PDA

View Full Version : Pig Feed Formula Advice Please

BruceW
01-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Will pick up 4 to 6 weiners in the spring, will be raised in an outdoor pen with shelter. Picked up a small Macleod roller mill, plan on a mix using feed wheat as the staple, adding store bought vitamin/mineral supplement. Have looked on the net but can't find what else we'll need.

What about fat in the diet? Could mix ground hay with something like molasses or if I can find an economical source canola or soy oil? Different grades of barley, flax, peas and lentils are also available. Soy and fabba beans are also grown locally but not sure of price or availability.

Raised pigs when a kid but just fed store bought chop from unifeed, which is simply not economical now.

Thank you for your input.

FALover
01-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Corn, lots and lots of corn. No need for added fat,they produce enough as it is. I had an 'in' at a local variety store which allowed me to take all of their expired dairy goods. They enjoyed the past due date chocolate milk! Molasses is expensive from my shopping around and makes your discount feed as pricey as mill bought. If it is organic and can go in your kitchen green bin it is good enough for your pigs. Check with a local grocery store as well. I would get banana boxes filled with anything from the produce departments waste. Old fruits and veggies have all the vitamins needed and sugars for fat. Around my area you can fill a pickup truck with a 1/2 ton of carrots for a few bucks. Culled winter storage produce is cheap as the farmer or packer has to pay for disposal otherwise.If you have any grazing areas, let them go at it. They love to root around for anything and it keeps them occupied. 200 lbs max and then to slaughter as all you gain after that is fat. Just keep them clean and provide all the fresh water they can use. A bale of straw goes quite a ways for bedding. Good luck with your hog husbandry!

JustBen
01-01-2017, 01:12 PM
We used to get lots of extra food for the pigs from the local butcher / grocer. Expired produce and bread mostly. For grain, we used screenings from the seed plant.

FALover
01-01-2017, 01:15 PM
A big P.S. Make sure the little guys have been neutered and teeth are clipped. Tusks and testicles are bad all round for health and weight gain.

JustBen
01-01-2017, 01:18 PM
A big P.S. Make sure the little guys have been neutered and teeth are clipped. Tusks and testicles are bad all round for health and weight gain.

Absolutely! That and it has a negative impact on the taste of the pork.

lone-wolf
01-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Aside from the slop feed we bought, the pigs used to get most of our scrappings.
The couple of apple trees and a corn field beside the house was put to use.

Stubborn creatures, happy to have never raised any more. With the feed prices, you're right, cheaper to buy from the local farm.

kennymo
01-01-2017, 10:23 PM
We feed crushed 'whatever kind of grain the brother in law put up last year' supplemented by pulled weeds and peelings from an acre of garden.

Kenwp
01-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Corn, lots and lots of corn. No need for added fat,they produce enough as it is. I had an 'in' at a local variety store which allowed me to take all of their expired dairy goods. They enjoyed the past due date chocolate milk! Molasses is expensive from my shopping around and makes your discount feed as pricey as mill bought. If it is organic and can go in your kitchen green bin it is good enough for your pigs. Check with a local grocery store as well. I would get banana boxes filled with anything from the produce departments waste. Old fruits and veggies have all the vitamins needed and sugars for fat. Around my area you can fill a pickup truck with a 1/2 ton of carrots for a few bucks. Culled winter storage produce is cheap as the farmer or packer has to pay for disposal otherwise.If you have any grazing areas, let them go at it. They love to root around for anything and it keeps them occupied. 200 lbs max and then to slaughter as all you gain after that is fat. Just keep them clean and provide all the fresh water they can use. A bale of straw goes quite a ways for bedding. Good luck with your hog husbandry!

This actually against the law to do in Canada. That and it takes for ever for a pig to grow on a vegetable. You can't sell one of these pigs legally if you fed them that kind of waste. I know sort of dumb but necessary in this day and age.

Hillbillyreefer
01-01-2017, 10:46 PM
This actually against the law to do in Canada. That and it takes for ever for a pig to grow on a vegetable. You can't sell one of these pigs legally if you fed them that kind of waste. I know sort of dumb but necessary in this day and age.

Really? I've never heard about that bit of stupidity, would you have a link to the legislation?

ruger#1
01-02-2017, 03:46 AM
I used to run a pet food extruder. I used to bring the mash home from making dog food. Pigs loved it. They did not do to good on cat food. Iron oxide and the phosphoric acid wasn't good for them. So we just used the dog food. The pigs were great tasting.

road kill
01-02-2017, 06:30 AM
A buddy raised 3 feeders last winter on 99% out dated milk and produce from the store and hotel. Those pigs thrived on that diet.

BrotherRockeye
01-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Every farm that had pigs back in the day had a slop bucket filled with table scraps and potato peels.

Bedded in big straw bales and fed chop, my uncle used to raise the best pork in the country according to a lot of folks around here.

My buddy used to feed his on out dated sandwiches and subs from mobile food trucks...pizza flavored pig mmmmm

Feed them like you would bait bears and you won't go wrong...

pitw
01-02-2017, 05:58 PM
If you have access to fruit it is a wonderful thing to add to their diet for a month before butchering. For a couple years I got all the saskatoon berries that never made the cut from a place that picked and froze the berries. Made the meat just a wee bit sweeter to our thinking[could be because we wanted it to]. Funny part was how them sob's tried to root under the fence to get to them bags of fermenting fruit. Apples we use too but I've never gathered enough to give them a months worth.

Sinbad
01-02-2017, 06:50 PM
My Buddies father feeds them apples a months before harvest to sweeten the meat of course BC has lots of apple trees

ruger#1
01-02-2017, 07:04 PM
My Buddies father feeds them apples a months before harvest to sweeten the meat of course BC has lots of apple trees Yes we do. I often wondered how they would do on grapes, Cherries, Peaches, ETC. A guy could do great in the Okanogan. When the Americans ship their produce up here. The fruit and vegtables are just left to rot.

BrotherRockeye
01-02-2017, 07:26 PM
If you have access to fruit it is a wonderful thing to add to their diet for a month before butchering. For a couple years I got all the saskatoon berries that never made the cut from a place that picked and froze the berries. Made the meat just a wee bit sweeter to our thinkingcould be because we wanted it to. Funny part was how them sob's tried to root under the fence to get to them bags of fermenting fruit. Apples we use too but I've never gathered enough to give them a months worth.

You are what you eat came from somewhere...the difference between a farm land deer and a buck brush deer is pretty noticeable for just that reason. Another reason folks finish cattle with grain, besides the marbling...but you already know that :p