PDA

View Full Version : 4x4/Quads/ATV's??? What Am I Looking For?

FALover
02-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Tonight I was having a conversation with the better half about how many folks are out on the ice at Cooks Bay. I mentioned all the fish huts, snowmobiles and atv's parked or scooting about. She asked if the 4x4's were good on the ice. I said they were as good as a snowmobile and as our town allows them on the road (licensed/insured) they were good for the roads and trails as well. Out of the blue she say's "we should get one"!!! WTH? Seems she thinks it would good fun and as a few of the neighbours have them, we could get involved in more social activities. Where do we go from here? What is a good entry level machine for two up riding? (or two machines)? New?Used? What makes and models are more reliable than others? Not looking for warp drive speeds or air catching power. Just a nice, comfy, reliable ride. This could be the start of something big for the two of us and it would be good to have some knowledge of whats on the market before dropping a lot of cash. Thanks up front for any and all information!

SIR VEYOR
02-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Tonight I was having a conversation with the better half about how many folks are out on the ice at Cooks Bay. I mentioned all the fish huts, snowmobiles and atv's parked or scooting about. She asked if the 4x4's were good on the ice. I said they were as good as a snowmobile and as our town allows them on the road (licensed/insured) they were good for the roads and trails as well. Out of the blue she say's "we should get one"!!! WTH? Seems she thinks it would good fun and as a few of the neighbours have them, we could get involved in more social activities. Where do we go from here? What is a good entry level machine for two up riding? (or two machines)? New?Used? What makes and models are more reliable than others? Not looking for warp drive speeds or air catching power. Just a nice, comfy, reliable ride. This could be the start of something big for the two of us and it would be good to have some knowledge of whats on the market before dropping a lot of cash. Thanks up front for any and all information!

I'd recommend the Side by Side option. Probably a Rhino. With a winch. And a set of tracks for winter. And a trailer that doubles as a people hauler. So where this goes?

kennymo
02-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Can Am has a number of two up quad options, Polaris and Arctic Cat have been making them as well I believe. I prefer the Can Am's as far as that goes.

As for side by sides, the old man has a Yamaha Rhino 700, it's not as rip snortin' roaring as some of the others but it's damn reliable and the Yamaha automatic belt drive has a great reputation. The Rhino was discontinued a few years back and replaced with the 700 Viking. We used a buddy's this past hunting season and while it seems to be a good machine, it's considerably larger than the Rhino with three across seating and won't fit in some of the narrower quad trails like the Rhino can. They've got a new machine out dubbed 'Wolverine' that's back to two seats and a smaller footprint, the 660/700 Yamaha motor has been around for a while now with few complaints....that's the direction I'm looking in....

How's your knee been? The old man has a rough set too and doesn't like throwing his leg over a quad seat these days, hence the Rhino....food for thought. Maybe ask a few neighbours for a test ride?

Zinilin
02-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Before she changes her mind. Take her to the store and look at what they have. Get the blue one is that's what she likes.
You can do research later, from your fishing hut.

FlyingHigh
02-11-2017, 06:37 PM
A side by side may fit your needs nicely, especially if you're planning on making it a couples experience. I'm not too up on the latest side by sides, so others will have to chime in there.

For quads, my favorite out of all the ones I've driven has been a Suzuki King Quad 450. Next up was the Yamaha Grizzly 450. Both handle great, have more than enough power, provide a comfortable ride and according the owners who let me ride them, have been dead nuts reliable. I don't own a quad myself, but when I decide to pull the trigger on one, those 2 will be the first ones I look at.

kennymo
02-11-2017, 06:42 PM
As far as used bikes go, Hondas, Yamahas and Suzukis scare me the least. In that order.....

gtr
02-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Can Am has a number of two up quad options, Polaris and Arctic Cat have been making them as well I believe. I prefer the Can Am's as far as that goes.

As for side by sides, the old man has a Yamaha Rhino 700, it's not as rip snortin' roaring as some of the others but it's damn reliable and the Yamaha automatic belt drive has a great reputation. The Rhino was discontinued a few years back and replaced with the 700 Viking. We used a buddy's this past hunting season and while it seems to be a good machine, it's considerably larger than the Rhino with three across seating and won't fit in some of the narrower quad trails like the Rhino can. They've got a new machine out dubbed 'Wolverine' that's back to two seats and a smaller footprint, the 660/700 Yamaha motor has been around for a while now with few complaints....that's the direction I'm looking in....

How's your knee been? The old man has a rough set too and doesn't like throwing his leg over a quad seat these days, hence the Rhino....food for thought. Maybe ask a few neighbours for a test ride?

Yamaha seems to make good organs.

FALover
02-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the input. Seems there is more choices for atv's than breakfast cereals.

BrotherRockeye
02-11-2017, 08:22 PM
I ride a Polaris and my daughters ride Hondas.

I like the older solid axle Polaris quads. Cheap parts, easy to fix and bulletproof.

What's your budget, because that's how this should start.

Suggesting a $15K ride doesn't do you much good if you only have 5k to spend.

livewire0129
02-11-2017, 09:30 PM
I recommend a good used Argo with a winch. Good year round; large footprint so you don't worry about going through the ice, and it floats if it does. Skid-steer, so it works very well with tracks. Not crazy-fast but very capable. Bench seat- so you can move your legs around (if you have trouble with your knee).

JustBen
02-11-2017, 09:42 PM
I'd get a Suzuki Samurai. Kinda part way between a jeep and a side by side. Nice and narrow too.

FALover
02-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Budget is not an issue, we have no problem with paying good money for good value. Argo's are beasts, one rumbles up the street on a regular basis with its treads. We are gravitating towards the traditional quad,400+cc all purpose machine'.

WSA
02-11-2017, 09:44 PM
I picked up a Honda Pioneer 1000 5 seater this summer. I went all in and Got a roof, windshield, hard doors, roll up windows, a heater and all the extra stuff. Cost a bundle but damn it's nice. I have a snow plow for it too, which came in handy this winter!

kennymo
02-11-2017, 09:53 PM
If there's any farmer in you, you can always check out the local John Deere dealership too....

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w534/kennymo81/Mobile%20Uploads/82DF48CA-3134-4296-B43F-A744C7A663FA_zpsqt18fa4k.jpg (http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/kennymo81/media/Mobile%20Uploads/82DF48CA-3134-4296-B43F-A744C7A663FA_zpsqt18fa4k.jpg.html)

Canuck
02-11-2017, 10:44 PM
Don't buy a Rhino. Here's why: This from my Yamaha dealer. The technology on the Rhino is 12 years (at least) old. There are newer, better, more comfortable and more powerful sxs's out there. If you are a big guy you probably won't fit (comfortably).
We had a Yamaha Grizzly 660 for about 7 years. Loved that thing. Went everywhere on it. Solid, reliable; a fun ride. Then, same as you, out of the blue my wife says, "You should get a side by side. It would be more fun and you wouldn't be turning around all the time to hear me." Whoa, wasn't expecting that. But that's what we did and it was a great idea. I am sold on Yamahas and that is what I got. The Wolverine R-Spec EPS. It's a beast with a lot of power. It has more room than the Rhino which is nice because I am 6"4 and you want a comfy ride if you're out all day. A lot more power as well. With the piggyback shocks the ride is exceptional. I installed a plow this winter and it clears snow like a tractor with the 6 foot blade. There is quite a bit of room in the box. There is also lots of room in the cab. There is a fairly large glove box; cup holders, another large storage area in the console between the seats. You can also install a large waterproof storage container under the driver's seat. Everything is easy to get at, ie. oil filter, air filter, battery, and dipstick. There are lots of accessories (but some are very pricey). I installed a LED light bar on the roof. Turns night into day and is a low drain on the battery. It's electric start only (no pull start). I bought a compact charger in case of a dead battery. Very compact and goes in my backpack. It is ideal for hunting, ice fishing, and just plain old 4 wheeling. I know it's not the only sxs out there but it's the one we decided on. YMMV.

http://i.imgur.com/N9kMHNAh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/onHu5TOh.jpg

Goes pretty much anywhere:

http://i.imgur.com/UhHWEC0h.jpg

WSA
02-11-2017, 11:22 PM
Mine looks similar to this one

http://atvillustrated.com/files/2016.honda_.pioneer1000-5.red_.front-left.parked.on-dirt-road.jpg

And the seats in the back

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/pictures/Pioneer-700-4-Accessories/dynamic/honda-pioneer-700-4-accessories-windshield-top-roof-bumper-led-lights-custom-utv-atv-side-by-side-utility-vehicle-sxs700-5.jpg-nggid045594-ngg0dyn-0x360-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.jpg

Snow plow is awesome!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Z2Syrf7gPmE/maxresdefault.jpg

Relic49
02-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Don't buy a Rhino. Here's why: This from my Yamaha dealer. The technology on the Rhino is 12 years (at least) old. There are newer, better, more comfortable and more powerful sxs's out there. If you are a big guy you probably won't fit (comfortably).
We had a Yamaha Grizzly 660 for about 7 years. Loved that thing. Went everywhere on it. Solid, reliable; a fun ride. Then, same as you, out of the blue my wife says, "You should get a side by side. It would be more fun and you wouldn't be turning around all the time to hear me." Whoa, wasn't expecting that. But that's what we did and it was a great idea. I am sold on Yamahas and that is what I got. The Wolverine R-Spec EPS. It's a beast with a lot of power. It has more room than the Rhino which is nice because I am 6"4 and you want a comfy ride if you're out all day. A lot more power as well. With the piggyback shocks the ride is exceptional. I installed a plow this winter and it clears snow like a tractor with the 6 foot blade. There is quite a bit of room in the box. There is also lots of room in the cab. There is a fairly large glove box; cup holders, another large storage area in the console between the seats. You can also install a large waterproof storage container under the driver's seat. Everything is easy to get at, ie. oil filter, air filter, battery, and dipstick. There are lots of accessories (but some are very pricey). I installed a LED light bar on the roof. Turns night into day and is a low drain on the battery. It's electric start only (no pull start). I bought a compact charger in case of a dead battery. Very compact and goes in my backpack. It is ideal for hunting, ice fishing, and just plain old 4 wheeling. I know it's not the only sxs out there but it's the one we decided on. YMMV.

http://i.imgur.com/N9kMHNAh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/onHu5TOh.jpg

Goes pretty much anywhere:

http://i.imgur.com/UhHWEC0h.jpg

Very nice machine Canuck. This would be my choice if I was to get one.I go on Wolverine forum and read lots of good things about this machine.I know everyone has their favorities but this Yamaha has a proven drive train and seems to be very relieable. I think once one goes to a SxS, they never look back.Some people even have both.Good luck OP with your search.

Frank@NorthTrail
02-12-2017, 10:42 AM
If you are going to consider a SxS, you definitely need to include the Defender from Can-Am in your shopping list. This thing is a beast but also has so many practical features and storage options! I'm in a FB group with nearly a thousand other owners, very few reports of issues outside of some minor stuff.

Love mine!

https://dkfzbq.by3301.livefilestore.com/y3mteFUzNFuiSxG06Z5a8-tTbIHbWdLS7urTPyPHQgt9vSZi47cWta36P9tQEQqIkZPavFJt R_OMkIVT5SqfyqDUI5zAOtNYAmHVcoZUJ-HhAryXwyhrjwj6XhgUQ2eMEdQCsrqcHZUXGb1pFuZcj_b_YMMH mVap3Y73_d0-0D6yCE?width=3264&height=2448&cropmode=none

https://dqfzbq.by3301.livefilestore.com/y3m7PhypNae9babBhG_LCwSXjwpQeO1Vbdr9ejyjacjW_OfMQt 4R1HW5KgvPDYLhSGfbikEUCcQgiPATn-ndxyDZltq_KxSOVmX-ZRfBHLXKhL3aMG6WbJKfHZGalW2lw4PnHx_T1eBGH15r93Sw2d NDF3aCdp835yF6PXKSU3St5w?width=3264&height=2448&cropmode=none

https://dafzbq.by3301.livefilestore.com/y3mPA24QC7mRcpMVJ14ReTBWKeD0X1pLdszlNC4ksPQLQfXguW 21Pkb5PIwCaQ-MbC9iwwNGfMYBDUC0YnbOZC0gymT-YsJUL5EtAfjWRsIn2LeYECR7SdizivQpMh4Edz2hXMxkUR0FKf UfB6SYIDPAyX2_DUtWBeTGBGcl3XQWjs?width=3264&height=2448&cropmode=none

kennymo
02-12-2017, 01:09 PM
I looked at a Defender, seems like a much more useful machine than the Commander, which strikes me as mostly for driving fast.

ilikemoose
02-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Two years ago I got a brand new Yamaha 350 for $7200 taxes included, and while its not the fastest or most powerful machine out there its a great quad for trails, and of course hunting.

For the price of one of those SxS machines, which can get pretty expensive you could get two entry level machines.

FALover
02-12-2017, 05:13 PM
Two years ago I got a brand new Yamaha 350 for $7200 taxes included, and while its not the fastest or most powerful machine out there its a great quad for trails, and of course hunting.

For the price of one of those SxS machines, which can get pretty expensive you could get two entry level machines.

That is my thought as well. That and the missus has control issues. I would never get to drive!

Northshore
02-12-2017, 05:48 PM
I would love to get a new quad as well. The only thing is I have a 1985 Honda Big Red three wheeler that I bought brand new and even though the bike has thousands of hours on it it still runs and drives great.

I have only changed the oil, spark plugs, oil filter and battery in all those years, and the rear tires. I use it on my hunting property to mainly pull a 200 pound harrow to keep all my trails clear of vegetation, as well as other hauling jobs. I even use it to move my camper trailer around.

I tell my wife the day it dies I will drive to the big city and come back with a Honda four wheeler, I don't know if Honda's are still built as well as this machine but I must say I am in my mid fifties and have owned all kinds of things with internal combustion engines and the reliability of the Honda surpasses anything else I have owned except for my chain saw.

kennymo
02-12-2017, 06:29 PM
I would love to get a new quad as well. The only thing is I have a 1985 Honda Big Red three wheeler that I bought brand new and even though the bike has thousands of hours on it it still runs and drives great.

I have only changed the oil, spark plugs, oil filter and battery in all those years, and the rear tires. I use it on my hunting property to mainly pull a 200 pound harrow to keep all my trails clear of vegetation, as well as other hauling jobs. I even use it to move my camper trailer around.

I tell my wife the day it dies I will drive to the big city and come back with a Honda four wheeler, I don't know if Honda's are still built as well as this machine but I must say I am in my mid fifties and have owned all kinds of things with internal combustion engines and the reliability of the Honda surpasses anything else I have owned except for my chain saw.

They still seem to be fairly robust, though we'll have to see how some of their newer automatic shifting transmissions hold up long term. The father in law just parted with his 2005 Rubicon 500, many thousands of hard miles guiding and hauling bear bait in the Duck Mountains and puttering around his farm, very few repairs... It looked a hair rough with some scratches up plastic and duct tape where a bear chewed on the seat but still drove like new. It even survived the kids next door accidentally filling the tank with diesel (never keep yer diesel in a red can, some people don't know to sniff it first) and trying to take it for a rip.

FALover
02-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Many years ago I had a Yamaha Tri-moto. Best little machine ever. If trikes were still produced I would junp on one in a heartbeat.

BrotherRockeye
02-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Honda still makes good rigs but there ES stuff is problematic.

My buddy bought a brand new 2015 model year Polaris 500 with all the goodies for a song when the 2016's came out. iirc he saved a couple k off the sticker price.
He was originally looking Can Am but they were a lot more money.
Find what you want then wait for the inventory clear out sales to happen.
(I guess they are probably in full swing right now...Feb 2017... :Bang head: )
You should be able to get a couple of good quads for the price of a good side by side if prices haven't changed much.

magnumsmith
02-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Years ago I purchased an Arctic Cat TRV - two seater front and back - for the wife and I. Works great and still use it. It was on sale at the time and was the best bargain.

hallsy88
02-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Totally biased opinion here but i picked up a new old stock arctic cat 550 xt 2 years ago and it has done everything i have asked it. Threw a 2 up seat on it and it hauls me and the old lady around without a problem although not at any "record" speeds. if its your first i would recommend something in the 500-700 cc range and either NOS or easily used one. My little 550 works just fine and hauls a** when it needs too. no need for a 1000 cc monster unless your into that thing and price range lol

WSA
02-13-2017, 12:57 AM
I went for the SXS over an ATV because I don't go on narrow trails anyway, I can carry 5 people including the driver if I want, I have more room for cargo than a ATV, and when it's pissing rain outside I roll up the window and turn on the heater. And if the missus is a control freak that wants to drive, heck, let her! I'll sit in the passenger seat and sip beer!

Receipt
03-08-2017, 08:18 AM
Footshift Honda. Thank me in twenty years with a bottle and some pictures of it being used for what its intended not at dealership or clean as a whistle parked along some 'nasty trail'.

road kill
03-08-2017, 09:41 AM
I have a Polaris sxs, great for what we use it for, fencing, herding, and going with the dog for a good run. Needs a windshield though for the colder weather, the box on the back is great for hauling a lot of stuff around the farm.

Swampdonkey
03-08-2017, 11:13 PM
There's a ton of potential variety out there, and as in all physics, everything is a trade-off.

Power/manual steering, air/water cooling, 2/4 stroke, 2/4wd, EFI/Carburetor, live axle/IRS, engine size, and all other options all have good and bad aspects. Newer is not necessarily better.

I don't own a quad, I don't like riding them, and my hunting vehicular preference is either a motorcycle or half-ton pickup. Quads aren't as cheap or mobile as a dirtbike, and can't haul bears like a truck. I found it hard to adjust from motorcycle geometry and dynamics to a quad.

ilikemoose
03-09-2017, 03:23 PM
For whatever reason, Craigslist has been filled with really solid deals on quads lately.

Swampdonkey
05-01-2017, 09:19 PM
For whatever reason, Craigslist has been filled with really solid deals on quads lately.

Because everyone's broke. Guns are going cheap too.

Eddmac
05-02-2017, 12:32 PM
3 years ago, when I first moved to Canada, I bought a 2008 CFMoto CF500A.
Yes it's a chinese quad and loads of people wouldnt touch them, but I paid $1600 for it and it hasnt missed a beat.
It's 4x4/2x4 selectable, locking diffs, full two seater, has a built-in winch, full lights, indicators, horn etc. very comfortable and fast enough for us.

I would like to change it to a Yamaha Wolverine - but really the CF Moto just keeps going strong.

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad141/eddmccool/17458300_10212251032976201_1051717346258316377_n.j pg