PDA

View Full Version : Just add pigs

BruceW
08-28-2016, 08:05 AM
New pigpen, almost ready for weaner's in the spring. Looking around for a cheap gravity feed water bowl, if anyone know's where to pick one up??
20' by 30', on a slope, runoff into a hayfield (once we finish cleaning that area up).
Nothing serious, just a few pigs; one for a summer bbq and a couple for meat, perhaps one or two more if any of the neighbors want one. Looking around for a servicable roller or hammermill.
Total cost to date: 108 dollars. Selective logging, what I had laying around, purchased 2 rolls of paige wire and some screws.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab28/sukametressaracing/DSC00812_zps2gmgv9s0.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/user/sukametressaracing/media/DSC00812_zps2gmgv9s0.jpg.html)

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab28/sukametressaracing/DSC00813_zpsy0anc2ib.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/user/sukametressaracing/media/DSC00813_zpsy0anc2ib.jpg.html)

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab28/sukametressaracing/DSC00814_zpstxd7jrm8.jpg (http://s846.photobucket.com/user/sukametressaracing/media/DSC00814_zpstxd7jrm8.jpg.html)

pitw
08-28-2016, 08:40 AM
That's a great looking setup. The feeder is awesome. The one thing I have learned about pigs is if they can see out then they want out. They will root under or climb over. Are those posts blue stoned or other wise treated? For a gravity water system I just use an old water trough that the head pressure makes it work. Any barrel will work. Keep us informed of how it's going.

lone-wolf
08-28-2016, 11:07 AM
Watch for holes, they love to dig

Yea, that feeder is awesome

RangeBob
08-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Good of you to have wire fencing, so that strange PETA women can give them Perrier Sparkling Natural Mineral Water.

http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/upload/members/253_0.jpg
"Fit for a Pig?"

RangeBob
08-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Interesting work.
I don't know anything about pigs, but the pig areas I've stood next to:
- the fencing/metal was strong enough that I could kick it and lean on it, and it wouldn't budge, anywhere, and
- there was often a depressed area beside the water, that the pigs turned into mud, to keep cool in the summer, and
- half shade, half sun.

Kenwp
08-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Where do you live makes it easier to figure out where to find you a water system. A nipple in the bottom of a barrel will even work for a few pigs. Just keep it full and watch the stuipd hole doesn't plug up. I would have to tell you that a electric fence is in your future every pen built with page wire ends up with it one time or another.

BruceW
08-28-2016, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the compliments and tips guys. My first thought was just to buy either some treated 4x4's or posts, sink'em and nail rough 2x8's to them with 6" spikes......until I priced it out, yikes! Thus the current setup.
The poles along the bottom are nailed to the posts with spikes, the paige wire is nailed to the them with fencing staples. They'd have to try for awhile to get under that, at least long enough for me to see them working on it. Wasn't sure about the fencing wire.
Sister is in the process of replacing her corrals, texted her and the old boards are in a pile I'm welcome to, so will grab a bunch of the rough 2x8's, double up on top of the 1x4's with one and put another above them to block the view. That oughta' do it. And thanks again because I wouldn't have thought of them if it hadn't been mentioned.
The feeder was really a case of laying out the plywood I had on some sawhorses and making what I could with it. Had a pile of the corrugated sheeting which has been super handy.
We've a shallow well not too far from it so I figured on just parking a tank beside the pen for water. The local co-op has small floats for tanks and the nipple type, but I've seen the small float bowls that are quite cheap, just not sure where to get them. Kind of like that idea as if they figure out the float valve in a trough it'll be the new game until the tanks empty. Really, the nipple idea may be the smarter one, and it'd be super easy to set up.

Was originally planning a wallow, or even just a shade area as I still have some of that corrugated tin, but where it is it'll really only have full sun for maybe 3 or 4 hours/day at most, being up against the trees to the E and the barn about 50yds W of it.

Raised pigs for extra cash as a kid but that was a long time ago, and I built the pen into an old chicken coop, so they were inside (which meant shovelling it out every other day). Kind of like the 4' high wire to maybe help keep other critters out as well. Granted a wolf or a cat there's nothing I can do, but there's a pair of foxes and while I haven't seen a coyote there are coyotes we hear in the evening hanging around some cattle about a mile N of us. (haven't seen a wolf but they're in the area; only seen one cougar track and that was early last spring).

kennymo
08-28-2016, 10:34 PM
Watch for holes, they love to dig

Yea, that feeder is awesome

Back on the farm we had to line the outside of the fence with large stones, as they would eventually burrow out once they turned an area to muck.

Forbes/Hutton
08-28-2016, 11:11 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/61036424.jpg

BrotherRockeye
08-29-2016, 11:17 AM
what pigs taught me:
(or the lamentations of a bacon addict)

a good dog will bring your pigs back when they get out
a really good dog will keep them from leaving
one of each will let one get out so they can teach it a lesson for the rest to hear.
an electric wire at nose level inside the fence will keep you from having to check the fence
pigs only run for home when they are in sight of the dogs
a pig can't run home with a dog on each hind leg
I'm now to old to clear a 4 strand fence on the run to save a pig
pigs like pork too
if you are polite when one approaches you she will stock you and leave poetry under your windshield wiper...

Kenwp
08-29-2016, 04:01 PM
Everybody tells me pigs are smart. Come around my place every second Friday and weight them and then ship them at 4 in the morning on a Monday and you will swear at them too. At Olds College the one tester said if you try and tell me you never kicked a pig I will fail you right now as nobody can work for them more then a few minutes and not want to boot one. That and God put their heads on the wrong end. I can tell you I enjoy my once a month bacon with pleasure.

lone-wolf
08-29-2016, 05:13 PM
lol, I was going to say, we had pigs for a couple years and the only thing I learned was that they're assholes

mavrik9
08-29-2016, 05:20 PM
what pigs taught me:
(or the lamentations of a bacon addict)

a good dog will bring your pigs back when they get out
a really good dog will keep them from leaving
one of each will let one get out so they can teach it a lesson for the rest to hear.
an electric wire at nose level inside the fence will keep you from having to check the fence
pigs only run for home when they are in sight of the dogs
a pig can't run home with a dog on each hind leg
I'm now to old to clear a 4 strand fence on the run to save a pig
pigs like pork too
if you are polite when one approaches you she will stock you and leave poetry under your windshield wiper...
Who doesn't like a little stocker poetry

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

BrotherRockeye
08-29-2016, 09:20 PM
gal walked up to me in the hotel one time and started chatting me up.

She suggested I give her a call some time so I asked if she had a pen.

She replied that she did, so I told her she better hurry back before the farmer notices her missing.

She didn't see the humor in that... :(

Kenwp
08-29-2016, 09:24 PM
You seem to attract these kind of people or what.

Forbes/Hutton
08-29-2016, 09:24 PM
There's white ones, black ones, brown ones and mixed ones, but I'm convinced the pink ones taste best. Please send bacon from each so I may confirm my theory.

BrotherRockeye
08-30-2016, 02:24 AM
You seem to attract these kind of people or what.

:lol :FP2 :owned: