PDA

View Full Version : Road kill café

mavrik9
12-02-2016, 08:38 PM
So I have been removing road kill from the local highways for about 5years now as part of my job. I have often thought about keeping some of my finds, but couldn't justify the taxidermy costs. Well this week I removed a 6 pt. Muel deer that is bigger than the 8 pt. that was severely damaged a few weeks ago. So I decided to salvage the head and do a skull mount with it. Fish and feathers was very decent to deal with and the permit was a Meer $10.50.
Now to finish cleaning the skull and stop chasing the dog with it.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161203/c9a8fdbb2c84179c637f8c5bee45e4ab.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161203/b3deb07a1ccdb607cfedf8a91a99fbad.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161203/2e7247ef817f32d4db3386d72f8d3bc4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Deuce-deuce
12-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Nice looking deer... ever get anything interesting?

mavrik9
12-02-2016, 09:04 PM
All kinds of stuff from tools to the aftermath of a mva fatality. I'm not sure the mva part falls under the cool finds section. Mostly Owls deer and skunks.

kennymo
12-02-2016, 09:11 PM
That'll look good hanging over the shed door. A buddy's dad had an awesome roadkill collection, several hawks, a snowy owl, a bobcat and a bald eagle. All legal in Ontario as long as you submit them for inspection by the fish cops. The eagles and hawks can't be brought into Manitoba IIRC, since possession of any bird of prey seems to be banned under any and all circumstances here.

The father in law had his yard decorated with wolf killed moose and elk racks he'd find while guiding. Some pretty impressive ones in his collection too, if you don't mind the teeth marks....

mavrik9
12-02-2016, 09:17 PM
That'll look good hanging over the shed door. A buddy's dad had an awesome roadkill collection, several hawks, a snowy owl, a bobcat and a bald eagle. All legal in Ontario as long as you submit them for inspection by the fish cops. The eagles and hawks can't be brought into Manitoba IIRC, since possession of any bird of prey seems to be banned under any and all circumstances here.

The father in law had his yard decorated with wolf killed moose and elk racks he'd find while guiding. Some pretty impressive ones in his collection too, if you don't mind the teeth marks....
I have a little moose skull hanging over the shed door. Must have still been in velvet because the tiny spoons are soft and chewed on.

lone-wolf
12-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Now to finish cleaning the skull and stop chasing the dog with it.

lol

blacksmithden
12-03-2016, 12:40 AM
There are more than a few "deer trees" on acreages around the Edmonton area. One I passed must have had 30 skulls hanging in it. I often thought how cool it would be on Halloween. Mrs BSD didn't share my enthusiasm.

Relic49
12-03-2016, 09:51 AM
There are more than a few "deer trees" on acreages around the Edmonton area. One I passed must have had 30 skulls hanging in it. I often thought how cool it would be on Halloween. Mrs BSD didn't share my enthusiasm.

Toooo funny,Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

mavrik9
12-03-2016, 11:47 AM
At the rate I pick up deer on the highway I could have that tree filled with heads in a month. It would look like Santa crashed into the tree.

Deuce-deuce
12-03-2016, 12:05 PM
At the rate I pick up deer on the highway I could have that tree filled with heads in a month. It would look like Santa crashed into the tree.

I'm sure there's a market for your finds. Legality? I couldn't tell you.