PDA

View Full Version : Headspace Measure

3MTA3
08-18-2012, 04:32 AM
Is there any way I can measure the Headspace of my M14, without buying a gauge?

chalkriver
08-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Send Hungry a few of your fired casings and he will get back to you .

computermike
08-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Send Hungry a few of your fired casings and he will get back to you .

hungry556(AT)rogers.com

Do Hungry a favor and don't post his email complete. I edited it in the quote. Spam bots troll the internet looking for email addresses and he will get on 1 million different spam lists.

Garetsu
08-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Do Hungry a favor and don't post his email complete. I edited it in the quote. Spam bots troll the internet looking for email addresses and he will get on 1 million different spam lists.

All these forums are private until you register, so, it's some level of security against that, at least!

chalkriver
08-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Never thought of that as he puts it out there as well as his website address.

I edited it out anyhow

Haywire1
08-18-2012, 06:26 PM
the mods are discussing it, and will let us know, that way we are all on the same page. :D

computermike
08-18-2012, 07:35 PM
All these forums are private until you register, so, it's some level of security against that, at least!

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. If you aren't a member you don't see jack. I just twitch whenever I see email a addresses posted. Side effect of my day job.

Rory McCanuck
08-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Anywhooo,
Take a fired case and push the primer out.
Restart the primer into the primer pocket.
Chamber the case, close the bolt.
The bolt will push the primer in, and the distance it protrudes above the case head
gives you how much headspace you have, measured against a diameter on the taper
of the shoulder.

Satain
08-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Anywhooo,
Take a fired case and push the primer out.
Restart the primer into the primer pocket.
Chamber the case, close the bolt.
The bolt will push the primer in, and the distance it protrudes above the case head
gives you how much headspace you have, measured against a diameter on the taper
of the shoulder.
Fire forming is good for bolt's but in semi's I don't think I would recomend anything but a full length case sizing every time just to be safe. That is unless you shoot your semi's real slow or you reloaded for years and know to take atleast 2 thou back everytime you resize.

I.C.R.
08-21-2012, 12:32 AM
don't dick around hehehe it might fall off :D
buy a precision mic like Hungry and other reloaders use to measure fired brass consistancy
or purchase a set of headspace guages
or send your brass to someone who volunteers to mic it.

pushing a fired case back into the chamber on a M14..... will only get you a stuck case ..... then you'll need to ram it out...... :D

mlehto
08-21-2012, 05:48 AM
the mods are discussing it, and will let us know, that way we are all on the same page. :D

For the most part I agree that posting an email address of a member, or anyone for that matter is not a good idea. We do get spam bots attacking us quite a bit, although we do our best to make sure it doesn't affect members.

In the case of Hungry's email, it is a pretty well known address, and pretty much a business for him anyways so that is how we have decided to treat his email address.

Cheers,
mlehto

Rory McCanuck
08-21-2012, 12:06 PM
pushing a fired case back into the chamber on a M14..... will only get you a stuck case ..... then you'll need to ram it out...... :D

???Why would you have a stuck case?
The extractor pulled it out fine last time.....

RobSmith
08-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Semis always seem to do that to fired cases. Seems that during most of the extration process there is <just> enough pressure left to expand the case walls, the result is if you try to chamber an empty you get a jam. Every semi I ever tried to use empties to function check has been doing that and once it gets jammed up in there you need to pound the charging handle with a hammer to get it back out.

???Why would you have a stuck case?
The extractor pulled it out fine last time.....

3MTA3
08-21-2012, 07:11 PM
I have read one article suggesting neck sizing only is possible depending on the rifle-But suggests testing the fired brass for fit first. I tested a fired case and it seemed to go in and out pretty easy but I don't know if I could assume this would always be the case . I know Zeideker suggests always FL sizing for a max of 4 firings with a small base die.

Hungry
08-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks all of you for the heads up about the email address issue. I have since corrected it on my website: www.m14hungry.com

Send me 3 fired cases.. that's it. And I can email or PM you back your dimensions. You still interested?

Cheers,
Barney

Ryvax
03-26-2013, 11:17 AM
What do you use to measure the casings? Is it just a micrometer?

Skeetgunner
03-26-2013, 02:05 PM
What do you use to measure the casings? Is it just a micrometer?

Typically an RCBS headspace gauge, which has a micrometer scale on it, but is not a standard micrometer.