PDA

View Full Version : Legal way to bypass magazine restrictions?

harbl_the_cat
08-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Anyone else think doing this would make a Canadian gun manufacturer an absolute hero among most Canadians, especially AR-15 owners?

A company designed and manufactured an entirely new bolt or pump action, non-restricted .223 rifle that used magazines with the EXACT dimensions as an AR-15 magazine.

They could make the gun out of recycled aluminium foil for all I care, as long as it's able to take an AR-15 magazine - I'd buy one.

Garetsu
08-27-2012, 03:01 PM
It wouldn't hurt to make one in .308 designed to take M14 Mags, too.

I'll tell you what, when I win some ridiculous large sum of money, I will set up shop.

I'll call my company "Diversion Arms", my featured product line would be the Scapegoat, the SG-M223, and SG-M308. I'll make 1000 of each, and then make around 10,000 - 20,000 mags, then close the doors. Think that'd do?

M0FuK1Dy
08-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Look up the Mossberg MVP.
http://gunwriter.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/0501111436c.jpg

JustBen
08-27-2012, 03:35 PM
The mossberg MVP fits the bill, but it is advertised as being compatible with AR type mags. Therefore, it is limited to 5 rounds.
You wouldn't want to make it the exact same dimensions, but enough design consideration so that it works without any modifications.

And don't advertise it as taking AR mags. But then you completely forget the american market and the lack of mag caps down there (in most states)

mlehto
08-27-2012, 03:56 PM
It wouldn't change anything unless the manufacturer designed and sold their own mags marketting them specifically for that gun.

This would be a waste of time and money on the manufacturers part as there is an abundance of cheap AR mags already.

Not gonna happen.

RobSmith
08-27-2012, 05:39 PM
X2 .... And with the RCMP keeping an eye out for such attemps, the only way I could see that this could <possibly> pass muster is if the mag was "designed" to be used in a garden-variety bolt-action "hunting rifle" and was the 5 round "flush" type. Then <maybe> 10 years later you'd have an argument to produce "high capacity" variants of the mag in question "as a response to our customer base".

Realistically as soon as the product would hit market the RCMP would block it and keep it ties up in the courts until you just give up on it, run out of money, or both.

You <might> have better luck coming up with a non AR-compatible mag which holds 30 rounds for a bolt-action rifle and THEN design an AR variant (or mag well adapter) that works with it. Or alternatively, manufacture a rifle/mag combo which uses "propretary" mags (say a mag that has the exact same outside dimensions as an AR mag but has an extra "groove" on it somewhere which matches a "dimple" in your bolt-action rifle's mag well so that a standard AR mag could not be inserted into it). That the "propretary" feature doesn't interfere with insertion in a standard AR mag well would be purely "accidental" and you'd still have an argument that those mags clearly were NOT designed to be used in an AR (AR mags don't fit in the rifle they were made for after all).

It wouldn't change anything unless the manufacturer designed and sold their own mags marketting them specifically for that gun.

This would be a waste of time and money on the manufacturers part as there is an abundance of cheap AR mags already.

Not gonna happen.

pubb
08-27-2012, 07:23 PM
it can take an AR15 and be advertised as AR15 compatible. But you could buy LAR15 mags and blast away...

Pubb

westislandrifle
08-28-2012, 07:48 AM
smells like trolling to me this thread does .....

cmiller82
08-28-2012, 08:45 AM
You might argue that any discussion of Canadian gun laws is trolling. I would argue that the real troll here is the Canadian Government.

The hi-cap mags will not happen without a law change, the RCMP "gave in" on the LAR mags, but prevented the 30 round pistol mags pinned to 10. So they've proven they have an acceptable level of loop hole use.

lone-wolf
08-28-2012, 03:55 PM
For the cost of the investment, you could maybe take the government to court?

loki
08-28-2012, 06:32 PM
The regular capacity mags will not happen without a law change, the RCMP "gave in" on the LAR mags, but prevented the 30 round pistol mags pinned to 10. So they've proven they have an acceptable level of loop hole use.

Fixed it for you. Just because it's not neutered doesn't make it high capacity, and as a gun owner such language should be eliminated from your vocabulary. This is terminology that anti's have successfully used for years, so successfully that I'm constantly correcting gun owners.

Now as for the OP I agree with what has already been said. Such a mag would have to be unique, and just happen to fit the STANAG platform. In which case the RCMP might argue that it was designed with intent to do so and the investment gets neutered with a rivet.

Not to mention the fact you'll likely be charged with possession of a prohibited device if found firing it from a semi-automatic. Of course you'll provide the evidence of it being designed and marketed for a pump/bolt action, but by then you're out court fees/lawyer fees/ time and effort.

Fight to change the laws you don't like, don't use loopholes that can easily be shut. Work to have the system changed one step at a time. Getting regular capacity magazines back is doable with the right amount of support and proper language to articulate why it isn't a threat to public safety.