly:

M&P22
Walther P22
Ruger SR22
Browning Buckmark.

The thing is the Buckmark needs tools to take apart. However it is easily the nicest gun of the bunch. I'd also consider the new S&W Victory.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Waynetheman
07-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Haha I like your newbie badge.

Prairie Dog
07-28-2016, 10:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuUPT5VGtno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKvwtmAJt3s

wolver
07-29-2016, 02:51 AM
Stay away from the Ruger MK I, II, or III semi pistol. Not field stripping friendly.

Mark-II
07-29-2016, 07:00 AM
The Mark ll isn't bad, though assembly requires a bit of technique and an understanding of how the machine works. But I've had it since I was 12 lol.

I'm told the Victory is dead easy, though the Allen bolt seems somehow a crude implement.

S&W 41 is dead easy, but not a cheap gun.

Generally for a semi I will swab the breach and bolt face many times before I have to take the whole thing apart. The Ruger, for example, only gets stripped when the bolt itself starts to drag from getting gummed up with fouling. That's an every few thousand rounds things. But every couple sessions enough fouling builds up on the breach and bolt faces that it will result in light primer strikes.

Smc
07-29-2016, 08:26 AM
A revolver doesn't need tools, or need to be taken apart (normally), but it is a pain to clean properly. Most semi's have to come apart, but takedown is relatively easy, and cleaning is easy.

MissMeggie
07-29-2016, 02:45 PM
I gotta say: I love YouTube. It makes this stuff so much easier to research. Thanks for embedding the vids! The only thing is that I never know is how much of it is true-to-life. I mean, I remember watching Shadetree Mechanic years ago and they make it look like pulling a camshaft or installing a transmission cooler is a piece of cake and everything just slides out or clicks into place. Real life: not so much. There is usually a lot more swearing. And banging. And grease.

I did have my hands on the Victory and it was nice. Very pretty and a decent fit too. I do remember thinking that having to involve a screwdriver to disassemble the Browning would be a pain. (How's that for lazy?)

Waynetheman: thanks! I figure it explains everything without having to say it. :cool:
Smc: I realized that when one of the sales guys just clicked back the slide and removed it on one of the guns in the store. I think the look on my face was a literal "aha!" moment. lol

Waynetheman
07-29-2016, 05:44 PM
You seem like a hands on person you'll be fine, whatever you end up getting. To be honest not many guns are all that complicated it's not exactly rocket surgery. ones with some sort of service history are especially good since most of the time they're designed to be taken down without any tools.

Justice
07-31-2016, 10:50 AM
None of 'em are particularly hard to clean. .22's tend to not get cleaned often anyway.
Ruger MK I, II, or III semi pistol don't require stripping to clean. You still don't want to do it without knowing that Patience can be a virtue even when something really needs strangling. snicker. However, the SR22 is nothing like any earlier model.

Mark-II
07-31-2016, 06:08 PM
Here's a dirty little trick as well.

Remove plastic or wooden grip panels, take gun outside. Try not to get swatted by hippy neighbours. Hose the sucker out with brake cleaner; just go to town.

Let it dry

Hopefully it wasn't a muddy girl, or similar hydro dipped finish - oops!

Before you do this get an empty gallon can or pickle jar and mix up some Eds Red, at least tha ATF, varsol, kerosene components

Dunk the whole gun into that stuff, wipe down, shake out, let dry, (got compressed air or a can of air duster?) and viola! Or at least cello... Gun is clean and you didn't have to strip it.

Brake cleaner strips all the oil off of the metal. The ATF in the Eds Red puts it back.

And for a .22 you don't often want more lube than that. They usually run better dry, and accumulate less filth.