PDA

View Full Version : OBSOLETE RIFLES AND YOU

Riflechair
08-10-2016, 03:48 PM
If your chainsaw blew up and you needed wood heat to survive the winter would you quit?
OR
Would you dust off the Swede Saw and Axe and keep working?

Is there any difference when it comes to rifles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcoV1jxAuTk

Swampdonkey
08-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Something's wrong with your closed captioning.

Kenwp
08-11-2016, 04:53 AM
The only obsolete rifle I have is one that it is impossible to find ammo for period.

FALover
08-11-2016, 05:08 AM
The only obsolete rifle I have is one that it is impossible to find ammo for period.

FIX BAYONETS!

Riflechair
08-11-2016, 10:12 AM
FIX BAYONETS!
Ha ha haaaa laughing hard

kennymo
08-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Buy a new chainsaw? Refurbs are like $90 at Princess Auto :p.

I'd like to get the old Swiss Veterrilli shooting one day. I hear if I convert it to centrefire brass can be formed from 8mm Lebel......

LB303
08-11-2016, 10:46 AM
FIX BAYONETS!
A phrase nobody ever wants to hear, I'm sure

...but my No 4 makes a dandy club without it, try that with your plastic space gun

Swampdonkey
08-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Many antiques are as functional as they ever were, but are no longer competitive or economically practical.

Classic + antique cars are very popular in my city, but nobody uses them to commute or as work vehicles.

Firewood is also common work, but at $200/cord, when the chainsaw's kaput nobody has time to use a bowsaw to buck rounds.

While hunting with a Lee-Enfield or SKS is still done, it's not done to be efficient at killing game, rather, for greater sport or cultural ritual.

As for calling the SMLE the greatest bolt action ever made, it rings of diehard Chevrolet or John Deere or Toronto Maple Leafs fans - there were some good runs, but it's not the alpha and omega of the art.

SMLE had some great points such as a smooth action, superior sights, a highly functional removable magazine. It's also expensive to build and rather weak, hence it's not a parent design of any modern rifles. The Krag-Jorgensen and Lee-Navy rifles were also smooth, but weak, actions in the same category.

Riflechair
08-11-2016, 09:07 PM
CORRECTION
My argument is that the lee enfield was (and still is) the greatest bolt action battle rifle ever conceived by human beings.

Many antiques are as functional as they ever were, but are no longer competitive or economically practical.

Classic + antique cars are very popular in my city, but nobody uses them to commute or as work vehicles.

Firewood is also common work, but at $200/cord, when the chainsaw's kaput nobody has time to use a bowsaw to buck rounds.

While hunting with a Lee-Enfield or SKS is still done, it's not done to be efficient at killing game, rather, for greater sport or cultural ritual.

As for calling the SMLE the greatest bolt action ever made, it rings of diehard Chevrolet or John Deere or Toronto Maple Leafs fans - there were some good runs, but it's not the alpha and omega of the art.

SMLE had some great points such as a smooth action, superior sights, a highly functional removable magazine. It's also expensive to build and rather weak, hence it's not a parent design of any modern rifles. The Krag-Jorgensen and Lee-Navy rifles were also smooth, but weak, actions in the same category.