PDA

View Full Version : Mosin caliber conversion

44hotrod
11-19-2016, 09:29 PM
I have an old mosin with a barrel that is no good. I found a company that will make any barrel you want and I hand load and have a ton of 30-30 brass. So I was thinking.. Has anyone or does anyone have any info on the subject of 7.62x54R to 30-30?

Justice
11-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Trick will be finding a .308" barrel in Canada. ITAR rules if your barrel maker is Stateside. No exports without the daft State Dept. permit. And the maker is required to have the U.S. Commerce Dept.'s exporter's licence.
He'll need 60 degree 16 TPI for the shank. At least it's not metric. Numbers are here. http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSpec.htm
Plus the difference in OAL and the bolt face. The 7.62 x 54 has a tapered rim. The .30-30 does not.
The difference in OAL of nearly a half inch(.487") is mostly about the mag. Max OAL for the .30-30 is 2.550". 3.037" for the Russian. Probably need a different follower too.

44hotrod
11-21-2016, 07:22 PM
I found a company in Canada willing to make the barrel. Thanks so much for the info!

Haywire1
11-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Lots of barrel companies ship to canada without any itar issues. There is actually 2 issues with converting a mosin, any gunsmith will headspace and rechamber etc, the patered rim has squat to do with anything.

Issue number one is the difference in cartridge length, and rim diameter. Spacer can be used in the rear of the mag to make up the length difference etc.

Second issue is mosin are well known for the reciever cracking when barrels are removed. Its a basically dont remove the barrel deal.

Overcoming that, a barrel will run you between $500 (bob jury) and up. Machining and chambering and install, another $250 and up, assuming you can find a smith willing to do the job. So you'll be into your $250 mosin for three times the cost of it. If your dead set on a bolt action 30-30, look on he ee at cgn, buy a savage 340 for 3-400 and done. Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, I am sort of k own for my lipstick on a pig projects, but even I wont bother rebarreling a mosin.