PDA

View Full Version : SKS Tear-down Issue

SeirX
12-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Hey fellas,

After putting a few dozen rounds of corrosive ammo through my SKS, I went to strip it and clean it, and come to find the gas-tube [IIRC] is seized something crazy. I was following a few youtube how-to's on stripping and cleaning and then googled a few solutions for sticky gas tubes [soaked it in WD40, for example - "tilt it barrel down then give it a good whack" seems to be the most repeated `solution`] and aside from taking a real hammer [I've used a rubber mallet with fear and hope at this point] to it, I'm out of options. I've even had a couple of friends try and fail to get it open/apart / completely stripped.

My concern is corrosion and possible catastrophic failure when I'm at the range next.

So the question here is:
How do you get this sucker off if it seems to be seized on?
AND
[approximately] How much damage-over-time will corrosive ammo have on it, if it's been wrapped up and a desiccant pack tossed in with it?

Thanks for the advice and help,

Doug_M
12-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Don't know how to un-seize it but as for corrosive ammo you absolutely must clean not just the barrel but the gas tube and piston each time you fire it. Make sure you use something that will clean out the corrosive salts BEFORE you oil it. Oil alone doesn't work. Google and YouTube are your friends here. Lots of examples and suggestions.

Can you get the hand guard off and the piston is stuck in that? Or can you not even get the hand guard off?

lone-wolf
12-23-2016, 02:07 PM
If it's the piston that's seized, shoot it. If the gun cycles, the piston is loose so go and clean it.
If it's the gas tube, some are naturally on good and solid. Make sure you moved the lever on the rear sight block into the proper position and a screw driver should pry it up carefully.

I'm not sure how you could effectively use a hammer on either part.
I hate wd40, and it's not a penetrator iirc, so I'd use ed's red instead.

Please do not just set you gun into storage after shooting corrosive. Those warnings on the internet about cleaning it post shooting weren't just for their post numbers padding.
It may still function as a rust bucket, but it's resale value will be nil

3MTA3
12-23-2016, 04:00 PM
Use the gas port cleaning tool in your cleaning kit, stick it in the end that connects to the operating rod and tap it with a hammer
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/gmc1977/1949%20sks/IMG_0691.jpg

Kenwp
12-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Quickly mail me the gun and I will look after it for you .It's a piece of junk and not worth anything now.

P-B.
12-24-2016, 09:20 AM
SeirX

I don't know if this is your problem, but on one of ours, the lever you raise to release the gas-tube has to be lifted up Higher than the top notch. It has to be raised past this position a little, but don't go Too far or the spring-loaded plunger will interfere. Mine was Very tight for a start (refurb) so when I got it apart, I polished up the high spots where it was binding & works well now.

Merry Christmas!

SeirX
12-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Doug - I moved "recently", everything's been in storage for about 6 weeks. Every part I could strip off was stripped off, cleaned, dried then oiled and put back together [after I found I couldn't get the gas tube apart].

Lone-Wolf - I used a blunted screwdriver and gently-but-forcibly hammered the blunt end as a force multiplier for the `aim it down and whack it` option.
I've seen videos of some americans who picked up a crate of SKS' for about $20/a piece, and intentionally let one sit for a few months after firing and it was loaded with cancer when they went back to it.

3MTA3 - no cleaning kit I have has the tools required, and the gun was a gift, all it came with was the standard cleaning rod behind the bayonet and a bucketfull of cosmoline.

L-W / P-B - As for that lever - I've tried multiple position from where it's supposed to be, to above and beyond, to no effect. Now that I've got it out of storage, I'll be giving it another go. Hopefully I won't need to get my dremel out to deal with any/too much rust.

Kenwp - that'd be express-post C.O.D. .....you can expect it April 1, 1650 8P

Thanks for the advice fellas

[edit: forgot to add]
Merry Christmas and safe holidays y'all

quinnbrian
12-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Move the take down lever to the upper hole...look to see if the notch is against the end of the gas tube, put a screw driver between the gas tube and the barrel (bolt end of the gas tube) and pry slowly!! It will move, if it doesn't first look at the take down lever, and make sure it in the right spot.
I've never seen an SKS, that you couldn't get apart....and I've seen ones, with the gas piston almost total rusted solid.

If you have taken the gas tube take down lever too far (move it too far up ),it will not come out very easy, because the secondary gas valve and spring are binning against the end of the gas tube...move the lever a little lower...and try again.
Cheers
Brian

3MTA3
12-24-2016, 09:53 PM
-Oh-I thought you were trying toget the piston out
Maybe this video will help-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIl9zML0luU

SeirX
12-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the advice fellas.

When I get the thing apart [sometimes I hate this time of year and the social obligations that come with it]
I'll try to remember to snap some pics so y'all can see what kind of damage a couple months in storage will do.
A buddy of mine is supposed to drop off some kind of spray-protector that stops rust and lubes everything [can't remember the name of it]
to quick-apply before I can get the proper time to tear it down again.

1AWOL
02-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Jeepers! Did you get that gas tube off yet? Inquiring minds need to know.

P-B.
02-12-2017, 10:29 AM
FWIW, was talking to a chap near here who has had an SKS for a year or more. Said he'd never taken the gas tube off yet. (!) Shoots 100 rounds through it quite often. Maybe the use stops it rusting up?

Will let you know what he finds when he Does take it apart. Only surplus Chinese ammo used in the above.

MarkR
02-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the advice fellas.

When I get the thing apart [sometimes I hate this time of year and the social obligations that come with it]
I'll try to remember to snap some pics so y'all can see what kind of damage a couple months in storage will do.
A buddy of mine is supposed to drop off some kind of spray-protector that stops rust and lubes everything [can't remember the name of it]
to quick-apply before I can get the proper time to tear it down again.

Gunzilla maybe? Our TSC store has it on sale, so I grabbed a bottle, and I know of one guy who fires corrosive in a Tokarev says spray it and put it away. The product is supposed to neutralize the salts.

Petamocto
02-12-2017, 05:23 PM
I am very worried that I beat the hell out of mine so severely that the piston and gas tube won't even work at all.

It manually seems to slide back and forth, but it's very possible it was all bent. We shall see.

kennymo
02-12-2017, 07:37 PM
I am very worried that I beat the hell out of mine so severely that the piston and gas tube won't even work at all.

It manually seems to slide back and forth, but it's very possible it was all bent. We shall see.

Don't worry, old Russian rifles are tougher than you are. Worst case scenario is you've just made yourself a straight pull bolt action, a 7.62x39 Ross..... :)