PDA

View Full Version : Scope quality and use question.

Lazagna
01-26-2017, 12:12 PM
In my fathers things that I inherited just over a year ago, was a scope that was not mounted to anything (as well as a scope mounted to the Lee Enfield) and a brand new unfired Ruger 10/22. I know nothing about scopes and found way too much technical information on scopes when looking at YouTube so I figured I would ask here. (if you know of a good basic introduction on scopes that makes it easy to understand without getting into military and mile long shots, I'd appreciate that too).

Below is a picture of the scope in question and any information about how useful this would be by mounting it to my 10/22 would be appreciated. Also, it looks as though the O-ring is in need of replacement, is that expensive or hard to find? I've tried to find information about the scope online, but I cannot seem to identify it properly for the searches. My father has had it for many many years is about all I know about it. It has "BELL" with a box around it and 4x32 (posting pictures in the next thread as I can't seem to get it to load from my computer but I know I can do it with my phone...

Lazagna
01-26-2017, 12:13 PM

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

BrotherRockeye
01-26-2017, 01:20 PM
I had a Bell on one of my 10-22's years back.

It was a 4x wide angle with a TV screen.

iirc they are made in Japan.

A buddy of mine just had to have it so I sold it to him.

It didn't last very long on his 22-250 before it was jiggled.

Should be good for a .22

gtr
01-26-2017, 01:26 PM
The 0-ring you mention is a concern. Must have been taken apart at one time. Try it out, as not much other than that to do.

Lazagna
01-26-2017, 01:54 PM
The 0-ring you mention is a concern. Must have been taken apart at one time. Try it out, as not much other than that to do.

Can that o-ring be replaced or is it even worth trying? I don't plan to do any rainy weather shooting, so don't expect it to get wet, but one never know right? If replaceable, can I just get the right o-ring and do it myself or should I get someone qualified to do it? Is the scope even worth anything? I expect it's not as my father would not have spent too much money on anything.

gtr
01-26-2017, 01:57 PM
I would just use as is. Not a pricey unit to start with.

BrotherRockeye
01-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Screw the ocular bell off and put the o ring in the freezer for a while. It may shrink enough to work again. A dab of lube will keep it from getting picked up and stretched again when turning the ocular bell back on.

If that doesn't work buy an o ring kit from Princess Auto or the like. You want an o ring in there but the scope isn't worth going too far out of your way for.

Lazagna
01-26-2017, 02:03 PM
.... You want an o ring in there but the scope isn't worth going too far out of your way for.

I guess that in the end,that's the question answered. Not worth too much time and effort, but fiddling with it is okay.

Good enough to shoot a 10/22 at 100 to 200 yards/meters though?

Lazagna
01-26-2017, 04:19 PM
I guess that in the end,that's the question answered. Not worth too much time and effort, but fiddling with it is okay.

Good enough to shoot a 10/22 at 100 to 200 yards/meters though?
I have this 3-9 x 40 scope currently mounted on my Lee Enfield. Obviously better scope and in better condition. (I think)

Would it be worth the effort it to take it off the current rifle and put it on the 10/22? With the cost of 303 ammo, I don't expect I'll go plinking with it, and I don't hunt yet.

BrotherRockeye
01-26-2017, 07:08 PM
i would leave the scope on the .303 and run the Bell 4x on your .22

It should be just fine for that purpose.

Lazagna
01-26-2017, 07:24 PM
i would leave the scope on the .303 and run the Bell 4x on your .22

It should be just fine for that purpose.
Is that because it's not going to shoot as far as the 303 so no need to have that much power magnification?

BrotherRockeye
01-27-2017, 07:18 AM
Partly, but mostly because you may want to shoot the .303 and the scope is already mounted and probably dialed in.

it is of course up to you what you do with your scopes and rifles.

My advise is simply my opinion.

Lazagna
01-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Partly, but mostly because you may want to shoot the .303 and the scope is already mounted and probably dialed in.

it is of course up to you what you do with your scopes and rifles.

My advise is simply my opinion.
Probably not dialed in any more, I had to take it off the rail when I shipped it home.

762shooter
01-27-2017, 09:52 PM
The o-ring in the picture isn't a big deal, it is only there to jam the eyepiece bell against the lock ring. You could replace it or cut and glue it (with the right glue) or even remove it and just jam the eyepiece bell against the lock ring without too much pressure.

Lazagna
01-28-2017, 12:14 AM
The o-ring in the picture isn't a big deal, it is only there to jam the eyepiece bell against the lock ring. You could replace it or cut and glue it (with the right glue) or even remove it and just jam the eyepiece bell against the lock ring without too much pressure.
I'll try and see if I can fix it, and if not, just leave it out.

Narcoleptic
11-29-2017, 08:52 AM
If you take the o-ring out and bring it to hi-tech seals or somewhere similar, they can figure out what it is and get you a new one.

Kenwp
12-02-2017, 07:34 AM
I have a Bell scope someplace in my junk. Bought it for like 20$ at the Calgary gun show. Never worked right .