PDA

View Full Version : old barrel damage and high velocity .22 LR

libraryguy
11-27-2016, 06:24 PM
Hi,

I was given an old Cooey 60 bolt action .22 cal. rifle. It has stayed in a safe for at least 20 years, if not 30, before it was given to me. I don't know exactly how old it is, but it beeing a cooey and by the looks it has, I am almost certain it was made prior to 1960. probably somewhere in the 1940's. When I got it it was fairly rusted on the exterior, so I did my first sanding/bluing job ever on the barrel. It turned out way less ugly than what I expected, considering I applied 3 layers of the canadian-tire quality blue I managed to find.

After firing about 150 rounds of Winchester wildcat 40gr. 22LR high-velocity through it, I noticed a white discoloration around the crown of the barrel. It seemed unusual to me. The discoloration has a shape that reminds vaguely of a sun, having «branches» spiking away from the center of the barrel at regular intervals. (It is best shown in the picture.)

I am now a little worried. Are these marks just the cheap blue wearing off because of the heat? And if so, why the ''sun'' shape of it?

Or could it be that this 50 to 70 years old barrel is simply not made to endure high-velocity ammo? Could it be dangerous?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't plan on firing this rifle before it is inspected by a gunsmith, but I want to know if it is worth the gas to get there or if I should dispose of it/render it non-functioning right now. (In full compliance with the law of course).

Thanks again for your time and answers.

kennymo
11-27-2016, 06:41 PM
'High velocity' .22 lr is still really low pressure stuff. No worries so far as danger is concerned. Does the 'sun' pattern match the shape of the lands and grooves in the rifling? I wouldn't worry about that too much either, I've got a Savage single shot with a similar looking muzzle. And our Winchester branded Cooey of the same model has been spitting out all manner of .22 fodder, high velocity, standard, shorts, you name it...

LB303
11-27-2016, 07:51 PM
How accurate is it? Looks like you may have some lead buildup, but if it makes acceptable groups...

Rory McCanuck
11-27-2016, 10:18 PM
That just looks like crud getting blown out of the rifling.
Crud as in lead, old oil, solidified WD-40, dust bunnies and cobwebs.
If it is shooing halfways accurately, I wouldn't worry about it.
Certainly not worth a trip to the 'smith.

libraryguy
11-27-2016, 11:00 PM
Thanks to all!

I never really tested it for groups, but it is good enough for the cans at 20-30 yards. For a canadian tire quality rifle that could be three times my age, not so bad.

Noob question: should I use anything in particular to get rid of that buildup other than hoppe's n.9?

thanks again!

blacksmithden
11-28-2016, 12:00 AM
It's all good. My old Lakefield 64 semi auto did the same thing after it sat unfired for about 15 years. Run a brush down there with some Hopps #9 bore cleaner and a few patches to mop out the goop...then one with oil on it. Good as new...well...maybe new is the wrong word, but good enough. :)

Justice
11-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Looks like the 'frosting' coming out. Frosting is the beginning of rust, Like blacksmithden says, a bath will do.

riven
12-04-2016, 10:13 PM
My 10/22 leaves the same sun/star shape but normally a gull grey. Its normal powder burn as far as i know. Just keep it clean and you will be fine.

kennymo
12-04-2016, 10:25 PM
My 10/22 leaves the same sun/star shape but normally a gull grey. Its normal powder burn as far as i know. Just keep it clean and you will be fine.

Yeah, I've got a similar pattern on several .22's that purchased new, not a speck of corrosion anywhere. Just some combination of burnt powder, lead and gun oil....

Mark-II
12-05-2016, 07:44 AM
I had a single shot savage schutzen style rifle when I was a kid. One day it stopped working. I had a look and the locking surface, which is the bit of receiver behind the bolt, the bolt handle being the lug, was cracked clear through and deformed.

I wonder how that managed to happen