PDA

View Full Version : Refinished Mosin

ZSloboda
01-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Hey all!

So for my first official post I thought I might show off a little project of mine.
I bought this 1941 Mosin Nagant about a year ago from Milarm here in Edmonton.
What attracted me to it was its exceptionally smooth trigger pull for such an old rifle. Mosin triggers are notoriously gritty and heavy, and while the pull is still quite significant, the journey there is quite smooth, especially for $200.
For a 75 year old rifle, this one was in great shape, apart from the stock, that is.
The classic shellac finish was chipping off in large amounts, leaving chips all over my safe, but the stock seemed to be in great shape otherwise.
So I stripped, soaked, sanded, and refinished this lovely rifle and I took her from a redhead to a blonde.
Presenting my blonde Mosin.

Dewey Cox
01-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Looks good.

saskminer
01-02-2017, 11:00 AM
1941's are pretty rare. It's a shame the original finish is gone but to each his own.
That's a nice gun for $200. If you find a '41 Tula let me know!
Below is a link to the relative "rarity" of these fine rifles:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm

kennymo
01-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Nice. Two or three thin brass shims and a little polishing and filing can make the trigger considerably more agreeable on these beasts.

Mark-II
01-02-2017, 04:47 PM
I didn't realize how light the wood could be.

My first one looked like it was set on fire before the shellac started flaking, so I redid it in tru oil.

I don't regret it - the Soviet rifles are post war mixmaster refurbished anyway.

Looks good!