PDA

View Full Version : 30/30 lever for a kid's first rifle?

davy crockett
08-04-2012, 01:31 PM
My 13 year old daughter just got her hunting license and I'm having a hard time deciding what is a good choice for a first rifle.

She will be hunting deer only at first in southern BC, so think mostly < 150 yards, mostly in wooded, hilly terrain.

She is tall for her age but not strong. She handled the recoil of my Vz58 shooting offhand and my .308 from the bench so reasonable recoil is ok.

I've been looking at a Howa 1500 youth in either .243 or 7mm-08, or a Marlin lever
in 30-30.

I like the Howa because its a decent action in a appropriately sized stock but it needs rings and a scope. I like the lever because it has iron sights and an easy action, plus if she is bored of hunting I can claim it :D, but the cartridge is a bit lackluster.

Any thoughts or other suggestions in the $500 range?

lone-wolf
08-04-2012, 01:52 PM
The howa youth has the hogue stock too doesn't it? Seems like a good choice, I like my full sized one.

Rory McCanuck
08-04-2012, 04:38 PM
.... so think mostly < 150 yards, mostly in wooded, hilly terrain.

I like the lever because it has iron sights and an easy action, plus if she is bored of hunting I can claim it :D, but the cartridge is a bit lackluster.

Does she regularly peruse ballistic tables and pooh pooh the 30-30?
Probably not, and if you don't tell her, and don't tell the deer, there shouldn't be a problem.
All this is moot if she looks at a lever gun and says she doesn't want to play cowboy.
Take her to the store, and let her have a look and feel of them all.
You can buy her a presentation grade Kleingunther guaranteed to shoot 1/2 MOA,
but if she doesn't like the gun, she won't enjoy herself.

Let her pick the gun (within reason) and don't worry about the caliber too much.
Anything 243 and up will do, just don't let her get a MagnumBlaster3000 that'll scare her.

BuckingFastard
08-05-2012, 04:24 AM
I just went through this with one of my little brothers he just turned 13 in July, I wanted to get him a micro Midas or micro medallion in 7mm08 so when he was done with it he could pass it on to my youngest brother who's 10. (don't know who was the mistake being there's 20 years between us but I'm pretty sure it's me) ;) anyway I took him out to try out a few guns and with all the new video games out he was to cool for "cowboy" gun and lop was to short for the micros. I ended up opening the vault at home for him to try thing out and the little bugger took a liking to my cz 550 in 243, dammit. Like rory said take her out and try a few different rifles and pick one that is best suited for her and her hunting needs.

BruceW
08-05-2012, 07:43 AM
How is the weight of a howa with scope compared to the marlin? (I'm thinking about her packing it)
In the long run, I personally think you're a better shot if you start with regular, factory iron sights than with a scope, but I'm sure others will disagree.

Rory McCanuck
08-05-2012, 05:09 PM
...In the long run, I personally think you're a better shot if you start with regular, factory iron sights than with a scope, but I'm sure others will disagree.
Agreed 100% and a peep is the best of the bunch.

Joe549
08-06-2012, 11:10 AM
A 30-30 would be a good choice. They are light weight and low recoil and usually a little bit shorter on the stock so it will probably fit her better.

Looky
08-06-2012, 05:31 PM
The Marlin would be a good choice too.
The lever and mechanism of these rifles are superb.
At least the older ones that I am familiar with.
The 7mm-08 is a great choice as well for a new shooter.

50calshooter
08-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Great thread, be sure to take some pics of her sighting in her new rifle....

Good Luck

GopherHunter
08-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I stared with a bolt 7mm, at about 12 so a 30-30 would be a good one personally i think

jrcbecher
08-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Got to love it good luck to both of you I agree let her choose with some guidance as to type of rifle and their strong and weak points Cheers

05-14-2018, 01:55 AM
My 13 year old daughter just got her hunting license and I'm having a hard time deciding what is a good choice for a first rifle.

She will be hunting deer only at first in southern BC, so think mostly < 150 yards, mostly in wooded, hilly terrain.

She is tall for her age but not strong. She handled the recoil of my Vz58 shooting offhand and my .308 from the bench so reasonable recoil is ok.

I've been looking at a Howa 1500 youth in either .243 or 7mm-08, or a Marlin lever
in 30-30.

I like the Howa because its a decent action in a appropriately sized stock but it needs rings and a scope. I like the lever because it has iron sights and an easy action, plus if she is bored of hunting I can claim it :D, but the cartridge is a bit lackluster.

Best choice for your young daughter is the Marlin 336Y -youth model which has a 16.3" barrel and a shorter length of pull. Cabelas has new one for under $500. However, new ones are not JM models so need to check things out carefully before buying.

RobertMcC
05-14-2018, 06:03 AM
Best choice for your young daughter is the Marlin 336Y -youth model which has a 16.3" barrel and a shorter length of pull. Cabelas has new one for under $500. However, new ones are not JM models so need to check things out carefully before buying.

You know this thread is 6 years old, his daughter is now an adult.

SIR VEYOR
05-14-2018, 06:38 AM
You know this thread is 6 years old, his daughter is now an adult.

Not quite. It’s birthday would be August...

So maybe we need an update on what she’s upgraded to. Maybe shotties, likely 300 Blackout though...

RobertMcC
05-14-2018, 06:40 AM
Not quite. It’s birthday would be August...

So maybe we need an update on what she’s upgraded to. Maybe shotties, likely 300 Blackout though...

Okay so like 5 years and like 8 months. Close enough.

But daughter would be like 18/19.

Swamphunter
06-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Really!? Too funny! All of the listed choices would be good. I agree. Let her see, shoulder, and hopefully shoot some different rifles in entry calibers. Love to see new shooters and hunters. Canada needs more.