PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for a beginner - it doesn't have to be scary :)

BIGJAY
08-28-2012, 12:03 PM
When I first started researching "survival and prepping" I was blown away by the amount of information out there on the web. However, I remember back to when I first started to prep I admit I was overwhelmed by it all.

The first thing you read is you need a Bug Out Bag (B.O.B.)!! So I went and bought bags and filled them with gear, supplies, food, etc. Then I thought, "where the hell am I buggin out to?". Which then lead to a million more searches and discussions and of course more planning and me being more and more overwhelmed with this giant under taking of "survivalism and prepping".

So, for the members who are thinking they want to start prepping but find it overwhelming I am hoping to help you.

To do so, let's break things down to very simple ideas, which is how I had to do it for myself. For now, let's remove the concept of Bugging Out, for two reasons. First, where are you going? Second, it brings an entire new bunch of challenges to look at. So, let's keep it simple. I want to break this down into three essential topics that we all need.

1. Water: Hydrate or die.
Scary concept, but a pretty simple one really. We need water to live. We need water more than we need food. So breaking this down to its simplest form... get water. When looking at how much water, we need to drink, cook, bath, sanitation, etc. = LOTS of water.

Also, look at getting a water purification system. The MSR Micro Filters are good, anything by Katadyn is good, Berkey, etc. Just make sure it removes contaminants such as bacteria, protozoa, viruses and silt. Do some research and get a good filter.

2. Shelter: The second thing you need in an emergency is shelter. Again, we are not bugging out in this scenario. So you need to stay warm, dry, and protected. Depending on where you live you may need certain items to make your shelter more accommodating. I live in the GTA of Ontario Canada, in the winter I need blankets, propane heaters, propane, generators, etc. You may not need those things, so think of your climate.

3. Food: most people think they need MRE's and spam when they think of survival food. Simply not true. Sure, I keep a few cases of MRE's around. However, the bulk of my preps are food that my family actually eats. We eat what we store and we store what we eat.

When most people think of stocking food, they think they have to put out thousands of dollars in one giant purchase. However, there are really some simple cost effective ways to start to store food without having to spend thousands of dollars all at once. Look for sales when you go grocery shopping. Each week plan to pick up a few extra tins of soups, veggies and fruits. Peanut butter is great so is honey and it lasts forever. I buy a lot of my canned preps, soap, supplies at the dollar store, they have a lot of items now that are great for prepping.

Imo, those are your top three needs. After that comes a lot of variables. You can look at sanitation and hygiene, first aid, communications, self-defense and protecting your environment, etc. However, for the basic start up I think keeping it simple is a good way to begin.

Please start looking at what you can afford to add each week, start stocking water and you will be amazing at how quickly it will all add up.

God Bless and stay safe. I hope this thread helps motivate you to start preppin'!

RobSmith
08-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Add whatever medication you need and I'd recommend a set of warm clothes.

Garetsu
08-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Whoa, whoa, hold on a second here.

You're telling me I need MORE then just guns, knives, and ammo for survival!?!

Haha, good post. I just recently started my prep kit, and I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I picked up some backpacking gear from MEC for my basic kit, being a good tent that packs up nice and small, same with a sleeping bag, a good pack, and then a large assortment of little fun things. I still need to pick up a good water filter, though... I grabbed some of those cheap $6/50 water purification tablets to toss in, just so I had SOMETHING in the meantime.

Still a looooong list of things I need to pick up, though... Good outdoors quick-dry clothing, a proper winter jacket, other assorted outdoor wearables, a proper medkit... And other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

JustBen
08-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Pro-tip: When out for fast food, I keep any extra packets of ketchup, jam, salt/pepper, vinegar, honey, etc. These things generally keep for quite some time, and you'll be surprised how quickly they add up when you take two or three at a time. Besides using them for prepping, they make handy items for camping and bagged lunches. Rotate your supply with regular use.

sDot
08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Is there a checklist on the board. It would be good to put something together to get a check list going so you can figure out what you need for some different lengths of time.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
08-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Third post down on this thread I listed the contents of my BOB/Survival Kit.

http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?1022-Bug-Out-Bags/page2&highlight=survival

Satain
08-28-2012, 11:29 PM
I ain't no preper but I hate it when your on the hunt dying for a drink and pull up to a creek for a drink then spend the rest of the day...
Well lets just say, WISH I HAD PEPTO!
When it comes to water...
http://www.sawyer.com/
As water tabs suck! and taste yucky:mad:
As for shelter...
Man up and always carry a big axe or knife and make your own. This is also were though's cheap shinny silver sheets come in handy besides rendering your thermo's useless.
Now for food...
Well lets just say being a hunter/fisherman will slove alot of your problems and as for ruffage watch what the wildlife in the area that you are operating in does. They will show you whats safe to eat.
;)

BIGJAY
08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
I ain't no preper but I hate it when your on the hunt dying for a drink and pull up to a creek for a drink then spend the rest of the day...
Well lets just say, WISH I HAD PEPTO!
When it comes to water...
http://www.sawyer.com/
As water tabs suck! and taste yucky:mad:
As for shelter...
Man up and always carry a big axe or knife and make your own. This is also were though's cheap shinny silver sheets come in handy besides rendering your thermo's useless.
Now for food...
Well lets just say being a hunter/fisherman will slove alot of your problems and as for ruffage watch what the wildlife in the area that you are operating in does. They will show you whats safe to eat.
;)

That is great, but if what if you live in a city? Everyone's circumstances are differrent, as are everyones needs. Being adaptable and prepared for each persons circumstances is important.

Onagoth
08-29-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm not much of a prepper, but I would consider first aid critical for two reasons

1) Local hospitals/clinics may not be operating
2) If an event gave rise to you needing to access emergency supplies, its entirely possible that event had injuries associated with it (massive tornado, earthquake, etc).

Personally, I prep for natural disasters more than any other scenario....a situation where my mobility might be non-existent.