PDA

View Full Version : Bernier on Ruger 10/22 Issue

mojo88
08-08-2016, 02:50 PM
Maxime Bernier posted a comment on his Facebook page about the Ruger 10/22 issue and linked back to MP Larry Miller's op-ed on it. Perhaps we finally have a pro-gun candidate in the CPC Leadership race.

https://www.facebook.com/hon.maximebernier/

Maxime Bernier:

My colleague Larry Miller, MP is asking the right question: In what world is this fair?
"Many firearms owners across Canada are still left scratching their heads at the recent prohibition on firearms magazines that are manufactured for the 10/22 Ruger platform."
"Law-abiding firearms owners in Canada have been pushed around for far too long by a backdoor classification system that gives the RCMP Firearms Program the ability to classify firearms and other components of firearms as prohibited and restricted with the stroke of a pen."

R&R Rancher
08-08-2016, 03:08 PM
I'm liking this.

coastal
08-08-2016, 03:28 PM
I'm a big fan of Maxime, he's got my vote.

labradort
08-08-2016, 03:46 PM
With a little improvement in security awareness, he could be OK. I wonder if he is the type to answer those spear phishing emails.

Carguy2550
08-08-2016, 07:34 PM
Looks like Max may have earned himself a donation.

Mark-II
08-09-2016, 08:17 PM
Yeah it's been over a few Tory pages with the line about how they support gun owners.

It's appreciated, but I had to toss a bucket of ice down their shorts all the same because they did sweet eff all for us.

The registry was a money saver more than it was for us. C-42 did nothing, because it's utterly undoable.

They kept the extortion racket going of us paying the government in order to keep our (now illegal) property and avoid criminal charges.

That's the firearms act summed up, and they had complete ownership of it.

Thanks, "friend"...

Swampdonkey
08-09-2016, 08:31 PM
The LGR bill was huge, the RCMP are back to door-to-door searches and checkpoints without it. A whole new generation of untrackable gun owners exists, more cynical than the Fudds.

Between the LGR, TFSA, + 5%GST, the CPC has my extreme gratitude.

Mark-II
08-09-2016, 10:28 PM
not huge when the cops still know you have guns thanks to mandatory licensing as a defence against having your life utterly ruined.

The registry was one expensive part of that steaming pile of crap. Licensing was the core of it.

And handing the keys over to a non-governmental enforcement branch who is enabled, through lax or non-existent oversight, to run the program as they see fit, until given a smack on the knuckles, was a great way to absolve government of culpability in actively trampling basic civil liberties.

Sorry. I'm just testy that these folks now claim to be our great friends. Friends don't place conditions on friendship.
They're leagues better than those crypto commies we have now, but friends? No... Not really...more like a cheaply bought alliance.

The GST rollback was to spite the liberals. It is also appreciated, but it was still a political maneuver to both one up The Cretin as well as to Virtue Signal, to use the newspeak, that these Tories were not the old Mulrooney Gang

Foxer
08-09-2016, 11:36 PM
not huge when the cops still know you have guns thanks to mandatory licensing as a defence against having your life utterly ruined.

The registry was one expensive part of that steaming pile of crap. Licensing was the core of it.

And handing the keys over to a non-governmental enforcement branch who is enabled, through lax or non-existent oversight, to run the program as they see fit, until given a smack on the knuckles, was a great way to absolve government of culpability in actively trampling basic civil liberties.

Sorry. I'm just testy that these folks now claim to be our great friends. Friends don't place conditions on friendship.
They're leagues better than those crypto commies we have now, but friends? No... Not really...more like a cheaply bought alliance.

The GST rollback was to spite the liberals. It is also appreciated, but it was still a political maneuver to both one up The Cretin as well as to Virtue Signal, to use the newspeak, that these Tories were not the old Mulrooney Gang

Sorry bud, but that's utter rubbish. Having a license is not proof you have guns, and it certainly doesn't tell them what guns. That was absolutely critical to their disarmament plan and it's gone. They used to be able to knock on your door and say 'we know you have such and such guns so we're searching', whereas now they can't. All they can tell a judge is you're licensed and MAY own guns.

C-42 was a pretty damn solid step and was entirely doable. Guess who's out shooting the guns that the cops tried to ban and collect?

And arguing that killing the registry was a 'cost savings' measure is just silly. While it cost a great deal to set up, by the time they were trying to kill it the costs were minimal. That was the liberal argument - sure it cost a fortune to get going but now that we've got it and it's so cheap, why not keep it?

And the CPC has never pretended to be 'great friends' with us. They support us. They took a LOT of actions to support us. But they're the GOV'T - they're not a gun club, they're not there to do whatever we want, they're there to run the bloody country and considering it was one of the worst economic times in 80 years, that was kind of their primary focus.

All this whining and crying and bellyaching that somehow we weren't their main focus in life and they should have spent most of their time working on our crap.... Jeezuz christ, get a GRIP! They did what they promised, they spent a pretty significant amount of money and time on us, more than most special interest groups, and they certainly did 10 times more than any gov't in history on our behalf, and they kicked the disarmament folks square in the nards. Well done. They're not our bestest buddy pals, they're not the 'conservative gun owners party of Canada', and they DO have other jobs to do.

That's about as good as it gets for any special interest group under any gov't. They're good allies - they're not fantabulous or incredible allies, but they're good ones and we're lucky to have a party that will stick up for us.

Quit trying to piss on what they did do, and start looking at how to work with them and make sure they do more for us the next time they're in and make sure that's after the next election. Because if selfie-boy is too busy to really cause us grief in his first term, you KNOW he's going to unload both barrels in his second.

Doug_M
08-10-2016, 05:09 AM
And the CPC has never pretended to be 'great friends' with us. They support us. They took a LOT of actions to support us. But they're the GOV'T - they're not a gun club, they're not there to do whatever we want, they're there to run the bloody country and considering it was one of the worst economic times in 80 years, that was kind of their primary focus.

And just imagine Foxer if 50,000 of us joined the party and participated at the EDA level. Just imagine. It took me a while to realize it. But as you and others have said before, democracy starts with voting in the election, but that is the absolute minimum as far as participation is concerned. That's the bottom. I don't know what the CPC's current membership is, but Harper won the leadership in '04 with just over 67,000 votes.

Bottom line, if gun owners want the party to do X then gun owners must join the party and participate. We could OWN the party easily. I get it, that takes effort. I didn't join the party myself until 2 years ago and didn't participate in my local EDA until a year ago. But it is time for all of us (who aren't already) to put up or shut up. No offence, but that is the reality of politics, especially when you belong to a special interest group that has had a bad rap for the past 20 years.

RangeBob
08-10-2016, 08:35 AM
And arguing that killing the registry was a 'cost savings' measure is just silly.
True.

The firearms act was fought as the Billion Dollar Boondoggle for years, really gaining steam when the Auditor General released her first report. At the same time the minority government Conservatives decided the Long Gun Registry was an acceptable target, and quickly the Billion Dollar Boondoggle ended up in the press and the arguments, incorrectly, as due to Long Gun Registry costs.

While it cost a great deal to set up

The LGR did not cost a great deal to set up.
It was licencing that was the bulk of the costs.

by the time they were trying to kill it the costs were minimal

There's some debate about that. The PLEIAD report, which technically was talking about several bills none of which we got, said depending upon the bill it would save between 1.6 million per year and 4.0 million per year. But you and I, upon looking at it, realized that the report missed a bunch of things. Just the envelopes and stamps came to more than that. The RCMP, in a bit of creative accounting, over a few years, moved a bunch of $ from registration support to licencing support, including everything Human Resources related including pensions and all of IT. Harper was talking about moving 300 employees to another nearby new agency new building (all government payroll?) -- although 300 employees when the Canadian Firearms Centre Mirimachi building I think has about 500 employees seems excessive, 300 employees would be about $22 million per year. I think I settled on the LGR saving a little over $10 million per year, based pretty much solely on the RCMPs earlier published registration budget, as part of the $75 million per year or so overall Canadian Firearms Program budget.

That was the liberal argument - sure it cost a fortune to get going but now that we've got it and it's so cheap, why not keep it?
Actually I remember with distaste the Liberal in committee who said something like "This is only going to save four million a year according to the RCMP. It's not worth our time to even talk about it."

And the CPC has never pretended to be 'great friends' with us. They support us. They took a LOT of actions to support us

There was more than just the LGR. Explosive Act amendments 2013 (e.g. jail if not lock up ammunition), rejection of gun show regulations, amnesties, refusal to adopt UN marking system, a firearms advisory committee not made up of antis and feminists, Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act, just to name a few. Under the CPC we did not have to live worrying about what the government might have planned next for us (semi ban. magazine ban. ... ban), and if a bureaucrat did we had someone in our corner the bureaucrats would rather not fight (they did anyway, but they didn't enjoy it).