PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the war that went on, on Facebook? CCFR?

Facepalm
12-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Seems a Member was upset because he was told Calibre wasn't allowed to post in the CCFR section.

Anyone know more details, All I saw was the infighting and insults.

Rory McCanuck
12-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Yeah.
I'm embarrassed that some people are lumped into the group 'gun owners'.

Pizzed
12-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Screen captures?

lone-wolf
12-01-2016, 07:37 PM
All I saw was the infighting and insults.

Welcome to facebook

Facepalm
12-01-2016, 07:55 PM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15284050_10211164508690488_4814524351009412945_n.j pg?oh=09fa659de56121005d54aada0f5cd57b&oe=58AFB484
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15192766_10211164508730489_8837694903981828277_n.j pg?oh=bc28d0b35d0074ffea0c2e331985e440&oe=58C9CA5D

That's what they what Started all of it

Dewey Cox
12-01-2016, 09:13 PM
For fox sakes guys.
Can we try to make it a year without drama in a gun group?

tigrr
12-02-2016, 01:10 AM
Is this the same group that wants you to have a training course for each firearm type. Fills their pockets nicely.
Policy:

The CCFR believes that the single biggest contributor to public safety in firearms use is training and education. As such, the CCFR supports mandatory firearms safety training for each type of firearm. The CCFR believes such training must have two components: (a) a theoretical or classroom component and (b) a practical handling and dry-firing component. Both components ought to end with a test (a written and a practical).

Won't see a dime of my money.

FALover
12-02-2016, 01:57 AM
Shyt like this make me :mad1: , :confused1: and :( . The firearms fraternity could not organize a pissup in a brewery .

Doug_M
12-02-2016, 06:21 AM
I belong to the CCFR because I want to support Rod's efforts of public education. I stopped visiting the CCFR FaceBook page a long time ago because...well same reason I don't visit CGN anymore.

Facepalm
12-02-2016, 07:39 AM
I'm read some more this morning and Very disgusted, not by the comments but some of the revelations.

Anyone affiliated with CCFR are stating tell them to buy a membership (business) and then he can post (kind disappointing that the org only cares about money)

But the owner, Dan F of Calibre (i think i got that right) said he has tried 3 times.

Something is fishy here with the CCFR.

Petamocto
12-02-2016, 07:54 AM
I couldn't even focus on the content of those screen captures because I was distracted by the amount of your/you're violations.

3MTA3
12-02-2016, 08:46 AM
you'd nailed it.

I am not sureI will support them anymore, and perhaps focus only on the CSSA. They seem to be a little elitest in my personal interactions with them, and for sure I don't support all of the policies ( I can deal with that but,). Seems like some have an in with them or something.
The deal with claiming that OFAH membership was not required to hunt in some hunting areas was wrong, and made me start to wonder (Simcoe County Forest?).

Deuce-deuce
12-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Well that's just great... If you guys don't sent them money who's going to pay for the pukka shells and club shirts, hmmmm?

TPK
12-02-2016, 10:36 AM
I don't see their point, the CFSC already coves the five basic actions with the test already having both a written and practical component. Why are they wanting to add on to that? The CFSC has a proven track record, I see it as an "It aint broke, so nothing to fix." scenario. However, if they truly feel the CFSC/CRFSC needs inprovement, they need to talk to the various Instructor groups (IOFSA etc.), individual instructors, and the CFO. If the instructors don't see a need or the value of what they are proposing ... they are dead in the water.

Anyad Pitchaya
12-02-2016, 10:49 AM
Gun owners are their own worst enemy...far more so than Wendy, Heidi, and JT.

Calibre
12-02-2016, 11:07 AM
I'm read some more this morning and Very disgusted, not by the comments but some of the revelations.

Anyone affiliated with CCFR are stating tell them to buy a membership (business) and then he can post (kind disappointing that the org only cares about money)

But the owner, Dan F of Calibre (i think i got that right) said he has tried 3 times.

Something is fishy here with the CCFR.

I'll try and keep this short.

Almost exactly a year ago I wrote an editorial in my post-election stupor asking everyone to join the CSSA. I've since repeated that call at least once. Due to this, and the simple fact that a CSSA membership includes a subscription to Calibre, it caused some within the CCFR to think (totally understandably) that Calibre is a) the CSSA, and b) not supportive of multiple orgs.

Now, Calibre is not the CSSA. It's a private company I own. We have a program where discounted subscriptions are made available to gun clubs and organizations and the CSSA takes advantage of this. But Calibre is not beholden or run by the CSSA any more than we're run by the Abbotsford Fish and Game Club (who also takes advantage of this program). Furthermore, we don't really make any money off this program; we simply run it to provide gun clubs with a value-added and an additional communication method to keep their members engaged. Plus, in my altruistic brain, I like to think that more gun owners getting the magazine might lead to more gun owners being kept aware of issues like the Ruger mag ban... which is exactly why I blew a page in the previous issue to run a Ruger mag PSA.

Likewise, we are supportive of the idea of multiple orgs; they have them in the USA and they can provide a real benefit in many ways. But, I do stand by the notion that within the landscape of gun orgs in Canada, we need one singular large org and the CSSA simple has a head start on that. As I said last year, we're probably going to face some anti-gun bullshit from the government soon, and we need a large representative force now. Ideally, every gun owner would belong to one org, and some would belong to the other orgs that they feel meet their personal needs. I myself belong to multiple orgs.

I discussed all this with Rod at lunch about a month ago, after I was told by one of our guys (CJ Summers) that the CCFR had informed him that he wasn't allowed to post on their social media outlets, and I was confident that he and I had reached an understanding. I offered to buy a business membership not because I thought it should be mandatory in order to have our content not get deleted off their pages but rather as a sort of olive branch to put my money where my mouth was and throw them some support. Coincidentally, we also covered Tracey's efforts at the CPC debate on our own social media. I followed up with the CCFR a couple times about the membership but never heard from the actual guy in charge of such things so it never happened. Then another print deadline came along, and I got super busy, I didn’t really have time to think about it much. Such is life.

Fast forward to yesterday: CJ, one of our contributors that focuses on political coverage and our own pro-gun efforts (the guy formerly from Metro newspaper that helped us get that big piece put together) has been interviewing the CPC leadership candidates to ascertain their stance towards gun owners. He's been doing the interviews, posting them to his own FB page, and usually about a day later I finally get my slow ass around to uploading them to the Calibre website and sharing through our formal Calibre social media feeds. A couple days ago he put his Steven Blaney interview up on his FB page.

A CCFR member chose to share this note, from CJ's facebook page, on the CCFR group page. It lasted about a day, and then was deleted, leading to a couple guys asking where it went. Obviously the screenshot explains what happened. One CCFR member got pretty angry about the deletion and voiced his displeasure on FB… and that’s what you saw yesterday.

RangeBob
12-02-2016, 11:13 AM
CJ, one of our contributors that focuses on political coverage and our own pro-gun efforts (the guy formerly from Metro newspaper that helped us get that big piece put together) has been interviewing the CPC leadership candidates to ascertain their stance towards gun owners. He's been doing the interviews, posting them to his own FB page, and usually about a day later I finally get my slow ass around to uploading them to the Calibre website and sharing through our formal Calibre social media feeds. A couple days ago he put his Steven Blaney interview up on his FB page.

Those are also at CGN.

Meet the Candidates: Brad Trost [1 of 12]
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1484160-CalibreMag-Meet-the-Candidates-Brad-Trost-1-of-12

Meet the Candidates - Chris Alexander [2 of 12]
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1487519-Meet-the-Candidates-Chris-Alexander-2-of-12

Meet the Candidates - Steven Blaney [3 of 12]
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1488466-Meet-the-Candidates-Steven-Blaney-3-of-12

That's all of them thus far

triq
12-02-2016, 11:19 AM
I'll try and keep this short.

Almost exactly a year ago I wrote an editorial in my post-election stupor asking everyone to join the CSSA. I've since repeated that call at least once. Due to this, and the simple fact that a CSSA membership includes a subscription to Calibre, it caused some within the CCFR to think (totally understandably) that Calibre is a) the CSSA, and b) not supportive of multiple orgs.

Now, Calibre is not the CSSA. It's a private company I own. We have a program where discounted subscriptions are made available to gun clubs and organizations and the CSSA takes advantage of this. But Calibre is not beholden or run by the CSSA any more than we're run by the Abbotsford Fish and Game Club (who also takes advantage of this program). Furthermore, we don't really make any money off this program; we simply run it to provide gun clubs with a value-added and an additional communication method to keep their members engaged. Plus, in my altruistic brain, I like to think that more gun owners getting the magazine might lead to more gun owners being kept aware of issues like the Ruger mag ban... which is exactly why I blew a page in the previous issue to run a Ruger mag PSA.

Likewise, we are supportive of the idea of multiple orgs; they have them in the USA and they can provide a real benefit in many ways. But, I do stand by the notion that within the landscape of gun orgs in Canada, we need one singular large org and the CSSA simple has a head start on that. As I said last year, we're probably going to face some anti-gun bullshit from the government soon, and we need a large representative force now. Ideally, every gun owner would belong to one org, and some would belong to the other orgs that they feel meet their personal needs. I myself belong to multiple orgs.

I discussed all this with Rod at lunch about a month ago, after I was told by one of our guys (CJ Summers) that the CCFR had informed him that he wasn't allowed to post on their social media outlets, and I was confident that he and I had reached an understanding. I offered to buy a business membership not because I thought it should be mandatory in order to have our content not get deleted off their pages but rather as a sort of olive branch to put my money where my mouth was and throw them some support. Coincidentally, we also covered Tracey's efforts at the CPC debate on our own social media. I followed up with the CCFR a couple times about the membership but never heard from the actual guy in charge of such things so it never happened. Then another print deadline came along, and I got super busy, I didn’t really have time to think about it much. Such is life.

Fast forward to yesterday: CJ, one of our contributors that focuses on political coverage and our own pro-gun efforts (the guy formerly from Metro newspaper that helped us get that big piece put together) has been interviewing the CPC leadership candidates to ascertain their stance towards gun owners. He's been doing the interviews, posting them to his own FB page, and usually about a day later I finally get my slow ass around to uploading them to the Calibre website and sharing through our formal Calibre social media feeds. A couple days ago he put his Steven Blaney interview up on his FB page.

A CCFR member chose to share this note, from CJ's facebook page, on the CCFR group page. It lasted about a day, and then was deleted, leading to a couple guys asking where it went. Obviously the screenshot explains what happened. One CCFR member got pretty angry about the deletion and voiced his displeasure on FB… and that’s what you saw yesterday.
Thank you for this clarification. I always look forward to calibre magazine arriving via snail mail as part of my cssa membership.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Calibre
12-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Thank you for this clarification. I always look forward to calibre magazine arriving via snail mail as part of my cssa membership.

No problem and thanks for the kind words! I hope you like the current issue; it should arrive shortly...

triq
12-02-2016, 11:37 AM
No problem and thanks for the kind words! I hope you like the current issue; it should arrive shortly...
I am already salivating . Cheers .

Petamocto
12-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Damn, what this forum needs is a CCFR rep who could be a liaison officer to smooth out these sorts of things.

One of my parting bits of advice when I left was that I still supported them, but they really needed to fill the GOC gap they'd be creating.

I still support them (mostly because of Rod personally, who has been and remains the best face of Canadian gun owners), but unfortunately he does not call all the shots there.

CivilAdvantage
12-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Thanks for posting this Dan. I've been taking a course that takes most people 6 to 12 months and I'm trying to complete it in 3 months. All this and I have to work, run the YouTube channel (not so well lately) and do the CCFR thing (big project coming out in a couple of weeks). I literally can't drop everything to answer the demands of someone exploding on social media. I won't be as available as I was till February.

Dan's assessment is correct. We met a few weeks ago and chatted about this. We have had a good relationship (For about 2-3 years now) so nothing has changed there. I haven't had the time to work through passing on our discussion to all who needed to hear about it at the CCFR, especially since there didn't appear to be a problem. So now we have a social media detonation creating an enormous conspiracy and people willing to take sides in an online war of gun orgs and Facebook groups. It's not the first nor will it be the last. We are occupied with our advocacy projects and don't spend a lot of time getting involved in these types of situations so hopefully between Dan's post and this one we can move on and get back to what's important.

Thanks again for taking the time Dan.

Rod.

kennymo
12-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Holy crap, adults!

Coke
12-02-2016, 06:41 PM
Thank you Dan and Rod for letting us know what's going on. That's the worst part of these things with social media, and everybody being able to espouse their opinions at lightning speed but not checking for facts.

I appreciate the effort you guys put in, to help the firearms community. Cheers...

lone-wolf
12-02-2016, 09:35 PM
CJ, one of our contributors that focuses on political coverage and our own pro-gun efforts (the guy formerly from Metro newspaper that helped us get that big piece put together) has been interviewing the CPC leadership candidates to ascertain their stance towards gun owners. He's been doing the interviews, posting them to his own FB page, and usually about a day later I finally get my slow ass around to uploading them to the Calibre website and sharing through our formal Calibre social media feeds.
Big thumbs up to him for doing that

Facepalm
12-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks for posting this Dan. I've been taking a course that takes most people 6 to 12 months and I'm trying to complete it in 3 months. All this and I have to work, run the YouTube channel (not so well lately) and do the CCFR thing (big project coming out in a couple of weeks). I literally can't drop everything to answer the demands of someone exploding on social media. I won't be as available as I was till February.

Dan's assessment is correct. We met a few weeks ago and chatted about this. We have had a good relationship (For about 2-3 years now) so nothing has changed there. I haven't had the time to work through passing on our discussion to all who needed to hear about it at the CCFR, especially since there didn't appear to be a problem. So now we have a social media detonation creating an enormous conspiracy and people willing to take sides in an online war of gun orgs and Facebook groups. It's not the first nor will it be the last. We are occupied with our advocacy projects and don't spend a lot of time getting involved in these types of situations so hopefully between Dan's post and this one we can move on and get back to what's important.

Thanks again for taking the time Dan.

Rod.

OK, I guess that you and Dan are all good, but I guess the question still remains, can CJ summers and Calibre post in the CCFR group?

That was the original question?? Or did I miss a part in Dan's and Rod's posts.

Anyad Pitchaya
12-03-2016, 11:02 AM
OK, I guess that you and Dan are all good, but I guess the question still remains, can CJ summers and Calibre post in the CCFR group?

That was the original question?? Or did I miss a part in Dan's and Rod's posts.

The only thing you missed is let's move on.

terger
01-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Meh