PDA

View Full Version : Selecting Scope rings for Ruger 10/22

Lazagna
02-05-2017, 10:00 AM
I have an unfired Ruger 10/22 and an old scope to mount on it. The only thing I know for certain about the scope is that it's a Bell 4x32 and I need to fix the o-ring sticking out near the eye peice.

How do I find the correct rings to mount this on the rifle? Should I bring the rifle and scope to Cabela's or Wholesale Sports and get them to do it? I'd like to do this as cheaply as
possible to keep the wife happy. I think once she gets out shooting it she'll come around to enjoying spending a little bit of money on it...

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

BrotherRockeye
02-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Buy a set of cheap aluminum 1" low rings. They should work fine with a 32mm scope.

If you want guaranteed success, and no worry about possible having to remove the rear sight, buy medium rings.

The scope will be a little higher but I'm sure you can live with that.

If you have the Ruger rail to mount on, take it with you .

Lazagna
02-05-2017, 11:12 AM
If you have the Ruger rail to mount on, take it with you .

Good idea, it's already mounted, but nothing a screwdriver won't take care of.

Lazagna
02-05-2017, 12:53 PM
So, I changed my mind about the scope for now. Instead of the 4x32 with new rings, I decided to move the scope from the Lee Enfield (for now). It's a 3-9x40 and fit the Ruger perfectly.

I know some people said to keep it there for now in case I went hunting, but I haven't taken the hunting course yet so that's unlikely for some time yet. This was also the cheapest route for now and I just have to sight it in.

Picture of the newly scoped Ruger...

BrotherRockeye
02-05-2017, 02:10 PM
There you are!

Now go burn some ammo!!! :)

Lazagna
02-05-2017, 02:23 PM
There you are!

Now go burn some ammo!!! :)
As soon as I get my orientation I'll to the range next Sunday!

BrotherRockeye
02-05-2017, 02:51 PM
orientation...
range...

yer in Alberta lad, Not Quebec City, go for a drive and find a spot to squeeze a few off.

Or are there rules I'm not aware of...that you plan to follow?

blacksmithden
02-05-2017, 03:04 PM
If you'll be going for gophers, get a set of these. I know it's amazon.com but you should be able to find them just about anywhere...this was just a quick search. You can use the scope for longer shots, and when the squeaks are practically running between your feet, you can use the factory sights.

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-1-Inch-Steel-Mounts-Ruger/dp/B000N8JV9A

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71zfrKtbacL._SL1500_.jpg

Lazagna
02-05-2017, 03:10 PM
orientation...
range...

yer in Alberta lad, Not Quebec City, go for a drive and find a spot to squeeze a few off.

Or are there rules I'm not aware of...that you plan to follow?
I've been trying, but so far cannot. Can't find a crown land map and don't know where to go and haven't had anyone to show me a spot yet. So I'm stuck with a range until such time at I can do one of the two above.

Lazagna
02-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Oh and not a good day to be on the roads today!

BrotherRockeye
02-05-2017, 05:41 PM
If you'll be going for gophers, get a set of these. I know it's amazon.com but you should be able to find them just about anywhere...this was just a quick search. You can use the scope for longer shots, and when the squeaks are practically running between your feet, you can use the factory sights.

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-1-Inch-Steel-Mounts-Ruger/dp/B000N8JV9A

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71zfrKtbacL._SL1500_.jpg

yer joking right?

I can't believe you are suggesting that ridiculous crap with out advising the need for a pillow to see through the scope.
Maybe a how to on bedding a compass into the lads stock while yer at it :p

I have a few sets of see thru rings for sale if anybody still uses that junk.

Lazagna, run what you have. Learn where yer rounds hit at what ranges and you will be fine.

Just my opinion of course.

I have set myself on fire a couple of times but have never self detonated so maybe I'm not qualified to answer... :)

blacksmithden
02-05-2017, 07:03 PM
yer joking right?

I can't believe you are suggesting that ridiculous crap with out advising the need for a pillow to see through the scope.
Maybe a how to on bedding a compass into the lads stock while yer at it :p

I have a few sets of see thru rings for sale if anybody still uses that junk.

Lazagna, run what you have. Learn where yer rounds hit at what ranges and you will be fine.

Just my opinion of course.

I have set myself on fire a couple of times but have never self detonated so maybe I'm not qualified to answer... :)

I love my see through rings for a busy gopher patch !!! I'm not saying anyone is going to win any competitions with them on there but for shooting up gophers fast, both near and far, I love em !!!! :p

kennymo
02-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Not sure what that Bell is like, but you might be just as well served by one of the inexpensive rimfire scopes that come packaged with a set of rings. If the Ruger has a dovetail under that rail, I can't recall and I've nothing but Remington's and Marlins for semi .22's....

Anyway, I've got a $50 (probably $60 or a little more these days) Bushnell 3-9x on my XT-22 and it's good 'nuff for most .22 LR purposes....

Lazagna
02-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Not sure what that Bell is like, but you might be just as well served by one of the inexpensive rimfire scopes that come packaged with a set of rings. If the Ruger has a dovetail under that rail, I can't recall and I've nothing but Remington's and Marlins for semi .22's....

Anyway, I've got a $50 (probably $60 or a little more these days) Bushnell 3-9x on my XT-22 and it's good 'nuff for most .22 LR purposes....
I don't know the difference between rail types, only that the scope I had on the 303 fit the 22 perfectly. I'll try this out and see how it goes and then try to figure out the mount types and get back to ya.

kennymo
02-05-2017, 09:06 PM
I don't know the difference between rail types, only that the scope I had on the 303 fit the 22 perfectly. I'll try this out and see how it goes and then try to figure out the mount types and get back to ya.

The 'dovetail' is a set of grooves running down the top of the receiver, approximately 3/8" apart. Many rimfires have them, and there are dedicated 'rimfire' dovetail rings to fit. I can't remember if the Ruger wears them under that rail or not. The rail is probably more solid, and those rings should fit standard rails and Weaver style mounts. The dovetail is generally good enough though, with the relatively low recoil of rimfire rounds. A buddy actually has a pair of 3/8" dovetail rings holding an old 4x to his .303 sporter, courtesy of a really interesting mounting arrangement his dad had come up with. Held zero well enough though....

blacksmithden
02-05-2017, 09:20 PM
There's no dovetail on any of the 10/22s I've ever seen. They come with a weaver style rail that's held on with 4 screws. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN those screws. The receiver is only aluminum and it's very easy to strip the threads out of the holes.

Lazagna
02-05-2017, 09:57 PM
There's no dovetail on any of the 10/22s I've ever seen. They come with a weaver style rail that's held on with 4 screws. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN those screws. The receiver is only aluminum and it's very easy to strip the threads out of the holes.
So I've read... Haven't done that I hope.

BrotherRockeye
02-05-2017, 10:43 PM
So I've read... Haven't done that I hope.

If they keep turning without getting tight, they're stripped. You'd know if it happened.

You should be fine with the Bell scope.

Don't overthink it.

Next step rounds down range.

Have fun!

SeirX
02-06-2017, 09:14 PM
First thing I learned myself on when looking at scopes and scope mounts was the difference between weaver & picatinny, and dovetail rails.

Weaver is a lot like Picatinny, but Picatinny has "military standard" measured spacing on the rail that's usually *slightly* wider and deeper than Weaver, and Weaver spacing can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Dovetail is basically an angled groove/long slot you slid the thing into and tighten up on.

Hope it helps.

Lazagna
02-07-2017, 08:23 AM
First thing I learned myself on when looking at scopes and scope mounts was the difference between weaver & picatinny, and dovetail rails.

Weaver is a lot like Picatinny, but Picatinny has "military standard" measured spacing on the rail that's usually *slightly* wider and deeper than Weaver, and Weaver spacing can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Dovetail is basically an angled groove/long slot you slid the thing into and tighten up on.

Hope it helps.
And it's certainly a weaver then.