PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Issue. Maybe.

FlyingHigh
09-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I've been having problems with one of my rifles and scopes. The rifle is a Savage 93G in .22WMR and the scope is a Vortex Crossfire 3-9x40mm. I can't seem to get it to hold a zero. I can get it minute of gopher at 100 - 120 yards and shoot steadily with it for awhile. Then i put it away, take it out a few days later and all of a sudden can't hit the broad side of a barn.

It happened to me at the gopher shoot. I'd dialed it before leaving. Upon arrival, i wanted to fine tune it. Found it to be out about 10". Got it back on target. Then stupid me, I knocked the rifle off it's bipod. It landed in thick, high grass. Soft enough it didn't make a sound. I made a test fire shot and oddly i was about 2' high and 3' to the left. got it zeroed again and treated it like an eggshell the rest of the weekend. i'll take it out later this week and see if it's been knocked out.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40mm that i've dropped, smacked and otherwise abused and it holds zero. Even took a tumble about 20ft down a hill without losing zero, never mind being bumped off a 6" bipod. I also have an El Cheapo Tasco on my 10/22 that's be abused even more so and it'll hold zero.

A friend recently bought a Vortex (Can't remember the model, but it's higher up than a Crossfire) and zeroed it at the gopher shoot as well. It shot pretty good then. He got it home, and went shooting tonight. Like me, he bumped it off the bipod and now he can't get in on paper for the life of him.

Are Vortex optics known for being sensitive to impact?

jwirecom109
09-05-2012, 10:30 PM
I bang around my viper pst all day long on my ar15, no issues.

But if your worried send it in get a new one

Satain
09-06-2012, 12:15 AM
I've been having problems with one of my rifles and scopes. The rifle is a Savage 93G in .22WMR and the scope is a Vortex Crossfire 3-9x40mm. I can't seem to get it to hold a zero. I can get it minute of gopher at 100 - 120 yards and shoot steadily with it for awhile. Then i put it away, take it out a few days later and all of a sudden can't hit the broad side of a barn.

It happened to me at the gopher shoot. I'd dialed it before leaving. Upon arrival, i wanted to fine tune it. Found it to be out about 10". Got it back on target. Then stupid me, I knocked the rifle off it's bipod. It landed in thick, high grass. Soft enough it didn't make a sound. I made a test fire shot and oddly i was about 2' high and 3' to the left. got it zeroed again and treated it like an eggshell the rest of the weekend. i'll take it out later this week and see if it's been knocked out.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40mm that i've dropped, smacked and otherwise abused and it holds zero. Even took a tumble about 20ft down a hill without losing zero, never mind being bumped off a 6" bipod. I also have an El Cheapo Tasco on my 10/22 that's be abused even more so and it'll hold zero.

A friend recently bought a Vortex (Can't remember the model, but it's higher up than a Crossfire) and zeroed it at the gopher shoot as well. It shot pretty good then. He got it home, and went shooting tonight. Like me, he bumped it off the bipod and now he can't get in on paper for the life of him.

Are Vortex optics known for being sensitive to impact?
Yep.
Crossfire made in China.
NP though. Just bring it back to any Vortex dealer and they will give you a new 1. Also look into ScopeCoats. They rock & take alot of the abuse instead of your optic's ;)

mlehto
09-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Sounds like either the scope or how it is mounted.

I would double check everything is tight, but if it is then I would blame the scope.

Vortex is really not impressing me with all the issues lately. A great warranty is one thing, but I would prefer a great product. When they first came on the scene and the warranty service was boasted, I was very interested in buying one of their scopes, but to this day I haven't after the countless stories of issues.

Drache
09-06-2012, 07:42 AM
After the Earthquake in Japan all their Japanese made scopes are now made in China. Their original Crossfire line was amazing until they discontinued it and brought in their Crossfire II. My Crossfire 6-24 has been on so many different rifles it's like the town whore. Always been accurate. Right now my dad and I are fighting over it actually. It's currently on his Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag hunting rifle and I want it for my Savage 10 FCP-SR precision rifle.

I've stood by Vortex Optics since they first came into Canada. I was actually supposed to be one of the first to carry them but my store went under. But after they discontinued the one line and replaced it with an inferior product (in my eyes) I haven't been so quick to jump on the boat again.

JustBen
09-06-2012, 09:32 AM
I'll throw another guess out there... is your rifle wood stocked? Changes in humidity with wood stocked rifles can change your point of impact from one day to the next. Bumping the rifle can also move the point where the rifle contacts the stock too. I had this problem with my one Remington 788... replaced the stock with a synthetic, bedded it, and it shoots consistently now. Free floating the barrel and bedding the action can fix things too.

Haywire1
09-06-2012, 03:59 PM
FH's rifle is wood stocked, however the other rifle with the same scope isnt. Meanwhile my cheap arse Tasco just kept right on no matter what I did to it.

Katana
09-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Sounds like either the scope or how it is mounted.

I would double check everything is tight, but if it is then I would blame the scope.

Vortex is really not impressing me with all the issues lately. A great warranty is one thing, but I would prefer a great product. When they first came on the scene and the warranty service was boasted, I was very interested in buying one of their scopes, but to this day I haven't after the countless stories of issues.

Im not sure that saying there QC or product is sub because of some failures. I've heard the same for all the big scope makes from Leopold to Bushnell and all in between. I read a post where someone bought a Leopold with a Redfield Accu-range reticle in it.

All have had there share of problems. Has Vortex had some problems, sure they have. No one had a 100% track record.

I can't guess how many Vortex scopes there are in N America but the number of problems I've been reading are probably par for the course IMHO.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

FlyingHigh
09-06-2012, 07:51 PM
well, i'll be returning the scope for a new one in the near future. it was out again today. it would shoot fine for a few shots, then go wonky, then come back on target. all without me touching a thing.

oddly enough, my Elite 3200 on the 7mm Rem Mag was minute of gopher at 120 yards, as usual...

M0FuK1Dy
09-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Yeah, mine is a Vortex Crossfire 6-18x44. Held zero at the gopher shoot all weekend, took it out yesterday and was going way high and right. Couldn't for the life of me get it back on paper. Brought it into the shop, they looked at it, rebore sighted it. Brought it back out today with FH and nothing had changed. I'll be getting it exchanged for a new one, and if it turns into a piece of junk as well, I'll be exchanging for a different brand.

FlyingHigh
09-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Minor update:

I'll be taking mine in tomorrow. After talking to one of the guys at work who also shoots, it appears that the issue me and Mo are having isn't uncommon. He has a Vortex Viper sitting in his safe that won't hold zero either. Told him to take it in and get it replaced.

If a $700+ Viper won't hold zero any better than my $150 Crossfire, I'm thinking I may look to another brand for my future scopes. Too bad, cause the price is right on the Vortex line up.

Drache
09-08-2012, 08:06 PM
That is too bad! I bought one of the first Crossfire scopes in 6-24 and the thing is a tank! Been on many different rifles. But like I said, after the Tsunami, Vortex moved the japanese scope factory to China.

M.T. Chambers
09-08-2012, 10:16 PM
I think that they got off to a good start because they flooded the market (TV) with advertising, when i see that much advertising, alarm bells go off. Most chinese shooting products don't have a happy ending.

Drache
09-09-2012, 06:29 AM
I think that they got off to a good start because they flooded the market (TV) with advertising, when i see that much advertising, alarm bells go off. Most chinese shooting products don't have a happy ending.

Not all of their scopes were made in China though. There were 4 different countries if I remember correctly where their scopes were made, it depended on what line of scope you bought. Simmons scopes are made in China and have been going strong for many years.

Redfield (like Vortex) have some scopes made in the Philippines using Japanese glass. These are decent scopes. Redfield is also owned by Leupold I should point out. I should also mention that Nikon does the same thing. Some of their scopes are made in the Philippines with Japanese glass.

M0FuK1Dy
09-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Well an update on my scope. Turns out it was bent. I racked my brain all day before I went in and couldn't think of anything that could cause the tube to bend. It did get bumped over on my carpet while it was sitting on the bipod but that shouldn't be enough to bend it. When I got to the store and saw where it was bent I was even more confused. It did not reflect any sort of evidence that could be the result of the roll. Oh well. Got it swapped, shoots like a boss now. We'll see how it holds up

FlyingHigh
09-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Update for my scope:

I finally managed to take it into the shop today. Straight across trade on a new one. Only thing was, they didn't have it with a mil-dot reticle like my faulty one had. "No worries" I said. Took it home and went to put in on the gun. It was then I realized that they had "upgraded" me to the version with a V-Brite illuminated reticle. Score. Got 'er mounted and I'll give it a test run later this week. I'd do it tomorrow, but there's some grayling that I need to go harass tomorrow with my fly rod before the season closes in a month. :)

I'll post another update on how the new scope works out when I get it out.

BuckingFastard
09-30-2012, 07:43 PM
I found the vortex line up to be awesome, I sold all my Zeiss's and replaced them with 3 crossfires on rimfires, 3 diamondbacks on varmint centerfires and 6 vipers on my large caliber hunting rifles and haven't had an issue with any of them. When I first read your post I had a similar experience on my 22wmr but bought new rings that I cheaped out on in the first place and fixed my problem. I'm glad to hear that easy to swap if something ever does happen.

M.T. Chambers
10-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Ya well I sold all my Nightforces and Schmit & Bender, and bought new Tascos!

FlyingHigh
10-27-2012, 08:26 PM
How's that workin' out for ya?

BuckingFastard
10-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Sounds like an S-M-R-T thing to do