PDA

View Full Version : Bought an SKS and still hate the SKS.

Pages : [1] 2

Petamocto
02-12-2017, 11:39 AM
I have long held the belief that the SKS was a POS that I didn't want. Having shot a friend's before, I identified the following:

Pros
- Cheap ammo
- Low price rifle
- Little recoil

Cons
- Heavy for what it is
- Looks wonky
- Can't get over the clunky way its built
- Accuracy not good enough
- Doesn't fit right (short pull)

That said, enough recent threads have come out to convince me that I should get one, which I did (1951r), and I bought the ATI Strikeforce folding stock which I thought was the best alternative.

My entire day today has been completely ruined by this POS, and I hate it more than ever.

Trying to disassemble the thing I found about half of the parts did not fit properly, and that's me being generous. I get this this is a low-cost mass-produced battle rifle, but my frustration metre is off the charts due to the amount of hammering, bending, and smashing I have done to this thing.

By far the worst issue so far was the little wooden part on top. After raising the little lever near the elevation, the assembly seemed to come off no problem. However, the little disassembly pin would not come out at all. Fast forward an hour, and that wood piece is now broken, and a lot of parts are bent and fit together even worse. The I had to glue the plastic top cover into place because the end caps are now bent, and now the lever thing beside the windage won't go down all the way.

There is one issue that is ATI's fault and not the SKS's fault, and that's the part about the pistol grip not fitting properly unless you Dremel a lot out. If you don't do that, the trigger assembly won't click into place, and the entire action sits loosely and can fall right out.

So now I have to go to Home Depot to get different Dremel attachments, and then after another hour it may be back together with many parts bent, and others being held in place with hot glue.

I gave this thing an honest to goodness chance, and I woke up in a good mood looking to swap the stocks around. I now hate it so through-and-through that I can't wait to get it together just so I can beat the sh!t out of it on purpose. As I wrote in an earlier thread, this gun is going to be the lightning rod of my collection, and I will now take great satisfaction in abusing it.

Conclusion: **** the SKS. **** the SKS's mother, **** the SKS's father, **** the SKS's kids and pets, **** people who like and support the SKS. I should have just forked over the extra cash to buy a slightly-better-made CZ/VZ.

JustBen
02-12-2017, 11:43 AM
In mother Russia, SKS hates you!

glockfan
02-12-2017, 11:44 AM
:lol

Zinilin
02-12-2017, 11:48 AM
My entire day today has been completely ruined by this POS, and I hate it more than ever.

Trying to disassemble the thing I found about half of the parts did not fit properly, and that's me being generous

So now I have to go to Home Depot to get different Dremel attachments, and then after another hour it may be back together with many parts bent, and others being held in place with hot glue.

But you're not going to sell it.
You sound a bit like a Ducati owner.

Lee Enfield
02-12-2017, 11:51 AM
They are somewhat crude but overall great for throwing lead down range. Accurate, well not great but the one we use on a regular basis is not bad. If you are expecting MOA you shouldn't have bought one and you know that. They were designed to hit something out to around 300 ++ yards and they will do that on a regular basis. The one we use has fired many thousands of rounds and functions as it was intended.

They are what they were designed for, easy maintenance, durable and good enough to kill the enemy!

TapRoot
02-12-2017, 11:53 AM
I fully agree, getting into firearms everyone was always raving about the SKS as a great first rifle..I shot a few of my friends and hated everything about it, I figured for $150 (on-sale at the time) why not?
So I bought one and dumped a good 1500 rounds through it, hating every single shot. I sold it for $200 a few months later so I wasnt that sad about it but ill always remember the time I chucked it into the woods in frustration and so when I see people group buying or talking about it and Im about to wonder if I should add another one to my locker, I remember that moment of it being air borne and the feeling of relief. I would have left it there but obviously I couldnt.

I ended up buying a VZ58 and couldnt be happier, same goes for having a cheap AR and finally selling it to buy a Daniel Defense, Best decision I ever made in rifle purchases.

Dewey Cox
02-12-2017, 11:58 AM
HULK SMASH SKS

glockfan
02-12-2017, 12:05 PM
from my point of view, an sks is only a SITF rifle. no point of shooting it at the range. assuming it's used with non corrosive ammo, it's a hell of a great suppression shooter that can last for long,long hours of intense ''work''' ; in this particular scenario , my opinion is it must be paired along with an AR OR a precision bolt action for the accurate work lol.

Steveo9mm
02-12-2017, 12:20 PM
this is why you check out the gun before buying lol

Haywire1
02-12-2017, 12:32 PM
So your aftermarket stock requiring a crapton of work to fit the sks, is the sks fault? Its a 3 moa carbine built by russians to be used by illiterate and poorly trained peasants. Its rugged, overbuilt and reliable, but an ar it isnt.

Sadosubliminal
02-12-2017, 12:35 PM
and I bought the ATI Strikeforce folding stock which I thought was the best alternative.

Well there's your problem.

I'm kidding! But you should have shot it "as is" first. Maybe stuck a butt pad on it to increase LOP. Mine shoot OK for what they are. I did tacti-crap one of them with a Tapco stock because of reasons, and it took about half an hour to take apart and replace the stock. Did you watch any videos on how to get the pins out and/or other stock change vids? Maybe you were hammering the pins in the wrong direction, they are tapered. Might have saved some damage to your rifle.

All the same, I agree that they do make good rifles for purging frustrations (read: abuse the crap out of them).

greywolf67nt
02-12-2017, 01:16 PM
I bought the ATI Strikeforce folding stock which I thought was the best alternative.

My son and I bought ours the same day. The day and a half he wasted putting his into the ATI I spent throwing bullets down range.
The fifth round of every magazine just pops right out. Screws keep working their way out (hope you lock tighted everything).
Fast forward 2 years and his is back to original because he likes the way mine shoots.

Gunexpert007
02-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Sometimes the more things you own , the bigger hassle it is.....

GonZo
02-12-2017, 01:23 PM
I had an ati stock on mine for awhile. I had no problem with installing it. But i do know your frustration as i didnt really like the stock anymore and went back to wood, sold and installed the stock on a buddies sks. I spent 2 hours trying to get that fricken pin out of the gas tube and gave up. I had a spare broken norinco sks around and ended up using its gas tube.

Some advice on fitment for the tube if you are having trouble getting it to lock in place a file on the slanted edge of the gas tube helps make it a lot easier to lock in place fully.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

kennymo
02-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Lol, you're doing it wrong. The SKS is dirt simple. Go out and shoot it, leave the pins where they're at. The hand guard pin on the gas tube was never intended to be removed under normal service. I found both ends seemed almost peened on mine, tap it a little one way and smooth the end out with a dremel, then drive it back in the other direction. Worked for me anyhow....

TheHydrant
02-12-2017, 01:41 PM
I do find my SKS unbearably nose heavy after replacing the stock with one of those tapco POS. I ended up going back to its original form long ago and have never looked back. Nothing wrong with aftermarket goodies...but as the old adage goes, if it ain't broke......
I also appreciate the authentic SKS's as much as the next guy but to be perfectly honest I really enjoy my Chinese knock off as well. Super cheap and all of the parts match and fit properly. The stock is hideous though. Feels like balsa and it's sort of Orange colour. (blech) Above all else, it works and isn't finicky at all.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Likeaboss
02-12-2017, 02:04 PM
So your aftermarket stock requiring a crapton of work to fit the sks, is the sks fault? Its a 3 moa carbine built by russians to be used by illiterate and poorly trained peasants. Its rugged, overbuilt and reliable, but an ar it isnt.
I agree, if you bought an SKS with plans to change anything such as an ATI stock going in, you've already made the wrong choice.

Deuce-deuce
02-12-2017, 02:29 PM
My guess is it's the operator not the rifle.

Petamocto
02-12-2017, 03:04 PM
No I'm not blaming the SKS because the pistol grip needed a Drexel. That is on ATI, like I wrote.

The other 99 faults are all on the POS SKS, though.

As I wrote, I look forward to releasing frustration against this thing.

Every new shooter I bring on the range is getting this thing for an hour after the 22.

I will likely be making a clip (magazine?) of me burning the OEM stock in my wood stove, too. At least that will add something to the list of no things the SKS is good for.

kennymo
02-12-2017, 03:17 PM
I'd save the stock. Plenty of guys regret throwing them into plastic fantastics. I have one in an old ATI, but I've kept the rest wood. It's a great stock, LOP aside. But it was intended to be used with a heavy wool coat or parka in winter warfare....

road kill
02-12-2017, 03:24 PM
My exact sentiments about Lee Enfields. I will never buy another LE, I do have a SKS though.

Petamocto
02-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Kennymo, I still like it far more with the ATI stock than the OEM wood one. The pistol grip is nice and rubberized, and the butt folds for storage.

Installing it was a PITA (due to faults of both the SKS and ATI), but the end product is worth it. I'm now in for about $425 so I can tolerate that. Its sole purpose in life is to accept abuse, though.

I can never see myself choosing this rifle to take out to the woods over other NR options

RobertMcC
02-12-2017, 03:58 PM
No I'm not blaming the SKS because the pistol grip needed a Drexel. That is on ATI, like I wrote.

The other 99 faults are all on the POS SKS, though.

As I wrote, I look forward to releasing frustration against this thing.

Every new shooter I bring on the range is getting this thing for an hour after the 22.

I will likely be making a clip (magazine?) of me burning the OEM stock in my wood stove, too. At least that will add something to the list of no things the SKS is good for.

POS. But did it go bang everytime you pulled the trigger? Its a SKS you paid less then 200$ for, are you expecting a H&H quality?

lutherieguy
02-12-2017, 05:47 PM
I bedded mine at the front and rear of the main pocket, changed to wolff springs, and stoned the sear/hammer contact points.. I can get 4 inch groups from a sandbag at 140 yards using those sh*tty stock iron sights (on a low glare day :))... This is a Chinese military variety circa 1966 firing 1980's vintage Chinese ammo. It has its shortcomings, but IMHO is the best rifle you can get for $200 CAN, hands down. Unless there is a rifle I don't know about??

Petamocto
02-12-2017, 05:59 PM
I'm certainly not rich, but I'm comfortable enough to say that I'm not struggling to put $200-$400 together for a gun.

My problem with the SKS is that I have bought guns for this much that were just as fun, but also well-made. Yes they are 22LR, but to me the deal breaker with the SKS is not just that it's not exemplary, it truly is terrible.

Of course I understand that it's not going to be an amazing gun, and I would be more than happy with a "just okay" gun. But it's not even "just okay", though, it is actually a very terrible gun. Yes it goes bang when you pull the trigger, but that is no excuse to be this poorly made.

I have sworn a jihad against the SKS that can not be undone. I have seen things stripping and disassembling this gun that can not be justified at all, and there is no excuse for it, even if the gun is cheap.

RobertMcC
02-12-2017, 06:08 PM
I'm certainly not rich, but I'm comfortable enough to say that I'm not struggling to put $200-$400 together for a gun.

My problem with the SKS is that I have bought guns for this much that were just as fun, but also well-made. Yes they are 22LR, but to me the deal breaker with the SKS is not just that it's not exemplary, it truly is terrible.

Of course I understand that it's not going to be an amazing gun, and I would be more than happy with a "just okay" gun. But it's not even "just okay", though, it is actually a very terrible gun. Yes it goes bang when you pull the trigger, but that is no excuse to be this poorly made.

I have sworn a jihad against the SKS that can not be undone. I have seen things stripping and disassembling this gun that can not be justified at all, and there is no excuse for it, even if the gun is cheap.

And AK's are not any better. Its a Russian designed war time gun, meant to work in all conditions, they were never pretty, and tolerances were sloppy. What made them work so well.

Swampdonkey
02-12-2017, 06:14 PM
POS. But did it go bang everytime you pulled the trigger? Its a SKS you paid less then 200$ for, are you expecting a H&H quality?

He did buy it after hearing the GOC choir extoll praises about the magnificence of the SKS.

I still love my SKS. Must be my deplorable taste.

RobertMcC
02-12-2017, 06:24 PM
He did buy it after hearing the GOC choir extoll praises about the magnificence of the SKS.

I'll pick up a SKS D if I can find one at a good price.

Ruff
02-12-2017, 06:34 PM
In mother Russia, SKS hates you!

In Communist Soviet Union, SKS join you.

Dewey Cox
02-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Basically, you spent a day tearing it down, and smashed it to pieces in the process?
I feel safe in saying this isn't the norm.
Though, it was made to be taken down by illiterate conscripted peasants, so it might be too complicated for you to figure out. ;)

SIR VEYOR
02-12-2017, 07:01 PM
I bedded mine at the front and rear of the main pocket, changed to wolff springs, and stoned the sear/hammer contact points.. I can get 4 inch groups from a sandbag at 140 yards using those sh*tty stock iron sights (on a low glare day :))... This is a Chinese military variety circa 1966 firing 1980's vintage Chinese ammo. It has its shortcomings, but IMHO is the best rifle you can get for $200 CAN, hands down. Unless there is a rifle I don't know about??

Beretta CX Storm, lol

SIR VEYOR
02-12-2017, 07:05 PM

Get in your basket! Think about what you've done did! (For the grammar nuzzles)

SIR VEYOR
02-12-2017, 07:13 PM
I'll pick up a SKS D if I can find one at a good price.

They were what?
$300 initially,
Up to $1000-1500 until recently,
And what now with the newer arrivals showing up?

A guys selling Russian SKSs that he converted to AK mags a few years ago. Not sure if he still is though...

RobertMcC
02-12-2017, 07:19 PM
They were what?
$300 initially,

A guys selling Russian SKSs that he converted to AK mags a few years ago. Not sure if he still is though...

There should be one in Pops forgotten locker.

Petamocto
02-12-2017, 07:31 PM
I certainly would have bought the SKS-D in a heartbeat if they were reasonable, but after working on this 1951 POS, I'm not convinced the D would have been worth it just to have a Mag option.

For that kind of money it would have been better just to go to the CZ/VZ so it wasn't made by retarded gorillas.

CZ makes great stuff, Russian CCCP makes sh!t.

RobertMcC
02-12-2017, 07:51 PM
I certainly would have bought the SKS-D in a heartbeat if they were reasonable, but after working on this 1951 POS, I'm not convinced the D would have been worth it just to have a Mag option.

For that kind of money it would have been better just to go to the CZ/VZ so it wasn't made by retarded gorillas.

CZ makes great stuff, Russian CCCP makes sh!t.

So you hate SKS, but would buy a SKS D?

And you smashed the crap out of it and then wonder why it doesn't fit..

tigrr
02-12-2017, 08:03 PM
I love my SKS too. 1957 tula. 8 inch group at 200 yards. You must have bought the yellow one(ie lemon).

Petamocto
02-12-2017, 08:39 PM
So you hate SKS, but would buy a SKS D? And you smashed the crap out of it and then wonder why it doesn't fit..

Oh my goodness, where to start. First, yes I would have bought a mag-based SKS-D if it had been slightly more money, but for some reason the market had it at 3x the regular POS SKS value, so I'll have to pass. What I was getting at is that I would have spent $250 on a D compared to $225 on a regular SKS, but ultimately they're all junk.

Next, my point is that I should not have to smash the hell out of anything, but that's how poorly an SKS is made that you have no choice. It's a POS. Period.

RobertMcC
02-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Oh my goodness, where to start. First, yes I would have bought a mag-based SKS-D if it had been slightly more money, but for some reason the market had it at 3x the regular POS SKS value, so I'll have to pass. What I was getting at is that I would have spent $250 on a D compared to $225 on a regular SKS, but ultimately they're all junk.

Next, my point is that I should not have to smash the hell out of anything, but that's how poorly an SKS is made that you have no choice. It's a POS. Period.

I never had to smash anything. Then again I didn't put mine in ATI crap.. Only SKS I smashed. Was against a tree to prove you cannot kill them.

Well you were bias against them before buying one.

DILLIGAF
02-12-2017, 09:03 PM
I hate both my SKS and SKS-D thats why I have a Cz858

M39
02-12-2017, 09:04 PM

Well an AR came from the M16 and the sks did defeat the M16 in Vietnam. And would have defeated the AR now in the jungle too. I love the SKS. I have a bunch. They work great as long as you don't put any aftermarket crap on it.

Petamocto
02-12-2017, 09:39 PM
OMG, are we seriously entertaining arguments that the SKS outperforms the AR platform?

Maybe that's why Russia won the Cold War and every conflict from Korea to Syria.

FFS, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I'm pretty sure that NATO in 2017 would have utilized the SKS platform by now if it were better in any calibre.

Dewey Cox
02-12-2017, 10:04 PM
This thread prompted me to go downstairs and tell my SKS's I love them. And that no one will hurt them.

Lee Enfield
02-12-2017, 11:20 PM
OMG, are we seriously entertaining arguments that the SKS outperforms the AR platform?

Maybe that's why Russia won the Cold War and every conflict from Korea to Syria.

I'm pretty sure that NATO in 2017 would have utilized the SKS platform by now if it were better in any calibre.

Sorry I am unable to know if you are taking crazy pills but don't kid yourself the SKS is a great gun, tough as nails and more than adequate at keeping the enemy's head down.

We have 5, shoot only one and it is more than capable of hitting a clay pigeon at 100 yards once you get used to it. Is it the quality of a AR, no but bet it would be a better post pounder than any AR and still function. I wouldn't want anyone taking a poke at me at 300 yards as dollars to donuts they would hit me. Our shooter has many thousands of rounds down the pipe and still as accurate as when we got it.

They are inexpensive (going up in price this year) function even when filthy and getting hit with a 123gr+ bullet is going to hurt one heck of a lot more than a 55gr.

Is it as accurate as my son's SP1, nope but I can buy 5 for the price of the Colt and guarantee the five will outlast the Colt no matter how I abuse them.

PS, Russia lost the cold war over ECONOMICS.

WSA
02-13-2017, 12:36 AM
If you would have spent the money you did on the stock on a High Tech aperture sight and a buttpad extender instead of the ATI, you would have a fun carbine that shoots reasonably well. These are real, effective upgrades, unlike the ATI stock, which doesn't really doesn't add much to function.

By far the worst issue so far was the little wooden part on top. After raising the little lever near the elevation, the assembly seemed to come off no problem. However, the little disassembly pin would not come out at all

That's because the wooden upper handguard and the pin holding the end pieces on was never intended to be removed. Removing it to install an aftermarket guard can be a real pain in the a$$ since it isn't supposed to come off. All your complaints you listed are all due to the ATI stock, nothing to do with the SKS. The ATI parts didn't fit because they aren't custom fitted to every SKS, that's your job to fit them to the rifle.

Your misery seems to be of your own doing.

M39
02-13-2017, 01:00 AM
Why did you post this stuff anyway just to get us sks owners going? I'm going to go give my sks's a hug.

Petamocto
02-13-2017, 03:36 AM
Why did you post this stuff anyway just to get us sks owners going? I'm going to go give my sks's a hug.

I will admit that it's somewhat tongue in cheek, but yesterday was a very frustrating day. Guns are supposed to be fun and enjoyable, yet that thing caused me more grief than any other gun I've had.

P-B.
02-13-2017, 09:11 AM
I'm still a bit confused, Petamoco;

You managed to bend, twist and generally wreck the gun getting it apart, when there is No need for strong-arm methods, ..and it's the Rifles fault??

They come apart very easily and simply, Apart from top handguard. They are Much better left in their original stock though.
Thought went into it, doncha' know? :-)

Cheers,
Richard.

Petamocto
02-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Yes it is the gun's fault when it can not be disassembled properly.

The upper hand guard is supposed to be able to come off.

You might like the original stock more, but I don't. Too short length of pull, and the wrist angle is terrible. I don't need a pistol grip, but I need something that doesn't feel like my wrist is cranked forward.

I'm quite happy with the ATI that I got, though. Yes it should have fit a Russian SKS better, but now that it's on I'm happy with it. Very comfortable, folding butt, etc. Definitely worth the money to improve it.

However, putting syrup on sh!t does not make it pancakes.

Zeegler
02-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Mine's a 1950 Tula, and everything comes apart easily as it is supposed to. The hand guard doesn't need to be disassembled by the user, and that's why it has peened pins that are not easily removable. It seems to me that if you hammered the hell out of it and bent parts, then it's a case of hamfistedness, and a lack of patience and mechanical aptitude more than anything.

kennymo
02-13-2017, 01:10 PM
The upper hand guard is supposed to be able to come off.

Well....sort of. It was never intended to be pulled in the field, more of an armoury job. And there's a way to do it other than whaling away mercilessly....

M39
02-13-2017, 03:58 PM

So you think the AR won the Cold War? How many AR's were in combat against Russia? I'm rolling my eyeballs.

M39
02-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Me personally would not want an AR, in combat. I was talking to a ex Canadian sniper at a wedding and he told me the old FN is far superior to the AR PLATFORM. He said you could beat the piss out of an FN and it would shoot perfect. The AR round and system is crap.

shootemup604
02-13-2017, 04:44 PM
I disagree, and that's for another thread.

However, I own a Chinese SKS, in a Tapco stock. Installed in about 30 mins, and looks better than the orange wood furniture, and rings a 12x12" gong at 100 meters every time. Good enough for me. I bought it with a case of surplus Czech ammo about 10 years ago, and I'm now working on a second case of the same. Cheap, reliable, and moderately accurate. With the Tapco stock it cost me less than $300, and my first case of 1440 rounds was $179 I think. Can't go wrong, even with the corrosive ammo, just field strip and pour boiling water over the parts - they flash dry, then lube and reassemble.

Petamocto
02-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Me personally would not want an AR, in combat. I was talking to a ex Canadian sniper at a wedding and he told me the old FN is far superior to the AR PLATFORM. He said you could beat the piss out of an FN and it would shoot perfect. The AR round and system is crap.

1. Everyone who served in the Army for six months and was discharged for any multitude of reasons will start a story with "When I was a sniper in the Army...". Ask your friend if he has ever been in charge of the Small Arms portfolio for the entire military.

2. The FN is nowhere close to as good as the modern AR family, but I will grant you that it has its lovers who will defend it religiously. The FAL is definitely not junk like the SKS is, but a modern AR will run circles around it. We won't get into the calibre argument on this thread, but it has been proven 1,000,000 times that the average soldier performs better and is more lethal with 5.56 than 7.62, taken in context with all other firepower enablers in today's Army. If you were a lone wolf then fill your boots and get a 7.62-based AR.

Bubba Yugga
02-13-2017, 06:01 PM
If you treat the pin holding the handguard/gastube assembly together as a rivet, things get very simple.
Get a properly sized drill bit, pin punch and drill down into one end until the formed head has been removed.
Then drift it out.
Replace with a solid aluminum rivet (NAS1097AD3-8 would do) and it'll be a lot easier to remove next time than the original steel one.
The only acceptable aftermarket stocks IMHO are the Archangel Opfor and Timbersmith laminates, depending on taste.
All others are flimsy and open up your groups.
For light weight and good balance, stick with the original solid birch stock and put away the bayonet.

Deuce-deuce
02-13-2017, 06:30 PM
1. Everyone who served in the Army for six months and was discharged for any multitude of reasons will start a story with "When I was a sniper in the Army...". Ask your friend if he has ever been in charge of the Small Arms portfolio for the entire military.

2. The FN is nowhere close to as good as the modern AR family, but I will grant you that it has its lovers who will defend it religiously. The FAL is definitely not junk like the SKS is, but a modern AR will run circles around it. We won't get into the calibre argument on this thread, but it has been proven 1,000,000 times that the average soldier performs better and is more lethal with 5.56 than 7.62, taken in context with all other firepower enablers in today's Army. If you were a lone wolf then fill your boots and get a 7.62-based AR.

Are you claiming you're in charge of the Canadian military's "small arms portfolio"? It concerned me when you posted about looking to sell some guns to raise funds for the army... But if you're claiming what I think you're claiming and you can't change the stock on an sks with out issue I have fear for Canada's safety. Big time.

Sinbad
02-13-2017, 06:46 PM
I fully agree, getting into firearms everyone was always raving about the SKS as a great first rifle..I shot a few of my friends and hated everything about it, I figured for $150 (on-sale at the time) why not?
So I bought one and dumped a good 1500 rounds through it, hating every single shot. I sold it for $200 a few months later so I wasnt that sad about it but ill always remember the time I chucked it into the woods in frustration and so when I see people group buying or talking about it and Im about to wonder if I should add another one to my locker, I remember that moment of it being air borne and the feeling of relief. I would have left it there but obviously I couldnt.

I ended up buying a VZ58 and couldnt be happier, same goes for having a cheap AR and finally selling it to buy a Daniel Defense, Best decision I ever made in rifle purchases.

So you bought a 60 year old SKS put 1500 rounds of cheap ammo through it beat it up by throwing it in the bush and still made $50 bucks on it. Your problem is ???

Just think if you didn't put 1500 through it you could have sold the ammo too or used it in the new rifle that you paid 5 times the price for.

Yep your problems are great.

Petamocto
02-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Hey, enough of you crazy people defending this sh!tty rifle on my thread, please!

There are all sorts of "Man, I love my SKS" threads, so go spread your good vibes there.

This thread is for people who have actually experienced well-made guns and accept the SKS for the POS it is.

RobertMcC
02-13-2017, 07:36 PM
Hey, enough of you crazy people defending this sh!tty rifle on my thread, please!

There are all sorts of "Man, I love my SKS" threads, so go spread your good vibes there.

This thread is for people who have actually experienced well-made guns and accept the SKS for the POS it is.

What other guns do you own? Any norcs?

Dewey Cox
02-13-2017, 07:54 PM

I can accept that you think you're too "uptown" for the sks, but to say that it's a POS just isn't the truth.
So stop saying that.

Doug_M
02-13-2017, 08:09 PM

At under $200 it is a fun gun, not a POS (your personal experience with it is not the norm). Over $200 and its value diminishes as the price goes up.

glockfan
02-13-2017, 08:12 PM
I can accept that you think you're too "uptown" for the sks, but to say that it's a POS just isn't the truth.
So stop saying that.

...the sks worth some love for what it is ; a good gun for suppression firing. not meant for absolute accuracy even at mid range. in combat condition ,the great set up would see couple sks supporting AR's and bolt actions which would take care of specific targets and work requiring accuracy in the shots.

otherwise, since i'm not into throwing lead downrange without some sort of fine accuracy to challenge myself with, i dont see a point of shooting it at the range otherwise than on occasions.

Sinbad
02-13-2017, 08:13 PM

In all fairness millions around 60 years later they can't be that shitty. It's not my favorite by any means but it's stood the test of time.

TheGreatBeard
02-13-2017, 08:21 PM
I can take down an SKS and put it back together with my eyes closed. No joke. I have never had any problems with it, but then again I never tried to put an aftermarket stock on it. They have never interested me and if you did a bit of research you would have found others that had problems with aftermarket parts. This has absolutely nothing to do with the gun! Do you really think that in the 1940's, the designers of the SKS were thinking of how they can make it better for someone 60 years later who wants to put plastic parts on it?

infidel29
02-13-2017, 08:26 PM
They were what?
$300 initially,

And funnily enough sks-d's were built with the sks throwaway parts from china, they were not meant for export.

infidel29
02-13-2017, 08:30 PM
If you treat the pin holding the handguard/gastube assembly together as a rivet, things get very simple.
Get a properly sized drill bit, pin punch and drill down into one end until the formed head has been removed.
Then drift it out.
Replace with a solid aluminum rivet (NAS1097AD3-8 would do) and it'll be a lot easier to remove next time than the original steel one.
The only acceptable aftermarket stocks IMHO are the Archangel Opfor and Timbersmith laminates, depending on taste.
All others are flimsy and open up your groups.
For light weight and good balance, stick with the original solid birch stock and put away the bayonet.

To be honest, I don't like the archangel. When my friend stocked it in his business we found it a hard sell. I prefer the tapco or the synthetic monte carlo stock.

Ballsofice
02-13-2017, 09:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYV-qYeWPkk

infidel29
02-13-2017, 09:31 PM
see? Operator error, not the sks' fault.

Gunexpert007
02-13-2017, 11:59 PM
I have four SKSs , and have never had an issue.....but that's just me . :Beer time:

Swampdonkey
02-14-2017, 12:16 AM
To be honest, I don't like the archangel. When my friend stocked it in his business we found it a hard sell. I prefer the tapco or the synthetic monte carlo stock.

I got an SKS from and old man as a parts gun. Not sure where he stored it, but it was brutally rusted and clogged, like he buried it without packing and then dug it up (I can only imagine).

I actually got it shooting again, despite the pitting everywhere, but the buttstock was rotten beyond saving. I ended up buying a basic plastic stock that's just a little bit longer than arsenal standard, which I find to be a real improvement.

Like cars and women, guns are best at their factory original. Trying to make them into something they weren't meant to be is rarely effective.

Doug_M
02-14-2017, 06:04 AM
In all fairness millions around 60 years later they can't be that shitty. It's not my favorite by any means but it's stood the test of time.

Actually, in fairness to Petamocto's argument re mil service, the SKS had a very very brief service life in front line use. It was then relegated to police use, guards (ceremonial and otherwise). It may have been a game changer (or not) if it were introduced into service say in 1943 or 44. But it wasn't and was quickly replaced. Like I said, at $200 or less it is a fun gun. If you are going to war or are a prepper dreaming of TEOTWAWKI then there are better choices.

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 06:48 AM
For those of you defending the gun by saying that some parts were never meant to be disassembled, I would argue that removing the upper handguard is not exactly an obscure piece.

I could see your point if I was trying to disassemble some unrelated sub-assembly or something, but we are talking about the upper handguard and gas system.

Those parts should come apart easily and they didn't, so yes it is the SKS's fault.

Bubba Yugga
02-14-2017, 07:06 AM
The design clearly did not intend for the handguard to be removed from the gas tube by anyone less than an armourer.
Any illiterate goatherder attempting it would be shot by the NKVD as a saboteur.

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 08:03 AM
The design clearly did not intend for the handguard to be removed from the gas tube by anyone less than an armourer.

All the more reason to call it a POS, especially compared to the AR family where there is an ingenious tension/spring-loaded method to pull the handguards off easily when you want.

Dewey Cox
02-14-2017, 08:32 AM
Ok then.

Bubba Yugga
02-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Call it what you will. I have no motivation to spend more than 5 times as much on something that's a pain to procure, transport and store, just to be hobbled by range use only, firing 5 times more expensive ammo. Just for a springy thingy on the handguard.
Right.

Doug_M
02-14-2017, 08:52 AM
For those of you defending the gun by saying that some parts were never meant to be disassembled, I would argue that removing the upper handguard is not exactly an obscure piece.

I could see your point if I was trying to disassemble some unrelated sub-assembly or something, but we are talking about the upper handguard and gas system.

Those parts should come apart easily and they didn't, so yes it is the SKS's fault.

What is the purpose of removing the hand guard from the gas tube? It is not necessary for cleaning. Other than repair (by a tech) there is no need. You can't fault the designers for not thinking of Tapco stock replacements decades down the road. Also, replacement stock manufacturers sell complete replacement hand guards pre-assembled with a replacement gas tube. When I Tapco'd my first SKS I bought the Tapco hand guard/gas tube so I wouldn't have to butcher the original. Worked just fine.

You want to complain the gun is inaccurate and/or has a short length of pull you'd have a leg to stand on. But c'mon, time to admit it. You Bubba'd this job big time and the blame lays squarely on you. But hey, it's just a cheap and common SKS so no big deal.

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 08:56 AM
You want to complain the gun is inaccurate and/or has a short length of pull you'd have a leg to stand on. But c'mon, time to admit it. You Bubba'd this job big time and the blame lays squarely on you. But hey, it's just a cheap and common SKS so no big deal.

Dude, I have listed 10 things that are terrible about it, many of which were actually fixed with the aftermarket stock.

It's still poorly made, it's still clunky and ugly, it's still inaccurate, etc.

The aftermarket stock fixed the poor length of pull and the crappy wrist angle, both of which are routinely noted on thread after thread.

Plus, I have now gained the folding butt option.

Nothing was "bubba'd" in swapping the stock, because the gun is unquestionably better now than it was OEM.

Mark-II
02-14-2017, 09:08 AM
All the more reason to call it a POS, especially compared to the AR family where there is an ingenious tension/spring-loaded method to pull the handguards off easily when you want.

So a design some 20 years younger that doesn't have a gas piston reciprocating vigorously within the handguard assembly is superior because its flimsier design in no way would compromise the safety of the user, or the function of the rifle, if it failed to remain securely in place?

P-B.
02-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Petamocto,

We are only going by what you wrote in your first post. bent the latch that holds the gas -tube in place and a bunch of other stuff..... If you had not written that, we would not be all over you!

As for Defending the SKS;
This thread is in the Soviet Block section, so what do you expect??, LOL

I have had my share of Good guns, grew up with old British thoroughbreds.
And still I have to say the SKS is well machined for what it is, and mine is good for clay pigeons at 100 yards without any messing about.

If the AR is what you wanted, they are available, but value for money the SKS is impossible to best.

Cheers,
Richard.

kennymo
02-14-2017, 09:28 AM

I realize this thread is basically a huge troll, but quit blaming the gun for your inability to understand how that pin was supposed to be removed. It's original intention is essentially for one time use. The hand guard isn't supposed to come off unless either the tube or the hand guard is damaged or destroyed, like when a tank drives over it by the way the gun is built. There's a way to remove it, the pin is disposable. Just accept the fact that you did it wrong and most of the complaining in the thread will go away.... :)

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 09:36 AM
(1) I realize this thread is basically a huge troll (2) Just accept the fact that you did it wrong and most of the complaining in the thread will go away.... :)

1. Troll is not the right word, because that would mean that I don't believe it and I'm just trying to bait people. That is not the case. I really do think it is a POS. Yes I'm exaggerating how terrible it is, but I'm not taking something that I think is good and trying to get a rise out of people. I do think it is a crappy gun, and it will now serve its purpose of taking all of the abuse of new shooters, which is a noble calling because it will protect my actual good guns.

2. I will not concede that I made a mistake in swapping the handguard for a new stock, because the OEM stock was completely unacceptable. You guys may like it, but I don't, so it's pointless to argue that one point. I guess in theory I could have not changed that top handguard part to leave it wood and change the rest of the stock, which would not have matched and would have looked silly, but at least I would not have had to hammer away at the thing in order to break that part free.

Joshua13
02-14-2017, 09:48 AM
I love my SKS. I can strip it down and put it together with (almost) my eyes closed. I kept the original stock but I did sand and restain it. and I took off the bayonet. I use removable mags and they work just fine. I've shot more rounds the I could count t too and it's still smooth as ever. It can hit a 6" plate at 100yds all day long but I wouldn't expect it to be a competitive rifle. A buddy has one with the tapco stock and it's heavier then mine.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Swampdonkey
02-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Petamocto,

I'm grateful for your honesty and fervence in defending your opinion. You're similar to harbl in some ways.

I still think you're wrong on points, but it would be regrettable for this variance in opinion to escalate beyond reason. It's alright to let it go anytime, tell your wife and workmates that Canadian gun owners are all retards and lament that you can't educate us.

Thanks for your contributions to gun ownership in Canada.

kennymo
02-14-2017, 10:30 AM
1. Troll is not the right word, because that would mean that I don't believe it and I'm just trying to bait people. That is not the case. I really do think it is a POS. Yes I'm exaggerating how terrible it is, but I'm not taking something that I think is good and trying to get a rise out of people. I do think it is a crappy gun, and it will now serve its purpose of taking all of the abuse of new shooters, which is a noble calling because it will protect my actual good guns.

2. I will not concede that I made a mistake in swapping the handguard for a new stock, because the OEM stock was completely unacceptable. You guys may like it, but I don't, so it's pointless to argue that one point. I guess in theory I could have not changed that top handguard part to leave it wood and change the rest of the stock, which would not have matched and would have looked silly, but at least I would not have had to hammer away at the thing in order to break that part free.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with swapping hand guards, I've done it myself. I'm saying you removed the pin wrong, creating great difficulty for yourself, which has nothing to do with the gun. Remove it the way it's intended to be removed and it comes out cleanly, with minimal fuss in a couple of minutes....

Bubba Yugga
02-14-2017, 10:58 AM
Go anywhere airplanes are fixed and get yourself a handful of NAS1097AD3-8 aluminum rivets, read the right paragraphs in Advisory Circular 43-13, and you'll be able to swap handguards almost as fast as a cotter pin.

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 11:05 AM
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with swapping hand guards, I've done it myself. I'm saying you removed the pin wrong, creating great difficulty for yourself, which has nothing to do with the gun. Remove it the way it's intended to be removed and it comes out cleanly, with minimal fuss in a couple of minutes....

That's a fair assumption on your point, and I could understand that position if I had taken it out of the gun and immediately started hitting it with a sledgehammer.

I can assure that I went out of my way to do it carefully for a significant and frustrating amount of time, first. I looked up several different YouTube clips of how to disassemble that part, and I even tried tapping the pin out from both sides just in case whoever installed it had put it in from the wrong way compared to all of the videos I was watching.

That pin wouldn't budge, though. You may think that it would come out on a few minutes, but this pin did not. I tried to Dremel the head off, and I tried harder and harder to punch in through, with nothing.

Ultimately I don't care because I was able to bend the metal around the pin and then bend it back, but obviously it would have been easier for the pin to come out.

It's not the end of the world. I'm allowed to have an opinion, and you SKS-lovers are allowed to think I'm an idiot because I can't see how the SKS is the greatest gun ever made.

GonZo
02-14-2017, 11:57 AM
That's a fair assumption on your point, and I could understand that position if I had taken it out of the gun and immediately started hitting it with a sledgehammer.

I can assure that I went out of my way to do it carefully for a significant and frustrating amount of time, first. I looked up several different YouTube clips of how to disassemble that part, and I even tried tapping the pin out from both sides just in case whoever installed it had put it in from the wrong way compared to all of the videos I was watching.

That pin wouldn't budge, though. You may think that it would come out on a few minutes, but this pin did not. I tried to Dremel the head off, and I tried harder and harder to punch in through, with nothing.

Ultimately I don't care because I was able to bend the metal around the pin and then bend it back, but obviously it would have been easier for the pin to come out.

It's not the end of the world. I'm allowed to have an opinion, and you SKS-lovers are allowed to think I'm an idiot because I can't see how the SKS is the greatest gun ever made.

Petamocto most of us acknowledge that this gun is not the greatest thing ever. The bolt in mine would not slide forward with the stock magazine in place, and everything is so tight that I was amazed at the amount of effort it took to get everything apart and back together. My buddies that I threw a stock onto for him had a bunch of the same issues getting that fricken pin out. But what most people on this thread are saying that for $200 you will not find anything better. Also I fully believe that within 2 years you will end up hating that bulky ati stock and switch back (well mostly as it sounds your wood handguard didn't make it).

Bubba Yugga
02-14-2017, 12:42 PM
HiCal has spare handguards for 9.99, so no worries there either.

hawk-i
02-14-2017, 12:57 PM
These type of threads always make me go like WTF....lol

The OP is having a tantrum and most everyone is just sitting back, laughing at him, and not taking him seriously ....go figure hey! :)

goosesniper
02-14-2017, 01:05 PM
I think my SKS is great. Fun to shoot, always goes bang, a great conversation piece for people who have never saw them, easy to take apart and clean. I can disassemble it with eyes closed and resemble. Ammo is cheap. Accurate enough within 100 yards for plinking. Not to forget it has a kickass blade attached to it. I have kept the original stock and just love shooting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 01:36 PM
The OP is having a tantrum and most everyone is just sitting back, laughing at him, and not taking him seriously ....go figure hey! :)

I don't expect to be taken seriously when I'm making fun of something, but if I were "throwing a tantrum" you'd know it.

I would be angry if I spent $4000 on a rifle that proved to be a POS, but it is not the end of the world to spend $200 on a POS.

The "tantrum" people are the ones rushing to defend this gun. I'm just having fun and I'm calling a turd a turd. The ones taking it too seriously are the ones telling me the turd is a diamond, or at least the turd is worth it.

Billythreefeathers
02-14-2017, 02:21 PM
I don't expect to be taken seriously when I'm making fun of something, but if I were "throwing a tantrum" you'd know it.

I would be angry if I spent $4000 on a rifle that proved to be a POS, but it is not the end of the world to spend $200 on a POS.

The "tantrum" people are the ones rushing to defend this gun. I'm just having fun and I'm calling a turd a turd. The ones taking it too seriously are the ones telling me the turd is a diamond, or at least the turd is worth it.

so when are you selling your $100 gun?

FlyingHigh
02-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Ignore the lovers and hate on Peta. I actually agree with you. I've put hundreds of rounds downrange through SKS's owned by friends. To this day, I think they're a clunky, poorly designed, inaccurat POS. May as well have been built by Ford.

I have a $250 gun thats more versatile, proven to be just as reliable, better designed, is cheapish to shoot and also shoots minute of barn. My Maverick 88 12ga...which i would take over an SKS anyday. ;D

Likeaboss
02-14-2017, 02:42 PM
Thanks for an education on what to watch out for petamocto. You know that after this epic experience and thread that you can never sell it, right?

GonZo
02-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Ignore the lovers and hate on Peta. I actually agree with you. I've put hundreds of rounds downrange through SKS's owned by friends. To this day, I think they're a clunky, poorly designed, inaccurat POS. May as well have been built by Ford.

I have a $250 gun thats more versatile, proven to be just as reliable, better designed, is cheapish to shoot and also shoots minute of barn. My Maverick 88 12ga...which i would take over an SKS anyday. ;D

Bah I consider both of them equal as they both can take a crap kicking and keep going.

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 02:49 PM
So when are you selling your $100 gun?

I'm not, because as I have already covered, this gun was bought for a specific purpose. I knew before I bought it that I wouldn't like it, but a friend convinced me to buy one so it could take a lot of abuse from new shooters getting into the sport (I take new people shooting all the time, be they friends or family). So over time, instead of them running thousands of rounds through my AR or Garand, which beats them up and wears them out, get an SKS to run up the round count when it doesn't matter.

That's why I have no intention on selling it, and it will serve that function for me. Even with the new stock, over time it is going to save me much more than $400 in wear and tear on my real guns.

...I have a $250 gun that's more versatile, proven to be just as reliable, better designed, is cheapish to shoot and also shoots minute of barn. My Maverick 88 12ga...which i would take over an SKS anyday. ;D

You bring up a good point, and I could event expand this thread to which guns are better for similar money.

I can think of two more right off the top of my head, which are the Remington 597 and my Turkish folding backpacker shotgun. I agree that one is a 22LR and the other is a 12ga, which are both simpler to make than a centrefire, but I still like them both more for different reasons.

At the end or the day, maybe there is no answer. Maybe it's not a question of "What other centrefire rifles can do what the SKS does for $200-$250?", because maybe none can. Anyone spending time trying to convince me of that is wasting their time. Maybe a more relevant question is how much a person needs to spend in order to get a good centrefire rifle.

To me the SKS doesn't get over that threshold, and I don't think it's a matter of how much money someone has. If I had $2000 to buy guns, I'd rather buy two decent guns than six SKS-quality guns.

I think the cheapest gun available that I'd be happy owning is something like the Ruger semi-auto series (Mini 14, Mini 30, 44 Carbine).

Steveo9mm
02-14-2017, 02:52 PM
ill have to agree at least with the mav88

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bcESAdBZxAI/TGfe7s3DQRI/AAAAAAAAB1o/YYpjmkQd7cA/s1600/Mossberg_Maverick_Review_01.JPG

RobertMcC
02-14-2017, 03:54 PM
If you hate the gun so much. Why aren't you selling it? unless this is all fake news to seek attention and you secretly have a love affair with it.

SIR VEYOR
02-14-2017, 04:42 PM
A large part of your frustration is coming from the mindset held going in and just self-reinforced; consciously or not. And you're used to legos (AR), not something more dated in development.

What's your relationship with cars in the winter beater category? Never had one, hate the experience, or had a more relaxed mindset about it because of what it was?

The SKS gets a lot of its love/hate because it seems to be the winter beater of Canadian firearms. Good enough to get from A to B most of the time, doesn't break the bank on fuel, really going to ignore most basic maintenance/repairs, unless it prevents going Ato B. Can sell it come spring or next fall for about what you paid for it.

If you routinely drive winter beaters, you have an attitude towards them. And you can still have a different attitude on the other car that probably mandated buying the winter beater to start with. First car or something to save the nice one. Very similar profiles to most SKS fans. Entry level, or just for fun instead of the really nice stuff.

hawk-i
02-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Ooops, I just bought a 2nd POS SKS from Canadian Tire.....199.95 +tax and 1500 rounds for 249.95+tax :)

I don't plan on swapping out the stock. :)

Word out on the street is these POS rifles are going to be jumping in value in the next short while.

Lee Enfield
02-14-2017, 05:01 PM

The first issue with everyone who cries about the SKS is learn how to shoot. They were not designed to shoot MOA, they were designed to throw lead and hit people on occasion and if enough are firing at the same time many of the enemy will fall. For the dollar they are great, cheap and reliable.

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 05:07 PM
If you hate the gun so much. Why aren't you selling it? unless this is all fake news to seek attention and you secretly have a love affair with it.

Since you are clearly incapable of reading or understanding what I have already covered three times in posts 1, 22, and 98 (go read them and you will see that I have clearly answered that point already), here it is a 4th time:

Even though the ATI has fixed a couple of my main faults with the SKS, it is still ultimately a POS. However, the very reason I want to keep it is because it is a cheap POS. I have nice guns, and those guns get used a lot when I take new shooters to the range, which happens several times per year.

Each time I take a new shooter to the range, guns that I love like my high-end AR end up running 100-200 rounds through them just for a new shooter to experience different types of guns.

However, this SKS will now take the brunt of that punishment. Since neither accuracy nor build quality really matter for that purpose, I can give them 10 rounds with the AR so they can say they've shot it, but then give them 200 rounds through the SKS to know what pulling the trigger is like.

That is the reason I am not selling it, but I can cover it a fifth time if anyone needs it.

Lee Enfield
02-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Since you are clearly incapable of reading or understanding what I have already covered three times in posts 1, 22, and 98 (go read them and you will see that I have clearly answered that point already), here it is a 4th time:

Even though the ATI has fixed a couple of my main faults with the SKS, it is still ultimately a POS. However, the very reason I want to keep it is because it is a cheap POS. I have nice guns, and those guns get used a lot when I take new shooters to the range, which happens several times per year.

Each time I take a new shooter to the range, guns that I love like my high-end AR end up running 100-200 rounds through them just for a new shooter to experience different types of guns.

However, this SKS will now take the brunt of that punishment. Since neither accuracy nor build quality really matter for that purpose, I can give them 10 rounds with the AR so they can say they've shot it, but then give them 200 rounds through the SKS to know what pulling the trigger is like.

That is the reason I am not selling it, but I can cover it a fifth time if anyone needs it.

Well you are wrong, the SKS is NOT a POS. Yes the LOP is short, put on a slip on butt pad and it helps dramatically. Figure out how it shoots and adjust and compensate accordingly. It has never been sold as being MOA accurate however overall it is not bad for accuracy and for 200.00 or less pretty tough to beat.

PS, over 15,000,000 were manufactured and of course all were a POS..sure.

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Well you are wrong, the SKS is NOT a POS.

Here are some pictures of SKS lovers with their rifle:

"I wish I knew how to quit you!"

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/7yw3.xjN5NfJhVxNMxTCfQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9ODAwO2lsPXBsYW5l/http://40.media.tumblr.com/0f3b542dd729a5e90655de12781885bf/tumblr_inline_nz7dz1m3Iq1tcrqyq_1280.jpg

http://images.contentful.com/7h71s48744nc/6Sp8KBvgiIeKeiKMsce66C/5fd02734d7bd3f559321f67f794c125d/titanic.jpg

http://sev.h-cdn.co/assets/15/31/980x490/landscape-1438124471-the-notebook-2004-copy.jpg

http://www.bam.org/media/3906993/15-CTEK-0257_IngridBergman_Casablanca_613x463.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/Dirty-dancing-coverx-large.jpg

RobertMcC
02-14-2017, 05:39 PM

Your AR15 must be a POS If it cannot handle the brunt punishment of new shooters. In that case, might as well not use it, being it seems like its a fragile gun.

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Your AR15 must be a POS If it cannot handle the brunt punishment of new shooters. In that case, might as well not use it, being it seems like its a fragile gun.

Wow, knockout blow for you, 100 internet points!

Do the math, good sir. If I gave five new shooters 200 rounds each for the next decade, that is 10,000 rounds through the barrel of my AR that could have been avoided, not to mention the likely probability of cosmetic abuse in terms of new shooters knocking them around and scratching/denting everything.

For those 10,000 rounds (plus other damage), I am more than comfortable with keeping my AR in the case for me to shoot.

It has nothing to do with the AR not being able to take it, it's just a matter of not putting more mileage on in than necessary.

If you're teaching new people to drive, do you put 10,000 miles on your Ferrari or your Honda Civic?

hallsy88
02-14-2017, 05:52 PM
you should go buy a mosin also. id love to follow that thread just for the amusement :Beer time:

RobertMcC
02-14-2017, 06:04 PM
Wow, knockout blow for you, 100 internet points!

Do the math, good sir. If I gave five new shooters 200 rounds each for the next decade, that is 10,000 rounds through the barrel of my AR that could have been avoided, not to mention the likely probability of cosmetic abuse in terms of new shooters knocking them around and scratching/denting everything.

For those 10,000 rounds (plus other damage), I am more than comfortable with keeping my AR in the case for me to shoot.

It has nothing to do with the AR not being able to take it, it's just a matter of not putting more mileage on in than necessary.

If you're teaching new people to drive, do you put 10,000 miles on your Ferrari or your Honda Civic?

No AR15 is a Ferrari. Its a Honda Civic, in the fact you can modify the crap out.

SKS are more like older Toyotas, they rattle but you cannot kill them.

Bubba Yugga
02-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Yep, old Toyota. Couldn't have said it better.

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 06:16 PM
No AR15 is a Ferrari. Its a Honda Civic, in the fact you can modify the crap out. SKS are more like older Toyotas, they rattle but you cannot kill them.

I get where you're coming from if you're making the SKS an old Toyota that's reliable as ballz, but if that is the case, an AR is not a Civic but something more like a Nissan GT-R that starts off way better already, but can still be modified to get even better.

Dewey Cox
02-14-2017, 06:21 PM
We should start a new thread and argue what car you gun would be if it was a car.
I can't participate though, because I don't smoke marijuana.

Zeegler
02-14-2017, 06:22 PM
Petamocto most of us acknowledge that this gun is not the greatest thing ever. The bolt in mine would not slide forward with the stock magazine in place, and everything is so tight that I was amazed at the amount of effort it took to get everything apart and back together. My buddies that I threw a stock onto for him had a bunch of the same issues getting that fricken pin out. But what most people on this thread are saying that for $200 you will not find anything better. Also I fully believe that within 2 years you will end up hating that bulky ati stock and switch back (well mostly as it sounds your wood handguard didn't make it).
My bolt does not slide forward if the magazine is empty, but why would you want it to?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RobertMcC
02-14-2017, 06:23 PM
I get where you're coming from if you're making the SKS an old Toyota that's reliable as ballz, but if that is the case, an AR is not a Civic but something more like a Nissan GT-R that starts off way better already, but can still be modified to get even better.

Nissan GT-R are like 120K cars. Which cost a lot of modify. That's not the case for a AR15. If they were GT-R nobody be able to afford them. Also would you let someone use it?? HELL NO.

They are civics, You got the base model, then you got the I got 30K into my 30 year old civic. To 900 HP twin turbo drag civics.

Honestly it sounds like you should have bought a base model AR15.

GonZo
02-14-2017, 06:25 PM
My bolt does not slide forward if the magazine is empty, but why would you want it to?

Hahaha sorry had nothing to do with that. The bolt kept getting hung up on the mag while it chambered a round. Had a buddies do the same thing when he bought it. Removable mags fixed that.

Zeegler
02-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Hahaha sorry had nothing to do with that. The bolt kept getting hung up on the mag while it chambered a round. Had a buddies do the same thing when he bought it. Removable mags fixed that.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah that's kinda odd.

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to grab another SKS in the next week or two. I seem to be having a run of good luck with cheap guns lately. I scored a minty 1970s 870 Wingmaster 12 GA for $250.

Bubba Yugga
02-14-2017, 07:42 PM
My OCD simply wouldn't allow me to just change mags.
Nope, gotta dig deep and tweak, finagle, and nudge anything and everything till it works exactly to soviet blueprint.

Petamocto
02-14-2017, 07:50 PM
I hereby accept the Academy Award for best accidental contributor to an exciting thread.

For my acceptance speech I would like to thank everyone who has held this budget gun and realized that it's not worth a penny more than the low amount it is being sold for.

If I'd known that all I had to do was offer an opinion on a gun I bought to get the forum focussed on guns again as opposed to American or Canadian politics, I'll be happy to post reviews of all the guns I own to excite the masses.

hawk-i
02-14-2017, 08:13 PM
SKS torture test.........NOW these guys know how to test a rifle! :)

http://calibremag.ca/the-sks-torture-test/

FlyingHigh
02-14-2017, 09:11 PM
This has to be my favorite thread on GOC right now. ;D

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/003/285/ike_where_this_thread_is_going-vi.jpg

Swampdonkey
02-14-2017, 09:24 PM
My least favourite part of the SKS is the sights. They've got the same sights as the AK-47 + CZ-858, so I don't relate to the 858 being a better gun.

bettercallsaul
02-14-2017, 09:42 PM
Every time I'm in Canadian Tire I think about grabbing one. Cheap and stout, a great boating accident rifle, if you know what I mean.

Deuce-deuce
02-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Every time I'm in Canadian Tire I think about grabbing one. Cheap and stout, a great boating accident rifle, if you know what I mean.

Yeah.. good for long term reaming of pvc pipe. I'm picking up the pipe you're laying down. ;)

Swampdonkey
02-14-2017, 09:44 PM

Fully endorsing guns on hand for emergencies, the best boating accident gun is a 12ga. It can fire flares.

:Beer time:

Petamocto
02-15-2017, 07:00 AM
SKS torture test..NOW these guys know how to test a rifle! :) http://calibremag.ca/the-sks-torture-test/

Yeah, the Calibre guys had some good fun with that one.

There is no denying that it's rugged, I'll give it that.

M39
02-15-2017, 07:17 AM
I can't believe you posted a brokeback mountain pic! It's funny but these sks owners are super sensitive.

Steveo9mm
02-15-2017, 08:48 AM
mine works fine, comes apart smoothly and goes back together without issue,,, BUT the bayonette is a diferent thing. the bayonette is a POS. its to tight! to springy. my old arthritic hands have issues getting the bayonette out and even harder to tuck away again. i mean what if i have to shank something without warning. or a zombie suddenly jumps in front of me. ill be dead because of a POS bayonette. good gun though

Booletsnotreactwell
02-15-2017, 08:55 AM
If the SKS disappointed you, you didn't have the right mindset or understand it's philosophy of use.

The SKS is a rifle that I can give to any average guy, give him an SKS web rig and he's good to go. He has a reliable 10rd box mag fed semi-auto that has .30 Cal power and is good enough to hit man sized targets out to 200 yards. Doesn't even need magazines, push top load stripper clips. It's like a better version of a Mosin Nagant and the Russians killed a lot of people and won a lot of battles with those.

The plus is that the materials you get in it and the general way everything is built is seriously overbuilt for the price you're paying. A rifle built like that today domestically would run you $1000, if it actually costed you 1k then I might say it's a POS...for the price. But you're buying something that was made on slave wages/no wages by government sponsored arsenals with the mindset that it had to be a ready for war rifle. The very guy who built it believed it, vs some junky American made product today in Arkansas with a half millerlite hungover overweight Buba where everything is "good enough". What rifle can you get for $200 that's "battle ready"? None, $200 barely gets you a Hi-Point handgun.

Figures you said you were in the military and in charge of small arms/tactics for a platoon or something, I would expect somebody in that role to understand the capability of such a rifle and what niche, a very important niche at that, it fills.

P-B.
02-15-2017, 09:35 AM
We hear sometimes that the old SKS isn't all that accurate, but as it seems to be a lot of folks first gun, what part of the equation is that?....as in, how many get one and can't shoot?
It would be very nice at some point to hear from those who Can shoot and see how well these rifles do. (Can shoot, rather than Think they can! :-) )

If it'll hold even a 5" group at 100 yards, it's good for what it was meant for out to near 400 yards, but how many can hold steady and shoot such groups even at 300 yards ( Man sized target on average they reckon is 19" across. ) ..In other words if you missed such a target at 300 yards, it's nothing to do with the rifle.
I know blokes who only shoot these little guns at 50 to 100 yards. Smooth-bore musket range. :-)

Sometimes when we get a new rifle we shoot badly with it. The longer we shoot it, the better we/it gets. Is it the rifle that changes?? Just summat to think about. LOL.

GonZo
02-15-2017, 09:40 AM
Nissan GT-R are like 120K cars. Which cost a lot of modify. That's not the case for a AR15. If they were GT-R nobody be able to afford them. Also would you let someone use it?? HELL NO.

They are civics, You got the base model, then you got the I got 30K into my 30 year old civic. To 900 HP twin turbo drag civics.

Honestly it sounds like you should have bought a base model AR15.

Bah id anything the AR platform is more like a jeep wrangler. So many different setups and modifications out there that once you start changing from stock yours will be different from everyone else out there. From little things to full on customized, from cheap build to ridiculously expensive builds. And you can do every last bit of it yourself. And don't forget the military history for both.

glockfan
02-15-2017, 09:50 AM
funny how passionate people are about their piece of trash. although it's a 100,000 moa gun who will never let you down LOL!

Haywire1
02-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Just tossing this out there. Sks, 18.5" barrel, takes ar mags, grips and stocks(including fixed stocks), full length top rail, aluminium chassis, can use an mdt skelestock for example due to no buffer tube. Threaded for standard ar15 muzzle brakes. Shipping to dealers now
http://www.danchasse.com/shop_free/products_pictures/sks15_tan1.jpg

Small business, great guy. Deal with him a lot.
http://tandtarms.com/scorpio-sks-15-semi-auto-kodiak-defense-rifle-7-62x39-black-non-restricted-879/

Haywire1
02-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Also, gt-r's, ar's, civics and jeeps have nothing to do with the topic. I suggest returning to the topic

Steveo9mm
02-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Just tossing this out there. Sks, 18.5" barrel, takes ar mags, grips and stocks(including fixed stocks), full length top rail, aluminium chassis, can use an mdt skelestock for example due to no buffer tube. Threaded for standard ar15 muzzle brakes. Shipping to dealers now
http://www.danchasse.com/shop_free/products_pictures/sks15_tan1.jpg

Small business, great guy. Deal with him a lot.
http://tandtarms.com/scorpio-sks-15-semi-auto-kodiak-defense-rifle-7-62x39-black-non-restricted-879/

this is not an sks, this is a frankengun

Petamocto
02-15-2017, 12:10 PM
If the SKS disappointed you, you didn't have the right mindset or understand it's philosophy of use.

Actually I did, thanks Tips. I was not expecting Anschutz/Cooper-like quality out of this thing, and I am fully tracking that it was built for mass production and "good enough" quality which is keeping with the way that Russia does everything. And just like swarms of T34 tanks were able to overwhelm well-made but finicky Tigers/Panzers, people will say it's better to have 10,000 SKSs than 1,000 M16s/C7s.

Since you brought up a disjointed version of a few different things I have done in the Army, I will respond that my philosophy with regards to individual soldiers is to train and equip them the best you possibly can.

Just to make some of you guys even more nuts, I just ordered the Tapco replacement gas tube/hand guard, too:

https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/ssi-2013/49789.jpg

Now it won't matter that I bent the original metal trying to get that stupid pin out, because this replaces all of it.

Dewey Cox
02-15-2017, 12:21 PM
Why don't you just sell it then?

Bubba Yugga
02-15-2017, 03:22 PM
I've heard that these aftermarket gas tube assemblies can be a touch undersized relative to the original piston.
Let us know how your experience pans out.

Doug_M
02-15-2017, 03:29 PM
Just to make some of you guys even more nuts, I just ordered the Tapco replacement gas tube/hand guard, too:

Now it won't matter that I bent the original metal trying to get that stupid pin out, because this replaces all of it.

I should have warned you. That is the one I had to match the Tapco stock. I ended up selling it and putting the wooden hand guard back on (despite being a fugly mismatch) because that rail obliterates the site picture.

Petamocto
02-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Why don't you just sell it then?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Now I get to answer that question a fifth time.

And I am not exaggerating; I have literally answered that question four times already on this thread.

Petamocto
02-15-2017, 04:15 PM
I should have warned you. That is the one I had to match the Tapco stock. I ended up selling it and putting the wooden hand guard back on (despite being a fugly mismatch) because that rail obliterates the site picture.

Doug, thank you but I think I'm just going to lop some of the barrel off anyway, including the front post, and just throw my basic red dot on this thing.

infidel29
02-15-2017, 07:47 PM

And I am not exaggerating; I have literally answered that question four times already on this thread.

Dewey actually beat me to it. I was going to ask you it a fifth time just to be a dick. Now, I'm sad cuz I didn't get to be no. 5 :(

Dewey Cox
02-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Be number six.
Just wait a day.

I think new members should just post "why don't you sell it?" In this thread, instead of "hello" in the introduction thread.

RobertMcC
02-15-2017, 07:52 PM

Maybe we just like pushing your buttons. Because you clearly love this gun, and will never sell it.

RobertMcC
02-15-2017, 07:54 PM

AND THEN...........

Petamocto
02-15-2017, 07:57 PM
I've just dropped another $75 to get the aftermarket upper hand guard and rail.

I'll tell you guys this much: I'm now in for close to $500 for this gun, which is still far less than I would have paid for a CZ/VZ.

Once I chop off the barrel and add a red dot, there is a remote possibility that I may actually be okay with this gun.

I was not okay with the way this thing existed at $225, but for $500 I may have made the best minimally acceptable gun that can serve the purpose I wanted.

It is still meant to take abuse, but I promise I will concede defeat if I personally enjoy shooting this gun once I add the railed hand guard, red dot, and chop the barrel.

P-B.
02-15-2017, 10:18 PM
What is the reason for the barrel chop ? Just wunderin'.

Deuce-deuce
02-15-2017, 10:32 PM

Cause it's an inch too long...:rolleyes:

Haywire1
02-15-2017, 10:39 PM
$500 and your still not happy? Why dont you just sell it?

:evil1:

SIR VEYOR
02-16-2017, 04:33 AM
I've just dropped another $75 to get the aftermarket upper hand guard and rail.

I'll tell you guys this much: I'm now in for close to $500 for this gun, which is still far less than I would have paid for a CZ/VZ.

Once I chop off the barrel and add a red dot, there is a remote possibility that I may actually be okay with this gun.

I was not okay with the way this thing existed at $225, but for $500 I may have made the best minimally acceptable gun that can serve the purpose I wanted.

It is still meant to take abuse, but I promise I will concede defeat if I personally enjoy shooting this gun once I add the railed hand guard, red dot, and chop the barrel.

Well, most winter beaters get a little attention after initial purchase as well....

Petamocto
02-16-2017, 05:18 AM

Mostly for looks. I know I will lose some velocity, but meh.

Likely knocking another 1/4 to 1/3 pound off the front of the gun, too.

$500 and your still not happy? Why dont you just sell it?
:evil1:

It's not the same when I know you know the answer! Also, and more importantly, I just may like the gun at that point.

Kenwp
02-16-2017, 06:17 AM
152 posts and we are still at the same place. Can't believe I read them all.

goosesniper
02-16-2017, 07:18 AM

Agreed. That being said the thread was stupid to start with. You gotta be pretty numb to purchase something that you think is a POS. goes against all my believes in spending my families money.

Booletsnotreactwell
02-16-2017, 08:04 AM
It's all a matter of perspective, you think it's "POS", others see a really good tool for a great value so let's compare a gun you have a really huge boner over with the SKS. That is the Beretta CX4 Storm which is a $1200 9mm pistol carbine. That's a gun you don't consider a piece of shit, you think it's awesome but from my perspective it's a huge piece of shit.

Cost/Economy

- SKS $200, I can outfit six hunters on a hunting party or six fighters for the price of one CX4.

Advantage SKS

- SKS $300 gets a 1500rd crate of weather proof lacquer coated, sealed primer corrosive ammo that's made that way to guarantee ignition at-30 and has an infinite shelf life

- CX4 you might get 1k of bargain bin unsealed commercial reloads that will go to shit the moment they see water.

Advantage SKS

Cartridge/Capability

- SKS in 7.62x39 can probably take out game up to bear size or insurgents behind of a brick wall.
- CX4 can't even hunt with it

Advantage SKS

- SKS gets hits out to 300m on a man sized target
- CX4 nope not happening

Reliability

- SKS battle proven, stupid simple reliable from +30 to -30.
- CX4, might be reliable or might not be, not battle tested, no statistically relevant data on extreme use/high round count use without cleaning.

Advantage SKS

Durability/Construction

- SKS built with stamped, forged and machined parts, cost cutting measures like mim, investment castings, etc didn't even exist.

- CX4, likely lots of mim parts, lots of cast parts and some stamped/machined parts.

Advantage SKS

So yea, perspective. I don't see a single role, use or capability that a $1200 9mm carbine gives me over a $200 SKS, so to me it's a POS for what I look for when I evaluate a firearm.

Petamocto
02-16-2017, 08:46 AM
It's all a matter of perspective, you think it's "POS", others see a really good tool for a great value so let's compare a gun you have a really huge boner over with the SKS. That is the Beretta CX4 Storm which is a $1200 9mm pistol carbine. That's a gun you don't consider a piece of shit, you think it's awesome but from my perspective it's a huge piece of shit.

And you are certainly welcome to your opinion. The difference is if you made a thread saying the Beretta CX4 Storm was a POS, I would not respond like I was deeply in love with it or call you dumb.

I would respond the intelligent way, which is what you have just done, and I would try to come up with a reasonable argument over why I saw things differently.

As to your individual points, yes there is no question the SKS is much less expensive. As for ammo, I think you're off the mark there, because 9mm is dirt cheap at the moment. It's borderline not even worth reloading for because cases of 1,000 regularly come up for $250. That makes ammo a wash.

As for the type of cartridge, that's the one factor you brought up that's apples vs dumptrucks, because they are meant for different purposes. I could say that I could build a bomb for $100 with more destructive power than a 7.62x39, so that ammo vs 9mm is a pointless comparison.

Reliability and construction are basically a wash as well, because they both meet both of those things (meaning it's not like one of them is noted as being the opposite).

Therefore we are left with the one relevant factor you brought up that has a clear advantage in favour of the SKS, which is cost. There is no arguing that point, and you win that point hands down.

This isn't a CX4 vs SKS thread though, so I won't bother dwelling on about the weight difference, maneuverability, etc.

I just appreciate that you came up with a reasonable argument/comparison and presented it logically. Too many people on this thread have just whined and got angry like I called their wife a whore or something.

Booletsnotreactwell
02-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Which reiterates my point about perspective, different people, different needs, different perspective. My perspective, I prefer function over form.

On 1911 forums, people sound exactly like you Petamocto. I have a $300 Norinco GI pattern 1911 that runs everything, it's reliable as hell, runs steel cased ammo, runs hollow points and is better in every single way to their $3000 Les Bear custom that runs like a bag of crap and jams all the time. Yet 90% of users there would pick that fancy custom 1911 over mine because it's "better built" in their mind, because it's "tighter fitting" and other subjective comments like "you can smell the quality", "quality and attention to detail just ozes out of it". Yet my rattly 4" group at 25yards crudely made full of tool marks Norinco is unquestionably reliable. To me that's worth more and makes it a better gun.

So it's not about arguing SKS vs anything else. If we were to have an argument it would be an argument about how I think your perspective of how you judge firearms is wrong. At one time I might of said it's wrong, nowadays I'll just say it's different. I don't argue with people as much as I used to, no need to convince people of my methods or whatever, I just do, see the results and decide for yourself.

Petamocto
02-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Well now you're bordering on another important factor, which is pride of ownership.

Pride of ownership is a moving target and everyone is different. It's part wealth, part vanity, part biases, part preferences, etc.

I'm doing okay but I certainly don't have unlimited funds, so I can't just buy a safe full of super expensive guns, but I will admit that I like owning nice stuff.

Yes a Norinco may do the same thing as a $3000 1911, and a Norinco AR may do the same thing as a $3000 AR. And certainly the person getting shot by either wouldn't care about the difference.

It's not like the money is always wasted, though. Just because a gun goes "bang", it doesn't mean two guns are equal. Build quality matter. Parts fitting together tightly and operating smoothly is worth something.

But liking what you have is an intangible but real thing for many people. A $2 digital watch will tell perfect time, but it feels nice to wear an expensive analog watch because it's beefy art.

Guns are much the same, and for many people there is more to gun ownership than it going "bang" when you pull the trigger.

Zeegler
02-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Actually I did, thanks Tips. I was not expecting Anschutz/Cooper-like quality out of this thing, and I am fully tracking that it was built for mass production and "good enough" quality which is keeping with the way that Russia does everything. And just like swarms of T34 tanks were able to overwhelm well-made but finicky Tigers/Panzers, people will say it's better to have 10,000 SKSs than 1,000 M16s/C7s.

Since you brought up a disjointed version of a few different things I have done in the Army, I will respond that my philosophy with regards to individual soldiers is to train and equip them the best you possibly can.

...until you hammer the shit out of it trying to install it. LOL

Lee Enfield
02-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Agreed. That being said the thread was stupid to start with. You gotta be pretty numb to purchase something that you think is a POS. goes against all my believes in spending my families money.

What boggles the mind is to purchase a POS and continue to pour more money into it. They are acceptable as issued, pouring in cash does not make them better in most cases.

kennymo
02-16-2017, 10:36 AM
What boggles the mind is to purchase a POS and continue to pour more money into it. They are acceptable as issued, pouring in cash does not make them better in most cases.

Nope, about the best things you can do with them are a recoil pad to make the stock longer and sinking decent coin either an upgraded sight or a good rail/scope mount setup. Everything else is window dressing and seems to make accuracy worse rather than better....

shootemup604
02-16-2017, 10:43 AM
This thread goes great with popcorn, or a few guys sitting around with beers.

I don't think the SKS is crap, so I bought a SKS to tart it up in a Tapco stock with all possible abominable modifications. I think it looks pretty cool, it shoots pretty good, and I could care less what people think.

I've bought other guns I knew were pretty crappy - remember those Norc M213 9mm pistols for $99? I bought two and shot them, modded them, and got rid of them. I had no illusions about what I was getting - but I had fun. Sure there were times I was cursing as I tried to smooth the trigger or lost the ejector spring on the range, but again, you get what you pay for.

RobertMcC
02-16-2017, 10:43 AM
Mostly for looks. I know I will lose some velocity, but meh.

Likely knocking another 1/4 to 1/3 pound off the front of the gun, too.

It's not the same when I know you know the answer! Also, and more importantly, I just may like the gun at that point.

errr maaaa gurrrr a 1/4 to 1/3 pound.

Zeegler
02-16-2017, 10:46 AM
I will say this, in my experience, the stripper clips are a stupid design versus removable magazines. I can never get all the cartridges to go into the gun smoothly. I've seen plenty of YouTube videos where others have the same issue. In my opinion that's the major drawback with a stock SKS. Of course I completely understand that stripper clips make far more sense for a mass produced battle rifle in order to keep costs down. I just hate the damn things.

Doug_M
02-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Nope, about the best things you can do with them are a recoil pad to make the stock longer and sinking decent coin either an upgraded sight or a good rail/scope mount setup. Everything else is window dressing and seems to make accuracy worse rather than better....

I went down that road. Bought the Tapco stock etc. While I liked the pistol grip and long LOP, I quickly realized it wasn't worth the money I'd put into it. I sold that SKS along with both the wood and Tapco stock. But then about 6 months later I found myself buying a Russian one at my local CT. Added a recoil pad for extra LOP and called it a day.

GonZo
02-16-2017, 12:00 PM

I would disagree, removable mags with the bolt mod has worked great for me as well.

Justice
02-16-2017, 02:53 PM
Clunky, inaccurate and heavy but 100% reliable in all conditions was just right for an illiterate conscript who could be trained to use it as fast as possible, the thing was designed for. Oh and the sights and triggers are crappy too. Worked like hot dam for Ivan, Achmed, Nuygen, Wang and Mubuto though.
The LOP is an easy fix that doesn't cost much. Put on a Pachmayr slip on recoil pad. Adds about an inch for about $20.
"...the ATI Strikeforce folding stock..." Isn't a solution to anything. ATI stuff has been low end since they first opened. A folding stock isn't ever going to help a 'fit' issue either.

kennymo
02-16-2017, 02:56 PM
A folding stock isn't ever going to help a 'fit' issue either.

Ummm....wouldn't a completely different stock completely change the ergonomics of the gun? Different LOP, different grip angle, higher or lower cheek weld....etc.....

Petamocto
02-16-2017, 02:56 PM
It's not just folding, it's folding and collapsible.

The grip feels really nice, too, by cheap standards.

Don't you make fun of my SKS, mister!

Steveo9mm
02-16-2017, 03:01 PM
It's not just folding, it's folding and collapsible.

The grip feels really nice, too, by cheap standards.

Don't you make fun of my SKS, mister!

:popcorn:

infidel29
02-16-2017, 03:56 PM
I honestly have to say, thank you Petamocto and everyone else who contributed, for making this thread so darn funny. Its easily the best one on here right now.:GJ

SIR VEYOR
02-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Coming soon from Petamocto Industries:

Converts your SKS to a CX4 Storm with our patent pending process and techniques. Crappy stock and Tapco top rail thingy included for just $500...

Operators are standing by, the fully assembled unit is not for sale

FlyingHigh
02-16-2017, 05:35 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder808/58811808.jpg

kennymo
02-16-2017, 06:52 PM
How in the #### did this not make it into the thread yet?

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w534/kennymo81/Mobile%20Uploads/E47972F1-8B1F-43F3-A3E2-FDCB0A8D6565_zpsa9mwfc7z.jpg (http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/kennymo81/media/Mobile%20Uploads/E47972F1-8B1F-43F3-A3E2-FDCB0A8D6565_zpsa9mwfc7z.jpg.html)

speedloader
02-16-2017, 07:34 PM
LOL .....yep interesting thread ,I tried to make mine into a ar got an ati stock and all the other crap
then just bought an AR and took all that crap off my 52 simonov got a long but pad
put the wood stock back on and just accepted it for what it is an SKS its rough tough and just shoots ....

Kenwp
02-16-2017, 07:47 PM
175 posts and my daughter likes the SKS so it can't be all bad. She thinks she can out shoot dad is going to be her downfall. I agree with the Russian fellow Nyet the rifle is fine as is. If I want a tacticool rifle I will scope my 30-30.

WSA
02-17-2017, 02:30 AM
Man, I've got a few SKS rifles itension/pad. n various configurations, but for a fun shooter/plinker the best upgrade is just like I said - Good peep sights and a buttstock extension/buttpad.

Adding the peep sights makes most people aware that it's the SIGHTS and not the rifle that are inaccurate. It's never going to be a target rifle but with good sights a beer can at 100m is definitely in trouble.....

goosesniper
02-17-2017, 05:14 AM
Talking about MOA. I hear a lot of people saying in other threads. It has barn door MOA. While the sks is no precision rifle. From prone position I can hit a golf ball off a tee from about 75 yards about 70% of the time. When shooting paper, and using surplus ammo you can't get any better for the money. As said in my previous post. I love my SKS. It sits in my cabinet and is not jealous of any of my other rifles for lack of use. It never pulls its discrimination card. In fact more rounds go through it than any of my other rifles. Perhaps even my 22.

Doug_M
02-17-2017, 06:05 AM
From prone position I can hit a golf ball off a tee from about 75 yards about 70% of the time.

I doubt I could even see a golf ball at 75 yards. Damn you! Er, I mean damn my aging eyes.

goosesniper
02-17-2017, 07:35 AM
I doubt I could even see a golf ball at 75 yards. Damn you! Er, I mean damn my aging eyes.

Lol.

Booletsnotreactwell
02-17-2017, 07:55 AM
We should start a new thread and argue what car you gun would be if it was a car.
I can't participate though, because I don't smoke marijuana.

Best post thus far.

Ahahahahaha

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/4d/4db03bc69ccc2e42f6f25c6e8e46005d068a6a67962bb27746 339616f5420711.jpg

Petamocto
02-17-2017, 09:56 AM
errr maaaa gurrrr a 1/4 to 1/3 pound.

Can you please clarify this response?

As I wrote in my original post, I'm not doing it as a weight saving measure, I'd be chopping the barrel down for looks/length.

I just through a number out off the top of my head, though, if you're suggesting that I'm exaggerating or something (?)

If that's what you were responding to, I don't know what the answer is. Presumably 4-6" of barrel and the front site and barrel length add up to something, though.

I have no idea how much it will be, but I know from other issues that the barrel is dense metal and you can feel a noticeable change with a few inches of difference even without the sight post/bayonet lug.

RobertMcC
02-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Can you please clarify this response?

As I wrote in my original post, I'm not doing it as a weight saving measure, I'd be chopping the barrel down for looks/length.

I just through a number out off the top of my head, though, if you're suggesting that I'm exaggerating or something (?)

If that's what you were responding to, I don't know what the answer is. Presumably 4-6" of barrel and the front site and barrel length add up to something, though.

I have no idea how much it will be, but I know from other issues that the barrel is dense metal and you can feel a noticeable change with a few inches of difference even without the sight post/bayonet lug.

Probably added more weight putting on the ATI stock and if its not for weight. Then why say likely knocking 1/3 - 1/4 lbs off the front. Its not going to make any difference really. It was me laughing at the weight reduction. Better goto the gym and work out more to deal with that added weight.

Petamocto
02-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Better goto the gym and work out more to deal with that added weight.

Thanks, tough guy. Something something internet-approved response calling you out to look cool behind my keyboard. Maybe people would think I'm tough if I said something like "Why don't you come here and say that?", or "No you're not strong", but that would be dumb.

The ATI stock I got was among the lightest ones you can get. Then the bayonet went, then the cleaning rod, and next the barrel end with post and lug.

I challenge your point that "It's not going to make any difference really.", because every ounce matters. Maybe not for super jacked people like you, but for the other 7,000,000,000 people on the planet, shaving 1/4 pound off the front of a rifle can really make a noticeable difference in felt weight due to it being the farthest point from you when swinging it around.

RobertMcC
02-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Thanks, tough guy. Something something internet-approved response calling you out to look cool behind my keyboard. Maybe people would think I'm tough if I said something like "Why don't you come here and say that?", or "No you're not strong", but that would be dumb.

The ATI stock I got was among the lightest ones you can get. Then the bayonet went, then the cleaning rod, and next the barrel end with post and lug.

I challenge your point that "It's not going to make any difference really.", because every ounce matters. Maybe not for super jacked people like you, but for the other 7,000,000,000 people on the planet, shaving 1/4 pound off the front of a rifle can really make a noticeable difference in felt weight due to it being the farthest point from you when swinging it around.

Sure no problem.. Anytime.

infidel29
02-17-2017, 03:47 PM

Ivan approved workout regime for spetsnaz operators:
1) pick up rifle
2) load rifle with ammo, because unloaded rifle is bad, da?
3) swing rifle around while doing one legged squats to get strong like bear!
4) remember, keep vodka hand away from trigger until ready to shoot capitalist pigs!
5) put rifle down and drink vodka!

Petamocto
02-17-2017, 03:53 PM
I've never worked with Russians, but I've trained some Ukraine airborne soldiers and officers, and they definitely had an alcohol problem.

kennymo
02-17-2017, 04:22 PM
I've never worked with Russians, but I've trained some Ukraine airborne soldiers and officers, and they definitely had an alcohol problem.

They ran out of potato vodka?

Swampdonkey
02-17-2017, 11:58 PM

Request permission to start a new thread about substance abuse in the workplace.

Deuce-deuce
02-18-2017, 01:11 AM
Request permission to start a new thread about substance abuse in the workplace.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/5697/uUGJ8r.jpg

Bubba Yugga
02-18-2017, 06:40 AM
Ukrainians are like Scots and Swedes, lifespan limited only by toughness of liver.

Petamocto
02-18-2017, 07:08 AM
As soon as I do the next few mods I will reassess the situation.

The hand guard has been shipped, I already have the red dot, and it's no problem to chop the barrel.

At that point the gun will be $500, plus the $125 or so I paid for the dot.

After I get it to the range I will re-review it in order to determine if at that point I like it more.

The guts will still be clunky, but I admit that something magical may happen that makes the experience worth more than the sum of its parts.

It did not do that as-purchased for $225+tax. It may for you, but not for me.

I really don't get the hate-on for the ATI stock, though. People who defend the SKS saying a stock is cheap; that's rich!

TheGreatBeard
02-18-2017, 08:39 AM
I really don't get the hate-on for the ATI stock, though. People who defend the SKS saying a stock is cheap; that's rich!

There is a difference between "cheap" and "inexpensive". A lot of time and money went into designing, testing and developing the SKS so I wouldn't use the word "cheap".

Specter Arms
02-18-2017, 08:45 AM

The problem with the ATI, as well as other folding stocks, is they need to have a tolerance.. or wiggle room, in order to fold. In my personal experience, that hurts the SKS accuracy just a little bit more.
For a more ergonomic stock, I always steer people toward....Well... Anything else.

infidel29
02-18-2017, 01:21 PM
As soon as I do the next few mods I will reassess the situation.

The hand guard has been shipped, I already have the red dot, and it's no problem to chop the barrel.

At that point the gun will be $500, plus the $125 or so I paid for the dot.

After I get it to the range I will re-review it in order to determine if at that point I like it more.

The guts will still be clunky, but I admit that something magical may happen that makes the experience worth more than the sum of its parts.

It did not do that as-purchased for $225+tax. It may for you, but not for me.

Well if you like bud, I'll sell you a high quality supergrade sks for $1500. Perhaps you'll appreciate the quality of craftsmanship that went into it more considering the slave labour that went into it. It sounds like you're one of those who confuse quality with cost.

M39
02-18-2017, 01:33 PM

I don't think you can buy a rifle for less than $200 except a Mosin nagant, tradex is selling them for $169.

M39
02-18-2017, 01:38 PM

You could buy an AR for $4000 and still have to take it into to get repaired. Not a rugged rifle

M39
02-18-2017, 01:46 PM

You take new shooters to the range? Are you a shooting instructor/arms expert/gunsmith?

Deuce-deuce
02-18-2017, 01:56 PM
You take new shooters to the range? Are you a shooting instructor/arms expert/gunsmith?

Well he did claim to be in charge of the Canadian military's "small arms portfolio " in this thread... plus you can tell from his posts that he's obviously of superior intelligence to the rest of us. He was also a field officer for one of the gun orgs until they fired him.
Also his gunsmithing skills are pretty clearly laid out in this thread. It's not his lack of skill or ham hands it's the gosh darned cheap pos rifle, ok. Uuuggghh.
GET WITH THE TIMES!!!

M39
02-18-2017, 02:08 PM

What a time waster but what am I suppose to do there is 4 feet of snow outside and don't own a skidoo and no time to go skiingeverybody

I read 199 posts.

infidel29
02-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Hahaha, you realize we're all just kidding, right buddy? It's all good. You can work on my sks any day. *Snicker*
To be fair, my mechanical skills suck pretty hard as well, which is why I never announce my mistakes on here lol

TheCenturion
02-18-2017, 05:26 PM

I'm curious, what do you mean by this question?

Petamocto
02-18-2017, 07:36 PM
What's with the frickin' buzz killers in this thread?

We're trying to have fun here, Debbie Downers!

Billythreefeathers
02-18-2017, 07:51 PM
sticky,,,,,

kennymo
02-18-2017, 07:58 PM
sticky,,,,,

I'm so tempted......

Haywire1
02-18-2017, 10:13 PM
Slightly edited :-)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d9rS8Edd404/U8Vn_fJxJPI/AAAAAAAAvDg/33RII6Q3SR4/s1600/genrikh.jpg

WHAT IN F**K IS DONE TO THIS POOR RIFLE? STUPID HICK CANADIAN WITH TEN GALLON HAT AND GIANT PICKUP TRUCK LOOKS AT PERFECTLY FINE SIMONOV KARBIN AND SAYS "NO, RIFLE NEED MORE DUMB SHIT ON IT"?

WHAT IS REASON FOR PISTOL GRIP? IF YOU NEED TO FIRE FROM HIP IN EMERGENCY, NOW HAND IS TWISTED INTO PAINFUL ANGLE AND YOU MISS EVERY ENEMY! LOOK AT WRONG ANGLE OF BAYONET! LOOK AT CHEAP PLASTIC MAGAZINE THAT FEEDS CARTRIDGE LIKE CONSTANTLY JAMMING PEZ CANDY BOX! WHERE DID CLEANING STICK GO?

ADDING PISTOL GRIP TO WEAPON MEANS YOU CHANGE OTHER PARTS. WHAT ELSE YOU F**K? YOU PUT NEW BOLT EDIFICE? HOW ABOUT BAD FIT RECEIVER COVER FOR CHEAP SCOPE TO SHOW OFF AT HICK PARTY AND NEVER HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN?

SURE, IS ONLY COPY TYPE BUT IS STILL PROUD DESIGN OF SERGEI SIMONOV. THIS IS LIKE SENDING HIM BIRTHDAY CARD WITH SEVERED OFF THUMB OF DAUGHTER IN ENVELOPE. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SERGEI! I PISS ON ALL YOU CREATE!" LARGE MOUND FORMS OVER SIMONOV'S GRAVE BY CONSTANT TUMBLING OF HIS ANGRY CORPSE. IS FAULT OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

RIFLE WAS FINE BEFORE YOU F**K IT. NOW IS TRASH. MAYBE YOU CHECK IN GARAGE AND ORIGINAL BOLT EDIFICE AND WOOD ARE STILL THERE. MAYBE IS NOT TOO LATE TO KEEP RIFLE SOMETHING NOT SHAMEFUL TO TAKE TO FIRING RANGE. TAKE SHIT OF GOAT AWAY AND COULD STILL BE GOOD WEAPON.

Joshua13
02-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Slightly edited :-)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d9rS8Edd404/U8Vn_fJxJPI/AAAAAAAAvDg/33RII6Q3SR4/s1600/genrikh.jpg

WHAT IN F**K IS DONE TO THIS POOR RIFLE? STUPID HICK CANADIAN WITH TEN GALLON HAT AND GIANT PICKUP TRUCK LOOKS AT PERFECTLY FINE SIMONOV KARBIN AND SAYS "NO, RIFLE NEED MORE DUMB SHIT ON IT"?

WHAT IS REASON FOR PISTOL GRIP? IF YOU NEED TO FIRE FROM HIP IN EMERGENCY, NOW HAND IS TWISTED INTO PAINFUL ANGLE AND YOU MISS EVERY ENEMY! LOOK AT WRONG ANGLE OF BAYONET! LOOK AT CHEAP PLASTIC MAGAZINE THAT FEEDS CARTRIDGE LIKE CONSTANTLY JAMMING PEZ CANDY BOX! WHERE DID CLEANING STICK GO?

ADDING PISTOL GRIP TO WEAPON MEANS YOU CHANGE OTHER PARTS. WHAT ELSE YOU F**K? YOU PUT NEW BOLT EDIFICE? HOW ABOUT BAD FIT RECEIVER COVER FOR CHEAP SCOPE TO SHOW OFF AT HICK PARTY AND NEVER HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN?

SURE, IS ONLY COPY TYPE BUT IS STILL PROUD DESIGN OF SERGEI SIMONOV. THIS IS LIKE SENDING HIM BIRTHDAY CARD WITH SEVERED OFF THUMB OF DAUGHTER IN ENVELOPE. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SERGEI! I PISS ON ALL YOU CREATE!" LARGE MOUND FORMS OVER SIMONOV'S GRAVE BY CONSTANT TUMBLING OF HIS ANGRY CORPSE. IS FAULT OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

RIFLE WAS FINE BEFORE YOU F**K IT. NOW IS TRASH. MAYBE YOU CHECK IN GARAGE AND ORIGINAL BOLT EDIFICE AND WOOD ARE STILL THERE. MAYBE IS NOT TOO LATE TO KEEP RIFLE SOMETHING NOT SHAMEFUL TO TAKE TO FIRING RANGE. TAKE SHIT OF GOAT AWAY AND COULD STILL BE GOOD WEAPON.
So happy I checked back in and seen this post. I do t have to go back any further

FlyingHigh
02-18-2017, 11:03 PM
So happy I checked back in and seen this post. I do t have to go back any further

You and me both. I read it out loud to the woman in my best russian voice. ;D

The worst part of this thread is now I want to buy a SKS so I too can own a gun to hate. Can't be the last kid on my block without a POS gun in the cabinet.

Oh, Petamocto...have you played Battlefield 4? The SKS is a designated marksman rifle in the game. I shout at the tv everytime I get killed by one while I'm packing a pimped out SCAR. It's insulting is what it is. ::smash:

Joshua13
02-18-2017, 11:18 PM
You and me both. I read it out loud to the woman in my best russian voice. ;D

The worst part of this thread is now I want to buy a SKS so I too can own a gun to hate. Can't be the last kid on my block without a POS gun in the cabinet.

Oh, Petamocto...have you played Battlefield 4? The SKS is a designated marksman rifle in the game. I shout at the tv everytime I get killed by one while I'm packing a pimped out SCAR. It's insulting is what it is. ::smash:
Since it's been a few pages since I last posted and this seems to be the repeating g thread. I love my SKS. I'd buy a second in a heartbeat. Mind you mine is Russian, has all matching numbers and still the wooden stock.

Every Canadian should own an SKS. Honestly.

M39
02-18-2017, 11:47 PM
I'm curious, what do you mean by this question?

Just asking why he takes so many new shooters to the range? He is having trouble with the simplest semi auto ever made. Just curious if he should be teaching new shooters about rifles in general. I was just giving him a hard time. I'm hiding behind a keyboard eating rice crispy squares drinking Diet Pepsi.

Deuce-deuce
02-19-2017, 12:00 AM
How's the foot?

Haywire1
02-19-2017, 12:35 AM
The worst part of this thread is now I want to buy a SKS

NO MATTER WHICH COUNTRY OF SKS YOU PICK, YOU MUST INSPECT BARREL BEFORE BUY. BRING FLASHLIGHT TO GUN SHOW. AFTER ASKING DEALER WITH DEFERENCE TO HANDLE RIFLE, PULL BACK BOLT. INSPECT CAREFULLY THE RIFLE AND BE SURE THERE IS NO CARTRIDGE PRESENT BECAUSE BARREL POINTS AT FACE SOON. LOOK FROM MUZZLE END OF BARREL AND MOVE LIGHT AROUND BEHIND FACE OF CHAMBER. YOU SEE CONDITION OF INSIDE OF BARREL. YOU LOOK FOR NICE SHINE AND GOOD SMOOTH SURFACE. YOU LOOK FOR SHARP EDGE ON RIFLING OF BARREL. YOU NOTICE AND AVOID BARREL IF HAS POCKMARKS LIKE ASS OF FAT GIRL.

CHECK ALSO TO SEE WHETHER MAIN PARTS OF ACTION HAVE SAME NUMBER. BOLT, BOLT CARRYING DEVICE, AND RECEIVER WITH BARREL ARE MOST IMPORTANT. UNLESS YOU GATHER MANY SKS FOR INTEREST IN HISTORY, IS NOT SO IMPORTANT WHETHER NUMBERS ON MAGAZINE AND STOCK ARE SAME. CHECK ALSO TO SEE WHETHER BAYONET AND CLEANING STICK ARE PRESENT. IF NOT THERE, NOT BIG DEAL. THESE PARTS CAN BE EASY TO FIND, BUT IF BAYONET ATTACHING POST IS REMOVED IS NOT POSSIBLE TO FIX BAYONET LATER. AT LEAST BE SURE BAYONET ATTACHING POST IS PRESENT.

ALWAYS AVOID SKS IF IT LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE HAS F**K IT WITH ROTARY GRINDING TOOL OR SAW, MAYBE TO PUT MAGAZINE FROM KALASHNIKOV OR OTHER STUPID SHIT. IF ONLY IS WOOD MISSING, IS NOT SUCH BIG PROBLEM. GOOD SEARCH CAN FIND WOOD ALREADY SHAPED, OR REAL MAN CAN MAKE NEW WOOD WITH HANDS AND TOOLS OF WOOD.

HOPE THIS IS SOME HELP. I WISH YOU LUCK IN SEARCH FOR FIRST SKS RIFLE

Petamocto
02-19-2017, 07:23 AM
Just asking why he takes so many new shooters to the range? He is having trouble with the simplest semi auto ever made. Just curious if he should be teaching new shooters about rifles in general. I was just giving him a hard time. I'm hiding behind a keyboard eating rice crispy squares drinking Diet Pepsi.

90% of my frustration was based on the one pin inside the upper hand guard gas system. Trying to get that pin out (which apparently is seized in there) was the cause of a chain reaction of events that would never have happened had the SKS been designed as well as the AR.

Perfect example is something like the firing pin retaining pin or even the pin that holds on the extractor, not to mention that the M16/C7 handguards just pop off with spring tension.

We've already gone over that, though. That pin wouldn't come out, which first resulted in the wood splitting, then the metal bending around the pin in order to get the wood out, which then meant it didn't fit properly back in the receiver for the little lever clamp on the rear sight to close down.

It was all because of that stupid pin. SKS lovers have already defended it as never needing to come out for the average stupid Russian soldier, and that's fair ball. I had to get it out, because I hated the OEM stock.

You can think I'm retarded if you'd like, and too stupid to take new people shooting, but I'm smart enough to know that if you and I actually met in person we'd likely get along just fine and be good friends, so there is no reason to make fun of people online because of a very insignificant issue.

FlyingHigh,

No I have not played that game. I love games, but my kids are an awkward age where they're up late enough to steal much of my day, but not old enough to see games like that. The last game I had the time to play for hours and hours was The Last of Us.

Doug_M
02-19-2017, 07:52 AM
, but my kids are an awkward age where they're up late enough to steal much of my day, but not old enough to see games like that.

1000 internet bonus points to you! Too many parents expose their kids to adult content because they aren't willing to sacrifice their own entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3MTA3
02-19-2017, 08:34 AM
https://savannaharsenal.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/tactical8vw.jpg?w=480
SKS good rifle

Kenwp
02-19-2017, 09:00 AM
I like the barrel inspection instructions. Very illegal to do in Quebec. It's against the law to point a gun at some one so looking down a barrel is pointing the gun at some one. They never said how your supposed to check a barrel on a auto because of this besides the cleaning rod run thru crap. When they made me take the firearms course again and I had to check the barrel on a bolt action rifle I just took the bolt out and looked down the barrel from the back. They didn't have a auto thank God.
I had to take out my SKS to find out what this gas tube problem could even be as I was a bit confused. Of course being a farmer I used a Bic pen to take mine apart the first time.

Likeaboss
02-19-2017, 09:59 AM
I like the barrel inspection instructions. Very illegal to do in Quebec. It's against the law to point a gun at some one so looking down a barrel is pointing the gun at some one. They never said how your supposed to check a barrel on a auto because of this besides the cleaning rod run thru crap. When they made me take the firearms course again and I had to check the barrel on a bolt action rifle I just took the bolt out and looked down the barrel from the back. They didn't have a auto thank God.
I had to take out my SKS to find out what this gas tube problem could even be as I was a bit confused. Of course being a farmer I used a Bic pen to take mine apart the first time.
This is misinformation. You can't point a firearm at someone anywhere in Canada - it's nothing to do with Québec.

Inspecting the barrel by looking down the muzzle isn't pointing the firearm at someone. You MUST look down the barrel via the muzzle to ensure it's clear for many firearms, it's the CFSC instructed method, and it is completely LEGAL. The rod method you mention is typically reserved for some revolvers where visually doing it isn't feasible.

Sinbad
02-19-2017, 01:15 PM
:popcorn:

Petamocto
02-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Less ACTS/PROVE, more SKS hatred please.

Dewey Cox
02-19-2017, 01:41 PM
7.62x39 is so cheap, I prove an sks safe and unloaded by loading five rounds and shooting the gun empty.

Steveo9mm
02-19-2017, 02:11 PM
i still get 7.62x39 for 6$ for 20 rounds.

Joshua13
02-19-2017, 02:34 PM
You can also remove bolt and rear cover and look down barrel from chamber end.

glockfan
02-19-2017, 03:03 PM
YOU NOTICE AND AVOID BARREL IF HAS POCKMARKS LIKE ASS OF FAT GIRL.

:lol

SIR VEYOR
02-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Hello everyone,

I don't usually make a giddy excited post when I buy a new gun, but I've recently bought a SKS and it has me more excited about buying a gun than I've ever been before.

Bottom line up front: Please go to a gun store and hold one; I predict that you will be very impressed and surprised, and you will likely want to buy one.

There is just something magical about the feel of it, it's hard to explain. It's so light and nimble, and the ergonomics are amazing.

I know what you may be thinking:
"Looks tacky and old fashioned"
"Looks woody and poorly made"
"I like what I'm used to, and that's not what I'm used to".
And so on and so on.

Forget all of that and please go hold this gun.

You can take it as-is, as unlike an AR you can't upgrade the heck out of it. I've thought about putting an ACOG, light, single point sling, and fab defense angled foregrip on mine, and I've thought about an upgraded trigger/hammer kit, but you don't need any of those things.

Other sources:

Accuracy (with Base configuration) * * * * *
Ah, much better.
Ergonomics & Aesthetics: * * * * *
A true Ferrari in the Marussia tradition.
Reliability * * * * *
Eats anything, never jams.
Customization: * * * *
It’s not an AR platform, but the basics are covered. Point taken away due to no decent aftermarket folding stocks.
Overall: * * * *
Once you get the Bayonet flipped out, there are few carbines that are superior to the SKS, and those that are cost 2x more than the SKS (at least).

Not much else to say, really. I honestly feel like a teenager who has met a girl he loves and he just wants to yell from a mountaintop how great life is. Give this gun a try the next time you have a chance to hold it.

Petamocto
02-19-2017, 03:57 PM
I can't believe you just plagiarized my Beretta CX4 Storm opening post, you copywriting infringement SOB!

FlyingHigh
02-19-2017, 04:28 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

kennymo
02-19-2017, 06:08 PM
That just made my evening, ROFL....

glockfan
02-19-2017, 08:17 PM
LOL

Kenwp
02-19-2017, 09:07 PM
This is misinformation. You can't point a firearm at someone anywhere in Canada - it's nothing to do with Québec.

Inspecting the barrel by looking down the muzzle isn't pointing the firearm at someone. You MUST look down the barrel via the muzzle to ensure it's clear for many firearms, it's the CFSC instructed method, and it is completely LEGAL. The rod method you mention is typically reserved for some revolvers where visually doing it isn't feasible.

Okay in Quebec we can not look down the barrel of a gun(in public at least) It is considered pointing a gun at some one. They have a whole section on this in the 3 fire arm courses we have to take to get to own restricted fire arms including stupid videos on it and proper procedure in a firing range. Look up Loi 9 and learn something. Quebec is not even close to any other province when it comes to guns. We have to use a cleaning rod on any gun you can't remove the bolt or look down the barrel from the chamber. Please look up things before calling somebody a liar or that he has no idea what he's talking about.

Question when somebody like this posts things like this how does one put in a complaint. We have all these Mods on here but how does one make use of them. People like this need to be reprimanded for such gross information.

Swampdonkey
02-19-2017, 09:11 PM
I can't believe you just plagiarized my Beretta CX4 Storm opening post, you copywriting infringement SOB!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Satire and sarcasm are just coincidentally similar.

:)

Smiley applied, so pffence cannot be taken.

Rory McCanuck
02-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Okay in Quebec we can not look down the barrel of a gun(in public at least) It is considered pointing a gun at some one. They have a whole section on this in the 3 fire arm courses we have to take to get to own restricted fire arms including stupid videos on it and proper procedure in a firing range. Look up Loi 9 and learn something. Quebec is not even close to any other province when it comes to guns. We have to use a cleaning rod on any gun you can't remove the bolt or look down the barrel from the chamber. Please look up things before calling somebody a liar or that he has no idea what he's talking about.

Question when somebody like this posts things like this how does one put in a complaint. We have all these Mods on here but how does one make use of them. People like this need to be reprimanded for such gross information.
By bringing it to our attention.
Click on any of the names in blue, and shoot a PM.
Or, in the bottom left corner of the offending post, click the Report button.(the little triangle with the exclamation point in it).
A window opens in which you can state your problem with a post.
We aren't NSA, we can't be everywhere reading everything, and even when we do read it, we can still miss stuff.

As for correcting misrepresentations, we can all do our part by finding and quoting relevant sources.
That's the whole reason for having a forum, to collect pertinent information and share it here so everyone can use it to dispell the myths, untruths and old wives' tales.
If it is wrong, please show us.

Haywire1
02-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Read sir veyors post to the wife. Her and i both are crying we are laughing so hard.

Petamocto
02-20-2017, 06:46 AM
Read sir veyors post to the wife. Her and i both are crying we are laughing so hard.

Did you see the Beretta CX4 Storm thread, though? His post is that much better because it's a direct spoof of that.

Doug_M
02-20-2017, 07:14 AM
Okay in Quebec we can not look down the barrel of a gun(in public at least) It is considered pointing a gun at some one. They have a whole section on this in the 3 fire arm courses we have to take to get to own restricted fire arms including stupid videos on it and proper procedure in a firing range. Look up Loi 9 and learn something. Quebec is not even close to any other province when it comes to guns. We have to use a cleaning rod on any gun you can't remove the bolt or look down the barrel from the chamber.

The cleaning rod method was what we had to do to pass the course in NS too.

Haywire1
02-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Did you see the Beretta CX4 Storm thread, though? His post is that much better because it's a direct spoof of that.

Yeah i finally went and read it. Couldn't believe someone was that excited over a cx4:evil1:

M39
02-20-2017, 09:01 AM
CX4? If it's not Combloc its crap.

FlyingHigh
02-20-2017, 09:37 AM
CX4? If it's not Combloc its crap.

Them's fightin' words!!!

Petamocto
02-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Them's fightin' words!!!

There is no need, America and the AR platform already won the Cold War, thereby proving that the AK and SKS platforms are terrible.

Haywire1
02-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Technically the economic policies of the west coupled with internal pressure from various sources had more to do with the dissolution of the soviet union. Militarily, the standards of training of the individual volunteer soldiers far outstripped the quick and dirty crash courses the soviets used with their mainly conscript( and generally spotty paid) conscript army. Quality vs quantity. The individual firearms really had nothing to do with it.

Also, the Russians were the first to recognize the benefits of a general issue intermediate round, the 7.62x39, and develop firearms for that. The ak was the first general issue "assault" rifle(the stg44 was only issued to special troops). Also, the m16 was the military adaptation of the ar, which has required over 90 product improvements to be the ( mostly) reliable firearm it is today. The ak, 2. The akm and ak-103 improvements mainly to do with cartridge changes.

I admit i love the sks, but i also dont look at a firearm the was first issued at the end of ww2, made for 11 yearsand compare it to a firearm thats been continuously upgraded over the last 52 years and expect it to have the ergonomics, accuracy, and ease of upgrades etc. Is the lop short? Yes it is, because it was designed to be used with the very bulky winter gear the soviets used. Is it moa capable? No, it was designed to be used in the typical conditions soldiers were encountering during ww2, mud, cold, generally crappy conditions, and was required to function with shitty support and be reliable no matter what. Different requirements means different design philosophies. An sks doesnt require a forward assist, will function full of mud and debris, in adverse conditions far better then an m16(1964 issue).

As for quality, looking strictly at the russian manufacturered version( the original if you will), milled reciever, chromed bore and gas piston, interchangeable parts with most other sks's, met a standard of 3 moa, laminate stocks, utterly reliable. Show me any other ww2 era firearm one can buy for the $2-300 range today.

They arent for everyone, granted, but they're a firearm thats cheap to buy, cheap to feed, utterly reliable, fun to shoot, and easy to train a new shooter to use. Which when you think about it, is exactly what they were designed to be back in 1945 :)

Doug_M
02-20-2017, 11:30 AM
There is no need, America and the AR platform already won the Cold War, thereby proving that the AK and SKS platforms are terrible.

I think you mean the FN FAL won the Cold War, after all it (and not the M16) was called the right arm of the free world for good reason.

Petamocto
02-20-2017, 12:55 PM
I think you mean the FN FAL won the Cold War, after all it (and not the M16) was called the right arm of the free world for good reason.

Negative.

I'm currently in an office about 50 feet away from two of them mounted on the wall, and I almost want to go get a picture of me sticking the middle finger up to them just for you.

The last I checked, countries using the FN FAL did not do more to win the Cold War than the one using M14s and M16s.

The FAL is only slightly better than the SKS.

infidel29
02-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Negative.

I'm currently in an office about 50 feet away from two of them mounted on the wall, and I almost want to go get a picture of me sticking the middle finger up to them just for you.

The last I checked, countries using the FN FAL did not do more to win the Cold War than the one using M14s and M16s.

so, then you should buy one and start a thread about how you're going to mod it....;)

DT741
02-20-2017, 02:41 PM

What the hell are you talking about ?!?!

I recently went to a store in order to buy an SKS, asked the guy to have a look at them to pick the best one, locked the actions to the rear and placed a white piece of paper and looked at the bore FROM THE BARREL END.

Nothing illegal about it in Quebec or the rest of Canada

Joshua13
02-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Is there any videos of an SKS functioning full of mud debris ? And is one verses an AR with the same treatment?

Doug_M
02-20-2017, 03:08 PM

I was going to say "them's fightin' words" but then I remembered your reverence for the Storm. ;)

M39
02-20-2017, 06:13 PM
Negative.

You do realize that the only action the m14 and m16 saw was in nam. And they failed. Then the next action was Grenada. Wow that was a big win.

Petamocto
02-20-2017, 06:17 PM
You do realize that the only action the m14 and m16 saw was in nam. And they failed. Then the next action was Grenada. Wow that was a big win.

1. As opposed to the SKS and AK47 that have been responsible for so many notable victories?

2. I admit that I am biased because a C7 is the only gun I have ever had a human lined up on the post with, and I felt very confident that I had a well-made gun in my hands (although it was only a Colt and could have been even better if it had been a DD).

TheGreatBeard
02-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Is there any videos of an SKS functioning full of mud debris ? And is one verses an AR with the same treatment?

I'd be willing to take one for the team in the name of science. I don't own an AR but I do have enough SKS's that I'd be down to try!.

infidel29
02-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Oooh, now things are getting interesting. I'd love to see a side by side comparison between the two..

Joshua13
02-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Yea I have no AR and only one SKS sooo I can't do the test but I would love to see results.

Zeegler
02-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Am i the only one who has a problem with the safety on these things? I like the convenient position of it, but when the safety is off, and I'm pulling the trigger, the inside edge is kinda sharp and every round I fire, it rubs against my finger. After 40 rounds, my finger gets sore. I guess I just can't think of anything else to bitch about.