PDA

View Full Version : Got an SKS. What next?

Zeegler
02-28-2017, 02:27 PM
I have a 1950 Tula SKS. It's not a beauty queen by any stretch, but it's a cheap fun rifle and ammo is cheap. At some point I may pick up another just because they're so damn cheap. The thing is, the SKS has gotten me more interested in other vintage military rifles, but I don't want this hobby to start turning into a money pit. (guitars and amps do that already). So what would my other options be for reasonably priced rifles? It looks like M1 Garands seem to go for a fair bit more than what I would call cheap. Why so expensive? Didn't they manufacture millions of the damn things? It looks like I could get a beat to shit Lee Enfield for cheap, but is it worth it? What should a serviceable Lee Enfield be going for? The VZ52 has my interest because it seems a little less common, and I kinda like more obscure stuff, but due to that fact, they are harder to find. What else should be on my radar?

kennymo
02-28-2017, 03:01 PM
Offbeat Mausers are still pretty cheap, most of them are some version of the 98 or K98 built by Mauser, Steyr, FN, etc... Mostly the ones sold to South American Militaries. Some odd chamberings but 7x57, 8x57, 30.06 and 8x57 can be had, rifles built by the real craftsmen but not dragged through the big war so collector value is low. For a Mauser you plan on shooting they're a great deal, some are $400 and less....

Also keep your eyes peeled for $500 Lee Enfields and P14/M1917 Enfields. Still the odd good deal out there on the less collectable ones....

TheHydrant
02-28-2017, 03:21 PM
Ahhh guitars and amps. I went bankrupt because of that....and a lot of help from my exwife

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Zeegler
02-28-2017, 03:38 PM
I guess another question I should be asking, is where would be the best place to look for vintage firearms for sale?

Sinbad
02-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Google what your looking for Canada only and gun shows.

madmoney
02-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Get a norinco M14/M305 and a cheap crate of 7.62x51. Great fun!

TheGreatBeard
03-01-2017, 06:34 AM
A Mosin Nagant is a good bet.Can still be found for under $200. I buy surplus ammo for it at $170 for 400 rounds. Mosin Nagant rifles can be found at most Canadian Tire stores that have firearms.

TheGreatBeard
03-01-2017, 06:45 AM
I'm on my cell so I can't get a link but xtreme gun shooting center in Winnipeg has a variety of stuff you might like. SKS, Mosin Nagant and the PU. As well. They also have the long and short version of the Norinco 305 (M14) that I highly recommended.

Justice
03-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Guitars and amps ever increase in value?
M1 Rifles are about supply and demand. None made since the early to mid 50's either. And there have been hordes of movies with 'em.
"...Didn't they manufacture millions of the..." Yep. Not as many as M1 Carbines and they(milsurps) run close to a grand too. And are restricted. Plus millions of both have since been destroyed or are sitting in crates on the bottom of oceans. Even "cheap" Mosin-Nagants aren't cheap any more.
"...a serviceable Lee Enfield..." What model? Makes a difference price and availability-wise. Do not buy any Lee-Enfield without proof of good headspace either. Especially if you opt for a No. I. Fixing bad headspace is easy, but it requires having a correct size bolt head. No. I bolt heads are not numbered and you need a handful to try with proper headspace gauges. At about $30Cdn each.
A VZ52 runs $795 at Collector's Source. Chambered for the 7.62 X 45 mm for which there's no ammo. There is a 7.62 x 39 variant if you can find one.

Swampdonkey
03-01-2017, 02:11 PM
M96 Swedish Mauser. Great shooters, can be had reasonably cheap even with bayonet and cleaning kit. There are also modern rifles chambered in 6.5x55, keeping you ammunition diversity down.

What's your locality?

Zeegler
03-01-2017, 02:44 PM
Guitars and amps ever increase in value?

I would venture to say much more so than firearms. Let's see... an original 59 Les Paul can easily bring $200,000 - $500,000 and we're not even talking about celebrity owned guitars here. This is of course an extreme example, but many vintage guitars have increased in value, as have certain amplifier models.

Zeegler
03-01-2017, 02:48 PM
M96 Swedish Mauser. Great shooters, can be had reasonably cheap even with bayonet and cleaning kit. There are also modern rifles chambered in 6.5x55, keeping you ammunition diversity down.

What's your locality?

I'm in Southeast Ontario, Niagara region. I think I'd really like a decent Lee Enfield No.4 MkI. When I say decent, I'm not concerned so much about it being 100% original. If it's been sporterized, that can be reversed. I'm not overly concerned about it being numbers matching. I'm not looking for a rare gun that I can show off with. I plan on shooting it, so it has to be functional, and not a basket case.

TheGreatBeard
03-01-2017, 08:36 PM
Mosin-Nagants aren't cheap any more.

Well, I guess it depends on what you think cheap is. I'd say $180 is a damn good price.

Petamocto
03-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Congratulations on your SKS purchase.

It's my favourite gun of all time and there's nothing wrong with it at all.

Rory McCanuck
03-01-2017, 09:46 PM
Finally coming around eh? ;D

Zeegler
03-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Finally coming around eh? ;D

He was beaten into submission. ;D

kennymo
03-02-2017, 09:57 AM
He was beaten into submission. ;D

With a Russian issue SKS stock?

road kill
03-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Well I was going to point you in Petamocto's direction for SKS advise but I guess you've been there.;D I would also vote for the 96 Swede, good rifles and good shooters.

FALover
03-02-2017, 10:19 AM
You want to have some fun, maybe get a deal of a steal? Possibly spend a crapload more cash than you thought possible? Get to a auction! http://www.landsboroughauctions.com/current-sales/

Three weeks away. The catalog will be online soon. Saturday is what you are looking for. Friday is for prohibited firearms (some small misc. lots as well) It takes some homework and willpower but the experience is priceless. Homework, KNOW YOUR PRICES. Willpower,DO NOT GO OVER A PRE-SET LIMIT! Priceless, watching newbies spend more than retail when they caught up in a bidding frenzy! Figure in the taxes and buyers premium before hand as that adds up fast. If not anything, watch who buys at what prices. The pros know what everything is worth and if they want it, they will get it. I will be online for both. Best wishes on your journey into madness.
:run:

p.s. If you check up the pre-bidding online, you get an idea of the going rate for various firearms in various degrees of condition. (homework)

Zeegler
03-02-2017, 11:49 AM
You want to have some fun, maybe get a deal of a steal? Possibly spend a crapload more cash than you thought possible? Get to a auction! http://www.landsboroughauctions.com/current-sales/

Three weeks away. The catalog will be online soon. Saturday is what you are looking for. Friday is for prohibited firearms (some small misc. lots as well) It takes some homework and willpower but the experience is priceless. Homework, KNOW YOUR PRICES. Willpower,DO NOT GO OVER A PRE-SET LIMIT! Priceless, watching newbies spend more than retail when they caught up in a bidding frenzy! Figure in the taxes and buyers premium before hand as that adds up fast. If not anything, watch who buys at what prices. The pros know what everything is worth and if they want it, they will get it. I will be online for both. Best wishes on your journey into madness.
:run:

p.s. If you check up the pre-bidding online, you get an idea of the going rate for various firearms in various degrees of condition. (homework)
Thanks Fall. I actually might be able to make it down there for that. I'll keep an eye out for the catalog.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Zeegler
05-14-2017, 07:51 AM
Figured I'd update this thread since I have picked up a couple of guns since I started this. I got myself a 1915 BSA No1 mkIII Lee Enfield. It is sporterized, but numbers matching and worth restoring at some point. Shoots really nice. I also ended up grabbing another SKS, and it's MUCH nicer than the first one. It looks to be unissued, and definitely un-refurbed. Very nice shooter. Currently I'm awaiting delivery of a Ljungman AG42b, and I'm extremely excited to get it and take it to the range and see if it really is as accurate as I've heard they are. Next on my list is the VZ 52/57, a Finnish M39, Mauser K98, etc....

Malus
05-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Figured I'd update this thread since I have picked up a couple of guns since I started this. I got myself a 1915 BSA No1 mkIII Lee Enfield. It is sporterized, but numbers matching and worth restoring at some point. Shoots really nice. I also ended up grabbing another SKS, and it's MUCH nicer than the first one. It looks to be unissued, and definitely un-refurbed. Very nice shooter. Currently I'm awaiting delivery of a Ljungman AG42b, and I'm extremely excited to get it and take it to the range and see if it really is as accurate as I've heard they are. Next on my list is the VZ 52/57, a Finnish M39, Mauser K98, etc....

"but I don't want this hobby to start turning into a money pit."

SIR VEYOR
05-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Congratulations on your SKS purchase.

It's my favourite gun of all time and there's nothing wrong with it at all.

Has your account been hacked?

The reply is short, and in favour of what seemed to be your firearm Anti-Christ.

Have you converted to a non-porcine eating religion as well?

Do you now approve of Mr Trudeau?

What other life affirming changes have you made?

DasMauser
05-14-2017, 01:18 PM

Not planning on making it a money pit eh? Lol. No one plans on it, just happens, more so if you're a milsurp guy like myself, which you seem to be.

A wise man once said, make sure you can get quality ammo supply before you get the gun. 8x57 js for my K98 is getting tougher to find, though I do love that rifle.

Just wait, the reloading bug will be along to nip you shortly

Rory McCanuck
05-14-2017, 09:48 PM
Just wait, the reloading bug will be along to nip you shortly
Talk about a money pit ;D

Zeegler
05-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Talk about a money pit ;D

Yeah I think I understand how it works. You buy hundreds of dollars worth of re-loading gear to save a few cents per round on ammo, and end up shooting 3 times as much, therefore costing yourself way more when all is said and done. Sign me up!!!

Eel
05-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Yeah I think I understand how it works. You buy hundreds of dollars worth of re-loading gear to save a few cents per round on ammo, and end up shooting 3 times as much, therefore costing yourself way more when all is said and done. Sign me up!!!

This is exactly what happened to me. I'm only loading i caliber right now, and I'm definitely "saving" reloading :run:

DILLIGAF
05-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Got an SKS. What next?

All of these X39's

Chinese SKS-D
Egyptian Rasheed
Czech Vz52/57
Czech Cz858

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15589571_10154874962678552_6548939681244362613_n.j pg?oh=51d3bbf90159d7b6ea5c37b5c526074a&oe=59A94B58

Billythreefeathers
05-16-2017, 04:03 PM

Welcome to being poor ;)

Rory McCanuck
05-16-2017, 08:26 PM
This is exactly what happened to me. I'm only loading i caliber right now, and I'm definitely "saving" reloading :run:

Yeah, if I 'save' much more I'll be living in a cardboard box ;D
But I have as much fun, or more, from reloading rather than shooting.
Often I'm just shooting to make empty brass ;)

Zeegler
05-17-2017, 05:27 AM
All of these X39's

Chinese SKS-D
Egyptian Rasheed
Czech Vz52/57
Czech Cz858

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15589571_10154874962678552_6548939681244362613_n.j pg?oh=51d3bbf90159d7b6ea5c37b5c526074a&oe=59A94B58
Oh you'd better believe the VZ 52/57 is next on my list. They're getting expensive though. After that, probably a K-31. And then...well, you know how it goes.

Eel
05-17-2017, 11:23 AM
Yeah, if I 'save' much more I'll be living in a cardboard box ;D
But I have as much fun, or more, from reloading rather than shooting.
Often I'm just shooting to make empty brass ;)

I've found that reloading is a zen like experience, every step is critical to a performance product when you are complete. I showed my wife (who wants nothing to do with firearms) a box of match grade ammo then showed her the math for what it costs to reload, and she loves that I am "saving" so much lol. I still have to build my tumbler though, so I have an excuse to go shooting to make empty brass lol. :)

Zeegler
05-23-2017, 09:10 PM
Here's my new to me AG42b. I don't know about you guys, but I think she's gorgeous! I have some ammo arriving tomorrow, so I hope to be at the range on Saturday to make some noise.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/zeegler/IMG_20170522_185850_zps16vpcsiw.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/zeegler/IMG_20170522_185900_zpstilduq2q.jpg

Zeegler
05-23-2017, 09:13 PM
wtf is wrong with Photobucket now?