PDA

View Full Version : M305 Flash hider thread size

MackenzieMountaineer
08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi I've got a new shorty M305 and would like to replace the factory flash hider with an aftermarket one, can anyone tell me the thread size for the barrel?

Satain
08-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Metric vs Imperial
1 of the guru's on here will tell you the excate size but as far as I know the only one that works is the SEI direct connect vortex.
https://iivpjq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pbrV34sPpyNj96Nj8QTJ9B4PgsZE502Va6yIihBSbolbzTlv P4STKOPdjD_b9Ng010w8OSE1CwqRIGszTJgcf-3I3Lh-VZ94w/IMG00752-20120705-1744.jpg?psid=1
Skullboy told me about this 1.

winchester94
08-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Man, I really like that stock!

MackenzieMountaineer
08-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks, btw that's one good lookin gun.

31-Bravo
08-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Where do you get that muzzle brake?
Why is it that there are no available muzzle devices for the M305, being such a popular rifle in Canada.
There are quite a few canadian accessories manufacturers that can easily fill this gap.

Satain
08-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Been tring to convince Dlask in making a universal adaptor for this rifle platform. As I got a great idea but don't have anyone with the skill to make it. So if you are a machinist out there and think you can do this contact me. As I don't really care about the $$$ as long as it get's made.

computermike
08-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Been tring to convince Dlask in making a universal adaptor for this rifle platform. As I got a great idea but don't have anyone with the skill to make it. So if you are a machinist out there and think you can do this contact me. As I don't really care about the $$$ as long as it get's made.

Something like this?

http://www.deltapdesign.com/accessories-store/m14-muzzle-adapter

or are you thinking of something else entirely?

Satain
08-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Something like this?

http://www.deltapdesign.com/accessories-store/m14-muzzle-adapter

or are you thinking of something else entirely?
Completley different. Imangine being able to use any muzzle deviece bored out to 308 on your rig with out the need of a castle nut. Wouldn't matter if it was a Nork barrel or a USGI as it would work on all design's and you could slap it on once and be able to change your muzzle deviece mutiple time's with out ever the need of removing it. ;)

Rocket Surgery
08-15-2012, 01:34 PM
That would be seriously badass, a barrel adaptor. Can I steal your idea and market it as my own? I'll call it the "M305DOCTOR PROPELLANT DISTRIBUTOR"

Haha I'm going to be rich, b!tches

Rocket Surgery
08-15-2012, 04:02 PM
forgot to call it TACTICAL EDITION, but add that in there

JustBen
08-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Completley different. Imangine being able to use any muzzle deviece bored out to 308 on your rig with out the need of a castle nut. Wouldn't matter if it was a Nork barrel or a USGI as it would work on all design's and you could slap it on once and be able to change your muzzle deviece mutiple time's with out ever the need of removing it. ;)

Like a quick change air coupler sort of idea?

Satain
08-15-2012, 09:39 PM
LOL!!!
RS...
http://api.ning.com/files/4MfFcCtEhmXz26xhozs6NRkWBR7P7J44Z5PIDT89LliMDSAZIZ hpigb6MCDRTrJUKpi1BJ72lAhF8fAuryJpAQ__/u_rock_uk.jpg

Like a quick change air coupler sort of idea?
No cause if you use a muzzle brake it could cause issues due to the fact of the back preasure caused from the muzzle brake.

Greenman
08-31-2014, 12:39 PM
I wanna know what the thread size is as well

blacksmithden
08-31-2014, 01:53 PM

Send me a PM...maybe a drawing of what you've got in mind and I'll let you know if it's something I can pull off with what I have.

As far as the M305 thread size and pitch....no idea....don't have one to measure. The most common muzzle thread size/pitch on earth is 1/2-28 though.

mtlgun
08-31-2014, 03:06 PM
There's only one way to know what thread your Norc came with, and that's to measure it with a thread pitch gauge. I asked this exact question to Tactical Teacher ( aka Hungry ). The best answer he could give me was: '' it depends on the day/minute/person who did the job ''.

In a normal circumstance a fabricator will ' spec ' every dimension and it shouldn't matter which employee is doing the build, they should all be technically identical even if they are different dimensionally to a certain degree. In Norc's case though this is less of a guarantee.

There seems to be a general level of commonality in most batches. And some batches share very similar characteristics to other batches. But, there is no guarantee that a Norc from January will be able to interchange parts with one from March, and more so from 2010 to 2014.

What I suspect TT is seeing from doing his many classes are QC flaws more than genuine variances. Threading can be a tricky operation. If someone doesn't countersink or does a crappy job of it, it can seem like the threads are incompatible or stripped when in fact it's just a case of improper starter threading. The other thing is that threading is measured in 3 grades. Grade 1, worst ( Canadian Tire spec ) you'll have fit problems even with loctite. You can tell poor threading when the nut or part will rock or wiggle even after 4 or 5 turns. Grade 2 is what most people aim for ( @ 75% thread ). This thread will serve 90% of most uses even without locking compound. Grade 3 is mostly for high end aerospace and critical fit stuff. While it's technically the best it's also a huge pain because it can be incompatible with the other 2 and even have issues working with other Grade 3 stuff if from a different vendor. Thus without strict QC you can have different people producing the same stuff but with totally different results that render them much less than compatible.

I was actually thinking of asking Jwire if I could run a contest with this exact question in order to try to build a larger data base of info than just the 3 Norc's I have access to. If I'm lucky I should have my first batch of proto's in 2 weeks. If not by end of September. After that it depends on how far out of spec your Norc is as to whether they'll work or not.

Greenman
08-31-2014, 03:59 PM
There's only one way to know what thread your Norc came with, and that's to measure it with a thread pitch gauge. I asked this exact question to Tactical Teacher ( aka Hungry ). The best answer he could give me was: '' it depends on the day/minute/person who did the job ''.

In a normal circumstance a fabricator will ' spec ' every dimension and it shouldn't matter which employee is doing the build, they should all be technically identical even if they are different dimensionally to a certain degree. In Norc's case though this is less of a guarantee.

There seems to be a general level of commonality in most batches. And some batches share very similar characteristics to other batches. But, there is no guarantee that a Norc from January will be able to interchange parts with one from March, and more so from 2010 to 2014.

What I suspect TT is seeing from doing his many classes are QC flaws more than genuine variances. Threading can be a tricky operation. If someone doesn't countersink or does a crappy job of it, it can seem like the threads are incompatible or stripped when in fact it's just a case of improper starter threading. The other thing is that threading is measured in 3 grades. Grade 1, worst ( Canadian Tire spec ) you'll have fit problems even with loctite. You can tell poor threading when the nut or part will rock or wiggle even after 4 or 5 turns. Grade 2 is what most people aim for ( @ 75% thread ). This thread will serve 90% of most uses even without locking compound. Grade 3 is mostly for high end aerospace and critical fit stuff. While it's technically the best it's also a huge pain because it can be incompatible with the other 2 and even have issues working with other Grade 3 stuff if from a different vendor. Thus without strict QC you can have different people producing the same stuff but with totally different results that render them much less than compatible.

I was actually thinking of asking Jwire if I could run a contest with this exact question in order to try to build a larger data base of info than just the 3 Norc's I have access to. If I'm lucky I should have my first batch of proto's in 2 weeks. If not by end of September. After that it depends on how far out of spec your Norc is as to whether they'll work or not.

One day I will have spent enough to have all the tools I need ...Cheers

mtlgun
08-31-2014, 05:38 PM
One day I will have spent enough to have all the tools I need ...Cheers

No, trust me you wont.

As a certified tool whore I thought I was almost done a few years back. My current shopping list goes over 15k just for the bare minimum to set up my in progress shop with another lathe, vertical & horizontal mills, and tooling. I should have gotten hooked on cocaine. I think it would be cheaper in the long run.

jt_trouble
09-05-2014, 08:53 PM
I googled this myself and got onto the Practical Machinist forum. One of the posts I read say the Norinco M305 had a thread pitch of M15x0.75 but nothing on the Polytec versions

I.C.R.
09-06-2014, 02:08 AM
I googled this myself and got onto the Practical Machinist forum. One of the posts I read say the Norinco M305 had a thread pitch of M15x0.75 but nothing on the Polytec versions

if it is the castlenut thread , they will be the same norc vs poly , they all come from the same machines.
Ron Smith at smith enterprise will know for sure if anyone wants to email him. but, M15x0.75 sounds right to me

grizzlyger
02-02-2015, 03:42 PM
If you want to make brakes for these guns the thread is M15X0.75. Taps are available from RDG Tools in the UK. I got this off of another website for gunsmiths as well as a picture of a handy tool for pulling welded on flash hiders. If I can find someone in Calgary to help me I will eventually get it made so as not to damage the rifle. The thought of taking a piece of heavy bar and smacking it off scares the hell out of me.

6MT
02-03-2015, 09:03 PM