PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to get an SVT40?

El Lobo
01-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Howdy,
My lgs has a decent stock of SVT40s and I have recently gotten fixated on the idea of having one. I've been wanting an sks as a fun plinker but having the larger round of an svt sounds like a lot of fun. Are they fairly easy to strip and clean (rountinely and cosmo removal)? Also, how is the reliabilty and durability of these things?

Kenwp
01-01-2017, 05:57 PM
Well they survived WW2 so have to have some durability. They are also a military rifle so shouldn't be hard to take apart either.

kennymo
01-01-2017, 05:58 PM
I find the SVT a little more complex to strip than an SKS, but some claim 'it's more intuitive'. Not sure about that, I figured out the SKS first with a little farting around. Had to watch some YouTube videos to get the SVT apart.

That aside, it's a fun (and LOUD) gun, I've got two right now. Accuracy is OK but not spectacular, it's a little more expensive to feed and there are far fewer aftermarket parts available for it. I like the looks myself, definitely grabs attention a little more than your run of the mill SKS or Mosin Nagant. The magazine was intended to stay in the rifle aside from cleaning, much like a Lee Enfield. This can make them finicky if they didn't receive a magazine that agreed with them when they were refurbished, but I've been lucky and not had that issue after owning three of them. It uses the same stripper clips as the Nagant, replicas are available all over.

Lee Enfield
01-01-2017, 06:09 PM
We have one, never fired it, will have to do that someday, maybe?

Gunexpert007
01-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Howdy,
My lgs has a decent stock of SVT40s and I have recently gotten fixated on the idea of having one. I've been wanting an sks as a fun plinker but having the larger round of an svt sounds like a lot of fun. Are they fairly easy to strip and clean (rountinely and cosmo removal)? Also, how is the reliabilty and durability of these things?

What kind of price is your LGS charging for a SVT these days ? The SVT is more complex than a SKS , and kicks harder ; but SVT's tend to be rarer....

wolver
01-01-2017, 07:25 PM
More fun than an SKS, and more expensive to shoot. Good info on field stripping and cleaning on the 'net.

FALover
01-01-2017, 09:27 PM
LOUD 'N PROUD! Ear protection is a must and be kind, let anyone to either side of you at the range know a tsunami of sound and flame is coming their way.

El Lobo
01-01-2017, 09:38 PM
What kind of price is your LGS charging for a SVT these days ? The SVT is more complex than a SKS , and kicks harder ; but SVT's tend to be rarer....

Lever Arms in Vancouver has them in stock for $375 to $400. It still beats a 308 or 30-06 in terms of price and fullfills the itch to plink with .30 cal.

El Lobo
01-01-2017, 09:39 PM
The big bang of this commie cannon is one of the appealing factors to me :)

Justice
01-02-2017, 11:12 AM
"...the larger round of an svt..." Larger case. Same diameter bullet. The 7.62 x 54R will kill any game in North America though. The 7.62 x 39 will not.
Whether an SVT is worth buying depends on how "original" it is. Don't think there are many, if any, shops cobbling 'em together though.
"...they survived WW2 so..." More that they survived being issued to illiterate conscripts.
Manual is here. In Russian. http://stevespages.com/pdf/svt_40.pdf

Domain007
01-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Honestly i find them VERY accurate compared to other rifles i shot. I had a savage axis in 308 and i could never hit a balloon at 100 yards. The svt however, can hit balloons with no problems at 200 yards! If you're looking to buy one i may have a lead on a rifle with a bayo and sling that comes with it. Shoot me a PM if you're interested :)

RevDrMarty
01-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Is it worth it? Some folks here are from an era when you could buy a Kar98 at the hardware with pocket change. What's a Mauser worth now? $500, in poor condition? And this for a very common (but well-made,) bolt-action rifle.

SVTs will dry up eventually. They'll never get approach the price of a Garand, but their value will likely keep ticking upwards.

Swampdonkey
01-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Now I want to hunt grizzly bear with my SKS.

M39
01-08-2017, 10:28 PM
Lever Arms in Vancouver has them in stock for $375 to $400. It still beats a 308 or 30-06 in terms of price and fullfills the itch to plink with .30 cal.

Good price jump on it

altitude604
01-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Definitely want to add an SVT to my collection!

Doug_M
01-09-2017, 10:07 AM
A lot of Canadian gun owners go through a soviet milsurp phase. I've had a couple SKSes, a Mosin, an SVT-40 and a Tokarev pistol. Now I just have the SVT-40 with no plans to get rid of it, ever. Paid $300 for it in 2013. Prices have gone up and will continue to. I doubt more will get imported ever again. But it now while its still affordable.

3MTA3
01-09-2017, 10:24 AM
So Who Wins?

It is easy to sit back and just accept the M1 Garand propaganda, that is the best blah, blah blah. So why bother with the SVT-40? #1 would be because it is a really cool rifle, and if you can get your hands on one, it helps to go through such a comparison as above so you can see what it is you would be buying. On GunsAmerica they do appear, but only from time to time. Donít be surprised if you see one at a gunshow for $2,000, because some people know how rare these cool rifles really are, and they donít let them go easily.
The Garand also take down easier than the SVT, or pretty much any other rifle. You just pop the trigger guard and the rifle falls apart.

In actual comparison, the two rifles, SVT vs. Garand, are not apples and oranges as many would say, but they arenít that alike either. Parts are readily available for the Garand. That is a big deal if you only have the money for one rifle. Garands can often be found for well under $1,000, but be careful that you donít buy a rifle with a bent op rod. There is no such thing as a sober person selling an SVT for under $1,000, but you never know when youíll run into a drunk. As battle rifles go, the M1 Garand endured through two wars, and bred not only the M14, but the M1 Carbine, and even the Ruger Mini-14/30. The SVT-40 didnít lead to much of anything. Itís design invented nothing really, and it was replaced by the Eastern Bloc countries by the AK-47, which took influence from the German STG-44, not the SVT or any Soviet designed rifle. Nostalgically speaking, the M1 Garand is as romantic as rifles come. The SVT is a vagrant of history at best, but is that simply because America has no use for history of the ďother frontĒ in World War II? In a fight for my life would I take an M1 Garand or an SVT-40? Um.https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/soviet-svt-40-vs-m1-garand-best-battle-implement-ever/
I think I might get another one.

Domain007
01-09-2017, 01:19 PM
The prices of these rifles in America is insane lol... imagine if they knew they can get them here for ~300usd :o

Mark-II
01-10-2017, 09:15 PM
I've got a nice one I've never fired and sold a rougher ex sniper a few years back that I did.

You can't put too many rounds through before they overheat, and they take a long time to cool down.

For blasting, your basic sks makes more sense.

If you can find one with a nice bore, there's nothing wrong with having the SVT, as a shits n giggles gun.

As I recall, dealing with the recoil spring is probably the worst part of tear down and assembly. I've not shot one in 3 or 4 years, though. Mine is staying in deep storage, I think. Same as my last sks.

El Lobo
01-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Seems like a nice fun gun but maybe Ill just go with the SKS. I' ve finally seen the appeal of our national commie gun lol. The svt does seem like it will go up in value a lot in 5 years though. Decisions decisions

DILLIGAF
01-10-2017, 10:25 PM
The SVT 40 is the most fun Milsurp I own.

saskminer
01-17-2017, 03:46 PM
Lever Arms in Vancouver has a bunch of them. I'm getting a Tula 6 port hand selected gun. It should be a fun thing to shoot and low cost ammo is nice.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

josey wales
02-27-2017, 02:17 PM
i have been wanting one for a while as well, the Lever price has convinced me to pick one up.

abtomatob_bob
02-27-2017, 10:57 PM
Yo JW, dont do it, I had a nice Navy one, just another rifle, too long to hunt with. Once cheap ammunition drys up, it will be just another milsurp crowding and bruising the good stuff. Fun to shoot, sure...so is the JRC 9mm, and every other semi I own. My 2 cents, we have dealt many times at the nutty place. Hey buy 6 if you can afford it :)

josey wales
03-06-2017, 07:14 AM
lol hey Bob :)

M1917 Enfield
03-20-2017, 01:41 PM
They are excellent milsurp semi auto battle rifles and fun to shoot, everybody should try one before the cheap ex-mil ammo runs out or they are too expensive to buy like in the USA.

Profire62
04-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Prices have already jumped. Lever Arms has them for $699 now. I wish I was in a position to pick one up when they were only $350.

Dewey Cox
04-05-2017, 05:00 PM
I remember (not very long ago even) standing in a downtown Edmonton gunshop with one in my hands, and a $250 price tag on it. (More if you bought one with the cosmo cleaned off).
I decided I should probably think about it first.
By the next time I made it back, no more were available.
I finally just bought one from lever, in much worse shape for just over $400 by the time it got to my door.

Newbgunner
04-07-2017, 06:39 PM
"...the larger round of an svt..." Larger case. Same diameter bullet. The 7.62 x 54R will kill any game in North America though. The 7.62 x 39 will not.
Whether an SVT is worth buying depends on how "original" it is. Don't think there are many, if any, shops cobbling 'em together though.
"...they survived WW2 so..." More that they survived being issued to illiterate conscripts.
Manual is here. In Russian. http://stevespages.com/pdf/svt_40.pdf

Only thing I don't agree with is the part about the 7.62x 39 not being able to take any game in NA. Nothing here with a good shot would stand up to it. I've seen guys who have taken polar bears with 22s. Heck that is what we used to cull cattle.

Strewth
04-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Prices have already jumped. Lever Arms has them for $699 now. I wish I was in a position to pick one up when they were only $350.

:eek1: $700! Wow, not letting mine go anytime soon!

Are they fairly easy to strip and clean (rountinely and cosmo removal)? Also, how is the reliabilty and durability of these things?
Easy enough to strip, reliability and durability are Russian. Except maybe the gas cup, make sure you get the corrosive salts out of there, I've heard of them corroding if not cleaned....not thoroughly, it's an easy part to get at....perhaps I mean religiously? I guess it could be an easy part to miss?