CAUSE
LACK OF BULLET CRIMP
POOR BULLET SEATING

RESULT
HIGH CHAMBER PRESSURE MAY RESULT IN CATASTROPHIC FAILURE

UPDATE!
------------------
11 AUGUST 2016
Crimping every round has 100% eliminated the 'failure to feed' (FTF) issue with this ammunition lot...
------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYisjOwr8wc

Sandhu
08-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Hm.. I haven't crimped a single 223 round I've reloaded for my ar-15. Not a single failure to feed or anything. 200 77gr smk 200 Hornady 55gr vmax and 500 campro 55gr since april.

I'd say it's poor brass quality more than lack of crimp. Obviously combo of the two makes for bad times.

blacksmithden
08-10-2016, 07:07 PM
I may have found one of these empty cases out at the range the other day. The shoulder had about 8 splits in it. Don't know the story...just found the empty result. What ever it was, it was steel, and wasn't just a bad reload.

Doug_M
08-11-2016, 06:28 AM
Thanks for posting that. Checked mine and while it's from 1995, it is lot 23. I've gone through most of a crate of this lot and haven't had a single failure, not one.

Booletsnotreactwell
08-11-2016, 06:46 AM
I gotta tell you, I've personally shot over 10,000 rounds of the white box 93-95 Norinco just like yours out of a Colt AR15A4 the same exact rifle you have. Other than 3-5 dead primers I never had an issue.

harbl_the_cat
08-11-2016, 09:59 AM
I've actually had that happen a lot to me too, intermittently, including at a 3-gun shoot here:

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?33103-9-Catastrophic-Gun-Malfunctions-You-Can-Learn-From&p=396159&viewfull=1#post396159

Good thing I'm unemployed soon. I have 20-30 crates of the stuff, I think I'll crimp them.

Riflechair
08-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Again this lot #17.
If you're not having this issue you might not be shooting lot #17.

harbl_the_cat
08-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Again this lot #17.
If you're not having this issue you might not be shooting lot #17.

I've seen the exact same thing happen - not sure which lot - and I've shot a lot of it.

Stephen
08-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Well, what do I do with it now? Get a refund or let it blow up in my face and sue Norinco? Ha.

harbl_the_cat
08-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Well, what do I do with it now? Get a refund or let it blow up in my face and sue Norinco? Ha.

Sell it maybe?

BrotherRockeye
08-11-2016, 02:30 PM
Sell it maybe?

pass a possible "catastrophic" failure off on someone else... :slap:

I won't be buying anything from you on the market place!

harbl_the_cat
08-11-2016, 04:03 PM
pass a possible "catastrophic" failure off on someone else... :slap:

I won't be buying anything from you on the market place!

I'd buy it personally.

I think the only way you'd get a KB is if a round didn't' chamber, had massive bullet setback and attempted to rechamber and shoot the setback round.

Personally, I've shot tens of thousands of these rounds, including several that I believe may have been suffering from this very issue. To date - no KB - just annoying FTF's.

If I had an abundance of time (which I may soon), I wouldn't mind sitting on a press crimping them.

x0ra
08-11-2016, 05:26 PM
This awfully look like FTF I'm getting with a T97 using certain mags which sit too low in the mag well...

Riflechair
08-11-2016, 09:03 PM
UPDATE!
------------------
11 AUGUST 2016
Crimping every round has 100% eliminated the 'failure to feed' (FTF) issue with this ammunition lot...
------------------

Petamocto
08-11-2016, 09:59 PM
I have had a huge amount of issues with this ammo in everything except an AR.

It didn't do any damage to but would get stuck in my CZ527, it jams like crazy in my Benelli MR1, and I think it broke the firing pin on my Mossberg MVP. My AR can cycle and shoot it, though.

I find that just handling them, you'll get some that have come so loose that they freely jiggle free, either out of the casing (dumping powder everywhere), or going up inside it.

I demand my money back, China!

Stephen
08-12-2016, 03:22 AM
This awfully look like FTF I'm getting with a T97 using certain mags which sit too low in the mag well...

Same.

Stephen
08-12-2016, 03:22 AM

Same.

TapRoot
08-12-2016, 09:34 AM
I bought a few crates of this two years ago and pretty much 1/10 rounds failed or in some cases dozens back to back forcing me to lay down the 5.56 for the day in frustration.

Ive had even worse experiences, such as the case splitting in half and the new round wedging itself inside the neck of the previous case in the barrel...I also found when the bullet was pushed into the case, powder would fly into the barrel and if you did a quick rack to eject the bad round, the new round would jam inside the barrel with the excess powder...I thought it was just my vx58 feed ramp not being large enough or the AR mag well adapter getting loose.

id post pics but I dont want to upload twice, why is there not a direct hard-drive upload option? or am I just blind?

harbl_the_cat
08-12-2016, 09:59 AM

Same.

Did you guys file down your feed ramps?

I had that issue until I filed down mine.

harbl_the_cat
08-12-2016, 10:02 AM
I have had a huge amount of issues with this ammo in everything except an AR.

It didn't do any damage to but would get stuck in my CZ527, it jams like crazy in my Benelli MR1, and I think it broke the firing pin on my Mossberg MVP. My AR can cycle and shoot it, though.

I find that just handling them, you'll get some that have come so loose that they freely jiggle free, either out of the casing (dumping powder everywhere), or going up inside it.

I demand my money back, China!

That's so weird, I've probably shot 4-5 crates of the stuff through 8 different AR's and 3 different T97's.

I've had intermittent setback issues with it, but none to the point that I consider it unsafe or unusable. If anything, I like shooting with it, since I get pretty good practice with IA's and stoppages, but not so frequently that I find it frustrating.

harbl_the_cat
08-12-2016, 10:02 AM
UPDATE!
------------------
11 AUGUST 2016
------------------

I sat down last night on my press last night and crimped about 200 rounds. I'll give it a go and see if reliability improves.

Riflechair
08-13-2016, 09:35 AM
TR this is seriously bad dude.
It's a pain but if you crimp 5 boxes a day you will polish off a case in no time. It's pretty fast and eliminates this issue. I've also found that my groups got a lot smaller.

I bought a few crates of this two years ago and pretty much 1/10 rounds failed or in some cases dozens back to back forcing me to lay down the 5.56 for the day in frustration.

Ive had even worse experiences, such as the case splitting in half and the new round wedging itself inside the neck of the previous case in the barrel...I also found when the bullet was pushed into the case, powder would fly into the barrel and if you did a quick rack to eject the bad round, the new round would jam inside the barrel with the excess powder...I thought it was just my vx58 feed ramp not being large enough or the AR mag well adapter getting loose.

id post pics but I dont want to upload twice, why is there not a direct hard-drive upload option? or am I just blind?