PDA

View Full Version : No love for the old AR10?

AR10Stef
01-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Like the title say's.
No love for the old AR10?
I know a lot of part kits came to Canada in the 80's
Have to take out the camera and show off some pics

jwirecom109
01-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Like the title say's.
No love for the old AR10?
I know a lot of part kits came to Canada in the 80's
Have to take out the camera and show off some pics

There would be a huge amount of love for the original AR10, but there are few in Canada.
Personally I would love to have an original one, but then again who wouldn't

Ohno
01-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Most AR 10's are restricted in Canada which means they can only be shot at a range and not out in the bush, but we have hope:
http://gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?36221-NEA-102

blacksmithden
01-10-2017, 03:51 PM
I've got a Smith and Wesson M&P10. I like it...I just don't get to shoot every gun I own as much as I'd like due to ammo reloading costs. Theres only so much cash to go around, and I'm into the long range thing right now. It's definately my choice of a "get out of Dodge, the zombies are coming" gun. AR15s are nice, but nothing you do will ever make them hit like a 308. God, What I wouldn't do to have the lab rats derestrict it so I could hunt with it.

Petamocto
01-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Most AR 10's are restricted in Canada which means they can only be shot at a range and not out in the bush, but we have hope:
http://gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?36221-NEA-102

You are incorrect. A "new" AR10 is not an actual AR10. New AR10s are basically just 7.62/308 versions of the AR15/M16/C7 platform, which it not what the original AR10 was. Armalite made less than 10,000 in the 1950s before changes were made to the AR15.

The initial AR10 lost to the M14 in testing (wiki page has a lot of info).

New not-really-AR10s are scaled up AR15s, not actual AR10s.

Hopefully NEA's upcoming concept actually looks like a modern upscaled AR15 that functions like an original AR10, because the old AR10s look wonky/ugly proportion-wise.

Justice
01-11-2017, 11:19 AM
"...huge amount of love for the original AR-10..." Fair number are here, but they're prohibited 12 some things. Sold all kinds of 'em in the early 80's. The Sudanese models still had some desert in 'em too. All of 'em made in Holland as I recall. Best ones would have been the 5 made for tests by Finland. They were in 7.62 x 39.
Anyway, the AR-10 was far too radical a concept in the mid 50's. And the M-14 was adopted for political reasons. The FAL beat it in every test except accuracy.
"...AR15/M16/C7..." An AR-15 is entirely different internally from both an M-16 and a C7. Not really even close to being the same things.

Westicle
01-11-2017, 11:56 AM
i'll take my eugene stoner designed sr-25acc any day over an old ar10.

Specter Arms
01-11-2017, 07:28 PM
I have a friend with his 12(3) and an original AR-10 (not the scaled up AR15s). It is classy.

Yes, Petamocto and Justice are correct....the original AR-10s are prohib and not the "AR10s" of today.

Petamocto
01-11-2017, 07:40 PM
Justice, as for the FAL comparison, it's not entirely accurate to state that the FAL beat it by so much.

The big problem with the AR10's test is that it just wasn't ready yet; they rushed a prototype to the trials.

One thing the original AR10 kicked ass at and still kicks ass at is weight. It weighs less than 7 points pounds, or about what a modern 5.56 rifle weighs. Absolutely a dream for a soldier's left arm compared to a FAL.

FlyingHigh
01-11-2017, 09:50 PM
My only complaint with the AR10, and it's modern counterparts is it being .308. Talk about expensive to shoot!!

Swampdonkey
01-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Maineprepper endorses the AR10.

Curtis264
02-11-2017, 11:32 PM
I bought an Ar-10, the first batch that had come into Canada in the 80's, they were Dutch manufactured, they were convert full auto. They shot nice, my finish was not great so the guy who did all my competition IPSIC guns was in Montana, so I bought it down to the US, declared it at the border, border guys love it and I gave it to my gunsmith to have it refinished. My gunsmith sent it to a place in Florida, when they received it they called the ATF. The ATF seized it because in the US, once a machine gun always a machine gun. The ATF agent called me, told me I was not in trouble because they checked and I had declared it, stated border guards should not have let it in, and they destroyed the rifle. Back in the 80's, I hunted with that rifle and took down a couple deer, miss those days when we could hunt with an AR

Lee Enfield
02-11-2017, 11:44 PM
I have a friend who has all the licences and bought a AR10 and has been waiting around THREE years ++ for the transfer to be completed by the rcmp. IIRC the mounties have the gun for inspection and are stalling for some unknown reason. The guy has every prohib. lic. from the good old days and is a super nice guy.

Gunexpert007
02-12-2017, 03:45 AM
I bought an Ar-10, the first batch that had come into Canada in the 80's, they were Dutch manufactured, they were convert full auto. They shot nice, my finish was not great so the guy who did all my competition IPSIC guns was in Montana, so I bought it down to the US, declared it at the border, border guys love it and I gave it to my gunsmith to have it refinished. My gunsmith sent it to a place in Florida, when they received it they called the ATF. The ATF seized it because in the US, once a machine gun always a machine gun. The ATF agent called me, told me I was not in trouble because they checked and I had declared it, stated border guards should not have let it in, and they destroyed the rifle. Back in the 80's, I hunted with that rifle and took down a couple deer, miss those days when we could hunt with an AR

More likely is that the U.S. authorities kept the rifle for themselves . If the rifle had been legally declared , they could have just ordered the firearm removed from the U.S. back to Canada via courier . Some ATF agent now has a nice AR10 sitting in his gun safe.....

FALover
02-12-2017, 10:33 AM
I have a friend who has all the licences and bought a AR10 and has been waiting around THREE years ++ for the transfer to be completed by the rcmp. IIRC the mounties have the gun for inspection and are stalling for some unknown reason. The guy has every prohib. lic. from the good old days and is a super nice guy.

The mounties now have you send the firearm to a recognized gunsmith to have the rifle examined and then brought up to their latest standards/demands for conversion. I have a 12.3 at a local smith,it's up to snuff now and just waiting for the paperwork to process.

00 Buddy
08-29-2017, 10:47 PM
Lots of love right here for it! I have quite the fascination with Cold War-era battle rifles. Seeing pictures of any Canadian-owned AR-10s would be quite a treat for me. I'd love it if some company would come along and make AR-10-style furniture for AR-15s. I can't get enough of that brown plastic stock and hand guard!