PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in a new Rifle

Eel
01-17-2017, 02:13 PM
So I just got my TC Venture 30-06 in the mail today and now have the joy of firing rounds through a brand new gun for the first time. I got the package with the scope already mounted so I don't have to worry about mounting the scope on it, although it will be getting a higher quality scope this summer. This is my first rifle and I was wondering what the best way to sight it in was. I'm thinking that I was going to use 165 grain bullets, but brand and type I am not sure of as I'm completely new to this. Do you fine people have any advice on what types/brands of ammo I should use? Is there a break in procedure that I should follow before/during sighting it in?

kennymo
01-17-2017, 03:22 PM
I'd try a couple different brands and bullet weights just to get an idea of what the gun likes, I usually have pretty fair luck with Federal when I'm not handloading (I refuse to buy boutique ammo! :p). Is the scope factory bore sighted? If not, bolt actions are fairly easy to do, just put the gun in a sturdy rest, remove the bolt and look through the barrel at a target about 100 yards away. Once you're satisfied that it's aligned, adjust the scope crosshairs to match, going back and forth a couple of times until you're certain the bore and scope pictures are pretty damn close. Then I fire a couple shots at 50 yards, make sure it's shooting ballpark dead centre, then back out to 100 and start fine tuning.

As far as break in goes, some believe in it, some don't. Certain manufacturers have instructions in the manual, usually it involves a pattern of shooting and cleaning, fire one, clean, fire two, clean, fire five, etc.... Seems to vary a little depending who you talk to... Whatever you do be sure to at least clean your gun before it's first use, get any heavy oils or storage grease that might've come from the factory out to make sure your first shooting session goes smoothly. The old man once got a Remington that had a bunch of grease in the chamber, even though we'd pushed a patch through the barrel the action locked up tight after the first shot and had to be tapped open with a piece of 2x4. After inserting a cotton shotgun swab and spinning the gun was right as rain. So, visual inspection of the barrel before your first shot, preferably with a light source :p.

Also a good tip: Check that all the bolts/screws on your rings and mounts are tight, and that the crosshairs of your scope are level with the rest of the rifle. More than one range session has been tainted by a loose ring and a crooked scope will make dialing in a PITA. Factory workers have been known to let one slide at 3:00 on a Friday....

Rory McCanuck
01-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Two shots and you can be roughly sighted in.
Set up a target at 15-25 yards.
From a very steady rest, fire one shot.
Hopefully, it hit the paper.
Now, holding the rifle dead steady in the rest, aimed still at the centre of the target, adjust the crosshairs to the bullet hole for left and right.
You've probably jiggled things a bit, but that's ok, just place the horizontal crosshair on the centre of the target again.
Adjust the horizontal crosshair so that it is about 1 1/2" above the bullet hole.
Take second shot, and it should be centred and about 1 1/2" low.
With any high-powered rifle, this should put you about centred at 100 yards.

Eel
01-17-2017, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys. Got an Moa guarantee right out of the box, so I'm guessing it's been at least rough sighted in at the factory, but it's recommended that I take the mounts off and loc-tite them in so there goes the factory sight in lol. I'll grab a couple weights of ammo and try it out. Thanks again! So excited lol.

Justice
01-20-2017, 11:12 AM
"...types/brands of ammo..." If you're not reloading you'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of said ammo means nothing. It does get expensive. Also don't expect one hole groups. The rifle may not be capable of 'em and it's not necessary for hunting. A consistent 2 or 3 inches(highly unlikely any commercial hunting rifle will only shoot that, but that is accurate enough for deer sized game.
165's are the ideal do everything weight for .30-06. Which brand or which style really makes no difference. The .30-06 loves 'em and they'll kill any game you care to hunt in North America.
When you get to reloading, you'll be doing so by the weight, not who made it or its shape. IMR4064 is your friend too.
Sight in at 100. 15 is way too close and 25 isn't much better. You need a solid rest on a solid bench. Sand bags(range dirt/sand), cat litter or anything like it will do nicely and cost little or nothing. Shoot slowly and deliberately for group only. Once you've found the ammo your rifle likes sight in about 3.5" high at 100 and you'll be on target out to about 300.

awndray
01-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Sighting in:

Ryan Cleckner can help.

http://youtu.be/aDrrJA14wtg

Ammo:
As others have already said, try a bunch.

gtr
01-20-2017, 06:26 PM
So I just got my TC Venture 30-06 in the mail today and now have the joy of firing rounds through a brand new gun for the first time. I got the package with the scope already mounted so I don't have to worry about mounting the scope on it, although it will be getting a higher quality scope this summer. This is my first rifle and I was wondering what the best way to sight it in was. I'm thinking that I was going to use 165 grain bullets, but brand and type I am not sure of as I'm completely new to this. Do you fine people have any advice on what types/brands of ammo I should use? Is there a break in procedure that I should follow before/during sighting it in?

Clean it up, and grab a couple of boxes of different ammo to try out. You should be ready to go. I have never used loc-tite on bases or rings and have had no issues in 40 years of shooting. Maybe its a new thing, as I didn't think Canada would have to deal with another Trudeau as PM. either...As many ways to sight in a gun as you tube has video's. Good luck with your new gun.