PDA

View Full Version : Savage axis vs Mossberg patriot

shadowwarrior
12-25-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm looking at getting an inexpensive hunting rifle and considering the axis and patriot combos w/scope. Is there much difference in quality accuracy fit and finish since the price is comprable, I'm familiar with Savage but haven't had any experience with Mossbergs.;D

shadowwarrior
12-28-2016, 07:44 PM
Oh well, no input I'll do the scientific approach. Coin toss it is.

Rory McCanuck
12-28-2016, 08:01 PM
Sorry, but don't have a lot of experience with them.
A friend an I both have Axises, both are very good shooters.

The only Mossberg I'm familiar with is a brand new one a kid brought to the range 5 or 6 years ago.
I think it was an ATR? In 300 WinMag.
Kid pulled it out of the box and set up a target at 100 yards.
After going through about a dozen rounds and not hitting the paper, I sugested he put up a target at 25.
Two shots later, it was in the neighbourhood.
Target back out to 100, two more to zero, then he laid the rest into less than an inch.
I was impressed.
Wasn't bad looking either, with a grey laminate stock.

shadowwarrior
12-28-2016, 09:48 PM
Thanks Rory, that good info guess I'll have to go fondle them both at the store see which feels better since they're close on shooting.

kennymo
12-29-2016, 02:34 AM
Thanks Rory, that good info guess I'll have to go fondle them both at the store see which feels better since they're close on shooting.

The new generation of 'bargain' rifles all seem to be generally good shooters and offer decent reliability aside from an occasional factory lemon which seems to occur now and then with most of the brands. I've seen excellent results from the Axis, Remington 783, Ruger American and the Mossberg ATR. Odds are you'll get a decent, utilitarian rifle that'll be plenty accurate enough for hunting purposes no matter which brand you pick.

JustBen
12-29-2016, 07:03 AM
From my experience, the Axis can be a shooter but it needs a trigger.

BrotherRockeye
12-29-2016, 12:03 PM

or some polishing and a couple turns taken off the spring :)

kennymo
12-29-2016, 12:08 PM

Don't the new generation ones come with an upgraded trigger? Something similar to the Accutrigger on most everything else Savage peddles?

Rory McCanuck
12-29-2016, 01:45 PM
or some polishing and a couple turns taken off the spring :)

I just took mine to to the sharpenening stone and smoothed off the ramp thingy.
Now it's very smooth, heavy, but smooth.
Maybe I'll look at lightening the spring once I get 'the load' figured out.

BrotherRockeye
12-29-2016, 04:12 PM
I took a turn and 1/2 off the .223 I got from JustBen a few years back and the groups shrunk close to an inch with the same 55gr Remington ball ammo.

The limp wrist on that model Axis stock, combined with that heavy trigger make a bad combo.

I've has 3 Axis so far. 2 .223 and a .22-250. All 3 made big gains with a little polish and a spring tweek.
Start by removing 1 turn and go from there.

lampshade
01-01-2017, 09:20 PM
I bought the mossberg patriot last week in 30-06. I looked at the axis/rem. 783 and a few other budget rifles but ended up with the patriot. The scope is half descent compared to others. All in all - you cant go wrong with either one.