PDA

View Full Version : Any Conservation/Fish and Wildlife officers here?

FlyingHigh
10-08-2016, 02:21 PM
I'm looking for any conservation or fish and wildlife officers who would be willing to answer some questions regarding the education required for their jobs and any advice on the career path. Officers from across Canada are welcome but BC, AB, Sask, Yukon or NWT are the regions I'm most focused on.

Please PM me if you're willing to chat. :)

kennymo
10-08-2016, 03:18 PM
There's a training depot in The Pas, MB and another one somewhere out towards the East coast IIRC. Wife's cousin went through the course recently, I think it was three years, with summer off. He's had a heck of a time finding work though, the NDP cut back both the MB Conservation and Fisheries and Oceans (which the training also qualifies you for) with a machete.... He's currently working for the Sheriff's department up there. Decided he liked the up North lifestyle....

FlyingHigh
10-08-2016, 03:31 PM
There's a few different options out there for sure. I've found a couple interesting ones, but I need to know that committing 3 - 4 years of time and money will be worth it. If there's no jobs available, I may be better off doing something else. If I manage to get into a program within 2 years here, I'll be in my early 30's by the time I finish. I can't afford to waste my time.

kennymo
10-08-2016, 04:03 PM
I'd check out your local employment conditions first perhaps. He was only applying within Manitoba....not sure what the outlook is elsewhere.

FlyingHigh
10-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Yep, I'm looking into that as well. That's partly why I'm hoping to hear from any current officers who may be able to give me an accurate for future hiring prospects. :)

One thing that may work in my favour is that I'm willing to go to BC, AB, Sask, Yukon or NWT. I'm not really tied down.

Candychikita
10-09-2016, 12:05 AM
Hmm. There was a hiring freeze with the BC DFO last year and this year didn't seem much better for the fish culturists. The auxillary guys were doing the spring/summer at FFSBC and then fall/winter with the DFO, and the jobs at the DFO didn't happen. Couple of the fish culturists I know are still on the DFO waiting list, even with experience and prior aux positions with the DFO on their résumés.

Theres a program they all take at BCIT about wildlife management and or fisheries management. Then aux work any hatchery will do...not sure what the equivalent is for the wildlife section. They like biology backgrounds too. Then it's a waiting game and application process for each one of the openings. There's an exam. Make sure you put ALL of the locations you are willing to work, as it will open the pool up for you majorly. I'll see if I can grab you the full names of my DFO guys.

I'm not going to lie, some of the guys actually getting the regular positions are in their late 30s, and the pay isn't fabulous. There's a long time of temp/auxillary work to get there.

Something you might want to keep an eye on though is FFSBCs website, fish culturists. There are 6 locations in BC and there's quite a few people getting close to retirement age, I'd say within the next five years, ten years tops. Highlights of that job is catching all the fish for eggs, weeklong trips to egg stations, dropping off fish at locations (sometimes out of helicopters) Freshwater licenses are paid for, waders provided and full pension.

firemachine69
10-09-2016, 07:09 AM
I think the story is pretty much the same for anywhere in public service (regardless what Ezra Levant wants you to believe :)). The jobs are getting seriously fewer and farther in between in the public sector, with much longer (and uncertain) wait times.

Unless we're talking make-work desk-jockey positions, because those are certainly less demanding for certain workers... :rolleyes:

FlyingHigh
10-09-2016, 09:47 AM
Hmm. There was a hiring freeze with the BC DFO last year and this year didn't seem much better for the fish culturists. The auxillary guys were doing the spring/summer at FFSBC and then fall/winter with the DFO, and the jobs at the DFO didn't happen. Couple of the fish culturists I know are still on the DFO waiting list, even with experience and prior aux positions with the DFO on their résumés.

Theres a program they all take at BCIT about wildlife management and or fisheries management. Then aux work any hatchery will do...not sure what the equivalent is for the wildlife section. They like biology backgrounds too. Then it's a waiting game and application process for each one of the openings. There's an exam. Make sure you put ALL of the locations you are willing to work, as it will open the pool up for you majorly. I'll see if I can grab you the full names of my DFO guys.

I'm not going to lie, some of the guys actually getting the regular positions are in their late 30s, and the pay isn't fabulous. There's a long time of temp/auxillary work to get there.

Something you might want to keep an eye on though is FFSBCs website, fish culturists. There are 6 locations in BC and there's quite a few people getting close to retirement age, I'd say within the next five years, ten years tops. Highlights of that job is catching all the fish for eggs, weeklong trips to egg stations, dropping off fish at locations (sometimes out of helicopters) Freshwater licenses are paid for, waders provided and full pension.

Great info, thanks. I kinda figured it'd be like that, though I didn't know about the DFO hiring freeze. Last I heard, the BC Conservation service was under serious budget restrictions as well. I'd love to end up back in BC but I have a feeling if I pursue this career, it won't be there unfortunately. :(

I think the story is pretty much the same for anywhere in public service (regardless what Ezra Levant wants you to believe :)). The jobs are getting seriously fewer and farther in between in the public sector, with much longer (and uncertain) wait times.

Unless we're talking make-work desk-jockey positions, because those are certainly less demanding for certain workers... :rolleyes:

It's the same in the private sector here...zero stability, difficult to find work for a decent company, lower pay rates, piss poor benefits and shitty treatment.

I want something where I can have some stability, a regular paycheck, decent benefits and maybe actually do a job that means gives me some satisfaction.

firemachine69
10-10-2016, 06:23 AM
Great info, thanks. I kinda figured it'd be like that, though I didn't know about the DFO hiring freeze. Last I heard, the BC Conservation service was under serious budget restrictions as well. I'd love to end up back in BC but I have a feeling if I pursue this career, it won't be there unfortunately. :(

It's the same in the private sector here...zero stability, difficult to find work for a decent company, lower pay rates, piss poor benefits and shitty treatment.

I want something where I can have some stability, a regular paycheck, decent benefits and maybe actually do a job that means gives me some satisfaction.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you put Mr. Potatohead in charge. :(

FlyingHigh
10-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Yep. Hence why I'm looking into leeching off the system and going to school for a few years. Maybe I can ride out the worst of the bobble head's tenure...