PDA

View Full Version : Help? Trigger Group Latch Not Budging

Candychikita
08-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Help please. I'm attempting to clean my SKS today.

I've got a video I'm attempting to follow, only the trigger group latch isn't budging. As far as I can see, the trigger group needs to come off for the rest of the guts to come out of this gun. The trigger group shifts a bit when I'm pressing the latch, the latch presses in only slightly with maximum candychikita force.

Ok to use some sort of lube here, or am I just going to make things too slippery? Videos I've seen show a bullet works, doesn't look like too much pressure is going on in there. Hammer? Whacky whacky?

Haywire1
08-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Screwdriver or a punch in the depression, solid whack with a hammer.

You do NOT have to remove the trigger group in order to strip the sks for cleaning however, only if your swapping stocks or really want to disassemble something. Screw the video, here is a step by step how too, with pictures, from here :-)

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?3052-How-to-s-of-the-SkS

kennymo
08-03-2016, 07:34 PM
I use a good, solid Phillips (the star, or X shaped one :p) screwdriver to push in the latch. The pointy end fits in the little detent just like a bullet tip, but you get a ton more leverage. And I can't remember, does the safety have to be in a certain position before the SKS trigger assembly comes apart? I know I have a semi auto that only goes to pieces if the safety is either on or off (can't recall which).

Candychikita
08-03-2016, 07:44 PM
I've got mud underneath and around the ATI Monte Carlo stock that's on it - figured since I'm going to make a solid attempt to get to know this creature, I'd really get to know her. I saw the pictures and the how-to on the SKS thread though :)

I tried with safety on and safety off. The video I'm watching says safety on.

So we are clear to give'r a whack with the hammer? No damages? I kindof like this gun.

GonZo
08-03-2016, 07:49 PM
Mine requires a good solid thwack with a hammer. And not a small one. Comrade Stalins rifle is a solid beast sometimes. And also a punch or phillips screwdriver. I recomend the punch.

Sent from somewhere

Haywire1
08-03-2016, 07:51 PM
Stick a Philips aka cross ortartippedscrewdriver in the bullet depression and give er a whack. That is how ya do it. To reinstall set the sks on the ground and whack the trigger guard back into place.

Its a russian gun, it can take a few whacks

Candychikita
08-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Thank you :)

lutherieguy
08-03-2016, 07:58 PM
It should NOT be removable by design, with the safety on..

found this out the hard way and forced it about 25 years ago.. Put the safety ON, then all it should take (again, by design) is the tip of a 7.62x39 round to push it in

:)

as mentioned a Philips screwdriver is easier on the hands

Candychikita
08-03-2016, 09:20 PM
A HA! She's all clean and ready to go. Filthy creature :) Now I'M the filthy creature :)

I can successfully take her mostly apart :)

ESnel
08-03-2016, 10:05 PM
A HA! She's all clean and ready to go. Filthy creature :) Now I'M the filthy creature :)

I can successfully take her mostly apart :)

Any pieces left over after you get it re-assembled :popcorn:

Candychikita
08-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Any pieces left over after you get it re-assembled :popcorn:

Nope. All pieces in and accounted for. I had some further difficulties but for the most part, everything looks to be in the right homes and moving the way I remembered it should.

The piston extension under the sight kept sproinging out at me. The little lever is very easy to move. When I took the gas tube off, the piston was tame and stayed in its place...it wasn't until I was trying to put everything back together that it got exciteable and started sproinging all over the place. GET INNN THERRRREEE *grunt* *poke* *sproinggggggg* I remembered the lever being down and locking everything in place, but when I had the gas tube in place, the lever didn't naturally fall into place. Lots of sproinging later I figured out that it may need a little percussive persuasion to lock everything in place and TA DAAA. That was exactly the trick.

As well, sitting the trigger group back down in its proper home was a bit daunting. It looked like things would fit, but it was snug. Smallish whack with a hammer and things were home and working. Normally when things aren't fitting in properly it means something isn't in the right place, not to go at er with a hammer.

I like all the pictures with the names attached to it in the SKS thread - it makes it easier to talk about it. The pictures in the manual I have are not as focused in on the angles that I am looking at everything. I have terminology!!

I broke my stupid sling though and I think it may be irreplaceable. I think I remember it being slightly fooked when I put it on the first time right out of the box, the screw on one of the attachment points. Meh. Not worth taking away from my victory of conquoring this SKS :)

Satain
08-04-2016, 04:17 PM
MAKE SURE THE SAFETY IS ON!!!

Candychikita
08-04-2016, 05:06 PM
MAKE SURE THE SAFETY IS ON!!!

It was :)

Likeaboss
08-04-2016, 05:10 PM
...sproinging...

Luv

R&R Rancher
08-04-2016, 05:52 PM
GET INNN THERRRREEE *grunt* *poke* *sproinggggggg*

Sounds like the first time I tried to replace the action spring on a Remington 1100. If I hadn't been the one to take it out I would have doubted it was supposed to go in there. Then getting the slotted keeper far enough in the tube to line up the slot with the holes in the tube so the shouldered pin would slide in was the next challenge. Before i got it all together there was a small intermission while I searched the far end of the room for the keeper. I will say that it has become a lot easier with practice.

kennymo
08-04-2016, 07:15 PM
...sproinging...

What is....the sound you hear the first time you take apart an SVT-40, Alex?

TacticalCanuck
08-09-2016, 06:46 AM
Bullet tip fits perfectly in the dimole on the release retention button. Just dont hit that bad boy with a hammer!!

Haywire1
08-09-2016, 08:30 AM
She didnt. She used a screwdriver in the retention pin which she then hit with a hammer. Its an sks, its used to hammers lol