PDA

View Full Version : PAL Licensing help.

Gr8ness
12-27-2016, 01:05 PM
Hey guys,

First time poster here. I'm new to the world of firearms, and I'd love to get right into it. I've never had a gun license, let alone hold a gun. So I'm a total newb to all of this. I just visited the RCMP's website, and according to what I've read : "The Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) is the only licence currently available to new applicants. It is renewable every five years. As a general rule, applicants must have passed the Canadian Firearms Safety Course." (CFSC).

But right below the details for the CFSC is more information on the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC). It states : "In accordance with the Firearms Act, a firearms safety course focusing on restricted firearms was developed and implemented on February 1, 1999. Individuals wishing to acquire restricted firearms must take the full classroom delivery of the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC), and pass all the tests."

So....the first paragraph talks about the CFSC & the second paragraph talks about "restricted firearms" and the CRFSC.

All I want is to have a handgun (not a shotgun or a rifle) to protect my family. Do I need to take both courses, or can I just take the CFSC???

88 louie
12-27-2016, 02:01 PM
The CFSC is a prerequisite to the CRFSC. You will have to take both courses.
You have to get a range membership, prior to or when you buy a handgun, if the place of sales has a range. That is required as you need a place for Target shooting. Which is generally the reason for owning a handgun.
If you use your reason for owning a handgun on your application form for the RPAL, you are not likely to receive a licence. Target shooting or being a gun collector are valid reasons.
Welcome to the forum !

TheCenturion
12-27-2016, 03:50 PM
There's exactly one firearms license in Canada, the PAL.

You take the CFSC, you get your PAL.

At the same time you take your CFSC, take the add-on CRFSC, the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course. When you apply for your PAL, you tick the box that you'd also like the 'Restricted' endorsement. This gets you your PAL with Restricted, which most people just refer to as an RPAL.

There is no 'handgun' license in Canada, and no way to get a license that lets you have a handgun, but not have, say, a hunting rifle.

So, long story short, you take CFSC and CRFSC course, usually it's a day and a half combined.

StouffvilleGuy
02-14-2017, 10:30 PM
Hey guys,

All I want is to have a handgun (not a shotgun or a rifle) to protect my family. Do I need to take both courses, or can I just take the CFSC???

This statement is exactly why you need to take both courses. After you take both courses you'll realize how absurd this statement is.

Gr8ness
02-15-2017, 05:13 AM
This statement is exactly why you need to take both courses. After you take both courses you'll realize how absurd this statement is.

Imagine that....somebody who openly admitted he was new to guns in his first post by writing "I'm new to the world of firearms" and was asking which course he should take.

What was the point of your post, other than to mock somebody who wasn't born into such great knowledge as when you were born?

IJ22
02-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Imagine that....somebody who openly admitted he was new to guns in his first post by writing "I'm new to the world of firearms" and was asking which course he should take.

What was the point of your post, other than to mock somebody who wasn't born into such great knowledge as when you were born?

What he's trying to say is don't tell anybody you want a handgun to protect your family. Just don't. Never say it again. You want a handgun to participate in the great sport of target shooting. Remember that. :)

DanN
02-15-2017, 11:02 AM

Well that broke down quickly..

Gr8ness - I don't believe StouffvilleGuy meant any offence, but his post was a little lacking in tact.

He is correct, however - Protection is not a valid reason to own a restricted firearm in Canada. If you use that as your reason, your license will be denied. Once you learn about our storage and transportation laws, you'll find that it's pretty difficult to store it legally and with easy, quick access; our laws are specifically designed to prevent quick, easy access to restricted firearms.

IJ22
02-15-2017, 12:47 PM
He is correct, however - Protection is not a valid reason to own a restricted firearm in Canada.

Just to be perfectly clear, it IS a valid reason according to the law, but not according to the bureaucrats. The bureaucrats are permitted to trump the law.

StouffvilleGuy
02-15-2017, 08:12 PM

Gr8ness - I don't believe StouffvilleGuy meant any offence, but his post was a little lacking in tact.

He is correct, however - Protection is not a valid reason to own a restricted firearm in Canada. If you use that as your reason, your license will be denied. Once you learn about our storage and transportation laws, you'll find that it's pretty difficult to store it legally and with easy, quick access; our laws are specifically designed to prevent quick, easy access to restricted firearms.

That's an understatement lol. Finesse has never been my thing, but thank you for recognizing what my underlining point was.

My comment had no ill intention, I truly don't want him being screwed over in both the licensing process or in a real world situation where a handgun would be useless.

Gr8ness
02-16-2017, 09:38 AM

Thank you for the clarification. :Beer time:

Gr8ness
02-16-2017, 09:41 AM
That's an understatement lol. Finesse has never been my thing, but thank you for recognizing what my underlining point was.

My comment had no ill intention, I truly don't want him being screwed over in both the licensing process or in a real world situation where a handgun would be useless.

I over reacted. I interpreted your post as one of a sarcastic tone. I was wrong. I apologize. I truly know nothing about guns, and I really just want to learn as much about them as possible.
And I appreciate you taking the time to explain yourself, and not jumping down my throat for my over reacting. :)

I hope you guys can forgive a newb who's just trying to learn as much as humanly possible on this subject.

Cheers.

KB_TheDireWolf
07-26-2017, 05:39 PM
Learned everything you can by watching YouTube xcetera and even going to range if you can before actually getting your firearms license so you're not completely lost.

RobertMcC
07-26-2017, 06:57 PM
Learned everything you can by watching YouTube xcetera and even going to range if you can before actually getting your firearms license so you're not completely lost.

False. The worst ones are the ones that think they know everything because they watched it on so in so. You can go in blind and still pass.

Likeaboss
07-26-2017, 07:04 PM
False. The worst ones are the ones that think they know everything because they watched it on so in so. You can go in blind and still pass.
Agreed, and there's nothing worse than sitting for an extra hour because some moron keeps interrupting with questions "cuz that's not what the guy on YouTube said".

linung
07-26-2017, 08:31 PM
I just go with the flow and pay attention.

It's not rocket science. Just some history and safety tips. There is basically one thing you need to know: Safety First Second Last and Final.

KB_TheDireWolf
07-26-2017, 10:50 PM
False. The worst ones are the ones that think they know everything because they watched it on so in so. You can go in blind and still pass. Um, I never said that I know everything and I would hate for people to jsut take one YouTubers word too without having any validity. I was saying just as a way to learn about firearm basics. The Canadian safety training video is there.

You just have to use your brain and figure out what's bogus or not. I am also not that stereotypical for being a young person as

.1: my Aspergers makes me think very logical and focus on certain things and sit there cross check my info for at times an hour or more. So I am not going to take the word of one bubbahead.

2. Channels that I watch are somewhat different than you might think. C&Arsenal has excellent videos so far first world war military firearms. I particularly enjoy the Ross rifle one. Forgoten Wepons is very cool! Wish I had a EM-2 ;). Britishmuzzleloaders is also a good local channel from Canada, Cap and Ball is a Hungarian black powder shooter etc.

Hell, I even do YouTube....

Though this page is about 5 months old and the OP probably has his PAL by now I just didn't check before posting my riginal post.

Doug_M
07-27-2017, 05:09 AM
The problem with YouTube is viewing the "right" videos. There are many many horrible examples of how to use firearms on YouTube. But there are also some excellent examples. If someone is interested in seeing a wide variety of arms I'd recommend Hickok45 and Forgotten Weapons. For excellence in sport combined with great safety, I'd recommend Jerry Miculek. For prep for taking one's PAL? I recommend nothing.

RobertMcC
07-27-2017, 06:30 AM
Um, I never said that I know everything and I would hate for people to jsut take one YouTubers word too without having any validity. I was saying just as a way to learn about firearm basics. The Canadian safety training video is there.

You just have to use your brain and figure out what's bogus or not. I am also not that stereotypical for being a young person as

.1: my Aspergers makes me think very logical and focus on certain things and sit there cross check my info for at times an hour or more. So I am not going to take the word of one bubbahead.

2. Channels that I watch are somewhat different than you might think. C&Arsenal has excellent videos so far first world war military firearms. I particularly enjoy the Ross rifle one. Forgoten Wepons is very cool! Wish I had a EM-2 ;). Britishmuzzleloaders is also a good local channel from Canada, Cap and Ball is a Hungarian black powder shooter etc.

Hell, I even do YouTube....

Though this page is about 5 months old and the OP probably has his PAL by now I just didn't check before posting my riginal post.

Problem is there are many that believe that what they see on youtube is correct. In the tactical world you'll see alot of "FADS". There are many "trainers" without actual experience teaching people. That is even worst.

You do not need to learn firearm basic, to do the PAL course. Because that is what the course teaches. Its easier to teach someone that has NO skill proper, then someone with fake skills ( because they seen it on so in so )

Difference is we got our PAL, you do not yet. But the OP reason to own a firearm will prevent him from owning one.

linung
07-27-2017, 09:09 AM
But the OP reason to own a firearm will prevent him from owning one.

Funny thing... I don't remember seeing that question on the application and there was no interview of any kind.

I was just thinking about trying to go hunting and going through all the necessary steps and preparation.

Justice
07-27-2017, 10:22 AM
OP is nearly a year old.
No such thing as 'the tactical world'. 'Tactical' is a marketing term only.
The problem with YouTube is the same as Wikipedia. Anybody with internet access can post anything they like on both. And you cannot learn proper firearms handling from a video.
Mind you, PAL instructors aren't all qualified to teach either. There are many "trainers" without actual experience teaching people the PAL/RPAL courses too.

blacksmithden
07-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Thread is 8 months old. OP hasnt been on the site in 6 months...just sayin....

linung
07-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Its alive!