PDA

View Full Version : MAXIME BERNIER: "Canadian Firearms laws are broken, and I want to fix them."

coastal
02-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Rob,

Canadian Firearms laws are broken, and I want to fix them.

At the whim of a bureaucrat, firearms are assigned new classifications.

Legally purchased firearms are being made illegal, even though no laws have changed.

This needs to stop.

The firearms laws are so complicated, and so convoluted, that they have become the perfect example of injustice in the name of justice.

To fix this, I propose we replace the current Firearms Act with clear legislation based on reason, not on fear.

Firearms ownership is part of our shared Canadian heritage. We are a country founded on the fur trade. This needs to be recognized.

I also recognize that we need to protect public safety and avoid the excesses that exist south of the border.

There are three main areas to look at when considering firearms legislation. Licensing; classification of firearms; and magazine sizes.

I do not propose that we replace our current licensing system. Instead, we should ensure that firearms safety courses are more readily available, especially in rural and remote areas.

I will double the length of firearms licenses from 5 to 10 years.

Firearms license-holders are automatically subjected to daily background checks. If a firearms license-holder commits a crime, his or her license is revoked. There is no need to go through the renewal process every 5 years.

We need to provide clear, non-arbitrary legislation for what constitutes a non-restricted, restricted, or prohibited firearm.

Firearms should not be classified based on how they look, but on how they function.

I propose the following classifications:

Non-Restricted:

(a) a firearm that is not a prohibited or restricted firearm.

Prohibited:

(a) a fully-automatic firearm,

(b) a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted, is less than 660 mm in length.

(c) a firearm that is listed as prohibited prior to June 20, 2016.

Restricted:

(a) a firearm that is not a prohibited firearm,

(b) a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,

(c) a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise.

This is in line with the Simplified Classification System, adopted by Conservative members at the Policy Convention in Vancouver last year.

The current regulation of magazine sizes is irrational. Our internationally competitive shooters are forced to practice with magazines below standard capacity.

This makes no sense. Itís clear that those who are not inclined to follow the law will not be deterred by having to remove a rivet from a magazine.

My proposal would repeal the ineffective, and frankly nonsensical, magazine capacity restrictions.

The classification of firearms should not change by the whim of the RCMP, or cabinet. It should require a change in law through Parliament to re-classify a firearm.

To respect our Canadian tradition of firearms ownership, and the principle of fairness, I would have the Canadian government reimburse all firearms owners for their loss of property resulting from the implementation of Bill C-68, and any subsequent legislation that caused the confiscation of their legally purchased firearms.

This policy, like all my policies, is based on freedom and responsibility, fairness and respect.

I believe it is the right answer for firearms legislation in Canada.

If you agree, donate to my campaign by clicking here, right now.

Sincerely,

Maxime Bernier

http://www.maximebernier.com/

Pizzed
02-14-2017, 08:40 AM

That sucks. Can we at least shoot them then?

Doug_M
02-14-2017, 08:44 AM

It's a start. It would seem he is open to reason. Also one question not answered with the simplified classification system make previous OIC's that restricted or prohibited firearms in the past null and void? Or will those OIC's need to be removed by more OIC's

GaryCaine
02-14-2017, 08:48 AM

I sent him an email asking why he added that to the Simplified Classification System.

We'll see if he answers

kennymo
02-14-2017, 09:06 AM

This sounds familiar, like a line out of C-42 maybe?

Billythreefeathers
02-14-2017, 09:37 AM
well that would make any AR-15 longer the 660mm a NON restricted fire arm

R&R Rancher
02-14-2017, 10:10 AM
well that would make any AR-15 longer the 660mm a NON restricted fire arm

Shhhhhhh......

FlyingHigh
02-14-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm liking this guy more and more. Sure, he has a bit of baggage but who doesn't? Most importantly, i think he has a.chance of beating the trained monkey. I think i'll be backing him when we vote on leaders.

awndray
02-14-2017, 10:20 AM
I like the guy, but his emails have to be re-formatted. Cripes, it's annoying.

RangeBob
02-14-2017, 11:13 AM
This is in line with the Simplified Classification System, adopted by Conservative members at the Policy Convention in Vancouver last year.
Which is to say that it is not the "Simplified Classification System" that Conservative members adopted, where the intent is that anyone can look at a firearm and apply the law by following the steps 1.2.3.4 and applying the conditions,
instead it's the "Status Quo System, Simplified" so he can sell it by saying "it doesn't change anything leftists are worried about".

Waterloomike
02-14-2017, 11:15 AM
I'm open to the possibility with him as leader.

However, I'm still worried about his connection to powercorp.

All of the Quebec pms have had strong connections to powercorp.

I also question the wisdom of so many pms coming from Quebec via powercorp.

He could be fine, but I want to know more.

RangeBob
02-14-2017, 11:17 AM
My proposal would repeal the ineffective, and frankly nonsensical, magazine capacity restrictions.
That doesn't say which magazine capacity restrictions he considers ineffective and nonsensical. Presumably he would include the recent 10/22 ban. But does it include others?

No statement of if he intends to replace it with some other 'effective and sensical' magazine capacity restrictions.

coastal
02-14-2017, 11:22 AM
That doesn't say which magazine capacity restrictions he considers ineffective and nonsensical. Presumably he would include the recent 10/22 ban. But does it include others?

No statement of if he intends to replace it with some other 'effective and sensical' magazine capacity restrictions.

The current regulation of magazine sizes is irrational. Our internationally competitive shooters are forced to practice with magazines below standard capacity.
This makes no sense. It’s clear that those who are not inclined to follow the law will not be deterred by having to remove a rivet from a magazine.

That says full capacity magazines would be legal to me.

RangeBob
02-14-2017, 12:04 PM
That says full capacity magazines would be legal to me.

Our internationally competitive shooters are forced to practice with magazines below standard capacity.

That is promising. I missed that in my first read. Thanks.

CLW .45
02-14-2017, 12:12 PM
It's a start. It would seem he is open to reason. Also one question not answered with the simplified classification system make previous OIC's that restricted or prohibited firearms in the past null and void? Or will those OIC's need to be removed by more OIC's

Those OIC's need to be removed by legislation that disallows using OIC's to classify firearms, devices, or ammunition.

CLW .45
02-14-2017, 12:16 PM
My response to Maxime.

Maxime

You say:

"There are three main areas to look at when considering firearms legislation. Licensing; classification of firearms; and magazine sizes."

Close, but no cigar.

The three areas that must be dealt with are:

1. Criminalization of the mere use, carriage, and possession of firearms.

2. Prohibition of firearms, devices, and ammunition.

3. The use of "need" to deny access to the provisions in current law for carriage and possession of firearms to protect life.

Those three must be addressed in a manner that stops the headlong rush to disarm the people of Canada.

PS

"...avoid the excesses that exist south of the border."

I would certainly hope so. The Americans have approximately 20,000 laws on the books that violate the rights of their citizens to keep and bear arms. Rights that were a part of their heritage as Englishmen. Rights that are also ours. Rights recognized formally in Magna Carta, but informally long before that document existed.

CLW .45

Doug_M
02-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Those OIC's need to be removed by legislation that disallows using OIC's to classify firearms, devices, or ammunition.

Perhaps that is what he means with this:

The classification of firearms should not change by the whim of the RCMP, or cabinet. It should require a change in law through Parliament to re-classify a firearm.

murph83
02-14-2017, 12:50 PM
Lets not forget that in all of this, Bernier has to be sure to word things in such a manner as to not scare those folks that don't understand fireams laws etc. Those folks will be easy targets for the anti gun crowd to gang up on. Bernier has to try and send a message that is easy to digest for everyone. By my standards, his gun policy is good, but not good enough...and I admit that my standards for freedom are extremely high.( no laws, rules or regs of any kind, honest folk dont need them) Given what we have in this country, I think we would be foolish to let this chance slip by. Bernier is as close to a liberty and freedom lovin politician as we have seen in a long time.

Zinilin
02-14-2017, 01:19 PM
Which is to say that it is not the "Simplified Classification System" that Conservative members adopted, where the intent is that anyone can look at a firearm and apply the law by following the steps 1.2.3.4 and applying the conditions,
instead it's the "Status Quo System, Simplified" so he can sell it by saying "it doesn't change anything leftists are worried about".

In general Maxime is not committed to implementing many policies that were adoptoed by the Conservative party like the Simplified Firearms Classification System or Supply Management.

What is the point of having party conventions and voting for policies if they are just ignored?

lone-wolf
02-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Not a bad start

shootemup604
02-14-2017, 09:08 PM
It was very encouraging to receive that email. Combined with his other proposed policies, he may get my vote.

Pizzed
02-15-2017, 06:32 AM
Here are the links on his website:

http://www.maximebernier.com/a_fair_gun_policy_for_canada
http://fr.maximebernier.com/une_politique_d_armes_feu_quitable

Sadosubliminal
02-15-2017, 08:35 AM
An effort has been made here to listen to the community, and to understand the issues we have with the FA. That's way more than other candidates have done. It's a start, at least.

newshooter
02-15-2017, 09:38 AM
He completely left how useless the transportation restrictions are. Too many hunters are mauled to death holding loaded long-guns. We need sidearms in rural municipalities and parks.

awndray
02-15-2017, 10:02 AM
To everybody complaining about Bernier's policy, write him and let him know. Telling us here isn't really doing anyone any favors.

LB303
02-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Bernier is as close to a liberty and freedom lovin politician who can beat Justin on his home turf as we have seen in a long time.

Fixed it for ya

Billythreefeathers
02-15-2017, 12:30 PM
To everybody complaining about Bernier's policy, write him and let him know. Telling us here isn't really doing anyone any favors.

right there,,, when they are on the campaign trail it's about the only time they are listening,,, AND buy a membership then you can vote in the leadership

coastal
02-15-2017, 10:13 PM
An update and clarification from Maxime, didn't see this posted:

Rob, look at how far weíve come.

Yesterday I announced a full firearms policy for Canada.

It would make many AR-15s non-restricted.

It would remove all magazine capacity limits.

It would take the power to reclassify firearms out of the RCMP and Cabinet, and make it so that all changes to classification require a change to the law, through the House of Commons and Senate.

And the media?

Not a chirp.

No news is good news.

It means that firearms are becoming less taboo in Canada.

And thatís a good thing.

Because we need rational discussion, not fiery emotions.

We need laws that make sense, and that are based on measurement and results.

Not laws based on fear.

It seems like the undeserved stigma against gun owners in Canada might finally be fading.

But freedom-lovers like myself canít give up the fight.

Malus
02-16-2017, 01:08 PM
It will obviously have to fall back under government control since we've signed onto the UN agreement, the UN will start deciding, not the RCMP (they will just enforce)....

Swampdonkey
02-16-2017, 03:25 PM
It will obviously have to fall back under government control since we've signed onto the UN agreement, the UN will start deciding, not the RCMP (they will just enforce)....

The UN wouldn't do much.

Run 'n' Gun
02-16-2017, 03:32 PM
The UN wouldn't do much.

If we sign onto that stupid treaty, couldn't the UN start dictating terms? I know it wouldn't carry much weight, but all it takes some retard snowflake (who happens to have a majority) to say, heck ya, lets ban things, for reasons.