PDA

View Full Version : Schultz & Larsen m65 .308 Norma Magnum

Joshua13
09-21-2016, 09:10 PM
So I just inherited this beautiful gun. I took it all apart to clean it and noticed a few things. First I think its a custom trigger. Second at one point the stock was even better then it is now. So my questions are this: how would I go about adjusting this trigger and is there a way to refinish the stock without stripping it all and redoing it?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160922/b08f1d2d974e6291f46fbdbd9953c812.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160922/b53094dec0d30eee1af7459028febc89.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160922/0eb6b8e49ea57975dc3a7e5b54cd04df.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160922/4ee809f10b389dcb852cb2033db17688.jpg

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

TPK
09-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Quit tinkering and get shooting! Why do feel the need to refinish what looks like a perfectly fine stock? Also wondering what is wrong with the trigger that you want to adjust it? Seriously, just go shoot it for a while and then think about these things once you have some experience with the rifle. Chances are how it was setup before you got it is what works best.

BgBlkDg
09-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Good point, as in 58+ years of shooting, 52 years of gun ownership with about 150 rifles owned and many others loaded for and shot, I have found one thing to be true. IF, it ain't broke, DON'T "fix it".

I was 15 when the .308Norma, was introduced, wanted one from the get-go and finally had a minty FN "Musketeer" customized by Mitch Kendall and Terry L'Heureaux, a couple of years ago. It has a Bansner stock, Dakota 3-pos. safety and wears a Leupy Varix 3 .3.5x10x50 in steel mounts, combo of Weaver GS bases and Burris Z-rings.

I just finished load workup last Friday, tried Nossie E-tip 180s, AB 200s and my old fave, 200 Pts------Magpro in Norma brass over WLRM caps gives me 2875 from my Magnetospeed out of the 24" tube and about .75" groups at 100M........perfect and it kicks less than my beloved .338WM rifles and is now my "spare" to my Kimber MA .280AI for packing up hills on my elderly legs.

One point, be cautious in loading for your S&L as the rear-lugged action has some "give" to it and cases can stretch more than in Mauser type actions. Learn to headspace your rounds off the shoulder and not the belt.

Justice
09-25-2016, 11:10 AM
That stock doesn't need refinishing unless you want it darker. Then it's strip off the current finish, assuming it's not oil, stain and re-apply a finish. Suggest using pure tung oil.
Looks to me like the two nuts on the front may be how it's adjusted. However, without knowing for sure it's probable best to leave it alone. It's very similar to current Schultz & Larsen triggers that are not user adjustable.
http://schultzlarsen.com/product/victory-2/
There's an M65 DL manual here. Same as their current Sporting Rifle manual though. http://www.vaabensmeden.dk/noter/SL_manual.pdf
Your major issue will be finding ammo or brass. Nobody but Norma and No$ler loads it. Runs close to $100US per 20, Stateside. Bertram makes the brass and Shooter's Choice in Waterloo, Ont is a Bertram dealer, so they might be able to get some for you. Won't be cheap though. Runs $30US per 20, Stateside.
Epp's says they carry ammo. Try them too.

BgBlkDg
09-26-2016, 09:09 AM
I have used Tung Oil on a few stocks back in the '80s. One was a rather nice piece from the shop of the late Al Biesen, of Spokane, WA. He was a legendary gunmaker of the 1940s-present era and very famous.

My results were not really satisfactory and having used other gun-specific oil finishes, I finally found "Dem Bart" oil and wax. This, combined with an epoxy fill in the wood and complete glassing of all mortises, has given me the best wood finishes I have ever had. More work, more care in application, but, resists moisture very well.

That said, I would have a synthetic stock installed and never look back.

As to brass, the quick and cheap way is to just resize .300 Win. brass, very easy to do with just your .308Norma dieset and works very well.

If, like me, you are anal about your rifles-loads, the guy to get actual Norma brass from is "Mystic Precision" here in BC. He is on CGN, has done well on orders for me and 200 cases will last a lifetime.

Handloading for this is THE way to go, should get 2800 fps or more from a 24" tube with the 200 Nosler Pt. and what more do you need anywhere in Canada?

Magpro. RE-26, IMR-7828 are some powders to try and are easy to find.

Joshua13
09-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Yes it will be hand loads. I have 60 rnds (only 20 left) before I need to load my own.

Its tough to see in the pics but the coating on the stock is all cracked and wrinkled. It was bedded at one point, now the epoxy is all cracked. I would also like to free float the barrel, I think this was also don't cause it is just barely touching the stock.

Trigger is very sensitive, which I do like but not quite that much. Thanks for the input guys!

Crobar
09-30-2016, 10:28 PM
Are you certain that the barrel is not already free floated ?
Both Mod. 68 DLs that I had were free floated up to the chamber point of their respective barrels.

BgBlkDg
10-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Yes it will be hand loads. I have 60 rnds (only 20 left) before I need to load my own.

Its tough to see in the pics but the coating on the stock is all cracked and wrinkled. It was bedded at one point, now the epoxy is all cracked. I would also like to free float the barrel, I think this was also don't cause it is just barely touching the stock.

Trigger is very sensitive, which I do like but not quite that much. Thanks for the input guys!

Well, given the condition of that rifle as above and the stock pattern, which I find ungainly for general hunting where I live and hunt, I would definitely have a GOOD synthetic stock installed by a "pro" and the trigger adjusted so that it is not too light for use in cold weather and harsh terrain.

I recommend stocks by McMillan, Brown, MPI, Bansner and Wildcat, a Canadian maker. I have several rifles stocked with each of these makes plus some discontinued makes, except Wildcat, but, Stuart's stocks impress guys I know well who REALLY know their stuff.

Lighter, stronger, far more weather resistant and worth the cost for a serious hunting rifle. I actually won't hunt now with a wooden handle and I have some costly and stunning ones, but, all replaced with synthetics.

Depending where you live, there are good smiths available, many of the best here in BC and one is actually quite fast, Gary Flach, of Langley, BC.....and he KNOWS his stuff.