PDA

View Full Version : A few questions (license and cleaning related)

SailorJerrys
02-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Howdy there guys, newbie to shooting (kind of) here, just finished my PAL yesterday, and completed RPAL today, and I'm going through the paper work (hopefully answered everything sufficiently.) and I'm coming down to the bit asking about the fee. Now, I know the fee for restricted is $80, but if I'm sending in my PAL and RPAL at the same time, do I only pay the one fee of $80? Also I take it that the 'proof that i have completed' the courses relates to the two sheets filled out by the instructor that says I passed and with what grade, etc or do I photo copy my course reports and send the copy? And finally, there's a third section in the training certification section that says 'safety training' I'm assuming this is for actual firearms trainers?

Also, my pops has a .22 that is pretty much mine now since he no longer uses it, and if I'm honest with you, I don't think he's ever cleaned the darn thing. I picked up a Hoppe's universal cleaning kit the other day, and I'm wondering if anyones got any tips for cleaning this sucker out? I don't plan on using it much besides for small game, since I'm going to get myself a higher caliber (something like a .30-06 or a .270).

Oh, also, how many of you actually went and got a professional to take your photo? I was honestly thinking I'd just get someone to take a picture with a camera or a phone and have it printed, professionals cost like.. twenty bucks a photo.

Cheers guys, looking forward to receiving my card!

Rory McCanuck
02-12-2017, 04:18 PM
Now, I know the fee for restricted is $80, but if I'm sending in my PAL and RPAL at the same time, do I only pay the one fee of $80? Yes.

Oh, also, how many of you actually went and got a professional to take your photo? I was honestly thinking I'd just get someone to take a picture with a camera or a phone and have it printed, professionals cost like.. twenty bucks a photo.
I did a couple at Superstore, their photo dept took the pic, pushe the PAL button, and it came out exactly the right size to suit the bureaucrats.

The last one, I had the pic taken at Wal-Mart, but renewed my PAL online.
I had to scan the pic and crop it to the right dimensions.
Then, when I tried to upload it, I had to change the resolution.
A bit of farting around, but no biggie.
The nice thing about a pro taking it is that the lighting, pose, border, ... is all right the first time.
Worth it for me rather than trying to set up a date with someone to take a pic and then have them get all upset when their camera breaks ;D

Also, my pops has a .22 that is pretty much mine now since he no longer uses it, and if I'm honest with you, I don't think he's ever cleaned the darn thing.
Many 22s have never been cleaned.
The bullets are wax coated, and this lubricates the bore and prevents lead from building up.
Just make sure the chamber doesn't have sand or grit in it, and it shouldn't give you any problems.

Grey_Wolf
02-12-2017, 04:51 PM
I would think that if you send it all in together the $80 fee will cover it. If really unsure and want to avoid any delays call the 800 line on Monday. I went to my local registries for the pic - I can be somewhat technologically challenged at times, moreso when trying to do things with the phone. Didn't know you could crop them on the phone!?

Whatever you do make sure that you keep a copy of every piece of paper that you put in the envelope! Things can go ..... missing, just sayin'

greywolf67nt
02-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Make sure you photocopy the paperwork the instructor gave you just in case something happens.
Send it registered so you know when it gets there so you can start your 28 day waiting period count.
For payment use your credit card so once the payment comes off you can call and get your reference number and get your references to call in.

magnumsmith
02-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Congratulations.
I renewed my License last summer. Took a selfie and did it online. No problems.

Grey_Wolf
02-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Make sure you photocopy the paperwork the instructor gave you just in case something happens.
Send it registered so you know when it gets there so you can start your 28 day waiting period count.
For payment use your credit card so once the payment comes off you can call and get your reference number and get your references to call in.

Excellent points. Forgot about them.

road kill
02-13-2017, 05:54 AM
I wouldn't send them in together, some rule they started enforcing that says you have to have a PAL before you can get an RPAL. Go to the web site and look at the frequently asked questions, they are changing things and not telling the instructors. You have to look at all the fine print. I went and looked but couldn't find any info, it just says you have to take both courses. Might not hurt to phone 1-800-731-4000.

Likeaboss
02-13-2017, 05:58 AM
I wouldn't send them in together, some rule they started enforcing that says you have to have a PAL before you can get an RPAL. Go to the web site and look at the frequently asked questions, they are changing things and not telling the instructors. You have to look at all the fine print.
Horse pucky

graz
02-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Photocopy the course results and send a copy. Plus, scan it and save a digital copy.

Cleaning a 22 is almost therapeutic in its simplicity. If it is a bolt action, remove the bolt so you can run the rod through from the breech end, rather than the muzzle end.

SailorJerrys
02-14-2017, 12:24 PM

Okay, a few more questions, cheers to everyone whose helped so far as well. I'll be paying with my credit card for certain. Also, when you say 'send it registered', what exactly do you mean?

As for my other questions, is it allowed to use family members as references? Since I don't really know many other people outside of work, and I've only just started working last year, and I'm not at a year just yet.

Oh, and do they call the photo guarantors?

Grey_Wolf
02-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Okay, a few more questions, cheers to everyone whose helped so far as well. I'll be paying with my credit card for certain. Also, when you say 'send it registered', what exactly do you mean?

As for my other questions, is it allowed to use family members as references? Since I don't really know many other people outside of work, and I've only just started working last year, and I'm not at a year just yet.

Oh, and do they call the photo guarantors?

Send it registered at the post office - gives you tracking and requires a signature to pick up. A safe guard from them claiming not to have received it

greywolf67nt
02-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Send it registered at the post office - gives you tracking and requires a signature to pick up. A safe gaurdnfrom them claiming not to have received it

^^^^^This here.
As far as I know you can use relatives just not your "Conjugal Partner".
Send ALL your paperwork together. The only requirement is you have COMPLETED the PAL COURSE not already have the licence.

greywolf67nt
02-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Double Tap