PDA

View Full Version : PU mosin

Domain007
01-02-2017, 11:30 AM
Im trying to get myself a nice MN91/30 PU. Dont really care if its been refurbed but i do care that it is an original sniper. Im looking at one right now but one thing is throwing me off. There is no scope serial on the barrel right in front of the receiver. would this indicate a fake?

saskminer
01-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Here's my cheat sheet for Mosin 91/30 snipers:

PU Sniper
All genuine Leningrad scopes with a Cyrillic letter prefix will either have a Cyrillic A (which looks like our A) or a Cyrillic B (which looks to a lot of people like a 5 or 6) - NOT a letter that looks like y or 4

Flat top vs. rounded top screws is one thing to look for, but some replicas have the rounded ones and some real ones - either early post-WW2 military or original WW2 scopes that were refurbished after the war by the Soviet or Polish military - have the flat top screws

On the left side of the barrel shank just above the wood line is where Izhevsk put their scope numbers. These numbers matched the scope that was on the rifle. If a scope was damaged they would grind that number off (or line it out and leave it on) and restamp the new scope number in (usually). Sometime they just ground it off and left it blank, but it will show in the light.

The give away is the proof marks. "Proof marks" that were placed on the rifle by the armory when the rifle was made are up higher or on top on a sniper rifle. This was done to allow for the scope number down lower. So a sniper rifle (even an exsniper rifle) will have the proofs up higher

Tula CH or CN indicates sniper

Any gun with a date other than 1942-1944 with a PU scope on it. (suspect)

Also, I trust as real scopes with a refurb mark (the little box with and "X" or slash) - nobody fakes scope refurb marks, but the scope should match the rifle if possible. Most replicas have the strap of the lens cap threaded through the mount hole, another alert

Izhevsk snipers usually had the scope number stamped along the left side, while most Tulas don't

Bolt handle was bent on a anvil. No weld marks.

I should add that I'm not an expert. This is a list of things I've gleaned from forums and other websites. True PU snipers command premium money so I'd be wary of any deals out there because fakes/reproductions far outnumber actual snipers.
Another website to check out with a lot of information about import markings.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/sniper_exports/index.html

Good luck and let us know how it goes with your search.

Mark-II
01-02-2017, 04:58 PM
If you can get it cheap enough, some of the repros are decent, though I'd want to inspect it rather than order online.

I have one that I reserve for surplus ammo that I won't put through my original/refurb ones and it shoots well, plus the scope is nice and clear.

But if you just want one, it's nice to have something with some history.

As I understand it, though, the sorts of rifles that we get here were decommissioned after the war, then re-mated to scopes/mounts in the years since. Authentic non-refurb snipers are pretty rare. My uncle had one many years ago, regrettably long gone.

Billythreefeathers
01-03-2017, 09:38 AM
or build your own

looks like my entire youtube channel is gone,,,

Domain007
01-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys! the mosin i was looking at was indeed a fake. Had a refurbed kazan scope on it (that was real) but the rifle itself was a regular 91/30. If im to get one id rather the mosin be at least an ex sniper :)

Mark-II
01-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Try an outfit like P&S Militaria. I'd recommend Tradeex, but I don't think they have any.

Sinbad
01-04-2017, 10:05 PM
I saw one on Wanstalls site for 799

Billythreefeathers
01-05-2017, 01:09 PM
try westrifle.com,, he has a bunch of ex snipers

M39
01-08-2017, 10:39 PM
try westrifle.com,, he has a bunch of ex snipers

I bought an ex sniper from them and put an original scope on it and it shoots great I love the old style cross hairs. I put a clamp on muzzle brake from howling raven and has hardly any kick. Lots of fun. I don't care if the scope number matches the rifle numbers. Be nice to have an all original but Russia refurbished everything anyway like new wood or new scope or new firing pin or bolt anyway.

FatMan
02-10-2017, 08:22 PM
I just picked up a '43 Izhevsk from Tenda. It has the Molot markings but everything except the scope matches