PDA

View Full Version : First Garand Build

Spectre
10-20-2016, 03:31 PM
I picked up a few of the SFRC receivers back when they were on sale, and ordered up a Garand Guy kit from Aztech. I figured with the extra time on my hands (read - unemployed) I'd give a Garand build a go. It was fairly painless, and went together well. Barrel timing was not as bad as I was expecting, and with the right tools pretty basic.

My one screw up was not ordering a handle/extension for my pull through reamer :(. Anyone in the Calgary area have one they could lend me to finish this one off?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/specter001/20161020_140006_zpsgvxrlmpc.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/specter001/media/20161020_140006_zpsgvxrlmpc.jpg.html)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/specter001/20161020_135845_zpszssedaow_1.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/specter001/media/20161020_135845_zpszssedaow_1.jpg.html)

lone-wolf
10-20-2016, 03:36 PM
I REALLY love that stock

Ohno
10-20-2016, 04:37 PM
Very nice looking build.

kennymo
10-20-2016, 04:42 PM
Man, if I had the cash kicking around for one of those kits I know exactly what I'd be doing this winter....

Spectre
10-20-2016, 05:25 PM
Man, if I had the cash kicking around for one of those kits I know exactly what I'd be doing this winter....

Not cheap, but worth it IMHO. I'm glad I made the leap when I had the dough. I am guessing at maybe an hour or so to complete the chamber, and a few hours to do the rest of the build - really quite quick if you think about it; especially for first timer. I've been banging out ARs for a few years now, and this was a bit of a change, but not too crazy. If anyone is interested in the DIY thing, and is in the area, I have an barrel/receiver indexing set, barrel vice, 30-06 Clymer go no-go gauges, finishing reamer and action wrench specific to the M1 Garand. let me know if I can help out.

Squinty
10-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Not cheap, but worth it IMHO. I'm glad I made the leap when I had the dough. I am guessing at maybe an hour or so to complete the chamber, and a few hours to do the rest of the build - really quite quick if you think about it; especially for first timer. I've been banging out ARs for a few years now, and this was a bit of a change, but not too crazy. If anyone is interested in the DIY thing, and is in the area, I have an barrel/receiver indexing set, barrel vice, 30-06 Clymer go no-go gauges, finishing reamer and action wrench specific to the M1 Garand. let me know if I can help out.

This is what I like to hear. Would you like to come over and share a steak with my bulldog,

Spectre
10-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Hell yeah!, but my Shiba Inu needs one as well... :gun1

FALover
10-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Nice looking build! Now you have to get the next one going,and another,and another......................!

If you are stuck for an extension for the reamer, pm me and I can set you up.

p.s. it takes longer to get everything ready than to do the finish reaming.
p.p.s. use lots of sulfur based cutting oil, it's cheap at most automotive supply shops.

Spectre
10-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Well, is my face red :red:.

After digging out the reamer (plus another one for 762X39) I ordered months back, I find that I ordered "finishing reamers", not PULL THROUGH finishing reamers :smash::smash::smash:. Rookie mistake :frown1:, but live and learn I guess. Looks like the build is on hold until I sell off what I mistakenly ordered and get the right one.

Mark-II
10-22-2016, 09:45 AM
That's the stock that comes with the kit? Seriously nice.

I'd like to jump on one of those kits myself, but for that I'd have to find someone to ship the receiver barrel and bolt off to to install and set up. Even if I had the tools, I'm the sort who would manage to arse it up.

FALover
10-22-2016, 11:22 AM
That's the stock that comes with the kit? Seriously nice.

I'd like to jump on one of those kits myself, but for that I'd have to find someone to ship the receiver barrel and bolt off to to install and set up. Even if I had the tools, I'm the sort who would manage to arse it up.

I have built up dozens of Garands and they are much simpler than you think. And I am a master of cocking things up!

Petamocto
10-22-2016, 12:55 PM
For those of you liking that stock, Marshall at Aztech has options that put all new stuff on old Garand actions.

I just ordered a full build off him for $1300 US, built at Springfield in 1943. Only needs a new adjustable gas plug to run normal 30.06 ammo. Talk to Marshall if you want to get the whole thing at once.