PDA

View Full Version : Did you scope your SKS?

M39
01-18-2017, 04:38 PM
If you did scope your SKS what mount did you use and what scope or laser sight? Did you drill and tap or just slap it on the dust cover and say good enough?

kennymo
01-18-2017, 04:46 PM
After trying out a few friend's dust cover mounts I ordered a Pro Mag side mount, very similar to the Choate one. Nowadays I'd take a serious look at something like the Wartac system (longer rail that spans the dust cover take down pin to the rear sight mount) before I thought about throwing another rifle in the drill press.

GonZo
01-18-2017, 05:21 PM
I have the Wartac system on mine with a red dot, the shells bounce off the wartac but there are videos for adjusting the ejection angle of the rounds to stop this. Pretty simple to install as I have done one on my buddys sks as well, although I could never get that little pin out of the pin for removing the dust cover and had to grind them off both times.

Joshua13
01-18-2017, 06:55 PM
I have addley precision mount and it's great. Bolts into receiver and doesn't move.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Specter Arms
01-19-2017, 12:09 AM
All I can say is stay away from dust cover mounts.

TheHydrant
01-19-2017, 08:48 AM
As stated above dust cover mounts are pooey.
The wartac is excellent but even after that I still ended up just going back to the irons.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

glockfan
01-19-2017, 10:57 AM
don't see the need of a scoped sks. not that it wouldn't be fun, but a scope wouldn't add any intrinseque precision to the rifle.

if it was about a dragonov, it would be for sure a different story.:shoot2:

kennymo
01-19-2017, 11:43 AM
don't see the need of a scoped sks. not that it wouldn't be fun, but a scope wouldn't add any intrinseque precision to the rifle.

if it was about a dragonov, it would be for sure a different story.:shoot2:

It is nice for hunting, those irons disappear pretty easily once dusk starts setting in.

Plinker 777
01-19-2017, 11:47 AM
If you did scope your SKS what mount did you use and what scope or laser sight? Did you drill and tap or just slap it on the dust cover and say good enough?

:FP2

Lee Enfield
01-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Did my D, shot it once, became a safe queen and took it off.

glockfan
01-19-2017, 05:08 PM
It is nice for hunting, those irons disappear pretty easily once dusk starts setting in.

...you made a point...especially with my old eyes.

MarkR
01-19-2017, 06:24 PM

True, but a gob or the niece's chartreuse nail polish on the front sight helps a lot. ;)

Joshua13
01-19-2017, 07:45 PM
I have a red dot on mine and it's great for introducing people to shooting. They see this gun that looks cool and they have heard about somewhere and with the red dot it's extremely easy to shoot.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

kennymo
01-19-2017, 09:20 PM
True, but a gob or the niece's chartreuse nail polish on the front sight helps a lot. ;)

My niece isn't allowed nail polish yet, so I keep buying scopes ;).

P-B.
01-20-2017, 09:10 AM
Kenny,
It'd be cheaper if you bought Yourself some nail varnish. (And used it on the sight) :-)

Good point about hunting with iron sights, is you get to go home earlier if you're freezing your tush off!

Not scoped mine.

nelsonm64
03-15-2017, 02:51 PM
I started with a dust cover mount and, it was NOT solid enough! so I went with a Magwedge rail for my Bug Buster 3-9x

http://i.imgur.com/VkWpknG.jpg

Strewth
03-15-2017, 03:39 PM
For a red dot, I'd recommend a scout scope-type base, that replaces the rear sight. No worries about taking it off and losing zero when cleaning. Stick on a TRS-25, and have at 'er.
Or try a Williams Firesight? Fibre optic front post, aperture rear?

kennymo
03-15-2017, 03:52 PM
I started with a dust cover mount and, it was NOT solid enough! so I went with a Magwedge rail for my Bug Buster 3-9x

Nice spatula collection.

Swampdonkey
03-15-2017, 04:15 PM
From a philosophical viewpoint, I consider a scoped SKS to be akin to mules, dealcoholized beer, lowered pickups, and fake boobs.

nelsonm64
03-15-2017, 04:31 PM
Nice spatula collection.
you don't like the rifle, just the spatula's?

Swampdonkey
03-15-2017, 04:38 PM
you don't like the rifle, just the spatula's?

If you think hunting is difficult, wait until you kill something . . .

Spatulae to flip the burgers are just as important as the gun to kill the burgers, knife to skin the burgers, freezer to store the burgers, wife to make the burgers, teeth to chew the burgers . . .

Gunexpert007
03-15-2017, 05:28 PM
tagged for interest .

YVRguy
04-04-2017, 07:51 AM
You got that right. The SKS has the worst sights I've ever encountered for visibility. I actually came across this post because I'm researching alternatives like a peep sight (not the one that mounts on the very back.)

webster
04-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Did mine with a Choate mount and modded ejection port. Also found a scope with that sweet PSO-1 reticle and made myself a little Dragunov clone. It's no more accurate but way more fun. :D

Mobusten
04-04-2017, 04:54 PM
You got that right. The SKS has the worst sights I've ever encountered for visibility. I actually came across this post because I'm researching alternatives like a peep sight (not the one that mounts on the very back.)

Did you come across this?

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/sks-aluminium-rear-peep-sight/

DasMauser
04-17-2017, 05:39 PM

Just about to buy a Magwedge rail and a red dot for the girlfriend, says she doesnt shoot very much because she has to use the iron sights, we'll see.

How do you like the rail?

Malus
04-17-2017, 08:28 PM
I put a wartac on mine with a Bushnell red dot. Way better for more mature eyes. Don't care about not being able to use 5 rd stripper clips anymore. Isn't really used for tactical practice, just having fun.....

nelsonm64
06-21-2017, 02:05 PM
Just about to buy a Magwedge rail and a red dot for the girlfriend, says she doesnt shoot very much because she has to use the iron sights, we'll see.

How do you like the rail?

sorry it took so long to reply, didn't get notified... yes, i love the rail! solid as can be. modded my ejection port so the spentvrounds don't hit it. it's been great.

Lazagna
06-21-2017, 02:07 PM
sorry it took so long to reply, didn't get notified... yes, i love the rail! solid as can be. modded my ejection port so the spentvrounds don't hit it. it's been great.
What modifications are needed for the port?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

DasMauser
06-21-2017, 02:58 PM

No problem, I went ahead and picked one up anyways. Lol. You're right, they are pretty awesome! Had one stovepipe in about 500 rounds.

I've seen that mod, but im hesitant to grind away a chunk of the receiver.