PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss scopes on sale

road kill
12-15-2016, 10:11 AM
I see Zeiss scopes on sale starting at 299.99 for a 3x9 Terra scope. Must be a company promotion as I see the same price at a couple of large box stores. I do believe I will have to have a look at one on the next trip in to Saskatoon.

BrotherRockeye
12-15-2016, 01:30 PM
That would explain all the $400 "new" Terras on a certain EE...

Where are you seeing the sales rk?

I'm going to Toon next week and have been looking for a better low light scope than the Loopys.

Been looking at the Zeiss Conquest. The H5 is too spendy for the abuse I plan for it... :)

JustBen
12-15-2016, 02:02 PM
299! Hot darn!

JustBen
12-15-2016, 02:09 PM
Just checked Cabelas - it appears to be only the 3x9 with the z-plex reticle. But that's still a screaming deal. I'm very tempted.

BrotherRockeye
12-15-2016, 05:20 PM
The Terra Line isn't made in Germany, they are made in Japan (some say China) from what I understand.

They are to Zeiss what the Rifleman is to Leupold...

This may be of interest to some:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/3/11/zeiss-terra-3-9x-42-mm-review/

Rory McCanuck
12-15-2016, 06:25 PM
Thanks BR, that's a good read.
It all sounds really good, except for:

There wasn’t any of the “looking through a tunnel” effect seen on some scopes, and the eye relief (tested with the flashlight method) measured 3.7 inches at 3X, slightly exceeding the nominal specifications, but only 2.8 inches at 6X and 2.5 at 9X. This was the biggest difference between the Terra and the Conquests, since all the 3-9X Conquests we have tested exhibit eye relief of at least 3.5 inches anywhere in the magnification range.
I don't enjoy getting scoped.

BrotherRockeye
12-15-2016, 08:03 PM
The review is a positive one for the Terra line, which is generous in comparison to the consensus view I have gathered.

As consumers we have to remind ourselves that sometimes reviews are biased depending on who writes them and their connection to the manufacturer.

One of the reasons I like Lyman reloading manuals...They don't make components, so they don't have an interest in showing one brand in a more favorably light over another.

road kill
12-16-2016, 05:51 AM
BR, i saw the Terra scopes in both Cabela's and WSS sale flyers. For that price they should make a darn good scope for my CZ rimfires.

BgBlkDg
12-17-2016, 06:32 AM
I have six Conquests, two 3x9s, a 4.5x14 and three of the superb, outstanding straight 4xs, for my custom Brno ZG-47s in factory 9.3x62 and my CZ-550, also a 9.3.

I had a West German Diawhatever, but, sold it soon as the eye relief was far too critical.

I have checked out the Terra line and, frankly, would not own one; I like low cost as well as anyone, being a pensioner with some medical costs, but, the quality is not there, IMO.

I would save, scrimp, beg from the "boss" and buy at least a Nikon, better a Leupy, before spending dime one on a Terra. JMHO< YMMV.

BrotherRockeye
12-17-2016, 12:19 PM
I think the Terras would be a fine rimfire scope for the sale price.

I'm more inclined to go Conquest to actually get the good glass and Zeiss quality.

The majority of my glass is Loopy and I am looking for better low light function

What's the light gathering like with the 4.5-14 BBD?

The Conquest 4.5-14x44 was what my research was leaning towards.

JustBen
12-17-2016, 01:43 PM
I have a 2x7 Terra. I'm very happy with it on my .270. Id says it's slightly better than my leupold VX-1.

Petamocto
12-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Seems to be a Browning sale on at Cabela's, too.

gtr
12-17-2016, 02:25 PM
If you haven't looked through one, do so. Not for my eyes .

road kill
12-17-2016, 04:32 PM
Well both WSS and Cabela's were sold out today of the one I was looking for. Got a good deal on a new battery charger at Princess Auto though, turkey is in the freezer and I got the hell out of the city as traffic was starting to pick up. I did look at some more expensive models of Zeiss scopes and they are nice.

BgBlkDg
12-26-2016, 10:24 AM
I think the Terras would be a fine rimfire scope for the sale price.

I'm more inclined to go Conquest to actually get the good glass and Zeiss quality.

The majority of my glass is Loopy and I am looking for better low light function

What's the light gathering like with the 4.5-14 BBD?

The Conquest 4.5-14x44 was what my research was leaning towards.

My limited use of the rifle concerned, a minty P-64-70 Westerner, .264WM, running 140NPs at 3250 out of the 26" tube and into tiny groups, best about .6" at 300M, tends to make me think that it is pretty damned good.

I have this rifle pillared into a Micky G&H style stock, but, very seldom shoot it and have only hunted it twice in the almost 20 years I have had it.

I have a pair of Leupy 3.5x10x50HD scopes I bought about 1993 for use on Van. Is. on private property with highseats and at dawn and dusk; I have used these on many rifles and they do what I need in dusky conditions. I have never tested the Zeiss against these, but, I have found the Gen. 1 Conquests simply superb for BC hunting and wish they still made the 4x, as it is all I need for elk, moose and is built like a tank.

HTH, sorry for the delay in response, busy time of year.