PDA

View Full Version : Which rifle should I step up to from a mosin Nagant sniper.

M39
09-22-2016, 03:11 PM
My current rifle is a mosin Nagant sniper. So what would be the obvious choice of rifle for accuracy? I was thinking Remington 700? For one it's a military rifle used in Vietnam! That's a plus for me I like history. Any other rifle in a decent price range? Another thing what do I need to do to the Remington?
Timmney trigger?
Bed the rifle?
Muzzle brake?
Most importantly which scope(budget price)?

Strewth
09-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Hmmm, sounds like you have an idea what you want, so...

So what would be the obvious choice of rifle for accuracy? I was thinking Remington 700? Sure? I like them, especially the 5R, given your comment on the military history?
Any other rifle in a decent price range? ...all of them? Weatherby, Winchester, Tikka (T3 on sale right now) Browning, Ruger...etc?
Another thing what do I need to do to the Remington? Try it stock to see what you like about it first, but...

Timmney trigger? Sure? I like them, have one in my Mosin:).

Bed the rifle? Never a bad idea?

Muzzle brake? Depends on the calibre and purpose intended?

Most importantly which scope(budget price)? Budget price? Bushnell fixed 10x. In Burris Signature rings.

zulu
09-22-2016, 06:34 PM
You can get super sniper if you contact them directly

Justice
09-23-2016, 10:27 AM
What's your budget including the sights? Think roughly 6 grand Canadian.
The only M700 model that's remotely related to any military is their M24 model. An M24 is rumoured to run 4 grand US and up. Would be a special order thing if it's even available here. 'Available here" means a Canadian distributor has one.
It's really just a heavy barreled M700. The 5R is as close as you can get. Still just a gussied up M700. Easy and inexpensive(I'm spending your money. snicker.) enough to do that yourself if you start with a heavy barreled M700.
"...Any other rifle..." Heavy barreled Win M70.
Do not even think about spending big money on a rifle then putting on a budge priced sight.

lone-wolf
09-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Basically my advice...
Get a rem700 sps tactical, get a good scope(I like nikons, the bushnell 10x is popular too), and buy a reloading setup - start reloading. Shoot shoot shoot shoot.
Then you'll know what you want to spend money on, without needing our advice.

Weren't winchesters used by the military too? I seem to recall a winchester with a loooong old school scope used by the military.